Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Emergency supplies

We who live in a hurricane prone area - the season starts tomorrow -
are being urged to have on hand at least three days of food and water.
I assume no power, mains water or access to the outdoor grill during a
severe storm and its aftermath so I suppose canned food must play a
major role. Normally the only foods I buy in cans are tomatoes and,
very occasionally, tuna I had a look in the supermarket today and
there are cans of such things as "beef stew" but I'm a little nervous
about what they might contain. Any ideas?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Anthony" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> We who live in a hurricane prone area - the season starts tomorrow -
> are being urged to have on hand at least three days of food and water.
> I assume no power, mains water or access to the outdoor grill during a
> severe storm and its aftermath so I suppose canned food must play a
> major role. Normally the only foods I buy in cans are tomatoes and,
> very occasionally, tuna I had a look in the supermarket today and
> there are cans of such things as "beef stew" but I'm a little nervous
> about what they might contain. Any ideas?

Did you read the ingredients? Were there some ingredients you didn't
understand?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Anthony wrote:
> We who live in a hurricane prone area - the season starts tomorrow -
> are being urged to have on hand at least three days of food and water.
> I assume no power, mains water or access to the outdoor grill during a
> severe storm and its aftermath so I suppose canned food must play a
> major role. Normally the only foods I buy in cans are tomatoes and,
> very occasionally, tuna I had a look in the supermarket today and
> there are cans of such things as "beef stew" but I'm a little nervous
> about what they might contain. Any ideas?

Read the ingredients. It's not gourmet, but it's still just vegetables and
some sort of beef in gravy. And, in the aftermath of Katrina I'd sure plan
on more than 3 days of rations. Water is going to be the most important
thing, of course. You don't just need it for drinking. Think about being
able to flush a toilet or wash a dish. Which brings me to the next things
to have on hand: toilet paper! And paper plates and plastic utensil
because you don't want to waste drinking water on washing dishes. Unless
there is a fire hazard (gas leaks) there should be no reason you can't fire
up a charcoal or gas grill if you lose electricity. Also stock up on
batteries for your flashlights.

Of course the best course of action, if warned to evacuate, is do just that
and do it *early*. Don't wait until the last minute when the roads are
jammed. And for cryin' out loud, don't be one of those a**holes who insists
on just "riding it out". There's no shame in leaving. There's a lot of
shame in being one of those suckers you see on the news, stuck on a roof
waiting for a helicopter to pick you off when the flood waters rise

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:
> Beef and vegetables, typically.
>
> -sw

No doubt. It is, as you might perhaps have surmised, the quality of
the ingredients that concern me. At school we used to get "beef stew"
from time to time, perfectly horrible stuff which even hungry boys
found difficulty with and which I certainly wouldn't wish to eat today.
I was actually looking for helpful suggestions from a group most of
the members of which presumably have some interest in eating pleasant
and nutritious food rather than in just being snide.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message

> Unless
> there is a fire hazard (gas leaks) there should be no reason you can't
> fire
> up a charcoal or gas grill if you lose electricity.

Good lord...NO! Fire hazard is the least of your problems. Carbon monoxide
is the issue. If you can crack a window or door a bit, you can get away with
using a small gas grill. But, definitely NOT charcoal. You can't turn a
charcoal grill off & on quickly, so it would be a waste of fuel, as well as
more dangerous. With propane, it's on fast and off fast. I'd keep plenty of
heavy duty foil on hand. Line pots with it so you can crank the heat up to
high, get the job done fast, and not worry about burnt food in the pot (like
beef stew or thick soups). Throw away the foil, and don't waste water on the
pots.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Anthony wrote:
> Steve Wertz wrote:
>> Beef and vegetables, typically.
>>
>> -sw

> No doubt. It is, as you might perhaps have surmised, the quality of
> the ingredients that concern me. At school we used to get "beef stew"
> from time to time, perfectly horrible stuff which even hungry boys
> found difficulty with and which I certainly wouldn't wish to eat
> today. I was actually looking for helpful suggestions from a group
> most of the members of which presumably have some interest in eating
> pleasant and nutritious food rather than in just being snide.

You're asking for advice from the wrong person if you want more than snide
from this person.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>
>> Unless
>> there is a fire hazard (gas leaks) there should be no reason you can't
>> fire
>> up a charcoal or gas grill if you lose electricity.

