lea

Default 12 Items or Fewer!

Frogleg wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> I don't understand people who actually count the items in other
>> people's cart just to make a stink. I get the general idea, not
>> 30 items, 12. 13? I'll live. Guess I never have understood
>> people who are sticklers for the rules. Don't think I'd have made
>> it in the military.

> I count the items in *my* cart and try to be a good citizen. I have
> been known to go through the "express" line twice to check out 18
> items, suitably divided. I wouldn't quibble with another's 13 or 14,
> but will sometimes mention, as nicely as possible, to a person with a
> full basket that this is the express line. Often this wasn't noticed
> and the shopper will scoot to a regular line.

This is my experience/method also.

--
Home from Rome

lea

"Margaret Suran" <> wrote ...

> Yes, the other day I bought two six packs or Ginger Ale for company
> and I counted them as two items. I got on the "Ten Items Or Less"
> line and the woman who came after me, complained. I ignored her and
> she called the manager. The manager told her that I had two items
> and asked her to learn how to count.
>
> It made me feel very good.

um. what a moronic lady !! - 2 barcodes, two scans. Imagine if you'd had a
24-pack of Pepsi !!

--
Home from Rome

Dan Abel

In article >, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

> Here's a thought: if the item scans as ONE item, no matter how many are *in*
> it, then it's one item. Right?

If I buy a bunch of bananas, that's clearly one item. But if I buy two
bunches of bananas, and they are sold by the pound, the checker is going
to weigh them together and they will thus be scanned as one item. Right?
How about if I buy five cans of beans? Usually the checker will hit some
buttons, and then just scan one of the cans. Does that count as one item?

These are important questions!

:-)

--
Dan Abel
Sonoma State University

PENMART01

(Dan Abel) writes:

>If I buy a bunch of bananas, that's clearly one item. But if I buy two
>bunches of bananas, and they are sold by the pound, the checker is going
>to weigh them together and they will thus be scanned as one item. Right?
>How about if I buy five cans of beans? Usually the checker will hit some
>buttons, and then just scan one of the cans. Does that count as one item?
>

>These are important questions!

If you buy two bunches of bananas and five cans of beans you won't be
constipated.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Curly Sue

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 13:52:46 -0700, (Dan Abel) wrote:

>In article >, "jmcquown"
> wrote:
>

>> Here's a thought: if the item scans as ONE item, no matter how many are *in*
>> it, then it's one item. Right?

>If I buy a bunch of bananas, that's clearly one item. But if I buy two
>bunches of bananas, and they are sold by the pound, the checker is going
>to weigh them together and they will thus be scanned as one item. Right?
>How about if I buy five cans of beans? Usually the checker will hit some
>buttons, and then just scan one of the cans. Does that count as one item?
>

>These are important questions!

If you buy a bunch of bananas they'll be scanned as one. If you buy
two bunches, they may be weighed as one item. But if you buy 15
bunches of bananas, you have 15 items.

If you have one can of beans it's one item. If you have several cans
of beans of the same brand, size, and price, you may be able to get
away with it as one item. However, if you have 5 cans of beans, 5
cans of tuna, 5 cans of cat food, 5 cans of evaporated milk, and 5
cans of peas, you have 25 items, not 5 items. Somewhere out there are
scholars debating where the crossover between "some" and "many" lies.

Which reminds me of a student who had trouble with a multiple choice
item on an exam because the word "several" was in the question. His
quandry? "In my country, 'several' means 'more than the number of
stars in the sky'"

I'd hate to be in the express lane in his country.

Sue(tm)
Curly Sue

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 00:03:08 GMT, Hahabogus >
wrote:

(Curly Sue) wrote in news:3f78c333.4050869@news-
>server.nyc.rr.com:
>
>> If you buy a bunch of bananas they'll be scanned as one. If you buy
>> two bunches, they may be weighed as one item. But if you buy 15
>> bunches of bananas, you have 15 items.
>>

>What if I buy grapes?

Grapes are always weighed as one unit. If you have a bunch, that is
one unit. If you have a bunch with 2-3 that have fallen off, that can
still be weighed as one unit. If you have a bunch with 20-30 that
have fallen off but in the same bag, that can be weighed as one unit.
If you eat any of the grapes before you get to the checkout, you are
now part of the unit and must be weighed holding the remaining bunch
in your hand. I hope they were delicious, at that price!

Sue(tm)