Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dishwashing liquid (environmental)

Does anyone use any of these products?

http://www.greenhome.com/products/ho...ish_detergent/

I have to wash my milk jar once a week in a environmental dishwashing soap,
whether it be dishwasher or dish pan. Does anyone have any suggestions of
any that might be in a regular grocery store that you have used?
thanks so much.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message

> Does anyone use any of these products?
>
> http://www.greenhome.com/products/ho...ish_detergent/
>
> I have to wash my milk jar once a week in a environmental dishwashing
> soap, whether it be dishwasher or dish pan. Does anyone have any
> suggestions of any that might be in a regular grocery store that you have
> used?
> thanks so much.
> Dee Dee

I'm not sure what a milk jar is, or who says you have to wash it any
particular way. But, no matter. Dish liquids - the kind you use for washing
by hand, are pretty much all phosphate free and biodegradable (two SEPARATE
issues). Take a look at Dawn "original", if you want a product that's tough
enough to clean ancient oil crud off a car engine, and has no stupid
perfumes or ingredients to make your hands softer. The label says "no
phosphates, contains biodegradable surfactants".

I don't use liquids in my dishwasher - I use tablets, so I can't advise you
on that. You'll have to read some labels. But, while it WAS very important
years ago to cut back on the use of phosphate-laden products in homes,
that's pretty much happened because so many laundry products are free of the
chemical now. What's left is very minor by comparison.

Save your money. According to every consumer-oriented thing I've read over
the past 10-15 years, "green" products are often no better than what's in
the stores.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
> "Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> >
> > Does anyone use any of these products?
> >
> > http://www.greenhome.com/products/ho...ish_detergent/
> >
> > I have to wash my milk jar once a week in a environmental dishwashing
> > soap, whether it be dishwasher or dish pan. Does anyone have any
> > suggestions of any that might be in a regular grocery store that you have
> > used?
> > thanks so much.
> > Dee Dee

> I'm not sure what a milk jar is, or who says you have to wash it any
> particular way. But, no matter. Dish liquids - the kind you use for washing
> by hand, are pretty much all phosphate free and biodegradable (two SEPARATE
> issues). Take a look at Dawn "original", if you want a product that's tough
> enough to clean ancient oil crud off a car engine, and has no stupid
> perfumes or ingredients to make your hands softer. The label says "no
> phosphates, contains biodegradable surfactants".
>
> I don't use liquids in my dishwasher - I use tablets, so I can't advise you
> on that. You'll have to read some labels. But, while it WAS very important
> years ago to cut back on the use of phosphate-laden products in homes,
> that's pretty much happened because so many laundry products are free of the
> chemical now. What's left is very minor by comparison.
>
> Save your money. According to every consumer-oriented thing I've read over
> the past 10-15 years, "green" products are often no better than what's in
> the stores.

You can also cut way down on the volume of home cleaning products used
by installing a water softener... the savings on cleaning products will
more than pay for the water softener twice over... not to mention time
and effort saved from not having to do so much scrubbing of soap scum
and mineral deposits. I use tablets in my dishwasher too, but I cut
them in half... I use half the laundry soap too.. even shapoo goes more
than twice as far. I don't use bar soap, I prefer soft-soap/bath
gel... bar soap is wasteful. You gals will love showering with
softened water and bath gel... your skin will feel so slippery you
won't be able to stop touching yourself! LOL

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
>> "Dee Randall" > wrote in message
>> >
>> > Does anyone use any of these products?
>> >
>> > http://www.greenhome.com/products/ho...ish_detergent/
>> >
>> > I have to wash my milk jar once a week in a environmental dishwashing
>> > soap, whether it be dishwasher or dish pan. Does anyone have any
>> > suggestions of any that might be in a regular grocery store that you
>> > have
>> > used?
>> > thanks so much.
>> > Dee Dee

>> I'm not sure what a milk jar is, or who says you have to wash it any
>> particular way. But, no matter. Dish liquids - the kind you use for
>> washing
>> by hand, are pretty much all phosphate free and biodegradable (two
>> SEPARATE
>> issues). Take a look at Dawn "original", if you want a product that's
>> tough
>> enough to clean ancient oil crud off a car engine, and has no stupid
>> perfumes or ingredients to make your hands softer. The label says "no
>> phosphates, contains biodegradable surfactants".
>>
>> I don't use liquids in my dishwasher - I use tablets, so I can't advise
>> you
>> on that. You'll have to read some labels. But, while it WAS very
>> important
>> years ago to cut back on the use of phosphate-laden products in homes,
>> that's pretty much happened because so many laundry products are free of
>> the
>> chemical now. What's left is very minor by comparison.
>>
>> Save your money. According to every consumer-oriented thing I've read
>> over
>> the past 10-15 years, "green" products are often no better than what's in
>> the stores.

