Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Birds in the grocery store!

jill wrote:
> Hi Curly Sue,
> just wanted to point out that I am jill stardust because I noticed
> there is another Jill here (she seems to go by Jill with a capitol J)
> Hi Jill who owns birds
> jill stardust

Hi jill with a lower-case j I've been hanging around here for going on
10 years now; welcome to the group!

Jill

> Curly Sue wrote:
>> On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 13:23:51 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
>> > wrote:

>>> How would you suggest they catch them? The store ceilings are to
>>> high and two of the stores are open 24/7 so cannot turn the lights
>>> off...

>> They should figure something out. Other places manage, they can as
>> well.
>>
>>> Only the produce is at risk and I've never seen the birds hang out
>>> in the meat area, plus the meat is all wrapped.
>>>
>>> Anyone that does not wash their produce prior to eating it is
>>> foolish anyway. Fellow customers that handle the produce ahead of
>>> me without washing their hands are a far bigger disease hazard than
>>> a few random bird droppings.

>> No, the customers are at risk too. I don't want to have to shop with
>> an umbrella!
>>
>> Jill is right; why not let rats, mice, cats, hamsters, dogs, pigs,
>> snakes, chickens, squirrels, flies, peacocks, etc. into grocery
>> stores as well as birds if the greatest danger is from fellow
>> customers?
>>
>> Sue(tm)
>> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blair P. Houghton wrote:
> OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:
>> All three of our local supermarkets, due to the size of the ceilings,
>> have a small population of wild birds that live inside of them. ;-)
>> Mostly sparrows.

> Ugh.
>
> That's hideous.
>
> Birds leave nasty shit everywhere.
>
> Those birds are feeding on the produce section when
> the store is closed.

Where the hell do you come up with your facts, Blair? Good lord, when is
the last time you saw a sparrow chowing down on lettuce or squash? They eat
seed; they don't even eat bugs or worms. There are *some* birds that will
peck at tomatoes but the primary culprits for that are squirrels. You don't
see squirrels running around in grocery stores, do you? (If you do, I
suggest you consult your psychiatrist LOL)

It would be pretty obvious to the folks who work in produce if the tomatoes
or other items had all been pecked over. And while I've seen a lot of birds
flying in and out of places like Lowe's and Home Depot, I have *never* seen
bird shit on any items in a grocery store. Can you actually say you have?!
Get a grip. Salmonella... sheesh!

Oh, by the way... I hope you never grow a vegetable garden... there are
birds out there!!!!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Julia Altshuler > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Julia Altshuler > wrote:

> >>I know they're something of a health hazard because of the droppings,
> >>but I still love them. There used to be birds in the X-tra when I lived
> >>in Miami. Now I go out of my way to shop at a smaller supermarket where
> >>I like the price, selection, and people better (and lack of Big Brother
> >>loyalty cards) and where they don't have birds. Gotta make some sacrifices!

> > I normally shop at the smallest store in town because it's closest to my
> > house, and it's easier to navigate. :-) They still have birds. Must be a
> > very small store?

> No, it is the size of the old fashioned A & P. I still think of it as a
> supermarket. I think of the giant stores like BJ's as the giant ones.
> I'd guess the reason for no birds is careful shooing them out and making
> sure the ceilings aren't desirable places to nest. I never thought
> about it before, but it's reasonable that I'm one of the few people in
> the New England area from a Southern state who is used to birds in the
> supermarket and likes them. Natives might be horrified.
>

> And I would point out that the people who have noted that birds living
> overhead are right: they are a health hazard. I just like them anyway.
>

> --Lia

Unless one closes themselves up in a sterile environment and never goes
outside, birds are no more of a health hazard indoors as outdoors. ;-)

Never had bird crap on your car?

Do you ever picnic or eat out of doors?
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"jill" > wrote:

> It is not my responsibility to have anything to do with catching birds,
> the birds are not flying into my kitchen. I agree that hand washing is
> needed, my point is that I cannot get away with unsafe food facilities
> and I am very small time, large stores have thousands of people coming
> through which makes it a potential community hazard. and large stores
> can get away with this? Who paid off whom that this goes unchecked?
> Where do you live? Health and Food Inspectors in that area need to
> figure out how to fix the bird problem.
> jill stardust

It's common in a lot of areas, not just in the South. The stores are
just too large to really be able to do anything about it.

