Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Warming Up To Cold Soups

I'd never been crazy about cold soups, but it seems that I just never had
*good* cold soups before. Last Friday I brought cold borscht to work, and I
liked it a lot. Yesterday I brought another cold soup (cream of zucchini
with sunflower greens), and I *loved* it. Today I brought white gazpacho,
and I'm enjoying it as I write this. (White gazpacho is a kind of almond
milk with garlic and peeled white grapes. The recipe originates in Spain,
same as "normal" gazpacho. Martha Stewart has a cucumber-based soup that
she CALLS white gazpacho, but I think it's just named that because it's
cold.)

In the brutally hot weather we get around Sacramento, cold soups make a lot
more sense than hot this time of year. It's also easy and practical to take
them into work, as I've been doing, and I don't need a microwave to make
them palatable. They'll be a regular part of my cooking repertoire from now
on. I'm glad I broke free of my prejudice against them! Anybody out there
have a favorite cold soup to recommend?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob-
I live in Sacramento too. . .My favorite cold soup recipe follows.

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

**************************
Gazpacho

1 C. finely chopped peeled tomatoes
½ C. finely chopped green sweet peppers
½ C. finely chopped celery
½ C. finely chopped cucumber
¼ C. minced onion
2 tsp. chopped parsley
1 tsp. chopped chives
1 small clove of garlic, pressed
2 tbsp. tarragon vinegar
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper
½ tsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 C. tomato or V/8 juice

Combine all ingredients in a glass bowl and blend well. Cover tightly
and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Serve in chilled cups with fried
croutons.

You may liquefy in blender if desired. This will make about 6 servings.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Myrl wrote:

> I live in Sacramento too. . .My favorite cold soup recipe follows.
>
> Gazpacho
>
> 1 C. finely chopped peeled tomatoes
> 1/2 C. finely chopped green sweet peppers
> 1/2 C. finely chopped celery
> 1/2 C. finely chopped cucumber
> 1/4 C. minced onion
> 2 tsp. chopped parsley
> 1 tsp. chopped chives
> 1 small clove of garlic, pressed
> 2 tbsp. tarragon vinegar
> 2 tbsp. olive oil
> 1 tsp. salt
> 1/4 tsp. pepper
> 1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
> 2 C. tomato or V/8 juice
>
> Combine all ingredients in a glass bowl and blend well. Cover tightly
> and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Serve in chilled cups with fried
> croutons.
>
> You may liquefy in blender if desired. This will make about 6 servings.

I'm going to try that this week. But I'm going to tweak it to reflect what
I've got: Rather than finely chopped peeled tomatoes I'm going to use
quartered cherry tomatoes. And I'm going to use marjoram vinegar instead of
tarragon vinegar.

Thanks for the recipe!

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> I'd never been crazy about cold soups, but it seems that I just never had
> *good* cold soups before. Last Friday I brought cold borscht to work, and I
> liked it a lot. Yesterday I brought another cold soup (cream of zucchini
> with sunflower greens), and I *loved* it. Today I brought white gazpacho,
> and I'm enjoying it as I write this. (White gazpacho is a kind of almond
> milk with garlic and peeled white grapes. The recipe originates in Spain,
> same as "normal" gazpacho. Martha Stewart has a cucumber-based soup that
> she CALLS white gazpacho, but I think it's just named that because it's
> cold.)
>
> In the brutally hot weather we get around Sacramento, cold soups make a lot
> more sense than hot this time of year. It's also easy and practical to take
> them into work, as I've been doing, and I don't need a microwave to make
> them palatable. They'll be a regular part of my cooking repertoire from now
> on. I'm glad I broke free of my prejudice against them! Anybody out there
> have a favorite cold soup to recommend?
>
> Bob

We make a lot of cold cucumber soup in the summer (when the CSA package
is providing 6-8 cucumbers a week). The recipe calls for kirby
cucumbers, but I use what I have on hand. If the cucumbers are very
large, I cut the seeds out.