> You can also cut way down on the volume of home cleaning products used
> by installing a water softener... the savings on cleaning products will
> more than pay for the water softener twice over... not to mention time
> and effort saved from not having to do so much scrubbing of soap scum
> and mineral deposits. I use tablets in my dishwasher too, but I cut
> them in half... I use half the laundry soap too.. even shapoo goes more
> than twice as far. I don't use bar soap, I prefer soft-soap/bath
> gel... bar soap is wasteful. You gals will love showering with
> softened water and bath gel... your skin will feel so slippery you
> won't be able to stop touching yourself! LOL
>
> Sheldon

Bar soap wasteful? Maybe sorta kinda. If you wanted to be picky when
comparing it to the gel, you could say that the gel comes in a plastic
bottle, which may appear to be recyclable, but in fact, is not. And, this is
for business reasons: Many municipalities are having difficulty finding
buyers for the sheer volume of plastic they collect. So, the stuff just sits
around.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom > wrote:

> Take a look at Dawn "original", if you want a product that's tough
> enough to clean ancient oil crud off a car engine, and has no stupid
> perfumes or ingredients to make your hands softer. The label says "no
> phosphates, contains biodegradable surfactants".

I am unable to find "non-ultra" Dawn recently. Perhaps it
isn't distributed in my local market. When they changed
the formula to "ultra" several years back, it seems it does
not rinse as easily.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom > wrote:

>Bar soap wasteful? Maybe sorta kinda. If you wanted to be picky when
>comparing it to the gel, you could say that the gel comes in a plastic
>bottle, which may appear to be recyclable, but in fact, is not. And, this is
>for business reasons: Many municipalities are having difficulty finding
>buyers for the sheer volume of plastic they collect. So, the stuff just sits
>around.

One can re-fill liquid soap containers to get around
this problem. I buy liquid soap from Body Time, it
is non-antibacterial and unscented. They credit you
with $0.50 if you re-use the container.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> JoeSpareBedroom > wrote:
>
>> Take a look at Dawn "original", if you want a product that's tough
>> enough to clean ancient oil crud off a car engine, and has no stupid
>> perfumes or ingredients to make your hands softer. The label says "no
>> phosphates, contains biodegradable surfactants".

> I am unable to find "non-ultra" Dawn recently. Perhaps it
> isn't distributed in my local market. When they changed
> the formula to "ultra" several years back, it seems it does
> not rinse as easily.
>
> Steve

What supermarket do you shop at which does not carry the original version?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 3 Jun 2006 08:52:11 -0400, "Dee Randall"
> wrote:

>Does anyone use any of these products?
>
>http://www.greenhome.com/products/ho...ish_detergent/
>
>I have to wash my milk jar once a week in a environmental dishwashing soap,
>whether it be dishwasher or dish pan. Does anyone have any suggestions of
>any that might be in a regular grocery store that you have used?
>thanks so much.
>Dee Dee

Check out Whole Foods. They have shelves full of organic cleaning
products. You may have to try a few to find the one that works best
with you water and dishwasher.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom > wrote:

>"Steve Pope" > wrote in message

>> I am unable to find "non-ultra" Dawn recently.

>What supermarket do you shop at which does not carry the original version?

My local Andronico's (Berkeley CA), but now I'm inspired to
check one or two other places since by you're report it's
still around.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> JoeSpareBedroom > wrote:
>
>>"Steve Pope" > wrote in message

>>> I am unable to find "non-ultra" Dawn recently.

>>What supermarket do you shop at which does not carry the original version?

