Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default food for thought

I haven't heard of this happening, but maybe someone else has.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...UG3KJDKLC1.DTL
or
http://tinyurl.com/j76dk
--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> I haven't heard of this happening, but maybe someone else has.
>
> http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...UG3KJDKLC1.DTL
> or
> http://tinyurl.com/j76dk

Honest folks needn't be concerned.

"ChargeBack Bureau could be engaging in an unfair business practice
under state law. "The purpose of this looks to be to prevent people
from using [abusing] their legal rights," she said. "

Hmm, don't they mean *abusing*?

No legitimate company is going to blacklist any customer who
*occasionally* makes returns (for whatever reason), otherwise they'd
all be out of business.

But people who make purchases knowing full well in advance that they
are only going to use the merchandise once or twice and then return it
are a big problem, especially for those of us honest consumers, they
raise costs same as shoplifters. Retailers have rights too, they need
to protect themselves and their honest customers from the thieves.
Individual businesses have always kept a list of the deadbeats and scam
artists (they'd be imbeciles if they didn't), maintaining a national
chargeback list is a great idea. And remember, credit is a privilege,
not a right... credit cards can be revoked at any time, so can credit
purchases be denied... no business is required to extend anyone credit.

This is especially good news for the restaurant business. Restaurants
accept credit cards as a convenience, but they are not required to.
Restaurants get stiffed often by the douchebags who order expensive
meals, pay with plastic, and then send off a dispute note to the credit
card company (in large cities the meal scammers can eat out often for
many years and never pay) . But don't think the credit card companies
don't keep tabs an those who regularly dispute payment, at some point
they'll revoke the card, and they already have been notifiying other
card companies of these scum.... a list of credit disputes comes up on
credit check reports.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> I haven't heard of this happening, but maybe someone else has.
>
> http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...UG3KJDKLC1.DTL
> or
> http://tinyurl.com/j76dk

I don't see the problem. They didn't say they want to take away the
ability to chargeback as the article implies but establish a rating
system to spot offenders. I don't even see why the typical chargeback
items they cite would even require a chargeback. Such as you order a red
one and get a blue one. Wouldn't you just notify the merchant?

I know a few people who are proud of themselves for scamming merchants.
Such people would get on the list and be treated accordingly. We all pay
if they don't.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in
oups.com:

> sf wrote:
>> I haven't heard of this happening, but maybe someone else has.
>>
>> http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?

f=/c/a/2006/06/14/BUG3KJDKLC
>> 1.DTL or
>> http://tinyurl.com/j76dk

> Honest folks needn't be concerned.
>
> "ChargeBack Bureau could be engaging in an unfair business practice
> under state law. "The purpose of this looks to be to prevent people
> from using [abusing] their legal rights," she said. "
>
> Hmm, don't they mean *abusing*?
>
> No legitimate company is going to blacklist any customer who
> *occasionally* makes returns (for whatever reason), otherwise they'd
> all be out of business.
>
> But people who make purchases knowing full well in advance that they
> are only going to use the merchandise once or twice and then return it
> are a big problem, especially for those of us honest consumers, they
> raise costs same as shoplifters. Retailers have rights too, they need
> to protect themselves and their honest customers from the thieves.
> Individual businesses have always kept a list of the deadbeats and
> scam artists (they'd be imbeciles if they didn't), maintaining a
> national chargeback list is a great idea. And remember, credit is a
> privilege, not a right... credit cards can be revoked at any time, so
> can credit purchases be denied... no business is required to extend
> anyone credit.
>
> This is especially good news for the restaurant business. Restaurants
> accept credit cards as a convenience, but they are not required to.
> Restaurants get stiffed often by the douchebags who order expensive
> meals, pay with plastic, and then send off a dispute note to the
> credit card company (in large cities the meal scammers can eat out
> often for many years and never pay) . But don't think the credit
> card companies don't keep tabs an those who regularly dispute payment,
> at some point they'll revoke the card, and they already have been
> notifiying other card companies of these scum.... a list of credit
> disputes comes up on credit check reports.
>
> Sheldon

You missed a few minor details!

The fact that the company is based in Panama, protected from U.S.
regulations doesn't bother you? A bogus contact phone number? P.O. Box
only address? Owner name disputes? Not replying to U.S. investigative e-
mail enquiries?

It's the first "offshore" junk credit rating system for subscribing
companies to abuse that I've ever heard of.

You're OK with that, I'm not.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-06-14, Andy <q> wrote:

> The fact that the company is based in Panama, protected from U.S.
> regulations doesn't bother you? A bogus contact phone number? P.O. Box
> only address? Owner name disputes? Not replying to U.S. investigative e-
> mail enquiries?