Our local store might have to soon tho', the sparrow population indoors
is getting to be a bit out of hand. ;-) I saw at least a dozen of them
in there the other day.

I don't mind them but I'm sure there are others that do...

and they are having babies.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Blair P. Houghton > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:
> >All three of our local supermarkets, due to the size of the ceilings,
> >have a small population of wild birds that live inside of them. ;-)
> >Mostly sparrows.

> Ugh.
>
> That's hideous.
>
> Birds leave nasty shit everywhere.
>
> Those birds are feeding on the produce section when
> the store is closed.
>
> Birdshit = salmonella.
>
> Yecch.
>
> The health department should have those stores de-birded
> and bleached from top to bottom before they can reopen.
>
> --Blair

Unlikely.......

The staff says that they are mostly eating food on the pet isle. I don't
really see them that often over in produce.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"-L." > wrote:

> Stan Horwitz wrote:
>
> *And* if you are bitten by any unknown animal - wild or domestic, never
> let it go. If he had saved the bat, they could have checked it for
> rabies and the cost would have been about $200 or less. Bats are the
> #1 carrier of rabies in the US - not a good animal to get bitten by!
> -L.

Only because of their sheer numbers... The actual bat infection rate is
statistically .001% last time I read up on it. Around here, skunks are
the biggest carriers with raccoons about #3.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> Blair P. Houghton wrote:
> > OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:
> >> All three of our local supermarkets, due to the size of the ceilings,
> >> have a small population of wild birds that live inside of them. ;-)
> >> Mostly sparrows.

> > Ugh.
> >
> > That's hideous.
> >
> > Birds leave nasty shit everywhere.
> >
> > Those birds are feeding on the produce section when
> > the store is closed.
> >

> Where the hell do you come up with your facts, Blair? Good lord, when is
> the last time you saw a sparrow chowing down on lettuce or squash? They eat
> seed; they don't even eat bugs or worms. There are *some* birds that will
> peck at tomatoes but the primary culprits for that are squirrels. You don't
> see squirrels running around in grocery stores, do you? (If you do, I
> suggest you consult your psychiatrist LOL)
>
> It would be pretty obvious to the folks who work in produce if the tomatoes
> or other items had all been pecked over. And while I've seen a lot of birds
> flying in and out of places like Lowe's and Home Depot, I have *never* seen
> bird shit on any items in a grocery store. Can you actually say you have?!
> Get a grip. Salmonella... sheesh!
>
> Oh, by the way... I hope you never grow a vegetable garden... there are
> birds out there!!!!
>
> Jill

That is true... Despite the birds in the store, I have yet to _ever_ see
crap on any of the food items! Like I said before, the sparrows mostly
hang out in the pet food isle. They eat spilled bird seed, and cat and
dog food from damaged bags.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 16:04:00 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> wrote:

>In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
>> > One of the clerks at Lowe's tells me that some of the birds have
>> > learned
>> > to activate the door sensors. :-) They then come in and hang out on
>> > the
>> > bird seed isle.

>> LOL! Birds aren't stupid. I've been raising them for years and I know how
>> intelligent they are.
>>
>> Jill

>Indeed... :-)
>
>Sparrows especially seem to be very successful!

Cockroaches too!

Sue(tm)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
(Curly Sue) wrote:

> On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 16:04:00 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> > wrote:

> >> LOL! Birds aren't stupid. I've been raising them for years and I know how
> >> intelligent they are.
> >>
> >> Jill

> >Indeed... :-)
> >
> >Sparrows especially seem to be very successful!

> Cockroaches too!
>
> Sue(tm)
> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

<lol> So far, I've never seen a palmetto roach at the grocery store, but
I have seen them at work at night, or early in the morning.

Palmetto roaches are a given here in the South. Cockroaches so big they
need saddles. It's one MAJOR reason why I NEVER leave food out on the
stove, nor are dirty dishes allowed to sit around for more than a few
hours. I wash dishes 2 or 3 times per day and the kitchen must be clean
before I go to bed.

You'd think the pet food dishes would attract them (kibbles are
available for the cats 24/7) but they don't. I rarely find palmetto
roaches in the house anymore and if I do, I generally only find pieces.
<G> They make great cat toys. The cats love those nasty things!

