Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Father's Day menu

Anybody doing interesting food for Father's Day, or is it going to be
grilled steaks and burgers?

This is my plan:

Gyros (AB's recipe, FoodTV)
with tzatziki sauce (I wing it, no real recipe), onion, and tomato
on home made pita bread

with a side of French fries.

Maybe a Greek-ish salad to go with. We'll see.

For dessert, home made ice cream, strawberry or butter pecan.

Possibly some miniature bundt cakes (cupcake size). I think it would look
good with a scoop of the ice cream on top. Plain yellow cake, most likely.
I'll think about that tomorrow. Maybe a little rum in the cakes.

Maybe some little appetizer, I haven't decided that yet.

--
Donna

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sat 17 Jun 2006 08:58:15p, D.Currie meant to say...

> Anybody doing interesting food for Father's Day, or is it going to be
> grilled steaks and burgers?
>
> This is my plan:
>
> Gyros (AB's recipe, FoodTV)
> with tzatziki sauce (I wing it, no real recipe), onion, and tomato
> on home made pita bread
>
> with a side of French fries.
>
> Maybe a Greek-ish salad to go with. We'll see.
>
> For dessert, home made ice cream, strawberry or butter pecan.
>
> Possibly some miniature bundt cakes (cupcake size). I think it would
> look good with a scoop of the ice cream on top. Plain yellow cake, most
> likely. I'll think about that tomorrow. Maybe a little rum in the cakes.
>
> Maybe some little appetizer, I haven't decided that yet.

Both David's and my father have been gone for years now. We will have a
cookout for outselves and think of them. We'll have grilled tandoori
chicken, grilled corn on the cob, minted cucumber raita, and a dessert of
goat's milk ice cream flavored with rosewater and pistachios.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

D.Currie wrote:
> Anybody doing interesting food for Father's Day, or is it going to be
> grilled steaks and burgers?

We actually did our Father's Day celebration today -- a day early, to
accomodate the majority of schedules in the family. This year I
planned a picnic at a local National Park...I made fried chicken and
potato salad, sister made a corn/tomato/basil salad, brother and SIL
made deviled eggs and cold green bean salad, MIL brought fruit salad
and home made rolls. My mom made a cake. Lots of great beverages. We
spent the afternoon climbing rocks, taking mini-hikes, chatting and
catching up, playing frizbee with Lucy (the spoiled wonderdog) and just
relaxing. We all agreed that it was a nearly perfect day. Tomorrow we
can all do whatever we want without the issues of getting together late
on a Sunday (too tired to go to work early on Monday) and messing up
somebody's (mine) kitchen.

Happy Father's Day to all of you Dads out there!

Sandy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
28.19...

> Both David's and my father have been gone for years now. We will have a
> cookout for outselves and think of them. We'll have grilled tandoori
> chicken, grilled corn on the cob, minted cucumber raita, and a dessert of
> goat's milk ice cream flavored with rosewater and pistachios.

Your menu is noticeably, um....lower cal than mine, Wayne. But we don't eat
like that all the time, so I'm not *too* guilty. But maybe I should make
that salad....

Actually, both DH's and my dad are long gone, too. We'll be with his mom and
step-dad. But it's not like step-dad raised him, we're just the only ones
nearby. His mom and step-dad got married after all of the "kids" (six each)
were adults, so it's not like the Brady Bunch.

Donna

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sat 17 Jun 2006 10:17:25p, D.Currie meant to say...

> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> 28.19...
>>
>> Both David's and my father have been gone for years now. We will have
>> a cookout for outselves and think of them. We'll have grilled tandoori
>> chicken, grilled corn on the cob, minted cucumber raita, and a dessert
>> of goat's milk ice cream flavored with rosewater and pistachios.
>>

> Your menu is noticeably, um....lower cal than mine, Wayne. But we don't
> eat like that all the time, so I'm not *too* guilty. But maybe I should
> make that salad....

