Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Speaking of cold soups...

I must confess, I'm not a fan of any soup, hot or cold. But my variation of
cold cream of beer soup is quite popular here at the Feed Bag in the summer.
Customers often order this dish with a small side of sweet and sour mashed
potatoes.

INGREDIENTS:

12 fluid ounces Sapporo beer
24 fluid ounces Guinness Extra Stout
15 ounces crushed pineapple, drained
1 tablespoon powdered sugar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup heavy cream
3 egg yolks

DIRECTIONS:

Pour the beer and pineapple into a large saucepan. Stir in the
sugar, pepper, cinnamon, salt, Worcestershire Sauce and
nutmeg and bring to a boil.

In a small bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and cream. Whisk in a
little bit of the hot beer so the mixture warms without scrambling the
yolks. Stir into the beer while whisking constantly over low heat to avoid
curdling.

Puree in blender.

Refrigerate until cold.

Serve topped with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of lardones.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I adore cold soups! The best I have ever had have been in Holland
America's Maasdam and Zuiderdam dining rooms. The QE2 serves up very
good cold soups, too, but Holland America's soups beat even the QE2.
If folks go on a cruise, that is a great time to try various cold soups
-- the chef makes them, the waiters serve them, and all you do is
enjoy!