I also have a population of geckos laying eggs in my attic. Phone line
and cable people have reported egg bunches around the edges near the
eaves where there is outdoor access. I imagine the gecko population
keeps the bugs under control, as do the anole lizards, western fence
lizards, toads and spiders in the yard. I minimize pesticide use so have
LOTS of natural predators. I learned years ago that natural predators
were far, far better for pest control than pesticide use. I use it only
when I have to.

A perfect example is mealy bug and scale. I had a _horrible_ scale
infestation in the greenhouse last winter! And quite a few mealy bugs.
Spray pesticides really did not work well so I asked one of the local
nurseries what I should use. They sold me a bag of 10,000 lacewing eggs.
The larvae live for quite a awhile and are effective control.

I did not see a single sign of scale this winter and only one plant had
some mealy bug, (it was a new agave that I'd just gotten) so I put it
outside and dosed it with pyrethrine.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> Unless one closes themselves up in a sterile environment and never goes
> outside, birds are no more of a health hazard indoors as outdoors. ;-)
>
> Never had bird crap on your car?
>
> Do you ever picnic or eat out of doors?

I hear you, but I have to play on the one hand/ on the other hand.

I expect the sanitary conditions in public food establishments to be
greater than that of the world at large. At home, I wash my hands after
using the bathroom, then make dinner or wash the dishes without worry
that the sanitary conditions are good enough. Where I work, I wash my
hands every hour, wear latex gloves when prepping food, put the dishes
in a sanitize solution, wipe down the counters with a different sanitize
solution at night and do all sorts of other special sanitary measures
because we're serving the public. At home, I eat snow peas and
raspberries straight from the garden without washing even rinsing them
first. At home, we serve ourselves from the same serving dish and kiss
each other on the cheek. At work, well, you get the idea.

I'm applying that logic to the birds in the supermarket. At home, for
me, I don't mind birds (or wouldn't mind birds if my rafters were high
enough for them to want to move in). (Thinking about this more, that
would be so cool.) But in a food establishment for the public? I can
see that they're not likely to carry salmonella, but until they've been
checked by a veterinarian to be certain that they're disease free, I'd
say that the health hazard concern is a real one.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
says...

> Stan Horwitz wrote:
>
> > I was fascinated by how a bat could get in my parents' house, so I
> > continued to watch and see what it would do. My dad finally came down
> > after my mom demanded that I wake him up. My dad, being a bit groggy and
> > not thinking to clearly, stood on a foot stall and grabbed the bat wit
> > his bare hands. The bat proceeded to bite my dad. My dad tossed the bat
> > out the front door and it flew away.

> My parents' house would periodically serve as home for a bat, who would
> meander down the holes that the pipes went through and pop out into the
> kitchen or other living areas. Mom would open the back door, Dad would
> open the front, and we'd all step out of the way.
>
> Bat would do it's sonar thing, and head straight for one door or the
> other, and we'd be bat-free for the rest of the summer. I think the
> bat didn't like the screeches that came from my sister and me.<g>
>
> They eat so many mosquitos, I could never kill one. At least not the
> ones in this area.'
>
> maxine in ri

Bats are good for controlling insects in general. So I can't see the
point of killing them.

Providence had a very big bat hangout in one of the bridge abuttments of
I-195. When they started doing repairs in preparation to move the
highway they had so much guano in the thing that it took weeks to clean
out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
T > wrote:

> In article .com>,
> says...
> >
> > Stan Horwitz wrote:
> >
> > > I was fascinated by how a bat could get in my parents' house, so I
> > > continued to watch and see what it would do. My dad finally came down
> > > after my mom demanded that I wake him up. My dad, being a bit groggy and
> > > not thinking to clearly, stood on a foot stall and grabbed the bat wit
> > > his bare hands. The bat proceeded to bite my dad. My dad tossed the bat
> > > out the front door and it flew away.

> > My parents' house would periodically serve as home for a bat, who would
> > meander down the holes that the pipes went through and pop out into the
> > kitchen or other living areas. Mom would open the back door, Dad would
> > open the front, and we'd all step out of the way.
> >
> > Bat would do it's sonar thing, and head straight for one door or the
> > other, and we'd be bat-free for the rest of the summer. I think the
> > bat didn't like the screeches that came from my sister and me.<g>
> >
> > They eat so many mosquitos, I could never kill one. At least not the
> > ones in this area.'
> >
> > maxine in ri

> Bats are good for controlling insects in general. So I can't see the
> point of killing them.
>
> Providence had a very big bat hangout in one of the bridge abuttments of
> I-195. When they started doing repairs in preparation to move the
> highway they had so much guano in the thing that it took weeks to clean
> out.