> Good lord...NO! Fire hazard is the least of your problems. Carbon monoxide
> is the issue. If you can crack a window or door a bit, you can get away with
> using a small gas grill. But, definitely NOT charcoal. You can't turn a
> charcoal grill off & on quickly, so it would be a waste of fuel, as well as
> more dangerous. With propane, it's on fast and off fast. I'd keep plenty of
> heavy duty foil on hand. Line pots with it so you can crank the heat up to
> high, get the job done fast, and not worry about burnt food in the pot (like
> beef stew or thick soups). Throw away the foil, and don't waste water on the
> pots.

I'm going to make the assumption here that Jill means to do this outside...

You aren't of course going to do this DURING the hurricane but after
words. That is what people in this area (VA) did after hurricane.
Elizabeth hit and they were without power for a few days.

Roberta (in VA)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Roberta wrote:
> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Unless
>>> there is a fire hazard (gas leaks) there should be no reason you
>>> can't fire
>>> up a charcoal or gas grill if you lose electricity.

>> Good lord...NO! Fire hazard is the least of your problems. Carbon
>> monoxide is the issue. If you can crack a window or door a bit, you
>> can get away with using a small gas grill. But, definitely NOT
>> charcoal. You can't turn a charcoal grill off & on quickly, so it
>> would be a waste of fuel, as well as more dangerous. With propane,
>> it's on fast and off fast. I'd keep plenty of heavy duty foil on
>> hand. Line pots with it so you can crank the heat up to high, get
>> the job done fast, and not worry about burnt food in the pot (like
>> beef stew or thick soups). Throw away the foil, and don't waste
>> water on the pots.
>>

> I'm going to make the assumption here that Jill means to do this
> outside...

Of course I mean outside! Or at least in a well-ventilated garage.

> You aren't of course going to do this DURING the hurricane but after
> words. That is what people in this area (VA) did after hurricane.
> Elizabeth hit and they were without power for a few days.
>
> Roberta (in VA)

Yes, I mean afterwards! But really, the best thing to do is evac inland and
get the hell away from the storm!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Anthony wrote:
> Steve Wertz wrote:
> > Beef and vegetables, typically.
> >
> > -sw

> No doubt. It is, as you might perhaps have surmised, the quality of
> the ingredients that concern me. At school we used to get "beef stew"
> from time to time, perfectly horrible stuff which even hungry boys
> found difficulty with and which I certainly wouldn't wish to eat today.
> I was actually looking for helpful suggestions from a group most of
> the members of which presumably have some interest in eating pleasant
> and nutritious food rather than in just being snide.

That was a perfectly legitimate response to your particular query, you
are the one with a mental problem, to wit: chronically low IQ... proven
by that only a pinheaded imbecile would priortize gormet over substance
in teh face of a hurricn's wrath

It's your can, you read the label... you can read, no?

Btw, typical canned beef stew is at least as good if not better than
what most folks prepare.

Shoulda known.... Antony is a WOP = DUMB GUIDO SHADROOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Anthony" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Steve Wertz wrote:
>> Beef and vegetables, typically.
>>
>> -sw

> No doubt. It is, as you might perhaps have surmised, the quality of
> the ingredients that concern me. At school we used to get "beef stew"
> from time to time, perfectly horrible stuff which even hungry boys
> found difficulty with and which I certainly wouldn't wish to eat today.
> I was actually looking for helpful suggestions from a group most of
> the members of which presumably have some interest in eating pleasant
> and nutritious food rather than in just being snide.

Where did you see "snide"? In my question about whether you'd checked the
ingredients? I mean, I hope you didn't expect a $3.00 can of Dinty Moore
beef stew to contain $15 per pound steak. Let's see...what else might be in
there? Preservatives? The product wouldn't exist without them. Salt, pepper
& other spices, of course. Vegetables? Probably. Maybe some caramel
coloring, and in some brands, monosodium glutamate in one of its many
disguises.