Cold Cream of Cucumber with Dill and Yogurt

6 Kirby (or pickling) cucumbers, each about 5 inches long, ends
trimmed, unpeeled, cut into large chunks
3-4 sour dill pickles
2 Cups plain low-fat yogurt
2 Cups heavy (whipping) cream
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill
salt and pepper
Fresh dill sprigs for garnish

Put the cucumber, pickles, yogurt, cream, lemon juice and chopped dill
in a food processor fitted with the metal blade and process until the
vegetables are finely chopped. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> Myrl wrote:
>
>> I live in Sacramento too. . .My favorite cold soup recipe follows.
>>
>> Gazpacho
>>
>> 1 C. finely chopped peeled tomatoes
>> 1/2 C. finely chopped green sweet peppers
>> 1/2 C. finely chopped celery
>> 1/2 C. finely chopped cucumber
>> 1/4 C. minced onion
>> 2 tsp. chopped parsley
>> 1 tsp. chopped chives
>> 1 small clove of garlic, pressed
>> 2 tbsp. tarragon vinegar
>> 2 tbsp. olive oil
>> 1 tsp. salt
>> 1/4 tsp. pepper
>> 1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
>> 2 C. tomato or V/8 juice
>>
>> Combine all ingredients in a glass bowl and blend well. Cover tightly
>> and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Serve in chilled cups with fried
>> croutons.
>>
>> You may liquefy in blender if desired. This will make about 6 servings.

> I'm going to try that this week. But I'm going to tweak it to reflect what
> I've got: Rather than finely chopped peeled tomatoes I'm going to use
> quartered cherry tomatoes. And I'm going to use marjoram vinegar instead
> of
> tarragon vinegar.
>
> Thanks for the recipe!

I love gazpacho too. But I think I'll wait for decent tomatoes to hit the
stands. Living in Sacramento (yeah, there are a few of us!), you'd think
the grocery stores would be full to the brim with fabulous tomatoes. Not
so. Only place to buy em is at the farmer's market -- or pick em from the
back yard!

TammyM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I bought some cold soup at Whole Foods last week,
it was good, the ingredients are fresh, no complaints at
all ... it just wasn't what I had in mind. Before anyone
says what's wrong with you, didn't you read the ingredients???,

No, I didn't. It was an impulse purchase, thought I'd try it.

Anyone have a cold soup recipe that would be called
Cucumber Yogurt that would not include cilantro, maybe not
red onion, most assuredly not honeydew melon?

Otherwise do you just whirl together cucumber, yogurt
and mint/salt/whatever?

nancy (not so big on cold soups, either)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

"Bob Terwilliger" > schreef in bericht
> I'd never been crazy about cold soups, but it seems that I just never had
> *good* cold soups before. Last Friday I brought cold borscht to work, and
> liked it a lot. Yesterday I brought another cold soup (cream of zucchini
> with sunflower greens), and I *loved* it. Today I brought white gazpacho,
> and I'm enjoying it as I write this. (White gazpacho is a kind of almond
> milk with garlic and peeled white grapes. The recipe originates in Spain,
> same as "normal" gazpacho. Martha Stewart has a cucumber-based soup that
> she CALLS white gazpacho, but I think it's just named that because it's
> cold.)
>
> In the brutally hot weather we get around Sacramento, cold soups make a
> lot
> more sense than hot this time of year. It's also easy and practical to
> take
> them into work, as I've been doing, and I don't need a microwave to make
> them palatable. They'll be a regular part of my cooking repertoire from
> now
> on. I'm glad I broke free of my prejudice against them! Anybody out there
> have a favorite cold soup to recommend?
>
> Bob

I don't have an actual recipe (I wing it), but there are Turkish yogurt
soups that are served cold. They may include cumin, or go the dill or
parsley way. Uusually made with veg stock. Things to give it more body could
be cooked lentils or barley. I guess you could also top it with (garlicky or
parpika-ey) croutons. Or serve with flat bread.

The soup is cooked without the yogurt, then cooled. Finally, the yogurt is
stirred in.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

> I don't have an actual recipe (I wing it), but there are Turkish yogurt
> soups that are served cold. They may include cumin, or go the dill or
> parsley way. Uusually made with veg stock. Things to give it more body
> could be cooked lentils or barley. I guess you could also top it with
> (garlicky or parpika-ey) croutons. Or serve with flat bread.
>
> The soup is cooked without the yogurt, then cooled. Finally, the yogurt is
> stirred in.

Just remembered, there is also chlodnik (or chlodnik litewski). Think
borscht with yogurt os sour cream. Nice with a boiled egg in the middle or
with some chives. Learned that in Krakow 2 weeks ago. Will post my eating
exeperiences from there as soon as I get the chance to write them down.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael wrote:

> this is one of my all time favorites and I do use chicken stock (if I have
> some made) instead of water.

