Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default La Guide Culinaire

Has anyone got this? Read it?
Apparently the English translated version is called "The Complete Guide
to the Art of Modern Cookery" and Barnes and Noble has it for a whopping
$63.00 (new) although used copies are available.
I've been interested in reading Escoffier's tome since I first learned
about him and his work. I like to sit and read "Joy of Cooking" like
some curl up with a trashy novel. So I wondered if this would be as
satisfying?
Input welcome
Goomba
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:

> Has anyone got this? Read it?
> Apparently the English translated version is called "The Complete Guide
> to the Art of Modern Cookery" and Barnes and Noble has it for a whopping
> $63.00 (new) although used copies are available.
> I've been interested in reading Escoffier's tome since I first learned
> about him and his work. I like to sit and read "Joy of Cooking" like
> some curl up with a trashy novel. So I wondered if this would be as
> satisfying?
> Input welcome
> Goomba

I'd say go for it. It's very information dense so it's not the
world's easiest read, but it's certainly not impenetrable either.

Take it on a piece at a time. I find that I go back and reread
certain sections fairly regularly.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 03:43:23 -0400, Goomba38 >
wrote:

>Has anyone got this? Read it?
>Apparently the English translated version is called "The Complete Guide
>to the Art of Modern Cookery" and Barnes and Noble has it for a whopping
>$63.00 (new) although used copies are available.
>I've been interested in reading Escoffier's tome since I first learned
>about him and his work. I like to sit and read "Joy of Cooking" like
>some curl up with a trashy novel. So I wondered if this would be as
>satisfying?
>Input welcome
>Goomba

I think Joseph Littleshoes has read it. I have heard him talk about
it, in the chat channel.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 > wrote in
:

> Has anyone got this? Read it?
> Apparently the English translated version is called "The Complete Guide
> to the Art of Modern Cookery" and Barnes and Noble has it for a whopping
> $63.00 (new) although used copies are available.
> I've been interested in reading Escoffier's tome since I first learned
> about him and his work. I like to sit and read "Joy of Cooking" like
> some curl up with a trashy novel. So I wondered if this would be as
> satisfying?
> Input welcome
> Goomba

Check www.freecycle.com for a group in your area and ask there. Don't
discount Good Will and the like either. Some people don't know what they
got some times. Can't hurt to try
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mike H wrote:

> Check www.freecycle.com for a group in your area and ask there. Don't
> discount Good Will and the like either. Some people don't know what they
> got some times. Can't hurt to try

What an interesting idea. Hmmmm, I'll give it a go.
Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
JL JL is offline

Goomba38 wrote:
> Has anyone got this? Read it?
> Apparently the English translated version is called "The Complete Guide
> to the Art of Modern Cookery" and Barnes and Noble has it for a whopping
> $63.00 (new) although used copies are available.
> I've been interested in reading Escoffier's tome since I first learned
> about him and his work. I like to sit and read "Joy of Cooking" like
> some curl up with a trashy novel. So I wondered if this would be as
> satisfying?
> Input welcome
> Goomba

Used versions are availabel for as little as 5 $ US if one perseveres.
There are less than credable "Translations". And also earlier versions
than the penultimate "Le Guide Culinaire".

Well worth having but i was disaponted as so much of it is
presentation. Of several hundred potato recipes fully 90% are mere
presentation, the shape of the potato when served.

But for the basics in a step by step manner you cant do better, maybe
as good as, Cesarini and Kenton, come to mind, but suumme quique, i
find much inspiration in Escoffier, i often make his beouf argentine
which is just a thick steak stufed with an eggplant stuffing, the
eggplant suitably cooked and seasoned before stuffing.

It is because of Escoffier that i routinly reduce shrimp and chicken to
a paste and make littel meat balls of them and saute in butter, garlic
and white wine, when i am not poaching them in fish or chicken stock.

For a more extended commentary on the book by and person Escoffier
google "Escoffier+JL" or Joseph Littleshoes, i have over the last 5 - 6
years bombarded this (and other cooking groups) group with my thoughts
on the aforementioned chef and his magnum opus. Which i have possesion
of several versions of for about 15 years.

"Le Grand Cuisine" = Great Good Food.
---
JL

Posted to rec.food.cooking
JL JL is offline

Default La Grande Cuisine

JL wrote:

> "Le Grand Cuisine" = Great Good Food.
> ---
> JL

Not just 'Good Food" but "Great" good food.
---
JL

Posted to rec.food.cooking
JL JL is offline

JL wrote:
> But for the basics in a step by step manner you cant do better, maybe
> as good as, Cesarini and Kenton, come to mind, but suumme quique, i
> find much inspiration in Escoffier, i often make his beouf argentine
> which is just a thick steak stufed with an eggplant stuffing, the
> eggplant suitably cooked and seasoned before stuffing.

Saute onions in butter or oil till carmalized, chop up a tomato or two
and cook wtih the onions after the onions are almost done, letting much
of the water form the tomato evaporate (or squeeze most of the moisture
from a tomato before cooking). add some crushed garlic and a bit of
oregano to this tomato, onion & butter and then make a stuffing with
some cooked eggplant. Scoop out the flesh from a baked egg plant and
add it to the tomatoes & onions & mix throughly.

Rub the meat with oil, salt & pepper & garlic & then make a slit in a
large steak like a london broil or a chateaubriand (sp?) a 'pocket' to
hold the stuffing. Stuff the steak with the eggplant mix and bake at
about 350 F for about 30 mins or so till desired doneness, basting
frequently with a bit of red wine, butter and or pan juices. Slice &
Serve with a sauce made from the pan juices.

> It is because of Escoffier that i routinly reduce shrimp and chicken to
> a paste and make littel meat balls of them and saute in butter, garlic
> and white wine, when i am not poaching them in fish or chicken stock.

For about 1 pound of chicken meat i will use about 1 pound of large
prawns. Shell and devain the prawns, reduce to a puree either in a
food processor or by hand with a knife.

Combine the prawns and ground chicken meat. Season with salt and
pepper, garlic, green onions finely minced. Ginger is optional, it is
nice but i usualy dont use it in this dish.

Form the meat mix into small 'meat balls' and saute in butter till
done. Just before serving throw a half glass (about 4 ounces) of white
wine into the meat and butter and let it all simmer for a few minutes
to form a 'pan sauce'. Or alternatively poach in a bit of chicken or
fish stock.

Fresh crab is excellant this way. A "Grebiche" or "Ravigote" sauce is
very good with this chicken & shrimp or crab combo.

And in the above beef recipe, a friend of mine substitues plantains for
the eggplant to very good effect.
---
JL

A CPR guide zeez[_3_] General Cooking 0 17-03-2010 01:37 PM
BEAUTY GUIDE [email protected] General Cooking 0 17-01-2008 07:29 AM
Guide Du Fromage cheese guide FA JaneyP General Cooking 0 29-01-2006 01:53 AM
City Guide Annonymous Account General Cooking 0 15-09-2005 08:28 AM
Need help with Falk Culinaire cookware Alan Street Cooking Equipment 1 26-02-2005 07:15 AM