You could invest in several 70 quart ice chests (www.westmarine.com), using
one just to store bags of ice, and the 4th for actual food. Cold BBQ chicken
is something many people would be delighted with for a few days. Frittata
can be frozen, and defrosts pretty quickly. Load it up with vegetables, and
you have complete nutrition. Citrus fruit will survive a few days without
refrigeration, unless it's on its last legs to begin with. There's your
vitamin C. Canned soups aren't so bad that you couldn't live on them for a
while. There are plenty of vacuum packed meats and fish available from
companies like Starkist & Hormel.

You might get away with eating salads for a couple of days, if you made them
before your running water vanished. Keep them cold, but not TOO cold. Use
clear dressings that contain vinegar. They'll keep without refrigeration for
a few days.

I wonder how I came up with these ideas? I didn't search the web or consult
any source except my cooking and camping experience.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"Anthony" > wrote:

> We who live in a hurricane prone area - the season starts tomorrow -
> are being urged to have on hand at least three days of food and water.
> I assume no power, mains water or access to the outdoor grill during a
> severe storm and its aftermath so I suppose canned food must play a
> major role. Normally the only foods I buy in cans are tomatoes and,
> very occasionally, tuna I had a look in the supermarket today and
> there are cans of such things as "beef stew" but I'm a little nervous
> about what they might contain. Any ideas?

For emergency situations, canned entree's work fine. A bit high in salt
for my personal tastes but you have to consider that there will also be
a lack of fresh water so dried goods are not really a good idea.

One CAN live on canned stews and spaghetti-O's for a few days. ;-)
It's not going to kill you.

If you can afford to stock up on MRE's, that's the way I would go...
Better for one's sanity. <G>

Being spoiled rotten by good fresh cooking is going to have to go by the
wayside during an emergency. You do what you have to do to survive.

Stock up on water, lanterns and batteries too as well as sanitary items.
Soap, toilet paper, etc.

There are websites dedicated to this sort of thing, but it does make for
interesting discussions. Googling this group will show that this subject
comes up every year...
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > ha scritto nel messaggio
oups.com...

> Shoulda known.... Antony is a WOP = DUMB GUIDO SHADROOL

well, thank you! LOL
Guido

http://www.yummyfood.net
Quick and easy international recipes

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"Anthony" > wrote:
> very occasionally, tuna I had a look in the supermarket today and
> there are cans of such things as "beef stew" but I'm a little nervous
> about what they might contain. Any ideas?

Look at the ingredient list. If you don't make a lifetime of it. . . .
your lifetime will probably be just as long.

--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 5/29/2006, What They Did For Love
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Grizzman wrote:

> Dont forget a a couple of guns and a generator!!
> Grizzman

Best suggestion yet!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Anthony wrote:
> We who live in a hurricane prone area - the season starts tomorrow -
> are being urged to have on hand at least three days of food and water.
> I assume no power, mains water or access to the outdoor grill during a
> severe storm and its aftermath so I suppose canned food must play a
> major role. Normally the only foods I buy in cans are tomatoes and,
> very occasionally, tuna I had a look in the supermarket today and
> there are cans of such things as "beef stew" but I'm a little nervous
> about what they might contain. Any ideas?

Dont forget a a couple of guns and a generator!!
Grizzman
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
That was a perfectly legitimate response to your particular query, you
> are the one with a mental problem, to wit: chronically low IQ... proven
> by that only a pinheaded imbecile would priortize gormet over substance
> in teh face of a hurricn's wrath

Ah, the weird things illiterates say about us members of Mensa. Envy
of the elite, I suppose.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Anthony" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Sheldon wrote:
> That was a perfectly legitimate response to your particular query, you
>> are the one with a mental problem, to wit: chronically low IQ... proven
>> by that only a pinheaded imbecile would priortize gormet over substance
>> in teh face of a hurricn's wrath
>>

> Ah, the weird things illiterates say about us members of Mensa. Envy
> of the elite, I suppose.

You're a Mensa member, but you can't restate a question you asked earlier,
about which ingredients you were unsure about? That doesn't make sense.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Anthony wrote:
> We who live in a hurricane prone area - the season starts tomorrow -
> are being urged to have on hand at least three days of food and water.
> I assume no power, mains water or access to the outdoor grill during a
> severe storm and its aftermath so I suppose canned food must play a
> major role. Normally the only foods I buy in cans are tomatoes and,
> very occasionally, tuna I had a look in the supermarket today and
> there are cans of such things as "beef stew" but I'm a little nervous
> about what they might contain. Any ideas?