Your menu sounds delicious! However, we're still following Weight Watchers
and we both still have about 20 lbs each to lose. It just doesn't pay for
us to go off the deep end and gain back any weight. Otherwise, I'd be
sorely tempted. :-)

> Actually, both DH's and my dad are long gone, too. We'll be with his mom
> and step-dad. But it's not like step-dad raised him, we're just the only
> ones nearby. His mom and step-dad got married after all of the "kids"
> (six each) were adults, so it's not like the Brady Bunch.

Neither of us have any family locally since we moved to AZ in 2000. Both
my parents are gone and I'm an only child. My remaining relatives are over
1500 miles away. David's siblings are even further away, so we celebrate
many things on our own. It's nice remembering earlier times...

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________

Posted to rec.food.cooking

D.Currie wrote:
> Anybody doing interesting food for Father's Day, or is it going to be
> grilled steaks and burgers?
>
> This is my plan:
>
> Gyros (AB's recipe, FoodTV)
> with tzatziki sauce (I wing it, no real recipe), onion, and tomato
> on home made pita bread
>
> with a side of French fries.
>
> Maybe a Greek-ish salad to go with. We'll see.
>
> For dessert, home made ice cream, strawberry or butter pecan.
>
> Possibly some miniature bundt cakes (cupcake size). I think it would look
> good with a scoop of the ice cream on top. Plain yellow cake, most likely.
> I'll think about that tomorrow. Maybe a little rum in the cakes.
>
> Maybe some little appetizer, I haven't decided that yet.
>
> --
> Donna

Man, can I eat at your house? The sauce I make for gyros is sour
cream, garlic, salt, pepper, onions and cukes. Very tasty!

We will be having Cornish game hens, roasted potatoes with onions and
carrots, steamed boring broccoli, tossed salad and cherry pie. DS
bought DH a soccer ball so I hope the two of them will entertain each
other outside while I cook.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Father's Day menu - with recipes

In article >,
"D.Currie" > wrote:

> Anybody doing interesting food for Father's Day, or is it going to be
> grilled steaks and burgers?
>
> This is my plan:
>
> Gyros (AB's recipe, FoodTV)
> with tzatziki sauce (I wing it, no real recipe), onion, and tomato
> on home made pita bread
>
> with a side of French fries.
>
> Maybe a Greek-ish salad to go with. We'll see.
>
> For dessert, home made ice cream, strawberry or butter pecan.
>
> Possibly some miniature bundt cakes (cupcake size). I think it would look
> good with a scoop of the ice cream on top. Plain yellow cake, most likely.
> I'll think about that tomorrow. Maybe a little rum in the cakes.
>
> Maybe some little appetizer, I haven't decided that yet.

Bloomer Droppers
Grilled bratwursts and Italian sausages, simmered in beer before grilling
Cole Slaw
Graduation Beans
Homemade Potato Salad
Five-cup Fruit Salad
Ripple Chips with Top The Tater
Fresh, locally grown, strawberries (macerated in orange juice) over
disgusting supermarket sponge cake cups, topped with Cool Whip or
whipped cream

{ Exported from MasterCook Mac }

Humboldt Avenue Graduation Beans

Recipe By: posted again to r.f.cooking by Barb Schaller, 6-18-2006
Serving Size: 1
Preparation Time: 0:00
Categories: Vegetables

Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
1 can baked beans ( B&M or Bush¹s) (28 oz.)
1 can French-style green beans (16 oz.) drained
1 can red kidney beans (16 oz.) drained
and rinsed
1 1/2 cups each: packed brown sugar chopped celery,
chopped onion, and chopped green pepper
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 cup chili sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
5 strips bacon

Dump it all together except the bacon. Lay the bacon strips on top.
Bake at 350 degrees for a couple of hours. Eat Œem up.

The story of the beans: Mary served these beans at Debbie N¹s
graduation party. Note that the Ns and the Bs (Schaller neighbors) have
11 children between them, of approximately the same ages. For about the
next 7 years, one or both of those families served the beans at the
respective graduation parties. After the second serving, Rob Schaller
dubbed them The Graduation Beans and looked for them at all the parties
-- and they were there.

