Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Anyone have a really good Manhattan Clam Chowder Recipie?

Hi---
I would like to find out your very favorite way of making Manhattan Clam
Chowder.
I could google, but that doesn't tell me the best way to make it taste real
"clammy" and great firmness to the potato cubes.

Being Diabetic, I can't have the starchy New England type anymore (Darn--I
love it).

So, Manhattan Style it's gotta be, but I'm hoping for a recipie that gives
me all the great flavors.

Thanks---
Ron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ron-
Here's one I found on the net not long ago. I've made it, and it is
really nice.

It is done in the crock-pot and is healthy, low-fat, easy. If you
don't have a crock pot, I'm certain it would work in a regular pot as
well.

Manhattan Clam Chowder

1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
2 or 3 medium potatoes, chopped
1 tbsp. parsley
28oz can diced tomatoes
2 small cans of clams, undrained
2 whole peppercorns
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. thyme

Put all ingredients in crock-pot, stir to mix, and cook on low for
8-10 hours, or high for 3-5 hours.

Enjoy!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ron Gould" > wrote:
> Hi---
> I would like to find out your very favorite way of making Manhattan Clam
> Chowder.
> I could google, but that doesn't tell me the best way to make it taste
> real
> "clammy" and great firmness to the potato cubes.
>
> Being Diabetic, I can't have the starchy New England type anymore (Darn--I
> love it).
>
> So, Manhattan Style it's gotta be, but I'm hoping for a recipie that gives
> me all the great flavors.

There's a really good recipe for it in the Joy of Cooking cookbook (at least
in the slightly older editions). In addition to the clams and tomatoes, the
other essential flavor elements are salt pork, onion, and green pepper.

Some of the keys to firm potatoes is to use "boiling" or standard white
potatoes (at one time or another known as Maine or Long Island potatoes).
Russet/Idaho or even the more recent Yukon Golds tend to disintegrate rather
easily. The other thing is not to cook too long after the potatoes are
added, perhaps 20 minutes after? In the Joy of Cooking recipe, the soup is
done when the potatoes are cooked but still firm.

When I make this recipe, I use the big honkin' chowder clams. They are a bit
more work, but are cheaper and have a more interesting flavor. I steam them
first, then separate the hard and soft parts for use as specified in the
recipe. The liquid from the steaming becomes the base for the soup.

In addition to being careful with the potatoes so they are not overdone, the
cracklings from the salt pork go in at the last minute, helping retain their
texture.

--
( #wff_ng_7# at #verizon# period #net# )

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ron Gould > wrote:

>Being Diabetic, I can't have the starchy New England type anymore (Darn--I
>love it).

>So, Manhattan Style it's gotta be, but I'm hoping for a recipie that gives
>me all the great flavors.

New England clam chowder should not be startchy because it
should not include flour. It should include butter and/or cream
and/or half-and-half to make it (somewhat) thick.

If you substitute tomato soup for the cream component,
you can turn any New-England style recipe into a Manhattan
style recipe. I use Imagine Organic Creamy Tomato Soup,
which is non-dairy. Other boxed tomato soups work, but
read the ingredients. You add the soup last, right before
serving, after having separately warmed it and in not
too high a proportion -- around one-sixth the volume
of the rest of the chowder.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wff_ng_7 > wrote:

>There's a really good recipe for it in the Joy of Cooking cookbook (at least
>in the slightly older editions). In addition to the clams and tomatoes, the
>other essential flavor elements are salt pork, onion, and green pepper.
>
>Some of the keys to firm potatoes is to use "boiling" or standard white
>potatoes (at one time or another known as Maine or Long Island potatoes).
>Russet/Idaho or even the more recent Yukon Golds tend to disintegrate rather
>easily. The other thing is not to cook too long after the potatoes are
>added, perhaps 20 minutes after? In the Joy of Cooking recipe, the soup is
>done when the potatoes are cooked but still firm.

Good suggestion on the boiling potatoes.

I'm at sea level, and potatoes are cooked after seven minutes
of boiling. I cannot immediately imagine a chowder needing or
benefitting from hours of slow cooking. A chowder, for me,
should be on the fresh-tasting side, with texture from the
potatoes and celery. I also like seasoning them with red
pepper, black pepper, white pepper, the barest amout of cumin, and
Bay Seasoning. (But I'm usually making an oyster chowder,
not a clam chowder.)

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ron Gould wrote:

> Hi---
> I would like to find out your very favorite way of making Manhattan Clam
> Chowder.
> I could google, but that doesn't tell me the best way to make it taste real
> "clammy" and great firmness to the potato cubes.
>
> Being Diabetic, I can't have the starchy New England type anymore (Darn--I
> love it).
>
> So, Manhattan Style it's gotta be, but I'm hoping for a recipie that gives
> me all the great flavors.
>
> Thanks---
> Ron

How about the Rhode Island (clear broth) style? Much better than that
nasty Manhattan attempt at chowder.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote on 11 Jun 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> New England clam chowder should not be startchy because it
> should not include flour. It should include butter and/or cream
> and/or half-and-half to make it (somewhat) thick.

The amount of potatoes is what makes NE Clam chowder not diabetic freindly.
Potatoes are high in starch (another word for carbs) hence NE Chowder is
starchy.

Perhaps you meant not starchy as in taste?

