Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Defrosting turkey

I have a turkey that's about twelve pounds, which I took out of the freezer on
Sunday (three days ago) to cook tomorrow, Thursday. Our freezer freezes things
rock solid. The turkey has been in the refrigerator since Sunday and still feels
firm like it's still partially frozen. Anything I can do between now and
tomorrow to safely speed things up? Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

put it in the sink and run cold water over it filling the sink as full
as you can. change the water every now and then as it will get pretty
cold from the frozen turkey.

Grizzman

> wrote:
> I have a turkey that's about twelve pounds, which I took out of the freezer on
> Sunday (three days ago) to cook tomorrow, Thursday. Our freezer freezes things
> rock solid. The turkey has been in the refrigerator since Sunday and still feels
> firm like it's still partially frozen. Anything I can do between now and
> tomorrow to safely speed things up? Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Get a food-safe 5-gallon pail. Clean thoroughly.
Place bucket in sink.
Place turkey in bucket.
Turn on a thin stream of cold (NOT hot!) water, allow it to run onto
the turkey. (If the bucket is tall, might have to use the sprayer with
a rubber band on the lever.)
Check every hour or so.

Our sink has a divider between the basins that is lower than the top of
the sink. So I just clean one basin thoroughly, put the turkey in the
sink, turn on the water.

If the stream of water can be directed into the cavity of the turkey,
so much the better. That's the last to thaw.

Or just put the turkey in the bucket, fill with cold water, change it
every half hour or so.

Best -- Terry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

You have a great opportunity. Brine cure it overnight out of the
refrigerator. That will defrost it and cure it!
It will be much better than if it was thawed alone. NG alt.food.barbecue is
loaded with brine recipes. Use about 1.5oz salt/quart and 2oz sugar/quart of
water in your brine, and your favorite assertive seasonings. i.e. allspice,
clove, pepper flakes, etc. The subtle more delicate spices don't add much.
Kent