Incidentally, the recipe serves 20 or so people, unless one of them is
Rob Schaller -- then it¹s food for about 16 people!

‹‹‹‹‹
Notes: In about 1976 or so, Mary pried this recipe from some folks in
Iowa, whose family wedding she was attending.
_____

{ Exported from MasterCook Mac }

5-cup salad

Recipe By: Posted to r.f.c. by Barb Schaller, 6-18-2006
Serving Size: 6
Preparation Time: 5:00
Categories: Salads

1 cup miniature marshmallows
1 cup sour cream
1 cup drained canned mandarin oranges (10 oz can)
1 cup flaked coconut
1 cup drained pineapple tidbits (small flat can)

Combine and chill overnight.
‹‹‹‹‹
--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 6-15-2006; Spanish Chicken and
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 18 Jun 2006 04:34:25a, Melba's Jammin' meant to say...

> Bloomer Droppers
> Grilled bratwursts and Italian sausages, simmered in beer before grilling
> Cole Slaw
> Graduation Beans
> Homemade Potato Salad
> Five-cup Fruit Salad
> Ripple Chips with Top The Tater
> Fresh, locally grown, strawberries (macerated in orange juice) over
> disgusting supermarket sponge cake cups, topped with Cool Whip or
> whipped cream

If I didn't know better, I'd think it was 1952!

What the hay are Bloomer Droppers?

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"D.Currie" > wrote:

> Anybody doing interesting food for Father's Day, or is it going to be
> grilled steaks and burgers?

Your menu sounds nice. My Father's Day (for my dad) began on Tuesday
after work. My mom can't drive due to a medical problem so she called me
to ask me to pick up a Father's Day card for her to give to my dad.

After work Tuesday, I rode my bike over to a drug store and I bought a
card for my dad on behalf of my mom and a card for me to give to him. As
I waited in line to pay for the card, I noticed other people in line
buying Faather's Day cards.

As I waited in line to pay for the cards, I got to thinking how
superficial those greeting cards are. After I got home from my bike
ride, I decided I could not just give my dad a card for his 44th
Father's Day!

I decided to write my dad a letter to reminisce about my childhood as
his son. I spent four hours writing a three page letter to my dad. I
included a photo of me in the letter. I made the font size fairly large
because my dad is far sighted and he has trouble seeing small type,
which is why my letter was three pages. I generally try to keep written
correspondance down to no more than one page.

My mom, dad, and I rang in Father's Day yesterday because my parents
like to beat the rush. I went over to their house and I treated them to
dinner. I mailed the greeting card and the letter to my dad on
Wednesday, so he had already seen it. My dad's one of those old guys who
feels that men should never cry, but my mom told me that after he and
she read my letter on Thursday, that they both were in tears and my dad
called me to thank me for taking the time to write such a nice letter.
In the letter, I thanked him for everything he did and I noted things he
did that helped me to grow into a better person.

I also bought my dad two old movies in DVD; The Way we Were and an Afred
Hitchcock flick, and a DVD player for the TV in my folks' bedroom, but I
could not hook it up because the TV is 20 years old and it only has old
style inputs. My dad said he'll go to Radio Shack to get an adaptor.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Stan Horwitz" > wrote in message
> As I waited in line to pay for the cards, I got to thinking how
> superficial those greeting cards are. After I got home from my bike
> ride, I decided I could not just give my dad a card for his 44th
> Father's Day!
>
> I decided to write my dad a letter to reminisce about my childhood as
> his son. I spent four hours writing a three page letter to my dad. I
> included a photo of me in the letter. I made the font size fairly large
> because my dad is far sighted and he has trouble seeing small type,
> which is why my letter was three pages. I generally try to keep written
> correspondance down to no more than one page.

Your Dad is lucky to have you)))

Posted to rec.food.cooking

D.Currie wrote:
> Anybody doing interesting food for Father's Day, or is it going to be
> grilled steaks and burgers?

