Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Which is most famous food in world?

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
. uk...

> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>> .uk...

>>> Made out of girls???
>>>

>> It's in your lap, dear heart. :-)

> LOL eeehh yer a mucky lot

Mucky?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> Rice is no longer the most popular grain/starch... these days diets are
> far more diverse... between corn, wheat, beans, and many other
> grains/seeds/twigs and many starches like especially potatoes, and most
> especisally french fries, rice is now on the back burner so to speak...
> I don't think any fast food joint serves rice but they all serve
> fries... and I'm talking globally, these days fast food is everywhere.
>
> The most popular meat is seafood... chicken, pork... beef is at the low
> end. Even with weiners beef is not very popular. In the Middle East
> turkey rules.

Sheldon has a spectacular knack for being spectacularly wrong.

Rice is certainly the most-eaten grain. Though Corn and Wheat are
grown more, they are processed into other products (corn oil+corn
syrup+cornstarch, and flour for bread), and eaten "as-is" comparatively
rarely. Here are some facts, to get the taste of Sheldon's imagination
out of your eyes:

The world's three biggest plant crops, in millions of metric tons
(billions of kilograms):

corn 677
wheat 615
rice 406

The U.S. grows about one-third of the world's corn (maize), only about
8% of the world's wheat, and only about 2% of the world's rice. China
produces 15% of the wheat, 20% of the corn, and over 30% of the rice.
(http://www.fas.usda.gov/wap/circular...05-12/toc.html)

The world's four biggest animal crops for human consumption (million
metric tons):

pork 97
fish 70
beef 53
poultry 61

The U.S. produces 25% of the poultry, 20% of the beef, and 10% of the
pork. It is by far the biggest single-country producer of beef or
poultry, but China produces more than five times as much pork (more
than half the world total), while producing only 15% of the poultry and
15% of the beef.
(http://www.fas.usda.gov/dlp/circular...6-03LP/toc.htm)

While 120 million tons are actually caught,only 70 million tons of fish
production are designated as food for humans. The rest go presumably
as feed for the other animals, fertilizer for the plant crops, bait for
other fish, etc.
(http://www.fao.org/documents/show_cd...e/y4743e04.htm)

I recommend to Sheldon to search the net for middle-eastern recipes,
then tell us how many contain chicken, and how many contain other fowl.
It's doubtful anyone in the Middle East could tell a turkey from a
Turk.

As for potatoes, the world produces about 300 million metric tons, of
which 20% grow in China. The U.S. is fourth at about 7%, behind Poland
and Russia. Ireland doesn't even make the top 14 for national
production. However, Ireland is third in per-capita production, behind
Russia and Poland, each of which has double Ireland's productivity per
person.
(http://faostat.fao.org/faostat/form?...&language= EN)

--Blair

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael Archon Sequoia Nielsen wrote:
> Yogi Gupta wrote:
> > Wheat
> > I don't know of any culture in the world where wheat is not consumed..
> > Right?
> > I would say bread.

> The rice-driven cultures did not have bread before they were
> westernized. In China they still can't get it right, even at famous
> bread gourmet places it is still crap.

The Viet Namese got it right, but only because they were owned by
France for several decades, and started out as wizard cooks in the
first place...

--Blair

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Blair P. Houghton" > wrote in
ups.com:

> corn 677

That's a lot of corn liquor.

No wonder fish finally got tired and came ashore!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Blair P. Houghton" > wrote in
oups.com:

> Michael Archon Sequoia Nielsen wrote:
>> Yogi Gupta wrote:
>> > Wheat
>> > I don't know of any culture in the world where wheat is not

consumed..
>> > Right?
>> > I would say bread.

>> The rice-driven cultures did not have bread before they were
>> westernized. In China they still can't get it right, even at famous
>> bread gourmet places it is still crap.

> The Viet Namese got it right, but only because they were owned by
> France for several decades, and started out as wizard cooks in the
> first place...
>
> --Blair

I remember a statistic from some TV news show decades ago that drew
comparisons about different cancers between Americans and Asians. So they
claimed, Americans had a higher incidence of colon cancer from fatty
foods. The Asians had a higher incidence of stomach cancer from rice.

Can't say whether it was proven out in the medical journals of science.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> "Blair P. Houghton" > wrote in
> oups.com:
>
>> Michael Archon Sequoia Nielsen wrote:

> consumed..
>>>
>>> The rice-driven cultures did not have bread before they were
>>> westernized. In China they still can't get it right, even at famous
>>> bread gourmet places it is still crap.