I had to smile at this. An episode of "Emeril Live" featured Julia Child as
a guest, and Emeril wanted to make vichyssoise. He remarked to the audience
that using chicken stock provided more flavor to the soup, and Julia
immediately chided him for it, saying that the soup has a much more "pure"
taste if you use water as in the recipe.

'Course you like your martinis dirty, so maybe purity isn't all that
important to you. :-)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM wrote:

> I love gazpacho too. But I think I'll wait for decent tomatoes to hit the
> stands. Living in Sacramento (yeah, there are a few of us!), you'd think
> the grocery stores would be full to the brim with fabulous tomatoes. Not
> so. Only place to buy em is at the farmer's market -- or pick em from the
> back yard!

I just got three pints of cherry tomatoes from the CSA farm. :-Þ

We briefly discussed Sacramento-area CSA's on this list, and you expressed
some interest. Did you decide not to do it this year?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy wrote:

> Anyone have a cold soup recipe that would be called
> Cucumber Yogurt that would not include cilantro, maybe not
> red onion, most assuredly not honeydew melon?
>
> Otherwise do you just whirl together cucumber, yogurt
> and mint/salt/whatever?

Cucumber, yogurt, mint, salt, white pepper, garlic (roasted if possible),
cumin, and some kind of liquid to thin it further. Water, whey from making
paneer, chicken stock, or buttermilk would work. If you want to put forth a
little more effort, you can make a strongly-flavored "tomato water" by
puréeing tomatoes and then straining them through a coffee filter.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tammy and Bob (Sacramentans)
Have you been to the Farmer's Market that is at Sunrise Mall on
Saturday mornings? I love their produce, vegetables, and fruits.
Superb quality, great prices. . .usually!

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob - What's the CSA farm?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Myrl wrote:

> Tammy and Bob (Sacramentans)
> Have you been to the Farmer's Market that is at Sunrise Mall on
> Saturday mornings? I love their produce, vegetables, and fruits.
> Superb quality, great prices. . .usually!

I've heard that there WAS one, but I'd heard it was on Sundays, and when I
drove out on Sunday morning, nobody was there. No wonder; I was there on the
wrong day!

Only thing is, I'll be hitting that market after I hit the Farmer's Markets
in Lincoln (where I live), Auburn (where I get the best peaches), and
Rocklin (where I got an incredible artichoke-pesto bread). Like I needed
ANOTHER Saturday-morning market!

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Myrl wrote:

> Bob - What's the CSA farm?

Here's what I posted here a week ago in response to Tammy asking the same
thing:

www.naturaltradingco.com/home.html is the web site for my CSA farm.
According to localharvest.org, the Natural Trading Company does have drop
points in Sacramento, but you'd have to contact them to make sure.

There are CSA's closer to you; check out http://tinyurl.com/lzxga. If I
lived in Sacramento I'd definitely be interested in Eatwell Farm in Dixon,
since it's year-round. Most of the CSA's around here are only 20 weeks
long.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gin gazpacho.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
<snip>
Anybody out there
> have a favorite cold soup to recommend?
>
> Bob =====

Yes, quite a few. The strawberry and the melon ones are my FAVORITE....
thanks for the reminder to start making them again. 1000 apologies for not
having all of the authors listed... it's a long story.

Chilled Avocado Soup

1 lg Avocado
1/2 c Half-n-Half, Light or Whipping Cream
1 1/2 c chilled Chicken Broth
1 TBSP Lemon Juice
Salt
Chives

Puree Avocado with Chicken Broth and Lemon Juice until smooth.

Season with Salt. Chill and/or serve. Garnish w/ chopped chives.

Chilled Melon Soup // Cooking Light Cookbook

3 c cubed Honeydew Melon
3 c cubed Cantaloupe
1/4 c Rum or Vodka (opt)
1/4 c Sugar, divided
3 TBSP Fresh Lime Juice, divided
3/4 c sliced Strawberries

Puree Honeydew and place in a bowl.

Puree Cantaloupe and place into another bowl.

Add 2 TBSP Rum or Vodka, 2 TBSP Sugar, and 1 TBSP Lime Juice into each bowl
of melon; stir well, cover and chill.

Puree Strawberries until smooth. Add remaining Lime Juice and Sugar; chill.

To serve, pour 1/2 cup of Cantaloupe mixture into 4 individual serving bowls
and then pour 1/2 cup of Honeydew mixture in the center of Cantaloupe
mixture in each bowl. Dollop each serving w/ 2 TBSP Strawberry mixture;
swirl decoratively using a wooden
pick.