His favorite dish is scampi, specifically he likes the scampi from red
lobster, where he used to wait tables long ago. So,reserving judgement
on RL's food, i'm making their version of scampi from a top-secret
recipes kinda site. basically, shrimp baked in a casserole dish of
butter, white wine, garlic, and parsley.

Rice pilaf on the side, and whatever good veggies are fresh at the
market. hopefulle some sugar snap peas, if I'm lucky!

And a fruit salad of fresh berries and peaches.

Giant choc chip cookie for dessert (his favorite).

Since he works Sundays from 11 AM - 10 PM, we had our special time at
brunch this morning. I made stufdfed french toast, using challah, cream
cheese, organic morello cherry spread from TJ's, a custard of egg and
half-n-half with almond extract added to it; griddled it and served it
with both real maple syrup and fresh homemade raspberry syrup. Huge
pots of coffee alongside.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

D.Currie wrote:
> Anybody doing interesting food for Father's Day, or is it going to be
> grilled steaks and burgers?
>
> This is my plan:
>
> Gyros (AB's recipe, FoodTV)
> with tzatziki sauce (I wing it, no real recipe), onion, and tomato
> on home made pita bread
>
> with a side of French fries.
>
> Maybe a Greek-ish salad to go with. We'll see.
>
> For dessert, home made ice cream, strawberry or butter pecan.
>
> Possibly some miniature bundt cakes (cupcake size). I think it would
> look good with a scoop of the ice cream on top. Plain yellow cake,
> most likely. I'll think about that tomorrow. Maybe a little rum in
> the cakes.
>
> Maybe some little appetizer, I haven't decided that yet.

Nothing, since my father is three states away. I called; father was taking
a nap so I talked to mom. She's planning to serve him leftover mac &
cheese. Oh well. He's not *her* father! And she hates to cook. At least
it's real mac & cheese and not the stuff from the blue box!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

D.Currie wrote:
> Anybody doing interesting food for Father's Day, or is it going to be
> grilled steaks and burgers?
>
> This is my plan:
>
> Gyros (AB's recipe, FoodTV)
> with tzatziki sauce (I wing it, no real recipe), onion, and tomato
> on home made pita bread
>
> with a side of French fries.
>
> Maybe a Greek-ish salad to go with. We'll see.
>
> For dessert, home made ice cream, strawberry or butter pecan.
>
> Possibly some miniature bundt cakes (cupcake size). I think it would look
> good with a scoop of the ice cream on top. Plain yellow cake, most likely.
> I'll think about that tomorrow. Maybe a little rum in the cakes.
>
> Maybe some little appetizer, I haven't decided that yet.

sounds lovely!
My dad is working today saving lives, he's a medi-vac helicopter pilot, we've
scheduled a bbq for next weekend. I have to talk to his wife this week and get
a menu planned out. I figure I'll bring my curried potato salad at the very
least and maybe some ribs rubbed with Galena street rub.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> Fresh, locally grown, strawberries (macerated in orange juice) over
> disgusting supermarket sponge cake cups, topped with Cool Whip or
> whipped cream

Okay, that's the kind of description I want to see on a restaurant menu.
"The salsa's lovingly home made, but the chips are the kind you'll find in
any grocery store, so don't get your hopes up too much."

Donna

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"-L." > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Man, can I eat at your house? The sauce I make for gyros is sour
> cream, garlic, salt, pepper, onions and cukes. Very tasty!

Come on over, but we won't be here, and neither will the gyros...we're
taking this show on the road....

My sauce usually starts with yogurt, but I add a little sour cream as well.
There's an astringent quality to yogurt that the sour cream seems to muffle.
I add finely minced cukes, a little onion, sometimes some garlic (there's
plenty in the gyros meat), salt, pepper, and sometimes a little lemon juice
or lemon zest. Most of the recipes I see online call for mint or dill. I've
tried both, but neither impressed me much.

> We will be having Cornish game hens, roasted potatoes with onions and
> carrots, steamed boring broccoli, tossed salad and cherry pie. DS
> bought DH a soccer ball so I hope the two of them will entertain each
> other outside while I cook.

I haven't had cornish hens in a long time. I'll have to pick some up one of
these days. And I love boring steamed broccoli...

