lea

Default Jelly vs. Jam

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> (HarryD7521) wrote:
>
>> What is the difference between Jelly and jam?
>> P.S. If possible, please reply by E-mail.
>> Thanks, Harry

> Jelly is made from the juice of the fruit; jam is made from the
> crushed fruit. Preserves also contain pieces of fruit -- properly
> done, the pieces are whole (if small enough) or uniformly cut to
> size; preserves are more pourable than spreadable. Jam is more
> spreadable than pourable. Conserves are first cousin to jam, often
> with raisins and/or nuts in them. Fruit butter is the pureed pulp of
> the fruit, thickened by slow cooking to a spreadable consistency.
> Marmalades are generally citrus products and contain slivers of the
> citrus-used peel. Topping is what we call jam that didn't set; syrup
> is what we call jelly that didn't jel. "-)

I don't know where Harry is from, but in Australia, Jelly is a cold dessert
popular with kids, and often eaten with icecream. Jam is a conserve you
might spread on toast or a sandwich.

--
Home from Rome

Hahabogus

"lea" > wrote in
:

> I don't know where Harry is from, but in Australia, Jelly is a cold
> dessert popular with kids, and often eaten with icecream. Jam is a
> conserve you might spread on toast or a sandwich.

So mint jelly served with lamb and mutton usually (not mint sauce). Would
be eaten as a dessert?
Greg Zywicki

"lea" > wrote in message >...

> I don't know where Harry is from, but in Australia, Jelly is a cold dessert
> popular with kids, and often eaten with icecream.

Hold on here - your kids eat Ice Cream and gellatin together?

And to think your folk criticize peanut butter and jam sandwiches.

Greg Zywicki
Wayne Boatwright

peecee > wrote in
. au:

:

(HarryD7521) wrote:
>|| >||
>|| >||
>|| >||
>|| Yes, I understand that, but what do those same folks call "jelly"?
>|| Curious...
>
> Jelly, we call jelly. (Gelatine desert)
> Jam, we call jam. (Spread it on toast, cake etc)
> Preserves we call preserve. Not usually pourable.(See "Jam" - not to
> be confused with preserved fruit.)
> Conserves, we call conserves. rarely contain (if ever?) nuts. (see
> jam). Fruit butter, we call fruit butter - lemon butter, etc, although
> I have also heard it referred to as lemon curd.
> Marmalade we call marmalade, (see jam)
> Topping is something used on ice cream or a desert in one context
> (runny or firm, but not something that failed to set). Or, something
> may be used *as* a topping, ie "Use Jam as a topping" etc.
> Syrup is a totally different thing, a runny liquid, fruit or otherwise
> based, loaded with copious amounts of sugar, and mush sweeter than
> Jams or preserves etc.

I confess that I'm still confused on the "jelly" issue.

In the US, "jelly" is *not* a gelatin product. It is a clear fruit
product made from fruit juice, sugar, and often, added pectin. The end
result is clear, spoonable, and spreadable, and most often used to spread
on toast.

Do other countries not have this? It seems we agree on jam, preserves,
conserves, marmalades, toppings, and syrups. So far, no one has really
mentioned the equivalent of "jelly".

Wayne

Erika

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 13:28:18 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>I confess that I'm still confused on the "jelly" issue.
>
>In the US, "jelly" is *not* a gelatin product. It is a clear fruit
>product made from fruit juice, sugar, and often, added pectin. The end
>result is clear, spoonable, and spreadable, and most often used to spread
>on toast.
>
>Do other countries not have this? It seems we agree on jam, preserves,
>conserves, marmalades, toppings, and syrups. So far, no one has really
>mentioned the equivalent of "jelly".
>
>Wayne

Yeah we have jelly like that in Sweden. (Gelé). We make it from
apples, currants (very popular), rowanberries or cranberries.
It´s served with meat and potatoes or similar.

Jam we make from lingonberries to be served in a similiar way. All
other jams are served with sweet things/deserts/baked goods.

/Erika

The first ten years of your life you try to be just like your parents.
Then for then years you try to be as little as your parents as possible.
Then you gradually change in to them.
Craig L.

"Hahabogus" > wrote in message
. 1...
> "lea" > wrote in
> :
>
> > I don't know where Harry is from, but in Australia, Jelly is a cold
> > dessert popular with kids, and often eaten with icecream. Jam is a
> > conserve you might spread on toast or a sandwich.
> >

> So mint jelly served with lamb and mutton usually (not mint sauce). Would
> be eaten as a dessert?

In Australia, Jelly is also a clear spoonable conserve that can be served
with meat etc as in the case of mint jelly or spread on toast as in the case
of crab-apple jelly or quince jelly. However Lea is also correct jelly is
mostly a cold, wobbly dessert served with icecream.

Craig L.

Kajikit

Greg Zywicki saw Sally selling seashells by the seashore and told us
all about it on 29 Sep 2003 05:49:14 -0700:

>"lea" > wrote in message >...
>
>> I don't know where Harry is from, but in Australia, Jelly is a cold dessert
>> popular with kids, and often eaten with icecream.

>Hold on here - your kids eat Ice Cream and gellatin together?

And what's wrong with that? Jelly by itself is rather boring unless
you stick something in it (frog in a pond anyone?)... but jelly and
icecream is a timehonoured tradition! We always have it at Christmas
for the people who don't like plum pudding.
(huggles)

~Karen AKA Kajikit

Nobody outstubborns a cat...

