Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Last night's comfort food (recipe)

I ran to the grocery to get comfort food for James -- he was craving a
brownie sundae, so I got ice cream, fudge sauce, and whipped cream,
and then I passed by the sour cream on sale and thought, "I want beef
stroganoff!"

Found a chuck roast on sale, bought some mushrooms, and we were in
business. I use one of those slow-cookers that can be used on the
stove to brown stuff, but you could brown it separately and then put
it in the slow-cooker.

Anyway, it was delicious -- I've never had better, and we had the
small amount of leftovers cooked up with some potatoes for breakfast.

Serene

Slow-cooker Beef Stroganoff

1 onion, chopped
1 tsp. butter or other fat
2 or so pounds chuck roast (I trimmed the biggest pieces of fat), cut
into large cubes
8-12 ounces of fresh button mushrooms, sliced
1 bay leaf

8 oz. sour cream
1 tsp each salt and paprika
pepper to taste
1 capful Kitchen Bouquet, optional

Saute onion in butter briefly. Add cubes of meat and brown. Add
mushrooms and bay leaf. Cover and cook in the slow-cooker on high for
two hours. Remove from heat, remove bay leaf, and add remaining
ingredients. Serve over buttered noodles.
--
Kissing Hank's Ass is 10 years old! http://jhuger.com/kisshank
My personal blog: http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene wrote:

> I ran to the grocery to get comfort food for James -- he was craving a
> brownie sundae, so I got ice cream, fudge sauce, and whipped cream,
> and then I passed by the sour cream on sale and thought, "I want beef
> stroganoff!"
>
> Found a chuck roast on sale, bought some mushrooms, and we were in
> business. I use one of those slow-cookers that can be used on the
> stove to brown stuff, but you could brown it separately and then put
> it in the slow-cooker.
>
> Anyway, it was delicious -- I've never had better, and we had the
> small amount of leftovers cooked up with some potatoes for breakfast.
>
> Serene
>
> Slow-cooker Beef Stroganoff
>
> 1 onion, chopped
> 1 tsp. butter or other fat
> 2 or so pounds chuck roast (I trimmed the biggest pieces of fat), cut
> into large cubes
> 8-12 ounces of fresh button mushrooms, sliced
> 1 bay leaf
>
> 8 oz. sour cream
> 1 tsp each salt and paprika
> pepper to taste
> 1 capful Kitchen Bouquet, optional
>
> Saute onion in butter briefly. Add cubes of meat and brown. Add
> mushrooms and bay leaf. Cover and cook in the slow-cooker on high for
> two hours. Remove from heat, remove bay leaf, and add remaining
> ingredients. Serve over buttered noodles.

But, but, but ... are there pictures?? (Serene is an amazing food
photographer)

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1 Jul 2006 11:10:43 -0700, "Damsel in dis Dress"
> wrote:

>But, but, but ... are there pictures?? (Serene is an amazing food
>photographer)

Was too busy scarfing it down, love. :-) (And thanks!)

(Beef stroganoff isn't exactly pretty. I forgot to mention that I
broiled some zucchini spears in a drizzle of balsamic dressing to go
on the side. Them's good eatin'.)

serene
--
Kissing Hank's Ass is 10 years old! http://jhuger.com/kisshank
My personal blog: http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
My new cooking blog: http://serenecooking.livejournal.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene" > wrote in message
>I ran to the grocery to get comfort food for James -- he was craving a
> brownie sundae, so I got ice cream, fudge sauce, and whipped cream,
> and then I passed by the sour cream on sale and thought, "I want beef
> stroganoff!"
>
> Found a chuck roast on sale, bought some mushrooms, and we were in
> business. I use one of those slow-cookers that can be used on the
> stove to brown stuff, but you could brown it separately and then put
> it in the slow-cooker.
>
> Anyway, it was delicious -- I've never had better, and we had the
> small amount of leftovers cooked up with some potatoes for breakfast.
>
> Serene

I love beef stroganoff, and this has made me hungry. However, I do not eat
any four, pasta, etc. (diabetes). Is this recipe "thick" enough to eat
alone? If not, I might try it with spaghetti squash, although IMO that
truly does not emulate the taste of either spaghetti or noodles.