Any smart entrepreneur would have bagged it up and sold it...

Guano is top rate fertilizer!
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

What kind of sparrows? Many sparrows are not native to the US and push
native wild birds to extinction. Look it up. I see them every day in
our feeders knocking the food out so that it becomes inedible. They are
invasive. Maybe we should start introducing poison ivy to the grocery
shelves as well. I'll whip you up some naturally grown fresh strawberry
jam with bat droppings and flea infested sparrow feathers. One jar for
each person who thinks birds in grocery stores is ok. Lets leave the
grocery store doors open to let those cute little rats and cockroaches
in as well. If the birds are getting in, you can bet the rats and
cockroaches are there too. It's too late. Might as well shoot yourself
in your other foot too. You pay for screens that are supposed to be
being used when you get to the cash register: it is part of the food
cost. Obviously they are not being used. My question would be "why then
am I paying for it?" It is the job of the food inspectors to close down
stores that have these problems, and it sounds like someone is not
doing thier job, and a whole lot of people are letting them not do
their job. What do most employers have to say about a person not doing
their job? Right. "You're fired" I sure would not shop at any of those
stores and put up the literal crap. This is a prime situation for the
example of putting your money where your mouth is, and for the moment
you do have alternatives.
jill stardust
stand for something or fall for anything

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> All three of our local supermarkets, due to the size of the ceilings,
> have a small population of wild birds that live inside of them. ;-)
> Mostly sparrows.
>
> Wal-mart and the super HEB have a few grackles as well.
>
> They even reproduce, I can hear the babies in some of the more sheltered
> places in the ceilings.
>
> Does not bother me, I find it to be rather charming! I just make sure I
> wash my produce. I think they are cute and am impressed that the store
> management leaves them alone.
>
> They could always poison them but more would just come in. It's a
> problem with automated doors.
>
> Anyone else?
> --
> Peace!
> Om
>
> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch"
> -- Jack Nicholson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article >,
> (Curly Sue) wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 16:04:00 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
>> > wrote:

> Palmetto roaches are a given here in the South. Cockroaches so big
> they
> need saddles. It's one MAJOR reason why I NEVER leave food out on the
> stove, nor are dirty dishes allowed to sit around for more than a few
> hours. I wash dishes 2 or 3 times per day and the kitchen must be
> clean
> before I go to bed.
>
> You'd think the pet food dishes would attract them (kibbles are
> available for the cats 24/7) but they don't. I rarely find palmetto
> roaches in the house anymore and if I do, I generally only find
> pieces. <G> They make great cat toys. The cats love those nasty
> things!

Oh GAWD! I saw Persia (cat) with something hanging out of her mouth once...
I looked, it was most of a Palmetto bug as she chomped down on it.
EWWWW!!!!! Oh no, don't you dare try to give me kitty kisses after eating
that thing! LOL

As for the mealy bugs (I'm assuming you mean the things that infest flour,
cornmeal, bisquick, etc.?)... put BAY LEAVES in your bags and/or cannisters
containing the aforementioned. Those bugs won't go anywhere near bay
leaves.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Methinks you are a tad paranoid

