Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chai spiced rice pudding

David left town and left me with a half gallon of milk in the fridge. I never
drink milk. Someone suggested rice pudding (I forgot who! Sorry!) and since
today is our father's day celebration I figured I'd bring rice pudding. I
looked up a bunch of recipes and frankensteined them into my own version.

1/2 gallon 2% milk (i suppose any kind could work, i just happened to have 2%)
3/4 cup rice
2/3 cup sugar
cinnamon stick

spice mix
1 tsp ground cardamom
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/4 cup chopped crystallized ginger

1 tsp vanilla

rice, sugar, milk and cinnamon stick in pot over medium heat, stirring.
once it comes to a simmer add the spice mix. Simmer over medium heat 45
minutes or so, until it becomes thick and delicious. Stir in vanilla.

Cool, serve with golden raisins and pistachios

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

"The Bubbo" > schreef in bericht
> David left town and left me with a half gallon of milk in the fridge. I
> never
> drink milk. Someone suggested rice pudding (I forgot who! Sorry!) and
> since
> today is our father's day celebration I figured I'd bring rice pudding. I
> looked up a bunch of recipes and frankensteined them into my own version.
>
> 1/2 gallon 2% milk (i suppose any kind could work, i just happened to have
> 2%)
> 3/4 cup rice
> 2/3 cup sugar
> cinnamon stick
>
> spice mix
> 1 tsp ground cardamom
> 1/2 tsp ground ginger
> 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
> 1/2 tsp ground allspice
> 1/4 cup chopped crystallized ginger
>
> 1 tsp vanilla
>
> rice, sugar, milk and cinnamon stick in pot over medium heat, stirring.
> once it comes to a simmer add the spice mix. Simmer over medium heat 45
> minutes or so, until it becomes thick and delicious. Stir in vanilla.
>
> Cool, serve with golden raisins and pistachios

It soudsn delicious, like a comfort food that suits summer. I find comfort
foods are ususally winter foods. But this I am sure I would enjoy in summer.

I think I might try serving it with fresh oranges, or mango, if I wanted to
make it into a meal.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jke wrote:

> It soudsn delicious, like a comfort food that suits summer. I find comfort
> foods are ususally winter foods. But this I am sure I would enjoy in summer.
>
> I think I might try serving it with fresh oranges, or mango, if I wanted to
> make it into a meal.

it was wonderful. I might go with next sugar next time, I thought it was too
sweet. I would also add more bits of crystallized ginger, they were way tasty.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com