Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Kitchen Timer

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> I broke off the knob to the timer on the wall oven. The oven is so old I'm
> not even going to try to replace the knob. I went browsing on eBay and
> found quite a few timers and many of them are retro. This one looked
> pretty cool but not for the price. I mean, this is a whim for me.
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/Blue-Retro-Doubl...oking-NEW-Egg-
> 50s_W0QQitemZ4463177558QQihZ001QQcategoryZ20648QQs sPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmd
> ZViewItem
>
> or:
>
> http://tinylink.com/?dp1eLaee9Z
>
> Michael

Heh. It looks "practical", but I also think it looks a bit expensive for
what it is. The timer on my stove doesn't work either. So I got one of
those "egg shaped" timers - goes up to 60 mins - been using it for about
3 years! I find it quite adequate for my needs - and it only cost about
two of your dollars. Why don't you have a look at one of your
supermarkets or kitchen stores? I am sure they would have them at a
better price?

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I bought a new stove last year and I hate the timer on it. It dings once
when the time is up. If I'm not in the room when that one ding rings,
I'm out of luck. My old stove timer continued to ring until I shut it
off.

I bought a new little digital timer from a Pampered Chef party and I
really like it a lot, except I wish the magnet was a little stronger. I
found the timer floating in a pot of boiling gravy one day. It had
fallen off of the hood where I had placed it. It still works great
though. It has a clip in the back for wearing it when I'm outside
gardening. It's very slim and portable. I've seen similar ones in
stores.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Denise in NH wrote:

> I bought a new little digital timer from a Pampered Chef party and I
> really like it a lot, except I wish the magnet was a little stronger. I
> found the timer floating in a pot of boiling gravy one day. It had
> fallen off of the hood where I had placed it. It still works great
> though. It has a clip in the back for wearing it when I'm outside
> gardening. It's very slim and portable. I've seen similar ones in
> stores.

Mine is just one of those "old fashioned" wind-up ones that you park off
wherever its convenient in the kitchen... luckily it rings loud enough
for me to hear it from almost anywhere in the house. If I do go out into
the back yard to do something, I just take it with me (its literally the
size of a large egg) and stick it on the garden table... However, one of
those "hang around your neck" things might be handy too.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy wrote:
> Denise in NH wrote:
>

>> I bought a new little digital timer from a Pampered Chef party and I
>> really like it a lot, except I wish the magnet was a little stronger. I
>> found the timer floating in a pot of boiling gravy one day. It had
>> fallen off of the hood where I had placed it. It still works great
>> though. It has a clip in the back for wearing it when I'm outside
>> gardening. It's very slim and portable. I've seen similar ones in
>> stores.
>>

> Mine is just one of those "old fashioned" wind-up ones that you park off
> wherever its convenient in the kitchen... luckily it rings loud enough
> for me to hear it from almost anywhere in the house. If I do go out into
> the back yard to do something, I just take it with me (its literally the
> size of a large egg) and stick it on the garden table... However, one of
> those "hang around your neck" things might be handy too.

Yeah, mine's a little 60-minute "wind up" jobbie, too, the shape (and
color) of an eggplant. It rings loud and long, and that's just what I need.

<damn that color, though... clashes with everything else in the kitchen!>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> Chatty Cathy > :
>

>>Heh. It looks "practical", but I also think it looks a bit expensive
>>for what it is. The timer on my stove doesn't work either. So I got
>>one of those "egg shaped" timers - goes up to 60 mins - been using it
>>for about 3 years! I find it quite adequate for my needs - and it only
>>cost about two of your dollars. Why don't you have a look at one of
>>your supermarkets or kitchen stores? I am sure they would have them at
>>a better price?
>>

> I'll check at WalMart or one of the discount outlets. The stove will be
> replaced next spring anyway. I just want a cheapie. I have to say the
> retro colors were pretty cool though.
>
> Michael

I like it, but it is a bit spendy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pennyaline wrote on 29 Jun 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> Chatty Cathy wrote:
> > Denise in NH wrote:
> >

> >> I bought a new little digital timer from a Pampered Chef party and
> >> I really like it a lot, except I wish the magnet was a little
> >> stronger. I found the timer floating in a pot of boiling gravy one
> >> day. It had fallen off of the hood where I had placed it. It
> >> still works great though. It has a clip in the back for wearing it
> >> when I'm outside gardening. It's very slim and portable. I've seen
> >> similar ones in stores.
> >>

> > Mine is just one of those "old fashioned" wind-up ones that you park
> > off wherever its convenient in the kitchen... luckily it rings loud
> > enough for me to hear it from almost anywhere in the house. If I do
> > go out into the back yard to do something, I just take it with me
> > (its literally the size of a large egg) and stick it on the garden
> > table... However, one of those "hang around your neck" things might
> > be handy too.