Visit my webpage: http://www.kajikitscorner.com
lea

Greg Zywicki wrote:
> "lea" <> wrote ...
>
>> I don't know where Harry is from, but in Australia, Jelly is a cold
>> dessert popular with kids, and often eaten with icecream.

> Hold on here - your kids eat Ice Cream and gellatin together?

1. no kids
2. Jelly, not 'gellatin'

> And to think your folk criticize peanut butter and jam sandwiches.

Understandably so.
--
Home from Rome

lea

Kajikit wrote:
> Greg Zywicki told us:
>> "lea" <> wrote ...
>>
>>> I don't know where Harry is from, but in Australia, Jelly is a cold
>>> dessert popular with kids, and often eaten with icecream.

>> Hold on here - your kids eat Ice Cream and gellatin together?

> And what's wrong with that? Jelly by itself is rather boring unless
> you stick something in it (frog in a pond anyone?)... but jelly and
> icecream is a timehonoured tradition! We always have it at Christmas
> for the people who don't like plum pudding.

I like it in trifle .. some people like jam, but ... mmm ... jel-ly ...

--
Home from Rome

lea

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> I confess that I'm still confused on the "jelly" issue.
>
> In the US, "jelly" is *not* a gelatin product. It is a clear fruit
> product made from fruit juice, sugar, and often, added pectin. The
> end result is clear, spoonable, and spreadable, and most often used
> to spread on toast.
>
> Do other countries not have this?

I'm not a big one for the "jam" aisle at the Supermarket, but I believe: no.
It's something I shy away from in the States too - no nutritional value. If
you want something on your toast, at least put on some fruit chunk and seed

Me, I prefer a savoury spread ... sliced fresh tomatoes with S&P, or the
universally hated Vegemite ( except for here , so perhaps I can't be
pointing the finger at 'good taste'

--
Home from Rome

sd

In article >,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> In the US, "jelly" is *not* a gelatin product. It is a clear fruit
> product made from fruit juice, sugar, and often, added pectin. The end
> result is clear, spoonable, and spreadable, and most often used to spread
> on toast.
>
> Do other countries not have this? It seems we agree on jam, preserves,
> conserves, marmalades, toppings, and syrups. So far, no one has really
> mentioned the equivalent of "jelly".

I think some of it is a spelling difference. "Jell-O" is a brand name
for gelatine desserts. Knox sells unflavored gelatin. If you check the
snack aisle of your favorite grocery store, you'll see several brands of
"gels" (gelatine that is altered to not require refrigeration, as Jell-O
and other brands do). "G", "J"; not much difference.

sd

PENMART01

In article >, "lea"
> writes:

>Kajikit wrote:
>> Greg Zywicki told us:
>>> "lea" <> wrote ...

>>> Hold on here - your kids eat Ice Cream and gellatin together?

>> And what's wrong with that? Jelly by itself is rather boring unless
>> you stick something in it (frog in a pond anyone?)... but jelly and
>> icecream is a timehonoured tradition! We always have it at Christmas
>> for the people who don't like plum pudding.

>I like it in trifle .. some people like jam, but ... mmm ... jel-ly ...

All Fruit!

I love ice cream with Jello... vanilla with any Jello, or matching fruit
flavored.

Vanilla ice cream with orange Jello is fantastic, tastes like a Creamsicle.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

A.T. Hagan

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 11:13:52 +1000, peecee >
wrote:

:

>|| Hold on here - your kids eat Ice Cream and gellatin together?
>|| And to think your folk criticize peanut butter and jam sandwiches.
>
>Your children have never had Jell-o and icecream?

There are whole areas of humor concerning Jello here in the U.S.,
particularly it's role in midwestern 'cuisine', but by and large it's
not generally eaten with ice cream here. At least not that I've seen
it eaten that way. Jello and whipped cream (or whatever passes for
it) is fairly common though.

......Alan.

Post no bills
Frogleg

>In article >,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> In the US, "jelly" is *not* a gelatin product. It is a clear fruit
>> product made from fruit juice, sugar, and often, added pectin. The end
>> result is clear, spoonable, and spreadable, and most often used to spread
>> on toast.
>>
>> Do other countries not have this? It seems we agree on jam, preserves,
>> conserves, marmalades, toppings, and syrups. So far, no one has really
>> mentioned the equivalent of "jelly".

The disconnect seems to be that (English-speaking) countries other
than the US don't specify a distinction between what we call 'jelly'
(clear, smooth 'jam' from juice) and 'jam', which we think of as
having some sort of fruit solids in it. 'Jelly' appears to be a
preparation with gelatin, as in 'calves' food jelly' which is clearly
broth with gelatin and a wiggly dessert we commonly refer to as Jell-O
after the common brand name.

IS there a name for the equivalent of US jelly in Brit-speak?

I Like Jelly Pie [email protected] General Cooking 1 20-01-2006 07:22 PM
Jelly The Cook Preserving 5 11-10-2005 07:34 PM
Jelly Bean Jelly (Jam) alandem Beer 3 27-01-2005 03:03 AM
Jelly Bean Jelly (Jam) alandem Chocolate 0 25-01-2005 04:00 PM
Jelly Palm jelly? TM Preserving 8 26-07-2004 10:47 PM