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene wrote:

> I ran to the grocery to get comfort food for James -- he was craving a
> brownie sundae, so I got ice cream, fudge sauce, and whipped cream,
> and then I passed by the sour cream on sale and thought, "I want beef
> stroganoff!"
>
> Found a chuck roast on sale, bought some mushrooms, and we were in
> business. I use one of those slow-cookers that can be used on the
> stove to brown stuff, but you could brown it separately and then put
> it in the slow-cooker.
>
> Anyway, it was delicious -- I've never had better, and we had the
> small amount of leftovers cooked up with some potatoes for breakfast.
>
> Serene
>
> Slow-cooker Beef Stroganoff
>
> 1 onion, chopped
> 1 tsp. butter or other fat
> 2 or so pounds chuck roast (I trimmed the biggest pieces of fat), cut
> into large cubes
> 8-12 ounces of fresh button mushrooms, sliced
> 1 bay leaf
>
> 8 oz. sour cream
> 1 tsp each salt and paprika
> pepper to taste
> 1 capful Kitchen Bouquet, optional
>
> Saute onion in butter briefly. Add cubes of meat and brown. Add
> mushrooms and bay leaf. Cover and cook in the slow-cooker on high for
> two hours. Remove from heat, remove bay leaf, and add remaining
> ingredients. Serve over buttered noodles.
> --
> Kissing Hank's Ass is 10 years old! http://jhuger.com/kisshank
> My personal blog: http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
> My new cooking blog: http://serenecooking.livejournal.com

Serene, I've never made stroganoff. Do you put the sour cream in for
the whole time? Or add it at the end....tia....Sharon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 1 Jul 2006 14:37:25 -0500, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:

>"Serene" > wrote in message

[stroganoff]
>> Anyway, it was delicious -- I've never had better, and we had the
>> small amount of leftovers cooked up with some potatoes for breakfast.
>>
>> Serene
>>

>I love beef stroganoff, and this has made me hungry. However, I do not eat
>any four, pasta, etc. (diabetes). Is this recipe "thick" enough to eat
>alone? I

Yeah, it's like a thick beef stew, especially if you let it cook
uncovered for 10-15 minutes at the end of the 2 hours.

serene
--
Kissing Hank's Ass is 10 years old! http://jhuger.com/kisshank
My personal blog: http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
My new cooking blog: http://serenecooking.livejournal.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 01 Jul 2006 16:02:34 -0400, biig > wrote:

> Serene, I've never made stroganoff. Do you put the sour cream in for
>the whole time? Or add it at the end....tia....Sharon

No, you have to add it at the very end or it will curdle. (It's part
of the "remaining ingredients" that get added after the stew is taken
off the heat. The remaining dish is plenty warm enough to eat -- that
small amount of cold sour cream doesn't hurt the temperature any.)

serene
--
Kissing Hank's Ass is 10 years old! http://jhuger.com/kisshank
My personal blog: http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
My new cooking blog: http://serenecooking.livejournal.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene wrote:

> On Sat, 01 Jul 2006 16:02:34 -0400, biig > wrote:
>

> > Serene, I've never made stroganoff. Do you put the sour cream in for
> >the whole time? Or add it at the end....tia....Sharon

> No, you have to add it at the very end or it will curdle. (It's part
> of the "remaining ingredients" that get added after the stew is taken
> off the heat. The remaining dish is plenty warm enough to eat -- that
> small amount of cold sour cream doesn't hurt the temperature any.)
>
> serene

Darn! I've got to stop posting when I'm half asleep. I didn't read
the recipe carefully enough...thanks Serene.....Sharon
> --
> Kissing Hank's Ass is 10 years old! http://jhuger.com/kisshank
> My personal blog: http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
> My new cooking blog: http://serenecooking.livejournal.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 01 Jul 2006 17:18:00 -0400, biig > wrote:

>Serene wrote:

>> No, you have to add it at the very end or it will curdle. (It's part
>> of the "remaining ingredients" that get added after the stew is taken
>> off the heat. The remaining dish is plenty warm enough to eat -- that
>> small amount of cold sour cream doesn't hurt the temperature any.)

> Darn! I've got to stop posting when I'm half asleep. I didn't read
>the recipe carefully enough...thanks Serene

No biggy. That's what we're here for, to entertain each other when
we're sleepy. ;-)

serene
--
Kissing Hank's Ass is 10 years old! http://jhuger.com/kisshank
My personal blog: http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
My new cooking blog: http://serenecooking.livejournal.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 1 Jul 2006 14:37:25 -0500, "MaryL"
> -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:
>

>>"Serene" > wrote in message

> [stroganoff]
>>> Anyway, it was delicious -- I've never had better, and we had the
>>> small amount of leftovers cooked up with some potatoes for breakfast.
>>>
>>> Serene
>>>

>>I love beef stroganoff, and this has made me hungry. However, I do not
>>eat
>>any four, pasta, etc. (diabetes). Is this recipe "thick" enough to eat
>>alone? I

> Yeah, it's like a thick beef stew, especially if you let it cook
> uncovered for 10-15 minutes at the end of the 2 hours.
>
> serene
> --

Thanks! That sounds like good "comford food" for me.

MaryL