Buy meal replacement drinks and bars - they are nutritionally complete
and take up vewry little space. Sure they taste like poop, but if you
are stuck in a real emergency, having more food that is nutritionally
complete will be more important than taste. Plus the drinks supply
water which could be critical.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Peter A > wrote:

> In article .com>,
> says...
> > We who live in a hurricane prone area - the season starts tomorrow -
> > are being urged to have on hand at least three days of food and water.
> > I assume no power, mains water or access to the outdoor grill during a
> > severe storm and its aftermath so I suppose canned food must play a
> > major role. Normally the only foods I buy in cans are tomatoes and,
> > very occasionally, tuna I had a look in the supermarket today and
> > there are cans of such things as "beef stew" but I'm a little nervous
> > about what they might contain. Any ideas?
> >

> Be sure to have drinking water on hand. Also a manual can opener! Some
> canned items that I would store for emergencies are baked beans, non-
> condensed soups, corn, beets, sardines, chick peas, tuna, chili.

I recently got the book Apocalypse Chow: How to eat well when the power
goes out by Jon Robertson with Robin Robertson. Really good ideas in
there. Even 5 days of meals packed in a wine box.

The basic advice is to make your meals quick cooking - so you don't have
to store tons of fuel. Have some pleasurable things as everything else
can be miserable for a time - wine or the like if you like that, soda,
candy, coffee with a french press and tea, etc.

You could certainly turn your tomatoes into a quick sauce with pasta.
Pasta should be thin or small (think angel hair) for quick cooking
purposes. Besides canned tuna you can get canned chicken meat and some
of it is pretty good.

Breakfast - granola or other breakfast bars, dried fruits, instant
oatmeal if you can stand it, peanut butter, cereal, canned or bottled
juices, cocoa mix, just add water pancake mix.

Snacks - canned fruit, cookies, nuts, energy bars, trail mix, chocolate,
hard candies, dried fruit, pudding cups

Packaged foods like - soups (canned, dried, cup of), stews, pilafs, mac
and cheese, instant rice, stuffing mix, chutney, falafel mix, pickles,
canned beans both whole beans and refried, chips, crackers, vegetables -
many kinds, olives, canned mushrooms, couscous, pastas, soba noodles,
instant grits, instant polenta, ramen, canned chili, jarred bean salads,
tofu in aseptic packages, tomato sauce, bottled pasta sauces, salsa,
breadsticks,taco shells, tortillas.....

One gallon of water per person per day is the usual guideline. You need
it to drink, cook and clean up.

marcella

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Anthony wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> That was a perfectly legitimate response to your particular query, you
> > are the one with a mental problem, to wit: chronically low IQ... proven
> > by that only a pinheaded imbecile would priortize gormet over substance
> > in teh face of a hurricn's wrath
> >

> Ah, the weird things illiterates say about us members of Mensa.

Mensa... you're proud of having the female curse. LOL - LOL

It's MENSA, all upper case, you dago nitwit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

> You're a Mensa member, but you can't restate a question you asked earlier,
> about which ingredients you were unsure about? That doesn't make sense.

I was not unsure about the contents, only their quality.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

-L. wrote:

> Buy meal replacement drinks and bars - they are nutritionally complete
> and take up vewry little space. Sure they taste like poop, but if you
> are stuck in a real emergency, having more food that is nutritionally
> complete will be more important than taste. Plus the drinks supply
> water which could be critical.

Sounds like really good advice, thank you for providing focus..

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Anthony" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
>>
>> You're a Mensa member, but you can't restate a question you asked
>> earlier,
>> about which ingredients you were unsure about? That doesn't make sense.

> I was not unsure about the contents, only their quality.

Well....buy some and taste it. Whatever happened to the idea of
experimentation?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Be sure to have drinking water on hand. Also a manual can opener! Some
> canned items that I would store for emergencies are baked beans, non-
> condensed soups, corn, beets, sardines, chick peas, tuna, chili.

I made a delicious beet and chickpea salad after Hurricane Isabel. It's
now called "Isabella Salad" and eaten regularly around my house.