Donna

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Donna wrote:

> My sauce usually starts with yogurt, but I add a little sour cream as
> well. There's an astringent quality to yogurt that the sour cream seems to
> muffle. I add finely minced cukes, a little onion, sometimes some garlic
> (there's plenty in the gyros meat), salt, pepper, and sometimes a little
> lemon juice or lemon zest. Most of the recipes I see online call for mint
> or dill. I've tried both, but neither impressed me much.

Ever tried adding a bit of roasted cumin?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Ripple Chips with Top The Tater

hmmmm that was totally one of my favorite treats when I had the chemically
induced munchies in college...trying to tell us something, Barb?

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I'm making:

crab legs
asparagus -- probably will steam the asparagus; I'll roast it if the
weather cools off a bit
garlic mashed potatoes

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stan Horwitz wrote:
> In article >,
> "D.Currie" > wrote:
>

>>Anybody doing interesting food for Father's Day, or is it going to be
>>grilled steaks and burgers?

*snippage*

> Your menu sounds nice. My Father's Day (for my dad) began on Tuesday
> after work. My mom can't drive due to a medical problem so she called me
> to ask me to pick up a Father's Day card for her to give to my dad.

*Lots of snippage*

> I also bought my dad two old movies in DVD; The Way we Were and an Afred
> Hitchcock flick, and a DVD player for the TV in my folks' bedroom, but I
> could not hook it up because the TV is 20 years old and it only has old
> style inputs. My dad said he'll go to Radio Shack to get an adaptor.

I really should keep this post and have it handy the next time someone
asks me why I like Stan so much. )
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
The Bubbo > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > Ripple Chips with Top The Tater

> hmmmm that was totally one of my favorite treats when I had the chemically
> induced munchies in college...trying to tell us something, Barb?

LOL. What I'll tell you is that my SIL The Probation Officer requested
chips and the sour cream glop to accompany them. :-) Me do drugs?
Honey, I was 17/18 in 1963 and my mother would have killed me if I'd
ever done drugs. In fact, back in The Day, marijuana was called dope
and it was the dopes who smoked. Just coming into vogue, as 'twere,
around here.
--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 6-15-2006; Spanish Chicken and
Rice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"D.Currie" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > Fresh, locally grown, strawberries (macerated in orange juice) over
> > disgusting supermarket sponge cake cups, topped with Cool Whip or
> > whipped cream

> Okay, that's the kind of description I want to see on a restaurant menu.
> "The salsa's lovingly home made, but the chips are the kind you'll find in
> any grocery store, so don't get your hopes up too much."
>
> Donna

I wound up making shortcake as well as having those disgusting sponge
things. The Kid helped me whip the cream and I let her pour in about 2
Tbsp cheap triple sec into the cream as it finished. Raves all 'round.
And Beck and I decided we needed more berries to kind of even out the
biscuit:berries ratio which had been rather skewed. In the interest of
science and all. The berries, btw, were absolutely out of this world.
The Kid thinks sugar should go on everything and I refused to let her.
She lived.
--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 6-15-2006; Spanish Chicken and
Rice.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 9>,
Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh pshaw, on Sun 18 Jun 2006 04:34:25a, Melba's Jammin' meant to say...
>
> > Bloomer Droppers
> > Grilled bratwursts and Italian sausages, simmered in beer before grilling
> > Cole Slaw
> > Graduation Beans
> > Homemade Potato Salad
> > Five-cup Fruit Salad
> > Ripple Chips with Top The Tater
> > Fresh, locally grown, strawberries (macerated in orange juice) over
> > disgusting supermarket sponge cake cups, topped with Cool Whip or
> > whipped cream

> If I didn't know better, I'd think it was 1952!

And your point exactly is what? I'm a child of the 50s and 60s.

> What the hay are Bloomer Droppers?

Google for it. I've posted it here a couple times recently.
--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 6-15-2006; Spanish Chicken and
Rice.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 18 Jun 2006 02:44:13p, Melba's Jammin' meant to say...

