Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default New FoodTV show

It's new to me, anyway. Guy's Big Bite. Did he win the
next Food Network Star thing last time? At any rate, I
like the show just fine so far. Only thing I would change
so far, lose the rings and watch and bracelet.

And I'm not so much for tater tots, just me. The marinated
flank steak, that looked good to me.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> It's new to me, anyway. Guy's Big Bite. Did he win the
> next Food Network Star thing last time? At any rate, I
> like the show just fine so far. Only thing I would change
> so far, lose the rings and watch and bracelet.
>
> And I'm not so much for tater tots, just me. The marinated
> flank steak, that looked good to me.
>
> nancy

I haven't seen this show, yet. What's its gimmick? I mean, Alton teaches,
Rachel screaches and Emeril is just.........Emeril. What's the basis for
this one?

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> It's new to me, anyway. Guy's Big Bite. Did he win the
>> next Food Network Star thing last time? At any rate, I
>> like the show just fine so far.

> I haven't seen this show, yet. What's its gimmick? I mean, Alton
> teaches,
> Rachel screaches and Emeril is just.........Emeril. What's the basis for
> this one?

You know, I understand the question but, thinking about it, I didn't
catch anything like that. You're right, there probably is, every show
has its niche. I caught it after it started and I missed some of it, so
I probably didn't catch it.

I'm going to look at the website to see if it says ... okay, it says
Big, bold and broad flavors. Whatever that means. Today he
marinated the flank steak in, essentially, a bloody mary. Looked
good.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> It's new to me, anyway. Guy's Big Bite. Did he win the
> next Food Network Star thing last time? At any rate, I
> like the show just fine so far. Only thing I would change
> so far, lose the rings and watch and bracelet.
>
> And I'm not so much for tater tots, just me. The marinated
> flank steak, that looked good to me.
>
> nancy

It's a guilty pleasure; I love tater tots. I used to work at a place where
they deep fried them. Oh god!

But then again, they deep fried the hamburgers, too... yes folks it was
*that* Memphis burger place. Anyone care to guess the name of it? Now
located on Beale Street but used to be in Midtown and the grease is 80 years
old. Little bit of trivia for ya

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
. ..
> Nancy Young wrote:
> > It's new to me, anyway. Guy's Big Bite. Did he win the
> > next Food Network Star thing last time? At any rate, I
> > like the show just fine so far. Only thing I would change
> > so far, lose the rings and watch and bracelet.
> >
> > And I'm not so much for tater tots, just me. The marinated
> > flank steak, that looked good to me.
> >
> > nancy

> It's a guilty pleasure; I love tater tots. I used to work at a place

where
> they deep fried them. Oh god!
>
> But then again, they deep fried the hamburgers, too... yes folks it was
> *that* Memphis burger place. Anyone care to guess the name of it? Now
> located on Beale Street but used to be in Midtown and the grease is 80

years
> old. Little bit of trivia for ya
>
> Jill

I love tater tots, too. Hmmmmm, note to self. Buy tater tots. :~)

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> It's new to me, anyway. Guy's Big Bite. Did he win the
> next Food Network Star thing last time?

Yes.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show..._48262,00.html
--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> But then again, they deep fried the hamburgers, too... yes folks it was
> *that* Memphis burger place. Anyone care to guess the name of it?

Dyer's?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote on 25 Jun 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > Nancy Young wrote:
> > > It's new to me, anyway. Guy's Big Bite. Did he win the
> > > next Food Network Star thing last time? At any rate, I
> > > like the show just fine so far. Only thing I would change
> > > so far, lose the rings and watch and bracelet.
> > >
> > > And I'm not so much for tater tots, just me. The marinated
> > > flank steak, that looked good to me.
> > >
> > > nancy

> > It's a guilty pleasure; I love tater tots. I used to work at a place

> where
> > they deep fried them. Oh god!
> >
> > But then again, they deep fried the hamburgers, too... yes folks it

was
> > *that* Memphis burger place. Anyone care to guess the name of it?

Now
> > located on Beale Street but used to be in Midtown and the grease is

80
> years
> > old. Little bit of trivia for ya
> >
> > Jill
> >

> I love tater tots, too. Hmmmmm, note to self. Buy tater tots. :~)
>
> kili

I pan fry my tater tots... Then plate them with a runny fried egg on
top...Pan frying seems to make them crisper than oven baking...And the
runny fried egg is just loverly as a garnish/sauce.

But I'm low carb these days ...

--
-Alan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote:

>"kilikini" > wrote
>
>> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>>> It's new to me, anyway. Guy's Big Bite. Did he win the
>>> next Food Network Star thing last time? At any rate, I
>>> like the show just fine so far.