A great tip for your tuna........when you're somwehere like a 7-11,
grab a few of the plastic conidment packets for your emergency kit.
That gave us access to mustard and mayo for the tuna salad. We also
keep chinese-takeout soy sauce and hot mustard packages. This kinda
stuff can make the basic stuff more than palatable, if yuo're a
creative cook.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Marcella Peek wrote:

> One gallon of water per person per day is the usual guideline. You need
> it to drink, cook and clean up.

I would personally recommend at least 5 gallons of water per person per
day....heat and humidity will sap most of your moisture out of your
body, and lest not forget one of the most important reason for more than
a gallon of H2O per day....human waste! you really need water to help
with the disposal of human waste and probably about 50 pounds of lime to
help with the decomposing of the solid waste...this is from experience
as i do not have running water at my cabin. i use an out house

Grizzman
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Anthony" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> We who live in a hurricane prone area - the season starts tomorrow -
> are being urged to have on hand at least three days of food and water.
> I assume no power, mains water or access to the outdoor grill during a
> severe storm and its aftermath so I suppose canned food must play a
> major role. Normally the only foods I buy in cans are tomatoes and,
> very occasionally, tuna I had a look in the supermarket today and
> there are cans of such things as "beef stew" but I'm a little nervous
> about what they might contain. Any ideas?

Water is probably more of an issue than food - I should fill up baths and
any other large containers with tapwater for washing and flushing the loo,
and stock up with the big bottles of springwater for drinking. (Other kinds
of drinks are fine, but it's surprising how some kinds of soft drinks
actually make you *more* thirsty, rather than less ...)

Food - well, lots of fruit will last for more than a week (fresh apples,
oranges, underripe peaches), same for plain biscuits and crackers, Scots
oatcakes, that sort of thing. If you won't have access to any cooking
facilities (camping stove, maybe?) then choose canned food which tastes OK
cold. Cold tuna makes perfectly good sandwiches; cold beef stew, not really

If you have some way of heating the food up, then how about cans of
meat-only, cans of vegetable-only, and combining them to make your own stew?
I use tinned stewed steak for meat pies sometimes - it's just cubed beef in
a little gravy, with all the ingredients listed, and perfectly palatable. I
could make a reasonable "hurricane stew" with that, some tinned veg,
lazy-garlic from a jar, a skoosh of red wine, dried herbs, and some penne
pasta simmered in with it

Look for tinned fruit and veg which has no added salt/sugar; you can do more
with it if you're not fighting the additives. Oh, and remember that frozen
food, left to thaw naturally, will see you through at least the first day
before it gets dodgy. You might not need to resort to the tins much, at all.
But *do* stock up on the water. I've no experience of hurricanes, but after
the Cardiff drought of '76, I'm an expert in what happens with a waterless
water-closet

Jani

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Anthony wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> That was a perfectly legitimate response to your particular query, you
>
>>are the one with a mental problem, to wit: chronically low IQ... proven
>>by that only a pinheaded imbecile would priortize gormet over substance
>>in teh face of a hurricn's wrath
>>

> Ah, the weird things illiterates say about us members of Mensa. Envy
> of the elite, I suppose.

Than one might question why you even asked a question. Someone with a
superior intellect should have no problem reading a can to determine if
it is "space food".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George" > wrote in message
> Anthony wrote:
>> Sheldon wrote:
>> That was a perfectly legitimate response to your particular query, you
>>
>>>are the one with a mental problem, to wit: chronically low IQ... proven
>>>by that only a pinheaded imbecile would priortize gormet over substance
>>>in teh face of a hurricn's wrath
>>>

>> Ah, the weird things illiterates say about us members of Mensa. Envy
>> of the elite, I suppose.
>>

> Than one might question why you even asked a question. Someone with a
> superior intellect should have no problem reading a can to determine if it
> is "space food".

One might also ask why someone so brilliant would need to be a member of a
club. For the label? The secret decoder ring?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
hob hob is offline

Number one emergency requirement (disease, etc.) -

Toilet paper - and zip-loc plastic bags .
(you turn the bag inside out over your hand, grab the mess, and return
the bag to right side out, and zip it and put it in a bucket. Assume stomach
problems from the food and the stress.)
( If the older or infirm crowd is in the group, consider a folding camp
latrine - the user can sit instead of squatting.)

and hand sanitizer

and paper towels and mosquito repellent (mosquito nets for sleeping).

