Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Need recipe for refrigerator pickles

I know that I'm going to have an over-abundance in my garden of the long
English cucumbers. I'd like to make some sliced cucumber pickles, but
every recipe I have found is for large quantities of pickles. Does
anyone have a recipe that can easily be halved or quartered for small
amounts of cucumbers? I'd also like to find a recipe that is low in sugar.

Diane M
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Diane M wrote:
> I know that I'm going to have an over-abundance in my garden of the long
> English cucumbers. I'd like to make some sliced cucumber pickles, but
> every recipe I have found is for large quantities of pickles. Does
> anyone have a recipe that can easily be halved or quartered for small
> amounts of cucumbers? I'd also like to find a recipe that is low in sugar.
>
> Diane M

Ooh.. Alton Brown once did a great show on these and I always wanted to
try some. Now I can't seem to locate the recipes on the FoodTV website.
In fact, I can barely find mention of Alton. Is he still on FoodTV? I
barely watch it anymore... shame it has diminished quality shows anymore.
Anyway, see if you can do a deja search on Alton Brown and pickles. You
might find gold there.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Diane M" > wrote in message
ink.net...
>I know that I'm going to have an over-abundance in my garden of the long
>English cucumbers. I'd like to make some sliced cucumber pickles, but
>every recipe I have found is for large quantities of pickles. Does anyone
>have a recipe that can easily be halved or quartered for small amounts of
>cucumbers? I'd also like to find a recipe that is low in sugar.
>
> Diane M

http://www.recipes-to-go.co.uk/spice/recipe0499.shtml

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Diane M > wrote in
ink.net:

> I know that I'm going to have an over-abundance in my garden of the
> long English cucumbers. I'd like to make some sliced cucumber
> pickles, but every recipe I have found is for large quantities of
> pickles. Does anyone have a recipe that can easily be halved or
> quartered for small amounts of cucumbers? I'd also like to find a
> recipe that is low in sugar.
>
> Diane M

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show...976,FOOD_9956_
17108,00.html

Not all cucumber pickles, but a couple are
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 > wrote in
:

> Ooh.. Alton Brown once did a great show on these and I always wanted to
> try some. Now I can't seem to locate the recipes on the FoodTV website.

See my other post

> In fact, I can barely find mention of Alton. Is he still on FoodTV?

Yes, Good Eats is contracted for I think 2 more seasons, and AB has a show
"Feasting on Asphalt" starting soon too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" > wrote in
6.121:

> He is still on. He had an excellent show on crab the other day. I
> could not find refrigerator pickles by searching "Good Eats" or "Alton
> Brown." I did find this and it looks tasty.
>
> Firecrackers Recipe courtesy Alton Brown

Link back to the episode page for that recipe.. That is the episode he was
talkin about
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mike H" > wrote

> Goomba38 > wrote

>> In fact, I can barely find mention of Alton. Is he still on FoodTV?

> Yes, Good Eats is contracted for I think 2 more seasons, and AB has a show
> "Feasting on Asphalt" starting soon too.

I just happened to notice that there was a new Good Eats a couple
of weeks ago and I was surprised. When I say new, I mean (N) marked
in the tv listings. It was on during the evening.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in news:e721sh$s01$1
@news.monmouth.com:

> I just happened to notice that there was a new Good Eats a couple
> of weeks ago and I was surprised.

Despite the "Cult of Rachel" and "Cult of Emeril", I think that Alton is
probably one of their bigger draws. I've noticed that Emeril seems to
explain more of the whys behind what he does now and so does Rachel.
That's an element that seems to be missing from most cooking shows, other
than Good Eats and America's Test Kitchen.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mike H wrote:

> Despite the "Cult of Rachel" and "Cult of Emeril", I think that Alton is
> probably one of their bigger draws. I've noticed that Emeril seems to
> explain more of the whys behind what he does now and so does Rachel.
> That's an element that seems to be missing from most cooking shows, other
> than Good Eats and America's Test Kitchen.