> In article 9>,
> Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Oh pshaw, on Sun 18 Jun 2006 04:34:25a, Melba's Jammin' meant to say...
>>
>> > Bloomer Droppers
>> > Grilled bratwursts and Italian sausages, simmered in beer before
>> > grilling Cole Slaw
>> > Graduation Beans
>> > Homemade Potato Salad
>> > Five-cup Fruit Salad
>> > Ripple Chips with Top The Tater
>> > Fresh, locally grown, strawberries (macerated in orange juice) over
>> > disgusting supermarket sponge cake cups, topped with Cool Whip or
>> > whipped cream

>> If I didn't know better, I'd think it was 1952!

> And your point exactly is what? I'm a child of the 50s and 60s.

As am I, as you well know. I think that would be a really fun meal!

>> What the hay are Bloomer Droppers?

> Google for it. I've posted it here a couple times recently.

Already did. If I had any peaches I might try it.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"D.Currie" > wrote in message
> Anybody doing interesting food for Father's Day, or is it going to be
> grilled steaks and burgers?
>
> This is my plan:
>
> Gyros (AB's recipe, FoodTV)
> with tzatziki sauce (I wing it, no real recipe), onion, and tomato
> on home made pita bread
>
> with a side of French fries.
>
> Maybe a Greek-ish salad to go with. We'll see.
>
> For dessert, home made ice cream, strawberry or butter pecan.
>
> Possibly some miniature bundt cakes (cupcake size). I think it would look
> good with a scoop of the ice cream on top. Plain yellow cake, most likely.
> I'll think about that tomorrow. Maybe a little rum in the cakes.
>
> Maybe some little appetizer, I haven't decided that yet.

Sounds delish! I sent my dad a smoked salmon gift basket for Father's Day.
For DH, DD and I put together a basket full of goodies that he loves:
several individual microbrew beers, a pound of coffee, some Lindt and
Scharffen Berger dark chocolate bars, garlic & onion pistachios, biscotti,
and some chamomile tea.

Breakfast this morning was egg bagels (a sandwich DH and his roommates
invented in college: a fried beaten egg, doused with Maggi seasoning, topped
with a slice of American cheese, and put between two halves of a toasted
bagel), fresh fruit, coffee, and juice. For dinner, I'm making calzones with
marinara on the side, Caesar salad, and key lime pie for dessert.

Happy Father's Day to all the dads in here!

Mary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

My tasty marinated flank steak with a grill full of
vegetables. Sun tea made in my new bale jar. Or,
bail jar. Need to use more tea bags next time.

Happy Father's Day, all you Dads.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mary wrote:

> Scharffen Berger dark chocolate bars, garlic & onion pistachios

Are you in Northern California by chance? There's a pistachio farm in my
neck of the woods (I think it's named "Fiddyment Farms" or suchlike) which
makes garlic & onion pistachios, but I've never seen them anywhere else. And
the Scharffen Berger chocolateworks is only about a hundred miles away from
me.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy wrote:

> Sun tea made in my new bale jar. Or,
> bail jar. Need to use more tea bags next time.

Last summer my girlfriend (at the time) got me a Mr. Coffee iced tea maker.
I tried it out for the first time today. The iced tea is adequate, and it's
ready in just 10 minutes, but sun tea is better.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote

> Nancy wrote:
>
>> Sun tea made in my new bale jar. Or,
>> bail jar. Need to use more tea bags next time.

> Last summer my girlfriend (at the time) got me a Mr. Coffee iced tea
> maker. I tried it out for the first time today. The iced tea is adequate,
> and it's ready in just 10 minutes, but sun tea is better.