Do I smell email addy harvesting?

> It's the first "offshore" junk credit rating system for subscribing
> companies to abuse that I've ever heard of.

.....today!!

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob > wrote in
:

> On 2006-06-14, Andy <q> wrote:
>
>> The fact that the company is based in Panama, protected from U.S.
>> regulations doesn't bother you? A bogus contact phone number? P.O.

Box
>> only address? Owner name disputes? Not replying to U.S. investigative

e-
>> mail enquiries?

> Do I smell email addy harvesting?
>
>> It's the first "offshore" junk credit rating system for subscribing
>> companies to abuse that I've ever heard of.

> ....today!!
>
> nb

nb,

http://chargebackbureau.org/

"because the customer is not always right"

UNBELIEVABLE.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> http://chargebackbureau.org/
>
> "because the customer is not always right"
>
> UNBELIEVABLE.
>
> Andy

Unfortunately things like this are necessary because of the certain
percentage of people who scam merchants that we all pay for.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George > wrote in
:

> Andy wrote:
>

>> http://chargebackbureau.org/
>>
>> "because the customer is not always right"
>>
>> UNBELIEVABLE.
>>
>> Andy

> Unfortunately things like this are necessary because of the certain
> percentage of people who scam merchants that we all pay for.

But that's the credit card issuer's problem now isn't it?!!! After a few
too many cancelled charges pile up they will simply cancel your card and
be rid of you. They grow tired of being the imbetween party real fast!

You trust a company in Panama to do a better job???

GIMMEABREAK!

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

>>Unfortunately things like this are necessary because of the certain
>>percentage of people who scam merchants that we all pay for.

> But that's the credit card issuer's problem now isn't it?!!! After a few
> too many cancelled charges pile up they will simply cancel your card and
> be rid of you. They grow tired of being the imbetween party real fast!
>
> You trust a company in Panama to do a better job???
>
> GIMMEABREAK!
>
> Andy

I can see where you are going about Panama and not saying its a good thing
but outfits in India and the Phillipines for example have access to all
of our
information now.

It can't work without a central database though. Say you scam a bunch of
merchants and have a Citicard and they dump you. You could sinply go to
the next bank, get a new CC and keep on scamming.

You may not realize it but scamming merchants is a big problem and I can
understand why they would try to limit it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote:
> Andy wrote:
>
>>> Unfortunately things like this are necessary because of the certain
>>> percentage of people who scam merchants that we all pay for.

>> But that's the credit card issuer's problem now isn't it?!!! After a
>> few too many cancelled charges pile up they will simply cancel your
>> card and be rid of you. They grow tired of being the imbetween party
>> real fast!
>>
>> You trust a company in Panama to do a better job???
>>
>> GIMMEABREAK!
>>
>> Andy
>>

> I can see where you are going about Panama and not saying its a good
> thing but outfits in India and the Phillipines for example have
> access to all of our
> information now.

The problem is, the phone number listed by the company is bogus. You can't
contact this alleged Panamanian company if you want to talk to someone.
That, in itself, makes the whole thing suspect. I'd expect to start getting
emails from some poor widow in Panama who will share her husband's million
dollar estate if you will only give her your bank account information...
then she'll move to Nigeria!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon > wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > I haven't heard of this happening, but maybe someone else has.
> >
> > http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...UG3KJDKLC1.DTL
> > or
> > http://tinyurl.com/j76dk

> Honest folks needn't be concerned.

> chargeback list is a great idea. And remember, credit is a privilege,
> not a right... credit cards can be revoked at any time, so can credit
> purchases be denied... no business is required to extend anyone credit.

While credit card companies can, and will, revoke credit cards if
somebody makes too big a habit of demanding chargebacks, the merchant
agreements say the merchant must accept all credit cards of the
particular type (e.g.Visa, Mastercard) if they accept any. The merchant
is not allowed to refuse one person's Visa card while accepting others'
unless the transaction gets refused by the credit card company. Though
I suppose it is unlikely a scammer would complain to the credit card
company.

A merchant could get around it by refusing the customer entirely. Not even
accepting cash from that person.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

Food for Thought Don Roberto Diabetic 0 03-07-2013 01:49 PM
FOOD FOR THOUGHT Wily Coyote General Cooking 0 10-06-2012 12:45 PM
Food For Thought neha123 General Cooking 0 12-07-2010 06:48 AM
Food for Thought [email protected] General Cooking 0 14-12-2005 05:25 PM
food for thought maybe LYNNE PEDERSEN General Cooking 2 15-09-2005 11:19 PM