I used to love to watch Tyler Florence (eye candy AND smart) as well as
Alton Brown. Rachel I can take or leave, and Emeril has always annoyed me.
Food TV just isn't worth the bother of watching anymore, IMO. I am
finding better food shows on PBS and The Travel Channel. Oh yes, and
also TBS has that gorgeous guy in Atlanta on doing that show "Home
Plate". He is very interesting, informative and down to earth.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Diane M" > wrote in message
ink.net...
>I know that I'm going to have an over-abundance in my garden of the long
>English cucumbers. I'd like to make some sliced cucumber pickles, but
>every recipe I have found is for large quantities of pickles. Does anyone
>have a recipe that can easily be halved or quartered for small amounts of
>cucumbers? I'd also like to find a recipe that is low in sugar.
>
> Diane M

this is from the www.jewishfood-list.com archives. This may be what you're
looking for...if not there are several others shown.

Harriet - MBA 2006 (finally1)

Cucumber Pickles, Refrigerator (P, TNT)
Source: My grandma
Serves: 4 to 6
4 cucumbers (Kirby prefered), sliced as thinly as possible
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1/3 cup white vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
1/3 cup water
1 red onion, sliced as thinly as possible
1 tablespoon fresh dill or 1/2 teaspoon dried dillweed

Toss the cucumbers in a colander with the salt and let drain for 1 hour.

Boil the vinegar, sugar, and water and let cool.

Drain the cucumbers, place in a bowl and add the onions and dill. Pour the
vinegar mixture over the cucumber mixture and mix well. Cool and refrigerate
for at least 1 hour.

Poster's Notes:
After experimenting here is my recipe as I remember from my grandma's table.

Posted by Elena Eder

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" > wrote

> I used to love to watch Tyler Florence (eye candy AND smart)

I used to like him too, but his controlling nature seems to have
gotten out of hand, I only watch him when he works alone.
Boil Water has become almost excrutiating for me.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Harriet Neal wrote:
> "Diane M" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
>
>>I know that I'm going to have an over-abundance in my garden of the long
>>English cucumbers. I'd like to make some sliced cucumber pickles, but
>>every recipe I have found is for large quantities of pickles. Does anyone
>>have a recipe that can easily be halved or quartered for small amounts of
>>cucumbers? I'd also like to find a recipe that is low in sugar.
>>
>>Diane M

> this is from the www.jewishfood-list.com archives. This may be what you're
> looking for...if not there are several others shown.
>
> Harriet - MBA 2006 (finally1)
>

> Cucumber Pickles, Refrigerator (P, TNT)
> Source: My grandma
> Serves: 4 to 6
> 4 cucumbers (Kirby prefered), sliced as thinly as possible
> 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
> 1/3 cup white vinegar
> 2 tablespoons sugar
> 1/3 cup water
> 1 red onion, sliced as thinly as possible
> 1 tablespoon fresh dill or 1/2 teaspoon dried dillweed
>
> Toss the cucumbers in a colander with the salt and let drain for 1 hour.
>
> Boil the vinegar, sugar, and water and let cool.
>
> Drain the cucumbers, place in a bowl and add the onions and dill. Pour the
> vinegar mixture over the cucumber mixture and mix well. Cool and refrigerate
> for at least 1 hour.
>
> Poster's Notes:
> After experimenting here is my recipe as I remember from my grandma's table.
>
> Posted by Elena Eder

Thanks. This sounds like a good one--not too sweet.

Diane
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . net>,
Diane M > wrote:

> I know that I'm going to have an over-abundance in my garden of the long
> English cucumbers. I'd like to make some sliced cucumber pickles, but
> every recipe I have found is for large quantities of pickles. Does
> anyone have a recipe that can easily be halved or quartered for small
> amounts of cucumbers? I'd also like to find a recipe that is low in sugar.
>
> Diane M

Go to the store.
Buy a jar of Claussen's pickles.

Eat the pickles, reserve the brine.

Put the fresh cucumbers in the brine, refrigerate for about 2 weeks or
so.

This works. I always save the brine from commercial pickles and re-use
it a couple of times. Works for eggs, okra, fresh small cucumbers, etc.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sat 17 Jun 2006 10:14:02p, OmManiPadmeOmelet meant to say...

> In article . net>,
> Diane M > wrote:
>
>> I know that I'm going to have an over-abundance in my garden of the
>> long English cucumbers. I'd like to make some sliced cucumber pickles,
>> but every recipe I have found is for large quantities of pickles. Does
>> anyone have a recipe that can easily be halved or quartered for small
>> amounts of cucumbers? I'd also like to find a recipe that is low in
>> sugar.
>>
>> Diane M

> Go to the store.
> Buy a jar of Claussen's pickles.
>
> Eat the pickles, reserve the brine.
>
> Put the fresh cucumbers in the brine, refrigerate for about 2 weeks or
> so.
>
> This works. I always save the brine from commercial pickles and re-use
> it a couple of times. Works for eggs, okra, fresh small cucumbers, etc.