jill wrote:
> What kind of sparrows? Many sparrows are not native to the US and push
> native wild birds to extinction. Look it up. I see them every day in
> our feeders knocking the food out so that it becomes inedible. They
> are invasive. Maybe we should start introducing poison ivy to the
> grocery shelves as well. I'll whip you up some naturally grown fresh
> strawberry jam with bat droppings and flea infested sparrow feathers.
> One jar for each person who thinks birds in grocery stores is ok.
> Lets leave the grocery store doors open to let those cute little rats
> and cockroaches
> in as well. If the birds are getting in, you can bet the rats and
> cockroaches are there too. It's too late. Might as well shoot yourself
> in your other foot too. You pay for screens that are supposed to be
> being used when you get to the cash register: it is part of the food
> cost. Obviously they are not being used. My question would be "why
> then am I paying for it?" It is the job of the food inspectors to
> close down stores that have these problems, and it sounds like
> someone is not
> doing thier job, and a whole lot of people are letting them not do
> their job. What do most employers have to say about a person not doing
> their job? Right. "You're fired" I sure would not shop at any of
> those stores and put up the literal crap. This is a prime situation
> for the example of putting your money where your mouth is, and for
> the moment
> you do have alternatives.
> jill stardust
> stand for something or fall for anything
>
> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>> All three of our local supermarkets, due to the size of the ceilings,
>> have a small population of wild birds that live inside of them. ;-)
>> Mostly sparrows.
>>
>> Wal-mart and the super HEB have a few grackles as well.
>>
>> They even reproduce, I can hear the babies in some of the more
>> sheltered places in the ceilings.
>>
>> Does not bother me, I find it to be rather charming! I just make
>> sure I wash my produce. I think they are cute and am impressed that
>> the store management leaves them alone.
>>
>> They could always poison them but more would just come in. It's a
>> problem with automated doors.
>>
>> Anyone else?
>> --
>> Peace!
>> Om
>>
>> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch"
>> -- Jack Nicholson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> As for the mealy bugs (I'm assuming you mean the things that infest flour,
> cornmeal, bisquick, etc.?)... put BAY LEAVES in your bags and/or cannisters
> containing the aforementioned. Those bugs won't go anywhere near bay
> leaves.

This has not been my experience. I'd heard about the bay leaf trick to
keep rice, flour, beans, seeds, etc. from bug infestation and have tried
it, but I can't see that the bay leaves make any difference. To prevent
bugs from going from one plastic bag to another, keep everything in the
freezer. To keep bug eggs present in your food even when you bought it
from hatching, keep everything in your freezer. To keep those plastic
bags or boxes from breaking and spilling all over everything in your
freezer, move everything to a sturdy tupperware-type container or a
glass jar with lid.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> This has not been my experience. I'd heard about the bay leaf trick
> to keep rice, flour, beans, seeds, etc. from bug infestation and have
> tried it, but I can't see that the bay leaves make any difference.

Maybe you tried the wrong kind of bay leaves?
Some recipes specify Turkish bay leaves,
rather than California bay leaves. I think
there may be a species difference.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"jill" > wrote:

> This is a prime situation for the
> example of putting your money where your mouth is, and for the moment
> you do have alternatives.

No, I don't have alternatives...
The next closest stores are 30 miles away and gas is now $3.00 per
gallon.

No way Jose', and I don't have a problem with the birds in the stores.
;-) I don't understand why you are having a cow about it!

I've been in this town for 23 years now and it's always been that way...

I enjoy the birds!
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> Oh GAWD! I saw Persia (cat) with something hanging out of her mouth once...
> I looked, it was most of a Palmetto bug as she chomped down on it.
> EWWWW!!!!! Oh no, don't you dare try to give me kitty kisses after eating
> that thing! LOL

<lol> My cats mostly bat them around... They don't generally eat them or
if they do, I've not seen them. ;-)

> As for the mealy bugs (I'm assuming you mean the things that infest flour,
> cornmeal, bisquick, etc.?)... put BAY LEAVES in your bags and/or cannisters
> containing the aforementioned. Those bugs won't go anywhere near bay
> leaves.
>
> Jill

No no no... Those are weevils.

Mealy bugs are a powdery white sucking insect that infests some plants.
Live plant parasites. Not good. Ladybird beetles and their larvae keep
them cleaned up, as do lacewing fly larvae.

I have a 40 cubic ft. refrigerator on the back porch and keep all my dry
goods in there since I have the space. This prevents weevils in my
pantry. :-)
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I concur. ;-)

--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> I have a 40 cubic ft. refrigerator on the back porch and keep all my dry
> goods in there since I have the space. This prevents weevils in my
> pantry. :-)

But does it prevent evil in your pants...???

)

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 14:26:26 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> wrote:

>In article .com>,
> "jill" > wrote:
>
>> This is a prime situation for the
>> example of putting your money where your mouth is, and for the moment
>> you do have alternatives.