> My local Andronico's (Berkeley CA), but now I'm inspired to
> check one or two other places since by you're report it's
> still around.
>
> Steve

Safeway & Vons carry the 38 oz size. UPC 37000-42902. Individual stores may
not stock it because they like to play games like that. But, you can usually
talk to a manager and they'll order it from their warehouse. If they give
you a dumb look, give them this information:

This is Safeway's internal item code:
3531010109

This is the Vons item code:
2231010109

Albertson's shows the 25 oz size as a normal item in your area, too. Their
item code:
1537158

Lucky Stores data shows the product name, but no sizes.

However, there is no "original" Dawn being made any more. The most basic
ultra product is a more highly concentrated version of the original. If you
find it doesn't rinse as easily, try using less, especially if you have
relatively soft water. Not softened by a machine in your house, but
naturally soft.

http://www.pg.com/product_card/brand...nd_nam e=Dawn

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom > wrote:

>"Steve Pope" > wrote in message

>> JoeSpareBedroom > wrote:

>>>What supermarket do you shop at which does not carry the original version?

>> My local Andronico's (Berkeley CA), but now I'm inspired to
>> check one or two other places since by you're report it's
>> still around.

>Safeway & Vons carry the 38 oz size. UPC 37000-42902. Individual stores may
>not stock it because they like to play games like that. But, you can usually
>talk to a manager and they'll order it from their warehouse. If they give
>you a dumb look, give them this information:

>This is Safeway's internal item code:
>3531010109

>This is the Vons item code:
>2231010109

>Albertson's shows the 25 oz size as a normal item in your area, too. Their
>item code:
>1537158

>Lucky Stores data shows the product name, but no sizes.

>However, there is no "original" Dawn being made any more. The most basic
>ultra product is a more highly concentrated version of the original. If you
>find it doesn't rinse as easily, try using less, especially if you have
>relatively soft water. Not softened by a machine in your house, but
>naturally soft.

For a while, Dawn marketed the original product which said
"non-ultra" on the label. I think you are confirming that
this isn't available anymore.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> JoeSpareBedroom > wrote:

>>> My local Andronico's (Berkeley CA), but now I'm inspired to
>>> check one or two other places since by you're report it's
>>> still around.

>>Safeway & Vons carry the 38 oz size. UPC 37000-42902. Individual stores
>>may
>>not stock it because they like to play games like that. But, you can
>>usually
>>talk to a manager and they'll order it from their warehouse. If they give
>>you a dumb look, give them this information:

>>This is Safeway's internal item code:
>>3531010109

>>This is the Vons item code:
>>2231010109

>>Albertson's shows the 25 oz size as a normal item in your area, too. Their
>>item code:
>>1537158

>>Lucky Stores data shows the product name, but no sizes.

>>However, there is no "original" Dawn being made any more. The most basic
>>ultra product is a more highly concentrated version of the original. If
>>you
>>find it doesn't rinse as easily, try using less, especially if you have
>>relatively soft water. Not softened by a machine in your house, but
>>naturally soft.

> For a while, Dawn marketed the original product which said
> "non-ultra" on the label. I think you are confirming that
> this isn't available anymore.
>
> Steve

Right. I don't see on the Proctor & Gamble web site any longer. But, the
product was so popular, it would've made no sense for them to make the most
basic ultra version into something totally unusable. So seriously...try
using less. It's hard to know if you have hard or soft water, unless you
have something to compare it to. My water company calls ours "medium
hardness", which seems correct compared to other places I've lived, like
Long Island, where it was next to impossible to rinse off soap until you
learned to use much less.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

> >> I'm not sure what a milk jar is, or who says you have to wash it any
> >> particular way. But, no matter. Dish liquids - the kind you use for
> >> washing
> >> by hand, are pretty much all phosphate free and biodegradable (two
> >> SEPARATE
> >> issues). Take a look at Dawn "original", if you want a product that's
> >> tough
> >> enough to clean ancient oil crud off a car engine, and has no stupid
> >> perfumes or ingredients to make your hands softer. The label says "no
> >> phosphates, contains biodegradable surfactants".
> >>
> >> I don't use liquids in my dishwasher - I use tablets, so I can't advise
> >> you
> >> on that. You'll have to read some labels. But, while it WAS very
> >> important
> >> years ago to cut back on the use of phosphate-laden products in homes,
> >> that's pretty much happened because so many laundry products are free of
> >> the
> >> chemical now. What's left is very minor by comparison.
> >>
> >> Save your money. According to every consumer-oriented thing I've read
> >> over
> >> the past 10-15 years, "green" products are often no better than what's in
> >> the stores.

