Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Turkey breast

I don't know why, I never think of buying one, seems like
it would be a very useful roast to make. Easy, too. I don't
see anyone here mentioning them either. Just idle curiosity,
they have them 2 for 1 this week, I thought I would pick up
a couple and freeze one, seems like a lot of good leftovers
type of food for in the neighborhood of $10 apiece ... any
thoughts?

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in news:e5ssad$bbs$1
@news.monmouth.com:

> I don't know why, I never think of buying one, seems like
> it would be a very useful roast to make. Easy, too. I don't
> see anyone here mentioning them either. Just idle curiosity,
> they have them 2 for 1 this week, I thought I would pick up
> a couple and freeze one, seems like a lot of good leftovers
> type of food for in the neighborhood of $10 apiece ... any
> thoughts?
>
> nancy

nancy,

I've never seen fresh turkey that wasn't packaged ground. The whole
frozen turkey breast are hidden away somewhere at my market. I've made
the frozen Jenny-O turkey breast in the oven ready bag. Can't
complain/brag about it.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> "Nancy Young" > wrote in news:e5ssad$bbs$1
> @news.monmouth.com:
>
>> I don't know why, I never think of buying one, seems like
>> it would be a very useful roast to make. Easy, too. I don't
>> see anyone here mentioning them either. Just idle curiosity,
>> they have them 2 for 1 this week, I thought I would pick up
>> a couple and freeze one, seems like a lot of good leftovers
>> type of food for in the neighborhood of $10 apiece ... any
>> thoughts?
>>
>> nancy

Its ok, if you like white turkey meat.

I found it to be quite dry though. Perhaps I didn't have a good marinate to
moiston it.

Elaine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 3 Jun 2006 16:43:54 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>I don't know why, I never think of buying one, seems like
>it would be a very useful roast to make. Easy, too. I don't
>see anyone here mentioning them either. Just idle curiosity,
>they have them 2 for 1 this week, I thought I would pick up
>a couple and freeze one, seems like a lot of good leftovers
>type of food for in the neighborhood of $10 apiece ... any
>thoughts?
>
>nancy

I thought you were going to tell us how you cooked it in your new
stove! Congratulations, BTW and I hope we do hear about some great
things from it. Darth sends his regards too.

Turkey breast... Just as versatile as you would expect. Here's a
recipe I made for a cook-in years ago, substituting turkey breast for
veal:

from http://users.rcn.com/sue.interport/rfc/sue.html

COLD ROAST LOIN OF VEAL WITH ROSEMARY AND BALSAMIC GLAZE
(from: New York Magazine, 5/26/97, recipes by Charlie Palmer)

3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup ketchup
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
Salt to taste
2.5 -pound well-trimmed boneless veal loin (I used a turkey breast)

Combine vinegar, oil, ketchup, Worcestershire, rosemary; pepper, and
salt in a small bowl. Whisk together until well blended. Place the
veal in a deep baking dish and pour the marinade over the top. Turn to
coat well. Cover and allow to marinate for 2 hours, turning
occasionally.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Place the veal loin with the marinade in the oven and roast, turning
occasionally, for 45 minutes or until instant-read thermometer
inserted into center reads 145 degrees (for medium). Remove from oven
and allow to come to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate until
ready to use.

When ready to serve, cut crosswise, into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Place
down the center of a platter, garnish with preserved tomatoes, and
serve with roasted-garlic aioli (recipes below).

See notes below.

ROASTED-GARLIC AIOLl

2 small heads garlic
1/4 cup defatted, unsalted chicken stock
1 tablespoon canola oil
Salt to taste
1-1/2 cup mayonnaise
Pinch cayenne pepper

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Place the garlic, root side down, into a baking dish small enough to
hold it snugly. Add stock to a depth of 1/2 inch. Drizzle with oil and
sprinkle with salt to taste. Cover tightly with foil and bake for
about 1 hour or until garlic is soft, adding additional liquid if
needed. Remove from oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Cut off the
top of each head. Squeeze out cooked garlic and place in a blender
with mayonnaise, salt, and cayenne. Blend at medium speed till mixed,
Refrigerate in a covered container until needed.

Notes: I used a turkey breast instead of veal. Cooking time needs to
be adjusted accordingly. I used a ziplock bag for the marination. I
cut the recipe for the aioli in half and it was plenty; I used
Hellman's mayonnaise and thinned the aioli with milk.