When you re-use that brine for okra, do you pre-cook the okra at all before
putting in the brine?

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 9>,
Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh pshaw, on Sat 17 Jun 2006 10:14:02p, OmManiPadmeOmelet meant to say...
>
> > In article . net>,
> > Diane M > wrote:
> >
> >> I know that I'm going to have an over-abundance in my garden of the
> >> long English cucumbers. I'd like to make some sliced cucumber pickles,
> >> but every recipe I have found is for large quantities of pickles. Does
> >> anyone have a recipe that can easily be halved or quartered for small
> >> amounts of cucumbers? I'd also like to find a recipe that is low in
> >> sugar.
> >>
> >> Diane M

> > Go to the store.
> > Buy a jar of Claussen's pickles.
> >
> > Eat the pickles, reserve the brine.
> >
> > Put the fresh cucumbers in the brine, refrigerate for about 2 weeks or
> > so.
> >
> > This works. I always save the brine from commercial pickles and re-use
> > it a couple of times. Works for eggs, okra, fresh small cucumbers, etc.

> When you re-use that brine for okra, do you pre-cook the okra at all before
> putting in the brine?

Nope! :-)
Just give it a good rinse...
My mom really enjoyed it when I made these for her.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sat 17 Jun 2006 10:33:22p, OmManiPadmeOmelet meant to say...

> In article 9>,
> Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Oh pshaw, on Sat 17 Jun 2006 10:14:02p, OmManiPadmeOmelet meant to
>> say...

>> > Go to the store.
>> > Buy a jar of Claussen's pickles.
>> >
>> > Eat the pickles, reserve the brine.
>> >
>> > Put the fresh cucumbers in the brine, refrigerate for about 2 weeks
>> > or so.
>> >
>> > This works. I always save the brine from commercial pickles and
>> > re-use it a couple of times. Works for eggs, okra, fresh small
>> > cucumbers, etc.

>> When you re-use that brine for okra, do you pre-cook the okra at all
>> before putting in the brine?

> Nope! :-)
> Just give it a good rinse...
> My mom really enjoyed it when I made these for her.

Great! I'll make some. A local farm market has some beautiful fresh okra
right now. I've made fried okra and corn, okra, and tomato soup recently.
I love the stuff.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 9>,
Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> >> When you re-use that brine for okra, do you pre-cook the okra at all
> >> before putting in the brine?

> > Nope! :-)
> > Just give it a good rinse...
> > My mom really enjoyed it when I made these for her.

> Great! I'll make some. A local farm market has some beautiful fresh okra
> right now. I've made fried okra and corn, okra, and tomato soup recently.
> I love the stuff.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬

Enjoy! :-)

Use the small tender ones.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The actual pickle recipe is "Kinda Sorta Sours" from the same episode.
Just search on "Good Eats" and "pickle" at food network. Recipe
follows.

Kinda Sorta Sours

1/2 onion, thinly sliced
2 medium cucumbers, thinly sliced
1 cup water
1 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup champagne vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon celery seeds
1 teaspoon pickling spice
4 whole garlic cloves, smashed

Combine the onion and cucumber slices in a clean spring-top jar.
Combine the remaining ingredients, with the exception of the garlic,
in a non-reactive saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer for 4 full
minutes to wake up the spice flavors.

Add the garlic cloves to the jar. Slowly and gently pour the pickling
liquid over the onion and cucumber slices, filling to the top of the
jar.

Cool to room temperature. Top off the pickles with any remaining
pickling liquid and refrigerate.

Later,

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 19:26:38 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan"

:

>> Ooh.. Alton Brown once did a great show on these and I always wanted
>> to try some. Now I can't seem to locate the recipes on the FoodTV
>> website. In fact, I can barely find mention of Alton. Is he still on
>> FoodTV? I barely watch it anymore... shame it has diminished quality
>> shows anymore. Anyway, see if you can do a deja search on Alton Brown
>> and pickles. You might find gold there.