> > You can also cut way down on the volume of home cleaning products used
> > by installing a water softener... the savings on cleaning products will
> > more than pay for the water softener twice over... not to mention time
> > and effort saved from not having to do so much scrubbing of soap scum
> > and mineral deposits. I use tablets in my dishwasher too, but I cut
> > them in half... I use half the laundry soap too.. even shapoo goes more
> > than twice as far. I don't use bar soap, I prefer soft-soap/bath
> > gel... bar soap is wasteful. You gals will love showering with
> > softened water and bath gel... your skin will feel so slippery you
> > won't be able to stop touching yourself! LOL
> >
> > Sheldon
> >

> Bar soap wasteful? Maybe sorta kinda. If you wanted to be picky when
> comparing it to the gel, you could say that the gel comes in a plastic
> bottle, which may appear to be recyclable, but in fact, is not. And, this is
> for business reasons: Many municipalities are having difficulty finding
> buyers for the sheer volume of plastic they collect. So, the stuff just sits
> around.

Ridiculous... were that true soft drinks and bottle water would be
banned... you're probably the biggest offender, a fast food addict like
you... and liquid soap bottles are no problem, so few of yoose euros
and hillybillys bathe.

You're buying incorrectly... once you decide on which liquid/gel soaps
you like buy in bulk containers and refil the dispensers. Bar soap is
very wasteful, most ends up going down the drain, unused.... yeah, my
mother taught me all the tricks; open each bar as soon as you can to
let it dry out so it won't melt so fast, and save the slivers to squish
together... what a crock, just a big mess and wastes time for nothing,
still most bar soap just slides down the drain.

Liquid dispensed soaps are sanitary, no embedded pubic hairs, no
messy/gooey soap dishes to contend with and the pump dispensers can be
reused over and over for years and years. And dispensed soaps are far
more economical than bar soap... a very little is all that's needed, a
squirt the size of a dime is plenty to wash hands... a squirt the size
of a quarter on a wash cloth is plenty for a shower. I don't like
those squeeze bottle containers for shower gels either, they promote
using too much product... I recommend squeezing the shower gel into a
plastic pump bottle. All the liquid/gel cleaning products are readily
available in bulk, if not in your local stupidmarket then buy them on
line, greater assortment and much better prices. Anyone with a lot of
kids (more than one) should never use bar soap.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom > wrote:

>"Steve Pope" > wrote in message

>> For a while, Dawn marketed the original product which said
>> "non-ultra" on the label. I think you are confirming that
>> this isn't available anymore.

>Right. I don't see on the Proctor & Gamble web site any longer. But, the
>product was so popular, it would've made no sense for them to make the most
>basic ultra version into something totally unusable. So seriously...try
>using less.

I didn't say "totally unusable". Just that it can take more
time to rinse. Yes, the water is fairly soft around here.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> JoeSpareBedroom > wrote:
>
>>"Steve Pope" > wrote in message

>>> For a while, Dawn marketed the original product which said
>>> "non-ultra" on the label. I think you are confirming that
>>> this isn't available anymore.

>>Right. I don't see on the Proctor & Gamble web site any longer. But, the
>>product was so popular, it would've made no sense for them to make the
>>most
>>basic ultra version into something totally unusable. So seriously...try
>>using less.

> I didn't say "totally unusable". Just that it can take more
> time to rinse. Yes, the water is fairly soft around here.
>
> Steve

What's your water source? Up in the hills? Or, underground aquifer? The
latter tends to be softer if you're near the ocean.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Dee Randall" > wrote:

> Does anyone use any of these products?
>
> http://www.greenhome.com/products/ho...ish_detergent/
>
> I have to wash my milk jar once a week in a environmental dishwashing soap,
> whether it be dishwasher or dish pan. Does anyone have any suggestions of
> any that might be in a regular grocery store that you have used?
> thanks so much.
> Dee Dee

Maybe rec.food.equipment would be a closer match.