Sue(tm)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
>I don't know why, I never think of buying one, seems like
> it would be a very useful roast to make. Easy, too. I don't
> see anyone here mentioning them either. Just idle curiosity,
> they have them 2 for 1 this week, I thought I would pick up
> a couple and freeze one, seems like a lot of good leftovers
> type of food for in the neighborhood of $10 apiece ... any
> thoughts?
>
> nancy

I roast it w/ potato, carrot, onion and celery. I put the veggies on the
bottom, add the turkey breast and season. Cover w/ a tight lid or foil.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> I don't know why, I never think of buying one, seems like
>> it would be a very useful roast to make. Easy, too. I don't
>> see anyone here mentioning them either. Just idle curiosity,
>> they have them 2 for 1 this week, I thought I would pick up
>> a couple and freeze one, seems like a lot of good leftovers
>> type of food for in the neighborhood of $10 apiece ... any
>> thoughts?

> I've never seen fresh turkey that wasn't packaged ground. The whole
> frozen turkey breast are hidden away somewhere at my market. I've made
> the frozen Jenny-O turkey breast in the oven ready bag. Can't
> complain/brag about it.

Occurred to me, you shop at Acme? They have Shady Farms
buy one get one free this week, so you'd probably find them.
Two is a lot of food, though. I was surprised to see they were
in the neighborhood of $20 each. I'll probably go for it, why
not. Thanks for the note.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"elaine" > wrote

>> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>>> a couple and freeze one, seems like a lot of good leftovers
>>> type of food for in the neighborhood of $10 apiece ... any
>>> thoughts?

> Its ok, if you like white turkey meat.
>
> I found it to be quite dry though. Perhaps I didn't have a good marinate
> to moiston it.

Gotcha. Yeah, when I make a turkey, I prefer dark meat,
that's for sure. But, I do love turkey sandwiches with the white
meat, that's why I was thinking it's good leftovers. Thanks.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Curly Sue" > wrote

> On Sat, 3 Jun 2006 16:43:54 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
> wrote:
>
>>I don't know why, I never think of buying one, seems like
>>it would be a very useful roast to make. Easy, too. I don't
>>see anyone here mentioning them either.

> I thought you were going to tell us how you cooked it in your new
> stove! Congratulations, BTW and I hope we do hear about some great
> things from it. Darth sends his regards too.

(laugh) Thanks, Darth. It could have been, I haven't made
anything in the oven yet. Not even boiled a pot of water on the
stove. It's so humid here today, and pouring, cooking didn't cross
my mind.

But ... used the warming drawer to heat up something called a
crumb danish. Apple. Could turn out to be useful, that warming
drawer.

> Turkey breast... Just as versatile as you would expect. Here's a
> recipe I made for a cook-in years ago, substituting turkey breast for
> veal:
>
> from http://users.rcn.com/sue.interport/rfc/sue.html

I love the looks of that recipe, thanks so much! Perfect.
And I have everything, all I need is the turkey. This week.
Appreciate it.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in news:e5t2s4$eg9$1
@news.monmouth.com:

>> I've never seen fresh turkey that wasn't packaged ground. The whole
>> frozen turkey breast are hidden away somewhere at my market. I've made
>> the frozen Jenny-O turkey breast in the oven ready bag. Can't
>> complain/brag about it.

> Occurred to me, you shop at Acme? They have Shady Farms
> buy one get one free this week, so you'd probably find them.
> Two is a lot of food, though. I was surprised to see they were
> in the neighborhood of $20 each. I'll probably go for it, why
> not. Thanks for the note.
>
> nancy

nancy,

Yes... ACME it is, but, darlin', you're over on the other side o' the
Delaware river. The online www.acmemarkets.com differ, something akin to
the Mason/Dixon line just minutes away.

I checked the PA ACME online and shady farms isn't available. Dammit
woman, that's twice bad advice. Where did you send me last... whole foods
for some kinda/sorta bread?!?!

<PINCH>

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Knit Chic wrote:

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
>
>>I don't know why, I never think of buying one, seems like
>>it would be a very useful roast to make. Easy, too. I don't
>>see anyone here mentioning them either. Just idle curiosity,
>>they have them 2 for 1 this week, I thought I would pick up
>>a couple and freeze one, seems like a lot of good leftovers
>>type of food for in the neighborhood of $10 apiece ... any
>>thoughts?
>>
>>nancy

> I roast it w/ potato, carrot, onion and celery. I put the veggies on the
> bottom, add the turkey breast and season. Cover w/ a tight lid or foil.