>No, I don't have alternatives...
>The next closest stores are 30 miles away and gas is now $3.00 per
>gallon.
>
>No way Jose', and I don't have a problem with the birds in the stores.
>;-) I don't understand why you are having a cow about it!
>
>I've been in this town for 23 years now and it's always been that way...
>
>I enjoy the birds!
>--
>Peace!
>Om

Wait 'til the bird flu comes. You'll be seeing customers shooting at
the ceiling LOL!

Sue(tm)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article t>,
"Gregory Morrow" >
wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
> > I have a 40 cubic ft. refrigerator on the back porch and keep all my dry
> > goods in there since I have the space. This prevents weevils in my
> > pantry. :-)

> But does it prevent evil in your pants...???
>
> )

<winks>
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...
> In article >,
> T > wrote:
>
> > In article .com>,

says...

> > > My parents' house would periodically serve as home for a bat, who would
> > > meander down the holes that the pipes went through and pop out into the
> > > kitchen or other living areas. Mom would open the back door, Dad would
> > > open the front, and we'd all step out of the way.
> > >
> > > Bat would do it's sonar thing, and head straight for one door or the
> > > other, and we'd be bat-free for the rest of the summer. I think the
> > > bat didn't like the screeches that came from my sister and me.<g>
> > >
> > > They eat so many mosquitos, I could never kill one. At least not the
> > > ones in this area.'
> > >
> > > maxine in ri

> > Bats are good for controlling insects in general. So I can't see the
> > point of killing them.
> >
> > Providence had a very big bat hangout in one of the bridge abuttments of
> > I-195. When they started doing repairs in preparation to move the
> > highway they had so much guano in the thing that it took weeks to clean
> > out.

> Any smart entrepreneur would have bagged it up and sold it...
>
> Guano is top rate fertilizer!

It's actually classified as toxic waste.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Curly Sue" > wrote

> Wait 'til the bird flu comes. You'll be seeing customers shooting at
> the ceiling LOL!

(laugh!!) Too funny.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In rec.food.cooking, jmcquown > wrote:

> Where the hell do you come up with your facts, Blair? Good lord, when is
> the last time you saw a sparrow chowing down on lettuce or squash? They eat
> seed; they don't even eat bugs or worms.

You have no idea of what you are talking about, as usual. Sparrows were
stupidly introduced into the US to control certain bugs. Being an
invasive alien species, they are now a huge problem, and have been
an increasing large problem since Victorian times.

--
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.
--Edward R. Murrow
Posted to rec.food.cooking

prove it.
jill stardust
jmcquown wrote:
> Methinks you are a tad paranoid
>
> jill wrote:
> > What kind of sparrows? Many sparrows are not native to the US and push
> > native wild birds to extinction. Look it up. I see them every day in
> > our feeders knocking the food out so that it becomes inedible. They
> > are invasive. Maybe we should start introducing poison ivy to the
> > grocery shelves as well. I'll whip you up some naturally grown fresh
> > strawberry jam with bat droppings and flea infested sparrow feathers.
> > One jar for each person who thinks birds in grocery stores is ok.
> > Lets leave the grocery store doors open to let those cute little rats
> > and cockroaches
> > in as well. If the birds are getting in, you can bet the rats and
> > cockroaches are there too. It's too late. Might as well shoot yourself
> > in your other foot too. You pay for screens that are supposed to be
> > being used when you get to the cash register: it is part of the food
> > cost. Obviously they are not being used. My question would be "why
> > then am I paying for it?" It is the job of the food inspectors to
> > close down stores that have these problems, and it sounds like
> > someone is not
> > doing thier job, and a whole lot of people are letting them not do
> > their job. What do most employers have to say about a person not doing
> > their job? Right. "You're fired" I sure would not shop at any of
> > those stores and put up the literal crap. This is a prime situation
> > for the example of putting your money where your mouth is, and for
> > the moment
> > you do have alternatives.
> > jill stardust
> > stand for something or fall for anything
> >
> > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> >> All three of our local supermarkets, due to the size of the ceilings,
> >> have a small population of wild birds that live inside of them. ;-)
> >> Mostly sparrows.
> >>
> >> Wal-mart and the super HEB have a few grackles as well.
> >>
> >> They even reproduce, I can hear the babies in some of the more
> >> sheltered places in the ceilings.
> >>
> >> Does not bother me, I find it to be rather charming! I just make
> >> sure I wash my produce. I think they are cute and am impressed that
> >> the store management leaves them alone.
> >>
> >> They could always poison them but more would just come in. It's a
> >> problem with automated doors.
> >>
> >> Anyone else?
> >> --
> >> Peace!
> >> Om
> >>
> >> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch"
> >> -- Jack Nicholson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

And then people will have to bring umbrellas because the roof will
leak.