That's not an appliance I would think to buy, but I guess if
you drink a lot of tea. Sun tea is probably not as predictable
strengthwise, but I like having a big jug of it in the refrigerator
during the summer.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Both David's and my father have been gone for years now. We will have a
> cookout for outselves and think of them. We'll have grilled tandoori
> chicken, grilled corn on the cob, minted cucumber raita, and a dessert of
> goat's milk ice cream flavored with rosewater and pistachios.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬

Lost my Dad a few years ago, so Father's Day is a bit bittersweet. DH
touched base with his Dad (who is out of state) this AM. Kept busy
doing yardwork and gave one of the cats a bath (oh joy and delight).
For dinner we're giving your spareribs recipe a try...I gave some baby
backs a good rub this morning & DH is lazing on on the deck swabbing
'em with your cider vinegar/water/sugar/butter wash every now & then.
Cooking them slow and low. Starting to smell really, really good out
there!

Nancy T

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 18 Jun 2006 06:03:10p, ntantiques meant to say...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>

>> Both David's and my father have been gone for years now. We will have
>> a cookout for outselves and think of them. We'll have grilled tandoori
>> chicken, grilled corn on the cob, minted cucumber raita, and a dessert
>> of goat's milk ice cream flavored with rosewater and pistachios.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬

> Lost my Dad a few years ago, so Father's Day is a bit bittersweet. DH
> touched base with his Dad (who is out of state) this AM. Kept busy
> doing yardwork and gave one of the cats a bath (oh joy and delight).
> For dinner we're giving your spareribs recipe a try...I gave some baby
> backs a good rub this morning & DH is lazing on on the deck swabbing
> 'em with your cider vinegar/water/sugar/butter wash every now & then.
> Cooking them slow and low. Starting to smell really, really good out
> there!
>
> Nancy T

I'm sorry for your loss, Nancy. Yes, it does make the holiday a little
difficult. Keeping busy is probably a good way to get through it. <sigh>
Poor kitty! :-) I'm excited that you're doing the ribs. Please let me
know how they turned out for you and if you liked them. Have a great
meal!

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 9>,
Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> >> If I didn't know better, I'd think it was 1952!

> > And your point exactly is what? I'm a child of the 50s and 60s.

> As am I, as you well know. I think that would be a really fun meal!

OK -- I couldn't tell if you were making sport of it or not. :-) It
was well received - and since it IS Father's Day, I even made a special
small dish of beans for my picky SIL -- the boy just doesn't have an
appreciation for the Graduation Beans.

> >> What the hay are Bloomer Droppers?

> > Google for it. I've posted it here a couple times recently.

> Already did. If I had any peaches I might try it.

Rob had a couple. Improved his disposition considerably.

--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 6-15-2006; Spanish Chicken and
Rice.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 18 Jun 2006 06:42:07p, Melba's Jammin' meant to say...

>> > And your point exactly is what? I'm a child of the 50s and 60s.

>> As am I, as you well know. I think that would be a really fun meal!

> OK -- I couldn't tell if you were making sport of it or not. :-)

No, not at all. I really enjoy nostalgic meals.

> It was well received - and since it IS Father's Day, I even made a
> special small dish of beans for my picky SIL -- the boy just doesn't have
> an appreciation for the Graduation Beans.

I've never had these, but I do occasionally make Hobo Beans which shares
most of the ingredients, sans the green beans.

>> > Google for it. I've posted it here a couple times recently.

>> Already did. If I had any peaches I might try it.

> Rob had a couple. Improved his disposition considerably.

I well imagine they would. :-)

Glad it was a good day!!!

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"D.Currie" wrote:

> Anybody doing interesting food for Father's Day, or is it going to be
> grilled steaks and burgers?
>
> This is my plan:
>
> Gyros (AB's recipe, FoodTV)
> with tzatziki sauce (I wing it, no real recipe), onion, and tomato
> on home made pita bread
>
> with a side of French fries.
>
> Maybe a Greek-ish salad to go with. We'll see.
>
> For dessert, home made ice cream, strawberry or butter pecan.
>
> Possibly some miniature bundt cakes (cupcake size). I think it would look
> good with a scoop of the ice cream on top. Plain yellow cake, most likely.
> I'll think about that tomorrow. Maybe a little rum in the cakes.
>
> Maybe some little appetizer, I haven't decided that yet.
>
> --
> Donna

Well, don't know how interesting, but here it goes. Last nite I seasoned an 8
pound pork loin with crushed garlic, oregano, kosher salt, cracked pepper
corns and olive oil. Wrapped it in a double coat of cling wrap and alum foil.