Braising with veggies is nice also, i often braise, it is one of my
favourite cooking techniques (don't get me started on chicken fried
steak!) the wonderful braising liquid is ambrosial. The breast could
even be lightly browned on top of the stove before it is set to braise
in the oven.

A boneless half breast of turkey can be stuffed with a bread & prawn
stuffing and braised in or roasted with white wine to marvellous results.
---
JL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in news:e5t6jm$g5i$1
@news.monmouth.com:

> Hey! Well, I can't very well mail you bread, can I? Or
> turkey breast. You need to move.
>
> nancy

nancy,

I've been thinkin' about it but definitely not to New Jersey! Nice place to
visit, though.

All the best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> "elaine" > wrote
>
> >> "Nancy Young" > wrote

> > Its ok, if you like white turkey meat.
> >
> > I found it to be quite dry though. Perhaps I didn't have a good

marinate
> > to moiston it.

> Gotcha. Yeah, when I make a turkey, I prefer dark meat,
> that's for sure. But, I do love turkey sandwiches with the white
> meat, that's why I was thinking it's good leftovers. Thanks.
>
> nancy

Yep, Elaine is right, Nancy. We just had 1/2 turkeys on sale, here in FL
and my hubby picked one up because it was so cheap. We both like dark meat
and there was very little on it, duh, that was a no brainer anyway. BUT
because the breast was exposed, the meat was mealy, tough and dry. If you
want it for soup or something, go for it, but for a sandwich, it wasn't
worth it.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in news:e5t6jm$g5i$1
> @news.monmouth.com:
>
>> Hey! Well, I can't very well mail you bread, can I? Or
>> turkey breast. You need to move.

> I've been thinkin' about it but definitely not to New Jersey! Nice place
> visit, though.

Heh, that's funny, and I've been thinking of moving to PA.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Nancy Young wrote:
> I don't know why, I never think of buying one, seems like
> it would be a very useful roast to make. [snip]

When I roast a whole holiday turkey the breast meat ends up in
sandwiches, turkey pot pie or tetrazzini, and fried rice. When first
carved off the bird it's only good as a vehicle for gravy, imho. Maybe
also for inducing sleep. Whatever the bargain price I'm going to
continue ignoring turkey breast. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote on June 3, 2006:

> I don't know why, I never think of buying one...

I have the same experience all the time. They seem like they'd be
reasonably nutritious, low calorie, low fat, low price, etc., but I
can't think of
how I'd prepare them. They seem like they'd be dry and uninteresting.
I've
thought about them as sandwich meat, but then it seems like you'd want
a lot of mayonnaise, which seems to defeat the purpose.

Curly Sue's recipe suggestion later in the thread looks worthy of a try.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I don't know why, I never think of buying one, seems like
> it would be a very useful roast to make. Easy, too. I don't
> see anyone here mentioning them either. Just idle curiosity,
> they have them 2 for 1 this week, I thought I would pick up
> a couple and freeze one, seems like a lot of good leftovers
> type of food for in the neighborhood of $10 apiece ... any
> thoughts?
>
> nancy

Hmmm... I use to buy them fairly frequently when they were commonly on sale
for $.99/lb. I treated it like a mini-turkey. Turn it breast side down and
stuff it with whatever dressing you prefer, then truss it shut. Roast at
350 degrees (breast side up) until an instant read thermometer reads 160
degrees. Should be nice and moist and not overcooked.

Chris in Pearland, TX

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> I haven't made
> anything in the oven yet. Not even boiled a pot of water on the
> stove. It's so humid here today, and pouring, cooking didn't cross
> my mind.
>
> But ... used the warming drawer to heat up something called a
> crumb danish. Apple. Could turn out to be useful, that warming
> drawer.

LOL Now that is funny!

Methinks if Nancy isn't careful about putting buns in her warming
drawer she's gonna have trouble squeezing her buns into her drawers.
<G>

Sheldon Streusel

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:

>> But ... used the warming drawer to heat up something called a
>> crumb danish. Apple. Could turn out to be useful, that warming
>> drawer.