Curly Sue wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 14:26:26 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> > wrote:
>
> >In article .com>,
> > "jill" > wrote:
> >
> >> This is a prime situation for the
> >> example of putting your money where your mouth is, and for the moment
> >> you do have alternatives.

> >No, I don't have alternatives...
> >The next closest stores are 30 miles away and gas is now $3.00 per
> >gallon.
> >
> >No way Jose', and I don't have a problem with the birds in the stores.
> >;-) I don't understand why you are having a cow about it!
> >
> >I've been in this town for 23 years now and it's always been that way...
> >
> >I enjoy the birds!
> >--
> >Peace!
> >Om

> Wait 'til the bird flu comes. You'll be seeing customers shooting at
> the ceiling LOL!
>
> Sue(tm)
> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Me thinks u guess too much: I do not see any factual data here.

jmcquown wrote:
> Methinks you are a tad paranoid
>
> jill wrote:
> > What kind of sparrows? Many sparrows are not native to the US and push
> > native wild birds to extinction. Look it up. I see them every day in
> > our feeders knocking the food out so that it becomes inedible. They
> > are invasive. Maybe we should start introducing poison ivy to the
> > grocery shelves as well. I'll whip you up some naturally grown fresh
> > strawberry jam with bat droppings and flea infested sparrow feathers.
> > One jar for each person who thinks birds in grocery stores is ok.
> > Lets leave the grocery store doors open to let those cute little rats
> > and cockroaches
> > in as well. If the birds are getting in, you can bet the rats and
> > cockroaches are there too. It's too late. Might as well shoot yourself
> > in your other foot too. You pay for screens that are supposed to be
> > being used when you get to the cash register: it is part of the food
> > cost. Obviously they are not being used. My question would be "why
> > then am I paying for it?" It is the job of the food inspectors to
> > close down stores that have these problems, and it sounds like
> > someone is not
> > doing thier job, and a whole lot of people are letting them not do
> > their job. What do most employers have to say about a person not doing
> > their job? Right. "You're fired" I sure would not shop at any of
> > those stores and put up the literal crap. This is a prime situation
> > for the example of putting your money where your mouth is, and for
> > the moment
> > you do have alternatives.
> > jill stardust
> > stand for something or fall for anything
> >
> > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> >> All three of our local supermarkets, due to the size of the ceilings,
> >> have a small population of wild birds that live inside of them. ;-)
> >> Mostly sparrows.
> >>
> >> Wal-mart and the super HEB have a few grackles as well.
> >>
> >> They even reproduce, I can hear the babies in some of the more
> >> sheltered places in the ceilings.
> >>
> >> Does not bother me, I find it to be rather charming! I just make
> >> sure I wash my produce. I think they are cute and am impressed that
> >> the store management leaves them alone.
> >>
> >> They could always poison them but more would just come in. It's a
> >> problem with automated doors.
> >>
> >> Anyone else?
> >> --
> >> Peace!
> >> Om
> >>
> >> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch"
> >> -- Jack Nicholson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:

> Maybe you tried the wrong kind of bay leaves?
> Some recipes specify Turkish bay leaves,
> rather than California bay leaves. I think
> there may be a species difference.

Nah, I just get particularly hearty bugs.
--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jill wrote:
> good to hear some facts
> jill stardust
> stand for something or fall for anything

What facts? Sure, they were introduced in the 1800's. But does he happen
to know something about sparrows that I don't? I'm a long-time bird
watcher. I've never seen sparrows invade a garden and crap on the plants
(aka the produce aisle in the grocery store).

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/BOW/HOUSPA/

From this site, I quote: "an average of 60 percent of its food comes from
livestock feed (that would be the dog & cat food Omni mentioned), 36 percent
from weed seeds (seeds at feeders and found on the ground), and 4 percent
from insects."

Hence, they aren't eating the produce in the grocery store.