>> I haven't seen this show, yet. What's its gimmick? I mean, Alton
>> teaches, Rachel screaches and Emeril is just.........Emeril. What's
>> the basis for this one?

>You know, I understand the question but, thinking about it, I didn't
>catch anything like that. You're right, there probably is, every show
>has its niche. I caught it after it started and I missed some of it, so
>I probably didn't catch it.

She didn't for the show's niche - but the show's gimmick. The two are
not the same.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-06-25, jmcquown > wrote:

> they deep fried them. Oh god!

All tater tots are deep fried. That's how the food processing plants
par-cook them prior to flash freezing. I used to clean the tator tot
line at a potato plant in Wash when I was a pup.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote in
:

> I haven't seen this show, yet. What's its gimmick? I mean, Alton
> teaches, Rachel screaches and Emeril is just.........Emeril. What's
> the basis for this one?

He was the peoples choice to win "The Next Food Network Star: Season 2"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr Libido Incognito > wrote in
:

> Pan frying seems to make them crisper than oven baking..

Direct heat will always crisp things better than radient heat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> It's new to me, anyway. Guy's Big Bite. Did he win the
> next Food Network Star thing last time? At any rate, I
> like the show just fine so far. Only thing I would change
> so far, lose the rings and watch and bracelet.
>
> And I'm not so much for tater tots, just me. The marinated
> flank steak, that looked good to me.
>
> nancy

He's got a lousy time slot and a big personality - lose the jewelry,
though. He owns three restaurants (I think in California) - Italian
emphasis. I was hoping for something more than Tater Tots. I'll watch
a couple more times, at least, to see where he's going.

As to the one that precedes him - "Party Line with the Hearty Boys"
(used to be "...with Dan and Steve"), it's a losing proposition, I
think. Pretty boring and same-ol', same-ol' the times I've watched.
Maybe it's just me.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> Only thing I would change
> so far, lose the rings and watch and bracelet.

Surely there must be some technical term for fear of a chef wearing
jewelry. Because, seriously, I've got it bad.

There's nothing more disgusting than watching somebody cook with a ring
on. I don't particularly mind simple wedding rings, but I've seen
chefs wearing three or four fingers full of P. Diddy bling. Yeah, like
they scrub those things before they start cooking. I'm thinking
they're like a Carlsbad Cavern for germs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mike H > wrote:

>Mr Libido Incognito > wrote in
:

>> Pan frying seems to make them crisper than oven baking..

>Direct heat will always crisp things better than radient heat.

Plus pan frying allows moisture to escape - which oven baking does
less well at.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bailey Legull" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:
>> Only thing I would change
>> so far, lose the rings and watch and bracelet.

> Surely there must be some technical term for fear of a chef wearing
> jewelry. Because, seriously, I've got it bad.
>
> There's nothing more disgusting than watching somebody cook with a ring
> on. I don't particularly mind simple wedding rings, but I've seen
> chefs wearing three or four fingers full of P. Diddy bling. Yeah, like
> they scrub those things before they start cooking. I'm thinking
> they're like a Carlsbad Cavern for germs.

Exactly. As if the two pinky rings weren't bad enough, his bracelet
and watch flopped around, not easy washing your hands while trying
to avoid getting them soapy and wet.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 26 Jun 2006 08:26:53 -0700, Bailey Legull wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:
> > Only thing I would change
> > so far, lose the rings and watch and bracelet.

> Surely there must be some technical term for fear of a chef wearing
> jewelry. Because, seriously, I've got it bad.
>
> There's nothing more disgusting than watching somebody cook with a ring
> on. I don't particularly mind simple wedding rings, but I've seen
> chefs wearing three or four fingers full of P. Diddy bling. Yeah, like
> they scrub those things before they start cooking. I'm thinking
> they're like a Carlsbad Cavern for germs.

I find myself staring at their rings and marveling how clean they stay
throughout the show. Have you ever noticed how the jewlery wearing TV
chefs don't dirty their hands, even when making egg noodles?
--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> I find myself staring at their rings and marveling how clean they stay
> throughout the show. Have you ever noticed how the jewlery wearing TV
> chefs don't dirty their hands, even when making egg noodles?

LMAO! Oh, God -- now you've made me sick. "I got some noodle dough in
my watchband, but I'll just brush it back into the bowl and it'll be
good as new."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> "Bailey Legull" > wrote
>
>> Nancy Young wrote:
>>> Only thing I would change
>>> so far, lose the rings and watch and bracelet.