>He is still on. He had an excellent show on crab the other day. I could
>not find refrigerator pickles by searching "Good Eats" or "Alton Brown." I
>did find this and it looks tasty.
>
>Firecrackers Recipe courtesy Alton Brown
>Show: Good Eats
>Episode: American Pickle
>
>1/2 pound mini carrots
>1 cup water
>1 cup sugar
>1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
>1 teaspoon onion powder
>1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
>1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
>1 teaspoon chili flakes
>2 dried chilies
>
>Place carrots in a spring-top glass jar. Bring the water, sugar, cider
>vinegar, onion powder, mustard seeds, salt, and chili flakes to a boil in a
>non-reactive saucepan. Boil for 4 minutes.
>Slowly pour the hot pickling liquid over the carrots, filling the jar to
>the top. Place the chilies in the jar. Allow the carrots to cool before
>sealing. Refrigerate for 2 days up to 1 week.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Diane M wrote:
> I know that I'm going to have an over-abundance in my garden of the long
> English cucumbers. I'd like to make some sliced cucumber pickles, but
> every recipe I have found is for large quantities of pickles. Does
> anyone have a recipe that can easily be halved or quartered for small
> amounts of cucumbers? I'd also like to find a recipe that is low in sugar.
>
> Diane M

These are my all time favorite pickles. Have been making them for over
50 years. I just keep replenishing the cucumbers in the jar as I use
them up.

I'm afraid they don't meet your "low sugar" request, but most pickles
are hi in sugar.

4 cups sugar
4 cups cider vinegar
1/2 cup plain salt (not sea salt)
1 1/2 tsp celery seed
1 1/2 tsp mustard seed
1 1/3 tsp turmeric

Bring all ingredients together to a boil. Cook just til the sugar is
thouroughly melted then let cool, slightly. Pour into gallon
container.

Slice enough cucumbers and onions to fill the container. Stir so all
the cucumbers and onions are covered.

Place in refrigerator. The pickles will be ready to eat in a couple
days. They keep indefinetly IN THE FRIG.

Raw cauliflower flowerettes may be added. You can add fresh veggies to
the liquid as you use up the original ones.

PS...I usually pack the veggies in quart jars and pour the hot liquid
over. That way, I have jars to share.

jillie
Roseville, CA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jillie" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> 4 cups sugar
> 4 cups cider vinegar
> 1/2 cup plain salt (not sea salt)
> 1 1/2 tsp celery seed
> 1 1/2 tsp mustard seed
> 1 1/3 tsp turmeric
>
> Bring all ingredients together to a boil. Cook just til the
> sugar is
> thouroughly melted then let cool, slightly. Pour into gallon
> container.

Is the boiling really necessary, when you are going to
refrigerate the pickles? I make pickled cucumbers and onions,
just mixing the ingredients without heating, and then
refrigerating. I've never had a problem with them.

--
barry in indy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

barry in indy wrote:
> "jillie" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >
> > 4 cups sugar
> > 4 cups cider vinegar
> > 1/2 cup plain salt (not sea salt)
> > 1 1/2 tsp celery seed
> > 1 1/2 tsp mustard seed
> > 1 1/3 tsp turmeric
> >
> > Bring all ingredients together to a boil. Cook just til the
> > sugar is
> > thouroughly melted then let cool, slightly. Pour into gallon
> > container.
> >

> Is the boiling really necessary, when you are going to
> refrigerate the pickles? I make pickled cucumbers and onions,
> just mixing the ingredients without heating, and then
> refrigerating. I've never had a problem with them.
>
> --
> barry in indy

The only reason to boil is to blend the ingredients. If you don't, the
sugar just goes to the bottom of the jar.

Remember, these are not just a pickled cucumber to serve immediatly.
They will keep for months in the frig.

jillie
Roseville, CA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jillie" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> barry in indy wrote:
>>
>> Is the boiling really necessary, when you are going to
>> refrigerate the pickles? I make pickled cucumbers and onions,
>> just mixing the ingredients without heating, and then
>> refrigerating. I've never had a problem with them.
>>

> The only reason to boil is to blend the ingredients. If you
> don't, the
> sugar just goes to the bottom of the jar.
>
> Remember, these are not just a pickled cucumber to serve
> immediatly.
> They will keep for months in the frig.

I sometimes use sugar, and it will eventually dissolve; it just
takes a little longer. I give the jar a shake every so often.

--
barry in indy