Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default turkey and spices

I hears ground turkey is better for a person then regular and ground
beef. But when I eat Ground Turkey is taste like is needs some spices
to it, to make it ok on every day cooking.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article om>,
"rose1bud" > wrote:

> I hears ground turkey is better for a person then regular and ground
> beef. But when I eat Ground Turkey is taste like is needs some spices
> to it, to make it ok on every day cooking.

Theoretically the only reason that ground turkey is considered healthier
is because it's supposedly lower in fat. But, after careful label
reading, I've found that that is not true in most cases unless you buy
ground breast meat...

I tend to mix it with other meats. Since I live low sodium most of the
time, I cannot stand how salty regular pre-prepared pork sausages are
but I like the over-all flavor of commercial ground breakfast sausages.

I take 1 lb. of sausage and mix it with 1 lb. of ground turkey and 1 lb.
of ground lean (97-3) beef, then make sausage patties out of that.

Really lean ground beef IMHO is better than the 80-20 ground turkey that
is available around here and I need the iron that is in the beef. ;-)
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

rose1bud wrote:
> I hears ground turkey is better for a person then regular and ground
> beef. But when I eat Ground Turkey is taste like is needs some spices
> to it, to make it ok on every day cooking.

Think turkey stuffing and add some sage & finely chopped onion to your
ground turkey meat. 1 - 2 tbs. of sage per pound depending on taste and
less onion than sage. Start with less and work up.

When you see the possibilities of this begin to experiment with other
herbs and spices. Oregano, celery or fennel seed, mace, nutmeg, a lot
of people like a pinch of cinnamon in ground meat, garlic, Beau Mond
seasoning, Zataraigns "Creole" seasoning, saute in dark sesame oil with
garlic and 1 inch strips of green onion. I find when im sauteing 'loose
meat' that a larger rather than a smaller dice or cut of onion or other
veggies seems to impart more flavour to the dish than a small dice or cut.

Its a personal thing with me but i like oat bran in my ground meat for
its flavour (its medicinal & colon cleansing aspect is secondary to me)
& i often use a good Hungarian sweet paprika with the oat bran and make
small meat balls that are easily sauted and serve with a creme sauce
"Swedish meatballs".

I have used lots of ground turkey but tend these days to use more fish &
chicken, i like to mash prawns to a paste and mix it with ground chicken
white meat, about 1/2 & /12, add to this finely minced green onion &
garlic. dried (plain, unseasoned, white) bread crumbs and saute in
butter (carefully add a bit of beaten egg or white wine if the mixture
seems to dry or wont hold together), remove sauted meat ball from pan
and de glaze pan with white wine to make a wine reduction sauce. These
meat balls can be poached in white wine or stock to very nice effect.
---
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article om>,
> "rose1bud" > wrote:
>
>> I hears ground turkey is better for a person then regular and ground
>> beef. But when I eat Ground Turkey is taste like is needs some
>> spices to it, to make it ok on every day cooking.

> Theoretically the only reason that ground turkey is considered
> healthier is because it's supposedly lower in fat. But, after careful
> label reading, I've found that that is not true in most cases unless
> you buy ground breast meat...

Exactly. A lot of ground turkey includes the skin which is the fatty part
but people mistake "ground turkey" for being low fat. Not necessarily

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

rose1bud wrote:
> I hears ground turkey is better for a person then regular and ground
> beef. But when I eat Ground Turkey is taste like is needs some
> spices to it, to make it ok on every day cooking.

Depends on what you want to cook. I like this recipe for turkey burgers
(serves 2, double if you want to cook more than 2 burgers):

Turkey Burgers 'Indienne'

8 oz. ground turkey
1 green onion, minced
1/2 tsp. sesame oil
1 tsp. Tabasco sauce (I use a little more)
2 tsp. soy sauce
1/8 tsp. dried ground ginger (I use a little more)
2 whole wheat buns, buttered and toasted
vegetable toppings as desired

Combine ground turkey, minced green onion, soy sauce, ground ginger, sesame
oil and Tabasco sauce. Form mixture into patties about 3/4 inch thick.
Broil 5-6 inches from heat about 5 minutes on each side. Serve on toasted
wheat buns with your choice of vegetable toppings.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:

>I tend to mix it with other meats. Since I live low sodium most of the
>time, I cannot stand how salty regular pre-prepared pork sausages are
>but I like the over-all flavor of commercial ground breakfast sausages.

>I take 1 lb. of sausage and mix it with 1 lb. of ground turkey and 1 lb.
>of ground lean (97-3) beef, then make sausage patties out of that.

Ground pork, mixed with a _generous_ amount of ground fennel,
plus as much pepper as you care for (red, white, and/or black)
makes an excellent sausage. No salt necessary.

Steve

What are your turkey spices? Todd Diabetic 14 28-11-2013 11:03 AM
Marwari Spices and Pulses is a manufacturer of spices used as food flavoring. spicespulses Recipes 0 19-11-2010 04:38 PM
Spices for "turkey gravy"? [email protected] General Cooking 6 24-11-2008 09:42 AM
Turkey brining spices Jenn Preserving 2 06-01-2008 02:37 AM
Lost turkey recipe (skin wrapped stuffed boneless turkey) jammer General Cooking 3 23-11-2003 12:05 AM