>> The Viet Namese got it right, but only because they were owned by
>> France for several decades, and started out as wizard cooks in the
>> first place...
>>
>> --Blair

> I remember a statistic from some TV news show decades ago that drew
> comparisons about different cancers between Americans and Asians. So they
> claimed, Americans had a higher incidence of colon cancer from fatty
> foods. The Asians had a higher incidence of stomach cancer from rice.
>
> Can't say whether it was proven out in the medical journals of science.
>
> Andy

Andy, I thought that it was from soy sauce/salt. But, perhaps that was
esophagael cancer, not stomach.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Thu, 25 May 2006 20:07:12 -0500, modom wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 25 May 2006 13:56:14 -0500, Steve Wertz
>> > wrote:

>>> Pickled pigs feet and surstromming.

>> You left out beer.

> You can't drink carbonated beverages with surstromming. You'll
> explode.
>
> -sw

Doesn't matter WHAT you drink, you'll explode anyway.
I'll admit I've never eaten it, but I was 10 feet away when our host
opened a can of surstromming on the back patio (his wife's stipulation)
and you never saw a crowd clear out so fast. Everyone who wasn't trying
to be a macho hero quickly decided they MUST investigate the FRONT yard.
OMG, that stuff reeked!

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote in message

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
> . uk...
>>
>> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote in message
>>> It's in your lap, dear heart. :-)

>> LOL eeehh yer a mucky lot
>>

> Mucky?

Mucky lad = dirty boy))))))

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 May 2006 19:26:08 GMT, Puester >
wrote:

>Steve Wertz wrote:
>> On Thu, 25 May 2006 20:07:12 -0500, modom wrote:
>>
>>> On Thu, 25 May 2006 13:56:14 -0500, Steve Wertz

>>> You left out beer.

>> You can't drink carbonated beverages with surstromming. You'll
>> explode.
>>
>> -sw

>Doesn't matter WHAT you drink, you'll explode anyway.
>I'll admit I've never eaten it, but I was 10 feet away when our host
>opened a can of surstromming on the back patio (his wife's stipulation)
>and you never saw a crowd clear out so fast. Everyone who wasn't trying
>to be a macho hero quickly decided they MUST investigate the FRONT yard.
>OMG, that stuff reeked!
>
>gloria p

http://www.svensson.com/norge/sur1.htm

Svensson recommends beer, but he also recommends taking a deep breath
of the vapors as the can is opened.
--
modom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>> . uk...

>>> LOL eeehh yer a mucky lot
>>>

>> Mucky?

> Mucky lad = dirty boy))))))

Thank you. I'm proud of being so.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Puester wrote:
> Doesn't matter WHAT you drink, you'll explode anyway.
> I'll admit I've never eaten it, but I was 10 feet away when our host
> opened a can of surstromming on the back patio (his wife's stipulation)
> and you never saw a crowd clear out so fast. Everyone who wasn't trying
> to be a macho hero quickly decided they MUST investigate the FRONT yard.
> OMG, that stuff reeked!

Is this the stuff that builds up pressure so that a can of it is more
spherical than cylindrical?

--Blair

Posted to rec.food.cooking

projectile vomit chick > wrote:

>I would imagine that the answer would be bread or some variation, or
>some sort of grain.

I totally agree that taken as a group, domesticated grasses
(including wheat, rice, and corn) are the most famous in
terms of their effect on history, anthropology, and civilization.

Which of these three is most important is highly regional,
but since wheat was domesticated 2000 or 3000 years before
rice (as long ago as 8000 years B.C.), and was a critical part of
the very earliest human civilizations, I'd have to give
wheat (and by extension, wheat bread) the nod as the most
famous food ever.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote in message

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>
>> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>> . uk...

>>> Mucky?

>> Mucky lad = dirty boy))))))
>>

> Thank you. I'm proud of being so.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> I remember a statistic from some TV news show decades ago that drew
> comparisons about different cancers between Americans and Asians. So they
> claimed, Americans had a higher incidence of colon cancer from fatty
> foods. The Asians had a higher incidence of stomach cancer from rice.

Wasn't it the Kimchi? Perhaps also the hot spices. In China the poor eat
dishes that are only roasted chillis.

Music, Recipes, Photos, and mo

http://www.sequoiagrove.dk

"You don´t frighten us, English pig-dogs! Go and boil your bottoms, sons
of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called Arthur-king, you and
all your silly English kaniggets. Thppppt!"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

neo wrote:
> Which food?

The most famous food in trhe world is breast milk.

Sheldon