FoodBanter.com

-   -   Question about pan cooking large sausage links (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/94368-re-question-about-pan.html)

Peter A 21-06-2006 04:35 PM

Question about pan cooking large sausage links

In article >,
says...
> I'm wondering what people think about pan cooking large sausage links
> with regard to either:
> 1. Starting in a little water and then cooking to dry to crisp them
> up, or,
> 2. Starting them dry and crisping them up, then adding a little water
> to finish the cooking.
>
> Anyone have a preference and reason? I'm interested to know what other
> people think.
>
> If it matters, it's pork andouille sausage in casings.

I like to simmer slowly in water to cover than then remove to a fry pan
for final browning in a little oil.

If you pan fry first and then finish with water, there will be no
crispness left.

If you cook in water until dry, the protein residue that comes out of
most sausages makes for an unpleasant deposit.

--
Peter Aitken
Visit my recipe and kitchen myths pages at