>> Surely there must be some technical term for fear of a chef wearing
>> jewelry. Because, seriously, I've got it bad.
>>
>> There's nothing more disgusting than watching somebody cook with a ring
>> on. I don't particularly mind simple wedding rings, but I've seen
>> chefs wearing three or four fingers full of P. Diddy bling. Yeah, like
>> they scrub those things before they start cooking. I'm thinking
>> they're like a Carlsbad Cavern for germs.

> Exactly. As if the two pinky rings weren't bad enough, his bracelet
> and watch flopped around, not easy washing your hands while trying
> to avoid getting them soapy and wet.

That was one of the criticisms he got during the contest -- that he should
lose the big jewelry. I guess he didn't listen.

Donna

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bailey Legull wrote:

> There's nothing more disgusting than watching somebody cook with a ring
> on. I don't particularly mind simple wedding rings, but I've seen
> chefs wearing three or four fingers full of P. Diddy bling. Yeah, like
> they scrub those things before they start cooking. I'm thinking
> they're like a Carlsbad Cavern for germs.

Paula Deen does that. Mixes up meatballs and such wearing big ole
diamond rings. At least her rings look expensive.
Has anyone else noticed that people prone to wearing multiple cheap
looking rings on each hand often tend to have the ugliest hands with fat
sausage fingers, short stubby or long fake nails. They should avoid
emphasizing their pudgy short fingers and hands that way.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> Bailey Legull wrote:
>
> > There's nothing more disgusting than watching somebody cook with a ring
> > on. I don't particularly mind simple wedding rings, but I've seen
> > chefs wearing three or four fingers full of P. Diddy bling. Yeah, like
> > they scrub those things before they start cooking. I'm thinking
> > they're like a Carlsbad Cavern for germs.
> >

> Paula Deen does that. Mixes up meatballs and such wearing big ole
> diamond rings. At least her rings look expensive.
> Has anyone else noticed that people prone to wearing multiple cheap
> looking rings on each hand often tend to have the ugliest hands with fat
> sausage fingers, short stubby or long fake nails. They should avoid
> emphasizing their pudgy short fingers and hands that way.

I caught part of Paula's Saturday program, and she exclaimed that she
had once again forgotten to take her rings off - proceeded to grab a
porcelain ring box from behind her on the counter, and take her rings
off. She said she got the box to remind herself. I think it was a way
of showing off her rings. They're very pretty. ;-)

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> But then again, they deep fried the hamburgers, too... yes folks it was
> *that* Memphis burger place. Anyone care to guess the name of it? Now
> located on Beale Street but used to be in Midtown and the grease is 80 years
> old. Little bit of trivia for ya
>
> Jill

Hmmmmmm. Did you work the counter or tend the floaters? If I recall,
the transport of the sacred grease was a celebratory parade with police
escort.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Derek Lyons > wrote:
>Mike H > wrote:
>
>>Mr Libido Incognito > wrote in
:

>>> Pan frying seems to make them crisper than oven baking..

>>Direct heat will always crisp things better than radient heat.

>Plus pan frying allows moisture to escape - which oven baking does
>less well at.

Uh...

Baking is mostly convective heat. Slower than a convection oven,
but convective nonetheless.

Frying is faster because having high-temperature-coefficient
convection fluid (the oil) keeps the food hotter than
low-temperature-coefficeint fluid (air). The food in an
oven effectively creates a cool buffer-zone around itself.
A convection current strips away that buffer which is why
convection ovens work faster. But hot oil wins because
it can carry more heat and transfer it to cooler objects
faster than air can.

Frying at 350F is like baking at 450F, I'd guess, but
don't quote me on that...

Broiling is actually radiant heat, and it takes higher
temperatures than baking temperatures. At baking
temperatures there isn't as much infrared energy radiating
from the metal of the oven. The broiler radiates at
1100F or more. Pizza ovens operate at temperatures more
like 600-800F, and are on the fringe between baking and
broiling.

Now, as to "[frying] will crisp things better than [baking]",
well, yes, if the food has a lot of moisture. Because the
oil can transfer so much heat so fast it will boil out the
moisture at the same time it's browning the rest of the
substance. That boiling actually regulates the speed of the
cooking, and steams the insides. In baking the steam is
created slower and adds to the buffer zone around the food,
essentially steaming the outside almost as much as the inside.

Once the moisture boils out, the food will soak up the oil,
making it far less crispy than if you baked it from that point.

Oh, and the microwave just boils out the moisture, which
is usually the only heat it's producing. So once the
moisture is gone, so is the heating. Unless there's oil
in the food; then it fries itself.

--Blair