Early this morning I went to BBQ Galore and got a 20 pound bag of lump wood
coal and a bag of apple tree chips for smoking the pork loin. At 12 noon, I
prepped the BBQ with the lump coal for indirect cooking - coal in front and
placed the pork loin in the back in a hand made alum pan to catch the dripping
for a sauce once the meat was done. When the pork loin reached the desired
temperature (165 degrees F), I took it off the BBQ, let it sit on my cutting
board for about 30 minutes, then sliced it, the aroma was out of this world.

In the meantime, my wife was in the kitchen working on two typical
Puertorrican staples, rice with chick peas and fried plantains. She was also
getting the ingredients for dessert ready - peach cobbler - the vanilla ice
cream was waiting in the freezer ready to be called out later that evening.
My daughters arrived around 3 pm and started on their chores, one prepared the
salads and the other worked on some of the finger foods to eat while the main
dishes were cooking. While all of this was going on, my two sons-in-law were
opening bags of ice and filling the ice chest with Heineken Premium Light.

We sat down to have supper at pool side at around 6:30 pm and must say that
everything was superb.

So the menu was:
Smoked pork loin
Rice with chick peas
Fried Plantains
Salad with dressing
Peach cobbler with vanilla ice cream
White Zinfandel wine
Heineken Premium Light and
Premium Blend Colombian Coffee

And the girls are already planning next year's Father's Day party.

Cheers,

Ray
Austin, TX
===

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> Mary wrote:
>
>> Scharffen Berger dark chocolate bars, garlic & onion pistachios

> Are you in Northern California by chance? There's a pistachio farm in my
> neck of the woods (I think it's named "Fiddyment Farms" or suchlike) which
> makes garlic & onion pistachios, but I've never seen them anywhere else.
> And the Scharffen Berger chocolateworks is only about a hundred miles away
> from me.

Nope. Houston. I picked up the pistachios and Scharffen Berger at Cost Plus.
Jalapeno pistachios were also available.

Mary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 18 Jun 2006 08:14:39p, Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman meant to
say...

> We sat down to have supper at pool side at around 6:30 pm and must say that
> everything was superb.

It sounds superb!

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> I'm sorry for your loss, Nancy. Yes, it does make the holiday a little
> difficult. Keeping busy is probably a good way to get through it. <sigh>
> Poor kitty! :-) I'm excited that you're doing the ribs. Please let me
> know how they turned out for you and if you liked them. Have a great
> meal!
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬

Have to thank you, Wayne, for one stupendously good meal...right down
to the last succulent, finger lickin' morsel. Divinely moist, tender,
tasty baby back ribs that were so good all by themselves that they
didn't need BBQ sauce.
I make up a rub that's very similar to your recipe, but hadn't gone the
basting route before...made a huge difference. The sugar in the wash
is just enough to give the ribs a nice bit of char and the basting
really keeps them from drying out. Not just a good recipe, a kick ass
great one - thanks for sharing!
Nancy T

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 18 Jun 2006 10:57:47p, ntantiques meant to say...

> Have to thank you, Wayne, for one stupendously good meal...right down
> to the last succulent, finger lickin' morsel. Divinely moist, tender,
> tasty baby back ribs that were so good all by themselves that they
> didn't need BBQ sauce.
> I make up a rub that's very similar to your recipe, but hadn't gone the
> basting route before...made a huge difference. The sugar in the wash
> is just enough to give the ribs a nice bit of char and the basting
> really keeps them from drying out. Not just a good recipe, a kick ass
> great one - thanks for sharing!
> Nancy T

I'm so glad you enjoyed the ribs so much, Nancy. That was a glowing review!
I have to credit one of my uncles for showing me the dry rub/frequent basting
technique. We've been making them this way for years. It's almost as though
the basting liquid turns the dry rub into a sauce. I do vary the rub from
time to time, but not the technique. Thanks for letting me know!

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