--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 5/29/2006, What They Did For Love
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Randall wrote:

> I have to wash my milk jar once a week.

What are milk jars... I can help with milk jugs.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sd sd is offline

In article >,
"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:

> Save your money. According to every consumer-oriented thing I've read over
> the past 10-15 years, "green" products are often no better than what's in
> the stores.

I will agree that there are "green" products which don't perform
significantly better than "regular" products -- just as there are
cheapo "regular" products which don't come near the performance of
the best of their kind.

But there are reasons to buy "green" products beyond their actual
performance (once that performance meets one's own standards) --
like toxicity (maybe not a concern with dish detergent, but for
other products); sustainability; the way the company is run; etc.
That "green" products often seem to cost more than "regular"
products is an accident of accounting.

As for the OP's question, I have not used any of the brands on the
linked Web site. I do, however, use Restore the Earth's dish liquid
(<http://www.restoreproducts.com/dish_detergent.html>) and Seventh
Generation's dishwasher powder
(<http://www.seventhgeneration.com/our_products/dishwashing.php>)
and have been quite happy with them.

From the Web site linked by the OP:
>If you want to avoid phosphates, choose a phosphate-free detergent,

but remember to rinse your dirty dishes right away.

Huh? I never have to do that with the Seventh Generation powder and
my dishwasher (ASKO). Pre-rinsing removes a chunk of the
environmental benefit to using a "green" detergent, I would think.

sd
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sd" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
>
>> Save your money. According to every consumer-oriented thing I've read
>> over
>> the past 10-15 years, "green" products are often no better than what's in
>> the stores.

> I will agree that there are "green" products which don't perform
> significantly better than "regular" products -- just as there are
> cheapo "regular" products which don't come near the performance of
> the best of their kind.
>
> But there are reasons to buy "green" products beyond their actual
> performance (once that performance meets one's own standards) --
> like toxicity (maybe not a concern with dish detergent, but for
> other products); sustainability; the way the company is run; etc.
> That "green" products often seem to cost more than "regular"
> products is an accident of accounting.
>

> As for the OP's question, I have not used any of the brands on the
> linked Web site. I do, however, use Restore the Earth's dish liquid
> (<http://www.restoreproducts.com/dish_detergent.html>) and Seventh
> Generation's dishwasher powder
> (<http://www.seventhgeneration.com/our_products/dishwashing.php>)
> and have been quite happy with them.
>
> From the Web site linked by the OP:
>>If you want to avoid phosphates, choose a phosphate-free detergent,

> but remember to rinse your dirty dishes right away.
>
> Huh? I never have to do that with the Seventh Generation powder and
> my dishwasher (ASKO). Pre-rinsing removes a chunk of the
> environmental benefit to using a "green" detergent, I would think.
>
> sd

For handwashing, I will be using, bought at Wegman's, Dishwashing Liquid -
Ecover Natural
http://www.greenhome.com/products/ho...ergent/102352/

But as the instructions from the farm are that I have to use an
environmental dishwashing soap, and definitely one without fragrance, I
asked her if there was a brand that she would suggest. She said, no, but I
could find them anyplace like our local groceries, indicating I didn't have
to go to stores such as Whole Foods, Wegmans or Trader Joe's to find this
kind of product. But I'm wondering if anyone has seen or used a brand that
is commonly found in an ordinary grocery store. My local stores are Food
Lion and Martins (Giant). (Hand Washing, not dishwasher washing). The jar
is WAY too tall to wash in the dishwasher.
Thanks again,
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee, I was just reading the latest issue of Consumer Reports,
a question in the Your Letters section was about greener
choices in dishwashing detergents.

I didn't look to see if this answer would help you, but here is
what it said.

"Greener Choices, a free Web site of Consumer Reports, offers
advice on how to be a more enviornmentally friendly consumer.
You'll find information on detergents that claim to be free of
phosphates or chlorine but perform well in our tests. Go to
www.GreenerChoices.org, click on 'Home & garden,' then on
'Greener cleaning.'"