8-12 oz paper cups

------

Food -

The following food can be eaten cold and basically doesn't need
refrigeration for a day or so after opening (try to get the kinds of stuff
that doesn't need refrigeration after opening).
( Hint - Those meals that sound good now pretty much suck when you are
sitting in stress and chaos.. those poor substitutions will remind you of
real food and the mess -
you are NOT going to be looking for taste or fine dining if the hurricane
just put you into three days without water and services mode. Grease, salt,
and passable mouth feel counts. )

( BTW - TWO hand-type can openers and some table knives and spoons.)

----------

Spam... the original.

Oil-pack tuna in the can.

Pork and beans..

Fruitcake or similar...

(the above are std canned emergency rations, btw)

Lots of soda crackers (put them in a cookie tin and seal it with tape)

Velveeta ( put it in a cookie tin.)

-- Trust me - it all tastes a lot better than it sounds when you are in
that stress - beats MRE hands down. You will need salt and water.

Coffee, ground and put in a glass jar.

Sterno "tabs" or the like with a small pot for boiling water for coffee.

Peanut butter.

Cans of "squeeze cheese"

Honey in a squeeze bottle.

Jam in squeeze bottles.

Ramen soup and a pot.

Chocolate is recommended because it has high fat and high calories - but it
doesn't keep as well as Spam.

Suckers for kids and mints for adults.

Dog/cat food - some dog will show up

Beer (ration it) in glass bottles or cans.
1) It will be tense and edgy if you get hit, especially late in the first
24 hours because the adrenaline starts wearing off and everyone gets edgy
from the removal of the adrenaline from their system. Emotions run all over
the place.
2) and beer bonds the pack - men, women, and children over six all get
some beer - beer gets passed out when all are sitting together.

Gloves.

Water - a gallon per adult per day for intake.

"Anthony" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> We who live in a hurricane prone area - the season starts tomorrow -
> are being urged to have on hand at least three days of food and water.
> I assume no power, mains water or access to the outdoor grill during a
> severe storm and its aftermath so I suppose canned food must play a
> major role. Normally the only foods I buy in cans are tomatoes and,
> very occasionally, tuna I had a look in the supermarket today and
> there are cans of such things as "beef stew" but I'm a little nervous
> about what they might contain. Any ideas?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"hob" > wrote in message
. ..
> Number one emergency requirement (disease, etc.) -
>
> Toilet paper - and zip-loc plastic bags .
> (you turn the bag inside out over your hand, grab the mess, and return
> the bag to right side out, and zip it and put it in a bucket. Assume
> stomach
> problems from the food and the stress.)
> ( If the older or infirm crowd is in the group, consider a folding camp
> latrine - the user can sit instead of squatting.)

If we're getting *that* basic, then also sanitary pads/tampons and small
sealable baggies for disposal; non-allergenic cleaning wipes (Dove, or
Simple) for personal hygiene.

[]

> Beer (ration it) in glass bottles or cans.

*glass* bottles? You wanna think about that one?

> 1) It will be tense and edgy if you get hit, especially late in the
> first
> 24 hours because the adrenaline starts wearing off and everyone gets edgy
> from the removal of the adrenaline from their system. Emotions run all
> over
> the place.
> 2) and beer bonds the pack - men, women, and children over six all get
> some beer - beer gets passed out when all are sitting together.

I think you're underestimating the ability of people to simply walk over,
get beer, drink some and use the rest as a weapon. Alcohol of any sort is
not a good idea if there's a water shortage; alcohol dehydrates. Glass
bottles in the hands of frightened people - definitely not.

Jani

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Anthony wrote:

> I was actually looking for helpful suggestions from a group most
> of the members of which presumably have some interest in eating
> pleasant and nutritious food rather than in just being snide.

Ooohhhh! You wanted "helpful suggestions"!
That's down the hall, on the left.
Our office is snide abuse.

Quite alright, not an uncommon error.