> Yeah, mine's a little 60-minute "wind up" jobbie, too, the shape (and
> color) of an eggplant. It rings loud and long, and that's just what I
> need.
>
> <damn that color, though... clashes with everything else in the
> kitchen!>

My cheapie digital wrist watch seems to have a built in countdown timer
with alarm. So does my microwave and my stove and my digital timer...By
the time I set all of these...I forget why I'm setting them or it's been
5 minutes past the time I required.

--
-Alan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr Libido Incognito wrote:

> My cheapie digital wrist watch seems to have a built in countdown timer
> with alarm. So does my microwave and my stove and my digital timer...By
> the time I set all of these...I forget why I'm setting them or it's been
> 5 minutes past the time I required.

LOL. My darn MW has one of those irritating beep, beep, beeps on it that
goes off whenever its finished doing anything - it goes off every 30
seconds and it won't switch off until you hit the "Stop" button. Grrr.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy wrote:
> Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
>

>> My cheapie digital wrist watch seems to have a built in countdown
>> timer with alarm. So does my microwave and my stove and my digital
>> timer...By the time I set all of these...I forget why I'm setting them
>> or it's been 5 minutes past the time I required.
>>

> LOL. My darn MW has one of those irritating beep, beep, beeps on it that
> goes off whenever its finished doing anything - it goes off every 30
> seconds and it won't switch off until you hit the "Stop" button. Grrr.

Read the owner's manual. Every microwave I've had in the past 20 years
has had a setting to turn off the beep. There's a paragraph with
instructions hidden deep in the manual.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Puester wrote:
> Chatty Cathy wrote:

>> LOL. My darn MW has one of those irritating beep, beep, beeps on it
>> that goes off whenever its finished doing anything - it goes off every
>> 30 seconds and it won't switch off until you hit the "Stop" button. Grrr.
>>

> Read the owner's manual. Every microwave I've had in the past 20 years
> has had a setting to turn off the beep. There's a paragraph with
> instructions hidden deep in the manual.

I have read that manual from cover to cover (all 31 pages of it) and I
still haven't found that hidden paragraph Have just handed it over to
DH, maybe he can find it LOL.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 20:44:38 +0200, Chatty Cathy
> wrote:

>Puester wrote:
>> Chatty Cathy wrote:

>>> LOL. My darn MW has one of those irritating beep, beep, beeps on it
>>> that goes off whenever its finished doing anything - it goes off every
>>> 30 seconds and it won't switch off until you hit the "Stop" button. Grrr.
>>>

>> Read the owner's manual. Every microwave I've had in the past 20 years
>> has had a setting to turn off the beep. There's a paragraph with
>> instructions hidden deep in the manual.

>I have read that manual from cover to cover (all 31 pages of it) and I
>still haven't found that hidden paragraph Have just handed it over to
>DH, maybe he can find it LOL.

He's only had one microwave. ;-> Mine has no such settable feature,
but only beeps for some 30 seconds, then shuts up. All he wanted you
to do was RTFM.

jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ensenadajim wrote:

> He's only had one microwave. ;-> Mine has no such settable feature,
> but only beeps for some 30 seconds, then shuts up. All he wanted you
> to do was RTFM.

ROFL... It worked, I did. Again.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Kitchen timer goes to the smartphone - Kitchenmate Timer hSenid Cooking Equipment 1 06-12-2012 11:54 AM
Kitchen Timer MoM General Cooking 0 01-07-2006 03:35 AM
Kitchen Timer Denise~* General Cooking 0 30-06-2006 08:23 AM
Kitchen Timer aem General Cooking 0 29-06-2006 08:50 PM
Kitchen Timer sf General Cooking 0 29-06-2006 05:04 PM