Hope that helps.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> Dee, I was just reading the latest issue of Consumer Reports,
> a question in the Your Letters section was about greener
> choices in dishwashing detergents.
>
> I didn't look to see if this answer would help you, but here is
> what it said.
>
> "Greener Choices, a free Web site of Consumer Reports, offers
> advice on how to be a more enviornmentally friendly consumer.
> You'll find information on detergents that claim to be free of
> phosphates or chlorine but perform well in our tests. Go to
> www.GreenerChoices.org, click on 'Home & garden,' then on
> 'Greener cleaning.'"
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> nancy

Nancy, I have been using Seventh Generation Dish Washer detergent
(dry, not liquid) for several years now and even though it is rather
expensive, I like it better than anything else. Lately, most stores
in which I shop no longer carry it and I am trying to find a
substitute. I went to Greener Cleaning, but I could not find a list
of non-toxic detergents. Did you find such a page? Thank you.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Margaret Suran" > wrote in message
k.net...

> Nancy Young wrote:
>> Dee, I was just reading the latest issue of Consumer Reports,
>> a question in the Your Letters section was about greener
>> choices in dishwashing detergents.

> Nancy, I have been using Seventh Generation Dish Washer detergent (dry,
> not liquid) for several years now and even though it is rather expensive,
> I like it better than anything else. Lately, most stores in which I shop
> no longer carry it and I am trying to find a substitute. I went to
> Greener Cleaning, but I could not find a list of non-toxic detergents.
> Did you find such a page? Thank you.

Heh, I looked, and there is nothing for dish detergent that Dee was
asking about, only dishwasher machine detergent, that list is he

http://www.eco-labels.org/greenconsu...=greencleaning

Sorry, Dee.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> "Margaret Suran" > wrote in message
> k.net...
>>

>> Nancy Young wrote:
>>> Dee, I was just reading the latest issue of Consumer Reports,
>>> a question in the Your Letters section was about greener
>>> choices in dishwashing detergents.

>> Nancy, I have been using Seventh Generation Dish Washer detergent (dry,
>> not liquid) for several years now and even though it is rather expensive,
>> I like it better than anything else. Lately, most stores in which I shop
>> no longer carry it and I am trying to find a substitute. I went to
>> Greener Cleaning, but I could not find a list of non-toxic detergents.
>> Did you find such a page? Thank you.

> Heh, I looked, and there is nothing for dish detergent that Dee was
> asking about, only dishwasher machine detergent, that list is he
>
> http://www.eco-labels.org/greenconsu...=greencleaning
>
> Sorry, Dee.
>
> nancy

If her main concern is phosphates, she should slow down and read the labels
in the supermarket. They already have what she's looking for. Phosphates
have been largely gone for quite a few years.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> Heh, I looked, and there is nothing for dish detergent that Dee was
>> asking about, only dishwasher machine detergent, that list is he
>>
>> http://www.eco-labels.org/greenconsu...=greencleaning
>>
>> Sorry, Dee.

> If her main concern is phosphates, she should slow down and read the
> labels in the supermarket. They already have what she's looking for.
> Phosphates have been largely gone for quite a few years.

I wasn't sure what she was looking for, I wasn't playing along. I thought
I noticed she didn't want fragrance added, either. My plan was to see
what was available in the store next time I was there. Seems to me the
woman who said she could get it in any supermarket should just come out
and say a brand, would be easier to nail down what to look for.

And poor Dee is sorry she asked us. (laugh) nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote
>
>> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>>> Heh, I looked, and there is nothing for dish detergent that Dee was
>>> asking about, only dishwasher machine detergent, that list is he
>>>
>>> http://www.eco-labels.org/greenconsu...=greencleaning
>>>
>>> Sorry, Dee.

>> If her main concern is phosphates, she should slow down and read the
>> labels in the supermarket. They already have what she's looking for.
>> Phosphates have been largely gone for quite a few years.

> I wasn't sure what she was looking for, I wasn't playing along. I thought
> I noticed she didn't want fragrance added, either. My plan was to see
> what was available in the store next time I was there. Seems to me the
> woman who said she could get it in any supermarket should just come out
> and say a brand, would be easier to nail down what to look for.
>
> And poor Dee is sorry she asked us. (laugh) nancy

Hopefully, she's not trying to find one without ANY smell. There'll always
be a smell to these products. If the manufacturer doesn't add silly floral
or citrus masking scents, what's left is the smell of the chemicals that
make the stuff work.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Margaret Suran" > wrote in message
> k.net...
>

>>Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>>>Dee, I was just reading the latest issue of Consumer Reports,
>>>a question in the Your Letters section was about greener
>>>choices in dishwashing detergents.