> LOL Now that is funny!
>
> Methinks if Nancy isn't careful about putting buns in her warming
> drawer she's gonna have trouble squeezing her buns into her drawers.
> <G>
>
> Sheldon Streusel

(laugh) It was good, luckily I don't live close to that place.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
>I don't know why, I never think of buying one, seems like
> it would be a very useful roast to make. Easy, too. I don't
> see anyone here mentioning them either. Just idle curiosity,
> they have them 2 for 1 this week, I thought I would pick up
> a couple and freeze one, seems like a lot of good leftovers
> type of food for in the neighborhood of $10 apiece ... any
> thoughts?
>
> nancy

Nancy,
I actually made one not too long ago, when the weather was cool for a day. I had
bought it for Easter, then plans changed, so I had it in the freezer. I make them a
few times a year, because I love the leftovers. This one I did in the oven, but when
it gets too warm for that you can make them on the grill too, with indirect heat.
Very tasty and the skin gets good and crisp that way.
The one I made recently, I mixed butter with celery salt, paprika, a little sage, and
lots of white pepper and rubbed it over the skin and then stuffed some under the
skin. Layered the bottom of the pan with stalks of celery and slices of onion. Made
some very tasty gravy!

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"elaine" > wrote in message ...
> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>> "Nancy Young" > wrote in news:e5ssad$bbs$1
>> @news.monmouth.com:
>>
>>> I don't know why, I never think of buying one, seems like
>>> it would be a very useful roast to make. Easy, too. I don't
>>> see anyone here mentioning them either. Just idle curiosity,
>>> they have them 2 for 1 this week, I thought I would pick up
>>> a couple and freeze one, seems like a lot of good leftovers
>>> type of food for in the neighborhood of $10 apiece ... any
>>> thoughts?
>>>
>>> nancy

> Its ok, if you like white turkey meat.
>
> I found it to be quite dry though. Perhaps I didn't have a good marinate to
> moiston it.
>
> Elaine

Usually if it's dry, you're likely to be overcooking it.
Try brining. That way, even if you do overcook it a bit, it will still be moist.

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 3 Jun 2006 17:59:44 -0400, "elaine" > wrote:

>"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>> "Nancy Young" > wrote in news:e5ssad$bbs$1
>> @news.monmouth.com:
>>
>>> I don't know why, I never think of buying one, seems like
>>> it would be a very useful roast to make. Easy, too. I don't
>>> see anyone here mentioning them either. Just idle curiosity,
>>> they have them 2 for 1 this week, I thought I would pick up
>>> a couple and freeze one, seems like a lot of good leftovers
>>> type of food for in the neighborhood of $10 apiece ... any
>>> thoughts?
>>>
>>> nancy

>Its ok, if you like white turkey meat.
>
>I found it to be quite dry though. Perhaps I didn't have a good marinate to
>moiston it.
>
>Elaine

Try one of the Reynolds Cooking Bags.

Sue(tm)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
>I don't know why, I never think of buying one, seems like
> it would be a very useful roast to make. Easy, too. I don't
> see anyone here mentioning them either. Just idle curiosity,
> they have them 2 for 1 this week, I thought I would pick up
> a couple and freeze one, seems like a lot of good leftovers
> type of food for in the neighborhood of $10 apiece ... any
> thoughts?
>
> nancy

I've never done it, but have wondered if a turkey breast could be poached
successfully? Anyone try this?
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:
> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
>
>>I don't know why, I never think of buying one, seems like
>>it would be a very useful roast to make. Easy, too. I don't
>>see anyone here mentioning them either. Just idle curiosity,
>>they have them 2 for 1 this week, I thought I would pick up
>>a couple and freeze one, seems like a lot of good leftovers
>>type of food for in the neighborhood of $10 apiece ... any
>>thoughts?
>>
>>nancy

> I've never done it, but have wondered if a turkey breast could be poached
> successfully? Anyone try this?
> Janet

Poach? after a bit of browning, for a boneless, skinless 1/2 breast?
sure, though i would prefer to use a whole breast with skin and bone and
braise it with appropriate veggies.

Stuffing a half breast and baking it with plenty of basting or a flour
or salt case is also very good. Some recipes for a piece of meat cooked
in a flour or salt case call for a small hole being heft in the top of
the casing so a bit of wine or other liquor may be poured in shortly
before (maybe 10 minuets) the meat is done cooking.
---
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In rec.food.cooking, elaine > wrote:
> Its ok, if you like white turkey meat.

> I found it to be quite dry though. Perhaps I didn't have a good marinate to
> moiston it.

Perhaps you overcook it?

--
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.
--Edward R. Murrow

turkey breast? Grant Erwin Barbecue 3 28-02-2009 08:25 AM
When to buy a Turkey Breast ?? Woolstitcher General Cooking 4 17-11-2007 09:27 PM
doing a turkey breast Beth Cole Barbecue 3 29-04-2005 03:07 PM
Turkey Breast Peter Newman Barbecue 13 02-12-2004 01:30 AM
Turkey breast (again) Peter Barbecue 16 29-11-2004 03:14 AM