Moron. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> Anthony wrote:
> > Steve Wertz wrote:
> > > Beef and vegetables, typically.
> > >
> > > -sw

> > No doubt. It is, as you might perhaps have surmised, the quality of
> > the ingredients that concern me. At school we used to get "beef stew"
> > from time to time, perfectly horrible stuff which even hungry boys
> > found difficulty with and which I certainly wouldn't wish to eat today.
> > I was actually looking for helpful suggestions from a group most of
> > the members of which presumably have some interest in eating pleasant
> > and nutritious food rather than in just being snide.

> That was a perfectly legitimate response to your particular query,

Only a snide shitbird such as yourself would think so.

> you
> are the one with a mental problem, to wit: chronically low IQ... proven
> by that only a pinheaded imbecile would priortize gormet over substance
> in teh face of a hurricn's wrath

Dude, do NOT recommend that everyone reading this go to
groups.google.com and search your posting history, unless you want them
to see what a vaulting hypocrite you are on the issue of IQ.

> It's your can, you read the label... you can read, no?
>
> Btw, typical canned beef stew is at least as good if not better than
> what most folks prepare.
>
> Shoulda known.... Antony is a WOP = DUMB GUIDO SHADROOL

Sheldon is a SHITHEAD = GODDAMNED SENILE PSYCHOPATH.

--Blair

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> It's MENSA, all upper case, you dago nitwit.

Not according to them it's not:

http://www.mensa.org

You have your choice of all lowercase, or Mixed case as used by the
person whose intelligence you're insulting (directly; you're insulting
everyone's by posting, which you've been asked never to do).

--Blair

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Curt Nelson" > wrote:

> Many people don't realize they have 50 gallons or so of drinkable water on
> hand in their hot water heater.
>
> Hasta,
> Curt Nelson

Unless you splurged the last time and installed the instant hot/tankless
water heater....

marcella
Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wondered:

> One might also ask why someone so brilliant would need to be a member of a
> club. For the label? The secret decoder ring?

To be a member of Mensa, you need an IQ in the top two percent of the
population. That works out to one person in fifty. "Brilliant" is perhaps
too strong an adjective.

At any rate, I joined Mensa to meet people who got my jokes and because
continually explaining things -- like I'm doing now to you -- became
tiresome.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Anthony wrote:
> -L. wrote:
> >
> > Buy meal replacement drinks and bars - they are nutritionally complete
> > and take up vewry little space. Sure they taste like poop, but if you
> > are stuck in a real emergency, having more food that is nutritionally
> > complete will be more important than taste. Plus the drinks supply
> > water which could be critical.
> >

> Sounds like really good advice, thank you for providing focus..

You are welcome. I was stranded in a snowstorm when I was 16, so
learned the hard way. Now if we drive anywhere that we may be
stranded, we carry meal replacements and a couple gallons of water.
-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Wed, 31 May 2006 10:43:58 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
>
> > Of course I mean outside! Or at least in a well-ventilated garage.

> See what I mean? She really *is* that stupid. You don't grill
> even in a well-vented garage. That is, unless your garage has no
> roof.

I tune in to the froup and what do I see. Slander. The ODORIFIC
Sqwertz making some insulting and slanderous remark about a well -
liked poster. Will nothing ever change...at least this time he does
not use a transparently moronic sock puppet. Such a big brave kid...

Stevie boy, remember the concept of "karma" -- your karma "account" is
already at an extreme deficit, I wouldn't push it ANY lower if I were
you...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> JoeSpareBedroom wondered:
>
>> One might also ask why someone so brilliant would need to be a member of
>> club. For the label? The secret decoder ring?

> To be a member of Mensa, you need an IQ in the top two percent of the
> population. That works out to one person in fifty. "Brilliant" is perhaps
> too strong an adjective.
>
> At any rate, I joined Mensa to meet people who got my jokes and because
> continually explaining things -- like I'm doing now to you -- became
> tiresome.
>
> Bob

Apparently, that top two percent still has difficulty with implicit
meanings. I'm surprised you haven't noticed that with Anthony yet.

FS:OneTouch Supplies fly-girl Diabetic 35 24-10-2008 06:11 PM
Emergency Food Supplies Mike P. Marketplace 0 21-08-2007 04:36 PM
Supplies Puester Preserving 1 01-05-2007 01:03 AM
Supplies in London, UK [email protected] Winemaking 3 22-08-2006 04:28 PM
Supplies Jason Thomas Winemaking 0 21-01-2004 09:39 AM