>>Nancy, I have been using Seventh Generation Dish Washer detergent (dry,
>>not liquid) for several years now and even though it is rather expensive,
>>I like it better than anything else. Lately, most stores in which I shop
>>no longer carry it and I am trying to find a substitute. I went to
>>Greener Cleaning, but I could not find a list of non-toxic detergents.
>>Did you find such a page? Thank you.

> Heh, I looked, and there is nothing for dish detergent that Dee was
> asking about, only dishwasher machine detergent, that list is he
>
> http://www.eco-labels.org/greenconsu...=greencleaning
>
> Sorry, Dee.
>
> nancy

Thank you. I have "bookmarked" the page and will use it when I run
out of my supply of Seventh Generation, which is not highly regarded
or rated by Green Consumers. Again, thank you for your help, M
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> Dee, I was just reading the latest issue of Consumer Reports,
> a question in the Your Letters section was about greener
> choices in dishwashing detergents.
>
> I didn't look to see if this answer would help you, but here is
> what it said.
>
> "Greener Choices, a free Web site of Consumer Reports, offers
> advice on how to be a more enviornmentally friendly consumer.
> You'll find information on detergents that claim to be free of
> phosphates or chlorine but perform well in our tests. Go to
> www.GreenerChoices.org, click on 'Home & garden,' then on
> 'Greener cleaning.'"
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> nancy

Funny, nancy, I didn't see an answer to my question. But I was sure I would.
That's a good site, tho.
Saved. Thanks.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> "Margaret Suran" > wrote in message
> k.net...
>>

>> Nancy Young wrote:
>>> Dee, I was just reading the latest issue of Consumer Reports,
>>> a question in the Your Letters section was about greener
>>> choices in dishwashing detergents.

>> Nancy, I have been using Seventh Generation Dish Washer detergent (dry,
>> not liquid) for several years now and even though it is rather expensive,
>> I like it better than anything else. Lately, most stores in which I shop
>> no longer carry it and I am trying to find a substitute. I went to
>> Greener Cleaning, but I could not find a list of non-toxic detergents.
>> Did you find such a page? Thank you.

> Heh, I looked, and there is nothing for dish detergent that Dee was
> asking about, only dishwasher machine detergent, that list is he
>
> http://www.eco-labels.org/greenconsu...=greencleaning
>
> Sorry, Dee.
>
> nancy

You're right, Nancy, but I did save this page, because I may be buying a new
'dishwasher' cleaner next time. I might just try TJ's as I see it's rated
highly.
Thanks, Nancy,
Dee dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote
>
>> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>>> Heh, I looked, and there is nothing for dish detergent that Dee was
>>> asking about, only dishwasher machine detergent, that list is he
>>>
>>> http://www.eco-labels.org/greenconsu...=greencleaning
>>>
>>> Sorry, Dee.

>> If her main concern is phosphates, she should slow down and read the
>> labels in the supermarket. They already have what she's looking for.
>> Phosphates have been largely gone for quite a few years.

> I wasn't sure what she was looking for, I wasn't playing along. I thought
> I noticed she didn't want fragrance added, either. My plan was to see
> what was available in the store next time I was there. Seems to me the
> woman who said she could get it in any supermarket should just come out
> and say a brand, would be easier to nail down what to look for.
>
> And poor Dee is sorry she asked us. (laugh) nancy

Yes, I 'was' wondering why the farm woman wouldn't suggest a brand. My
guess that she was too busy to start discussing which brands, in case one
didn't/couldn't find the one she suggested.

I'm sticking to Ecover (dishwashing liquid) that I bought, and probably buy
it at Wegmans, TJ's or WF's so I'll just make sure I keep enough on hand.

Not poor Dee, Nancy :-) as, as a result I found the list of dishwasher
soaps and I'll no doubt be trying TJ's dishwasher soap, so that's a find.

Thanks, one and all.
Dee Dee