Cal: 180 Fat: 0.5 g Pro: 1.7 g Carb: 34.6 g
Fiber: 2.1 g Sodium: 22 mg Calcium: 23 mg

Chilled Strawberry Soup

1 c dry white wine (or Boone Farms Strawberry wine)
1/3 cup sugar
2 cups strawberries
1 cup orange juice
1/8 tsp. ground cardamom
fresh mint sprigs
heavy cream

Place the wine and the sugar in a saucepan. Heat to the point of boiling.
Stir often to dissolve the sugar. Remove from the heat.

Meanwhile, puree the strawberries in a blender. Add the strawberries, orange
juice and cardomom to the wine mixture. Allow to completely chill.

Before serving, beat the heavy cream with a mixer until thick and frothy.
Add one spoonful of cream to each bowl of soup and swirl. Garnish with
mint.

Iced Korean Cucumber Soup (This one is a bit 'different')

2 cucumbers
2 cups chicken broth (or use canned broth), degreased
1 cup water
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon white pepper
4 green onions, chopped on the diagonal
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
15 to 20 ice cubes

1. If the cucumbers are waxy, peel them. If the skin is thin and unwaxed,
leave it on. Slice the cucumber into matchstick pieces, about 2 inches in
length. An easy way to do this is to slice thin, flat strips using the wide
blade of a grater. Then, stack the strips on each other and slice them
lengthwise into skinny, 1/4-inch wide strips. Finally cut these strips
crosswise into 2-inch lengths.

2. Trim the "beards" off the green onions and slice them on the diagonal
into 1/4 inch wide bits.

3. In a large serving bowl, mix together the chicken broth, water, cider
vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar and white pepper. Stir in the cucumber
and green onions. Chill well. At this point the soup will keep for several
hours.

4. Just before serving, stir the ice cubes and sesame seeds into the soup.
Taste the soup to correct the seasonings. It should be pleasantly tart and
slightly salty, with a hint of sesame. If the flavorings seem too strong,
then dilute with additional water, but keep in mind that the ice cubes will
thin down the flavors as
they melt.

Serves 4 to 6.

Melon Soup
- Anonymous

1 Cantaloupe pared, seeded & cubed (2 #)
1/2 Honeydew pared, seeded & cubed (2#)
2/3 c sweet white wine (or Boone Farms Melon!!)
1/4 tsp ground cardamom
Chopped mint for garnish

Reserve a few melon cubes for garnish. In food processor or blender
container, in batches, puree cantaloupe, honeydew, wine and cardamom; chill
until ready to serve. At serving time, skim foam from top of soup; pour into
soup bowls. Garnish with melon pieces and chopped mint.

Peach Soup ( I haven't made this one (yet!) nor remember where it came
from...)

5 large peaches, sliced
4 c water
2 TBSP lemon juice
1/4 c maple syrup
1 TBSP arrowroot
1 c white wine
1/4 c orange or peach liqueur
1 c whipping cream
1/4 tsp nutmeg (opt)

Combine peaches, water and lemon juice in a sauce pan; simmer 15 minutes.
Puree in blender with maple syrup and arrowroot. Add wine and liqueur.
Pour in half the cream; mix thoroughly; chill 1 hour. Whip remaining
creamand dollop on top of each serving. Add a sprinkling of nutmeg if
desired.

Raspberry Fuchsia Soup (Same with this one...not sure who but will know
"when and how" soon!)

3 c fresh raspberries
3/4 c water
2 TBSP lemon juice
2 TBSP lemon rind, grated fine
2 TBSP arrowroot
1/2 c maple syrup
2 c strawberry wine
1/2 c sour cream
1/2 c fresh raspberries

Puree raspberries for soup; strain through a sieve into bowl; set aside.
Take seeds and rind left in sieve and transfer to sauce pan; add water;
simmer for 5 minutes; strain into bowl containing berry juice; discard seeds
remaining in sieve. Combine lemon
juice, lemon rind and arrowroot. Add to berry juice; add maple syrup and
wine; transfer to sauce pan.
Simmer over low heat until thick. Refrigerate 2 hours. Serve in individual
bowls with a dollop of sour cream and a spoonful of berries on top of each
bowl.

Santa Fe Melon Soup

1 large cantaloupe (about 4 pounds), peeled, seeded and chopped
3 TBSP sugar
2 TBSP chopped fresh mint leaves
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup dry white wine or white grape juice
2 tsp grated orange peel
Fresh mint leaves

1. Place cantaloupe, sugar and 2 tablespoons mint in food processor
workbowl fitted with steel blade or in blender container. Cover and process
until smooth.