Jill

> wrote:
>> In rec.food.cooking, jmcquown > wrote:
>>
>>> Where the hell do you come up with your facts, Blair? Good lord,
>>> when is the last time you saw a sparrow chowing down on lettuce or
>>> squash? They eat seed; they don't even eat bugs or worms.

>> You have no idea of what you are talking about, as usual. Sparrows
>> were stupidly introduced into the US to control certain bugs. Being
>> an
>> invasive alien species, they are now a huge problem, and have been
>> an increasing large problem since Victorian times.
>>
>> --
>> A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.
>> --Edward R. Murrow

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In rec.food.cooking, jmcquown > wrote:
> jill wrote:
> > good to hear some facts
> > jill stardust
> > stand for something or fall for anything
> >

> What facts? Sure, they were introduced in the 1800's. But does he happen
> to know something about sparrows that I don't? I'm a long-time bird
> watcher. I've never seen sparrows invade a garden and crap on the plants
> (aka the produce aisle in the grocery store).

> http://www.birds.cornell.edu/BOW/HOUSPA/

> From this site, I quote: "an average of 60 percent of its food comes from
> livestock feed (that would be the dog & cat food Omni mentioned), 36 percent
> from weed seeds (seeds at feeders and found on the ground), and 4 percent
> from insects."

> Hence, they aren't eating the produce in the grocery store.

You said "[T]hey don't ... eat bugs or worms." You can't weasel out of
it; it is right there in this very post, down below.

--
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.
--Edward R. Murrow
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
T > wrote:

> In article >,
> says...
> > In article >,
> > T > wrote:
> >
> > > In article .com>,

says...

> > > Bats are good for controlling insects in general. So I can't see the
> > > point of killing them.
> > >
> > > Providence had a very big bat hangout in one of the bridge abuttments of
> > > I-195. When they started doing repairs in preparation to move the
> > > highway they had so much guano in the thing that it took weeks to clean
> > > out.

> > Any smart entrepreneur would have bagged it up and sold it...
> >
> > Guano is top rate fertilizer!
> >

> It's actually classified as toxic waste.

Dumb.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking
MoM MoM is offline

"Curly Sue" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 16:34:43 GMT, Puester >
> wrote:
>
>>Our grocery stores trap them and release (state law, maybe?) but I have
>>noticed quite a few in Home Depot and Lowe's. Also the main terminal at
>>our airport (DIA) has a few which nest in the supports of the tent roofs
>>and in the big potted trees. Little kids love to see them.

> Fortunately, I haven't seen birds in any grocery stores where I've
> shopped. They are charming in the trees around my home and a few are
> cute in home centers, but not in grocery stores, thankyewverymuch!

I agree 100%..... I mean where do their droppings go???

But getting rid of them is quite another thing. Automated doors allow
them easy egress.

MoM

Posted to rec.food.cooking
MoM MoM is offline

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> jill wrote:
>> Hi Curly Sue,
>> just wanted to point out that I am jill stardust because I noticed
>> there is another Jill here (she seems to go by Jill with a capitol J)
>> Hi Jill who owns birds
>> jill stardust

> Hi jill with a lower-case j I've been hanging around here for going
> on
> 10 years now; welcome to the group!
>
> Jill

I can't even remember how long I've been here off and on. How would I
find that out, Jill with a capital J? : D

MoM

Posted to rec.food.cooking
MoM MoM is offline

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> LOL! Birds aren't stupid. I've been raising them for years and I know
>> how
>> intelligent they are.

> Oh come one now Jill. Birds have tiny little brains and there is not a
> lot of
> intellectual activity going on in there. They are dumb, dumb, dumb.

I don't know about that. if you go by the size of brain, we humans should
all be mensa candidates. I have 2 chihuahuas and they
always amaze me at how smart they are. We use 10% of our brains. Perhaps
birds use "all" of theirs?

MoM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 3 Jul 2006 22:30:03 -0400, "MoM" >
wrote:

>> Hi jill with a lower-case j I've been hanging around here for going
>> on
>> 10 years now; welcome to the group!
>>
>> Jill
>>

>I can't even remember how long I've been here off and on. How would I
>find that out, Jill with a capital J? : D
>
>MoM

Do an "advanced" search for yourself on Google. Looks to me that your
first appearance was May 1996 with a salsa recipe.

Sue(tm)