Another consideration: quite a few NE Clam Chowder recipes along with the
spuds also contain corn kernels another starchy food (as in high carb).

I used to make a killer NE clam chowder...Instant potato flakes were used
to aid the cream in thickening (also not allowed for carb watching
diabetics)...

--
-Alan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr Libido Incognito > wrote:

>Steve Pope wrote on 11 Jun 2006 in rec.food.cooking

>> New England clam chowder should not be startchy because it
>> should not include flour. It should include butter and/or cream
>> and/or half-and-half to make it (somewhat) thick.

>The amount of potatoes is what makes NE Clam chowder not diabetic freindly.
>Potatoes are high in starch (another word for carbs) hence NE Chowder is
>starchy.

>Perhaps you meant not starchy as in taste?

Yes, I was thinking of of too-starchy in terms of added flour,
but you're right that potatoes (as well as carrots, or tomatos)
contain carbs.

Without potatoes i'ts not chowder, but probably a low carb
clam soup can be done.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

A GOOD Manhattan chowder recipe? Take any standard Manhattan recipe,
remove the tomatoes, and replace with cream.

Tomatoes belong nowhere near good chowder. Blasphemer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:

> Mr Libido Incognito > wrote:
>
> >Steve Pope wrote on 11 Jun 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> >> New England clam chowder should not be startchy because it
> >> should not include flour. It should include butter and/or cream
> >> and/or half-and-half to make it (somewhat) thick.

> >The amount of potatoes is what makes NE Clam chowder not diabetic freindly.
> >Potatoes are high in starch (another word for carbs) hence NE Chowder is
> >starchy.

> >Perhaps you meant not starchy as in taste?

> Yes, I was thinking of of too-starchy in terms of added flour,
> but you're right that potatoes (as well as carrots, or tomatos)
> contain carbs.
>
> Without potatoes i'ts not chowder, but probably a low carb
> clam soup can be done.
>
> Steve

Wonder if there is a diabetic friendly vegetable that would make a
passable substitute for potatoes?

Pete C.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Pete C." > wrote:

> Steve Pope wrote:
> >
> > Mr Libido Incognito > wrote:
> >
> > >Steve Pope wrote on 11 Jun 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> > >The amount of potatoes is what makes NE Clam chowder not diabetic freindly.
> > >Potatoes are high in starch (another word for carbs) hence NE Chowder is
> > >starchy.

> > >Perhaps you meant not starchy as in taste?

> > Yes, I was thinking of of too-starchy in terms of added flour,
> > but you're right that potatoes (as well as carrots, or tomatos)
> > contain carbs.
> >
> > Without potatoes i'ts not chowder, but probably a low carb
> > clam soup can be done.
> >
> > Steve

> Wonder if there is a diabetic friendly vegetable that would make a
> passable substitute for potatoes?
>
> Pete C.

Well, the taste and texture would be rather different (and I would
_not_ call it chowder), but you might consider celery root.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 00:03:48 +0000 (UTC), Steve Pope wrote:

> If you substitute tomato soup for the cream component,
> you can turn any New-England style recipe into a Manhattan
> style recipe.

I've made Manhattan chowder in the past. You're right, it's the same
as New-England - except it's tomato based.... I like using a spicey
tomato juice, like Snappy Tom.
--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ron Gould wrote:
> Hi---
> I would like to find out your very favorite way of making Manhattan Clam
> Chowder.
> I could google, but that doesn't tell me the best way to make it taste real
> "clammy" and great firmness to the potato cubes.
>
> Being Diabetic, I can't have the starchy New England type anymore (Darn--I
> love it).
>
> So, Manhattan Style it's gotta be, but I'm hoping for a recipie that gives
> me all the great flavors.
>
> Thanks---
> Ron

Since no one wants to post a recipe, here's a fish stew recipe of mine
that you should be able to modify to make clam chowder. Mainly, use
clams instead of the fish and add a bottle of clam juice. I can't
remember if clam chowder is supposed to have a little bacon or salt pork
in it, but how could that not be good? Add a sliced carrot if you like
carrots. Etc.

Use largish red potatoes. Your potatoes fell apart because you used
Russets.

_Bob's Whitefish, Tomato, and Potato Stew_

1 (15 oz) can sliced stewed tomatoes (or diced Italian style tomatoes)
2 tomato cans of water
2 chicken bouillon cubes
2 bay leaves
generous pinch of thyme
1/2 medium white or yellow onion, chopped
1 or 2 ribs of celery, thinly sliced
3 or 4 waxy potatoes, peeled and diced small
1 sliced fresh jalapeño (optional)
4 or 5 frozen whitefish fillets
pinch of basil or marjoram
black pepper, to taste
red pepper flakes, if you didn't use the jalapeño

Put tomatoes, water, bouillon, thyme, bayleaves, and vegetables in large
saucepan. Cook uncovered until potatoes are soft. Stir vigorously so
potatoes will shed a little starch and thicken the broth. Chop the
frozen fillets into large pieces and add to the pot, along with basil or
marjoram. Cook over medium heat until the fish is flaky, and stir to
break up the fish a little. Adjust seasonings with salt, black pepper,
and maybe a pinch of sugar or dash of worchestershire sauce.

Notes: I didn't peel the potatoes on the first batch and that was a
mistake; they cooked off of the potatoes and were unpleasant in the soup.

--
Best regards,
Bob