2. Stir together cantaloupe, sour cream, wine and orange peel. Garnish with
mint leaves.

1 Serving: 115 calories (35 calories from fat); 4 g fat (2 g saturated); 15
mg cholesterol; 20 mg sodium; 19 g carbohydrate (1 g dietary fiber); 2 g
protein.

Santa Fe Melon Soup

1 large cantaloupe (about 4 pounds), peeled, seeded and chopped
3 TBSP sugar
2 TBSP chopped fresh mint leaves
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup dry white wine or white grape juice
2 tsp grated orange peel
Fresh mint leaves

1. Place cantaloupe, sugar and 2 tablespoons mint in food processor
workbowl fitted with steel blade or in blender container. Cover and process
until smooth.

2. Stir together cantaloupe, sour cream, wine and orange peel. Garnish with
mint leaves.

1 Serving: 115 calories (35 calories from fat); 4 g fat (2 g saturated); 15
mg cholesterol; 20 mg sodium; 19 g carbohydrate (1 g dietary fiber); 2 g
protein.

Strawberry Tropical Soup

3 c strawberries
1 c frozen cherries
4 c strawberry juice (made from frozen concentrate)
2 TBSP clover honey
1/2 c fresh lime juice
1/2 c sweet white wine
1/2 c light cream
2 TBSP cornstarch
2 TBSP cold water
1/2 c sour cream

Mix cornstarch in 2 TBSP cold water. Simmer strawberry juice, honey, lime
juice and white wine until mixture thickens. Stir occasionally as it is
cooling. Put strawberries and cream with chilled mixture and blend until
smooth. Strain through a strainer. Mix in thawed cherries. Add a dollop of
sour cream to each serving.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Syssi wrote:

>> have a favorite cold soup to recommend?

> Yes, quite a few. The strawberry and the melon ones are my FAVORITE....
> thanks for the reminder to start making them again. 1000 apologies for
> not having all of the authors listed... it's a long story.

<snip>
> Strawberry Tropical Soup
>
> 3 c strawberries
> 1 c frozen cherries
> 4 c strawberry juice (made from frozen concentrate)
> 2 TBSP clover honey
> 1/2 c fresh lime juice
> 1/2 c sweet white wine
> 1/2 c light cream
> 2 TBSP cornstarch
> 2 TBSP cold water
> 1/2 c sour cream
>
> Mix cornstarch in 2 TBSP cold water. Simmer strawberry juice, honey, lime
> juice and white wine until mixture thickens. Stir occasionally as it is
> cooling. Put strawberries and cream with chilled mixture and blend until
> smooth. Strain through a strainer. Mix in thawed cherries. Add a dollop of
> sour cream to each serving.

I'll be getting a big box of Rainier cherries from Harry & David in a couple
weeks. I think I'll try making this soup using some of those cherries and
using coconut milk instead of light cream.

Thanks for the recipes!

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> Syssi wrote:
>
>>> have a favorite cold soup to recommend?

>> Yes, quite a few. The strawberry and the melon ones are my FAVORITE....
>> thanks for the reminder to start making them again. 1000 apologies for
>> not having all of the authors listed... it's a long story.

> <snip>
>> Strawberry Tropical Soup
>>
>> 3 c strawberries
>> 1 c frozen cherries
>> 4 c strawberry juice (made from frozen concentrate)
>> 2 TBSP clover honey
>> 1/2 c fresh lime juice
>> 1/2 c sweet white wine
>> 1/2 c light cream
>> 2 TBSP cornstarch
>> 2 TBSP cold water
>> 1/2 c sour cream
>>
>> Mix cornstarch in 2 TBSP cold water. Simmer strawberry juice, honey, lime
>> juice and white wine until mixture thickens. Stir occasionally as it is
>> cooling. Put strawberries and cream with chilled mixture and blend until
>> smooth. Strain through a strainer. Mix in thawed cherries. Add a dollop
>> of
>> sour cream to each serving.

> I'll be getting a big box of Rainier cherries from Harry & David in a
> couple
> weeks. I think I'll try making this soup using some of those cherries and
> using coconut milk instead of light cream.
>
> Thanks for the recipes!

You are most welcome and that sounds like a delicious version!! Rainier
cherries rock (as does coconut milk in everything!).
--
Syssi