Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pimento stuffed olives

WHY?
This practice doesn't seem to be a flavour thing.
Is it just for the color or is there some traditional reason?
Inquiring minds need to know.

Ken.

--
Volunteer your idle computer time for cancer research
http//www.grid.org/download/gold/download.htm

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ken Davey wrote:
> WHY?
> This practice doesn't seem to be a flavour thing.
> Is it just for the color or is there some traditional reason?
> Inquiring minds need to know.

The pimento is mostly a garnish to hide the "obscene" hole of a pitted
olive.

And the pitted olive needed support or they'd crush when crammed
elaborately into jars... the pimento made an attractive and inexpensive
garnish, had a neutral flavor, didn't detract texturally, plus was a
good supportive filler, so the concept stuck whether fancily packed or
just dumped in a jar. Of course these days it's rare to find olives
stuffed with real pimento. And that's how the pimento became the olive
implant.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ken Davey wrote:
> WHY?
> This practice doesn't seem to be a flavour thing.
> Is it just for the color or is there some traditional reason?
> Inquiring minds need to know.
>
> Ken.

DH bought me some jalapeno and garlic stuffed beauties this week. I
can't get enough of them but I smell like a Mexican pizza...
-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

-L. wrote:
> Ken Davey wrote:
> > WHY?
> > This practice doesn't seem to be a flavour thing.
> > Is it just for the color or is there some traditional reason?
> > Inquiring minds need to know..

> DH bought me some jalapeno and garlic stuffed beauties this week.
> I can't get enough of them but I smell like a Mexican...

That's mean.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 21 May 2006 06:20:13p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it -L.?

> Ken Davey wrote:
>> WHY?
>> This practice doesn't seem to be a flavour thing.
>> Is it just for the color or is there some traditional reason?
>> Inquiring minds need to know.

I'd say color and the contrast of texture between the olive and pimiento.

One of my favorites is olives stuffed with almonds, particularly for the
texture.

> DH bought me some jalapeno and garlic stuffed beauties this week. I
> can't get enough of them but I smell like a Mexican pizza...
> -L.

Well, at least you don't *look* like a Mexican pizza. :-) I love the ones
with jalapeno.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"-L." > wrote:

> Ken Davey wrote:
> > WHY?
> > This practice doesn't seem to be a flavour thing.
> > Is it just for the color or is there some traditional reason?
> > Inquiring minds need to know.
> >
> > Ken.

> DH bought me some jalapeno and garlic stuffed beauties this week. I
> can't get enough of them but I smell like a Mexican pizza...
> -L.

I've also seen the almond stuffed.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Steve Wertz > wrote:

> On Sun, 21 May 2006 22:33:55 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
> > I've also seen the almond stuffed.

> Central Market has them all. I think the blue-cheese and feta
> stuffed olives are horrible, though. Cheese doesn't belong in an
> brined olive.
>
> Try the Anchovy-stuffed
>
> -sw

I dunno...
That sounds _awfully_ salty!

I buy the salad olives from HEB and dump out the brine, then re-fill the
jar with purified water and let sit overnight. Then I dump _that_ out
and do it again...... Then 24 hours after the second soak, I can finally
eat them. ;-)

Amazing how you literally lose your taste for really salty stuff when
you've gone low sodium for the most part for several years. I don't even
eat bacon on a regular basis and usually use it more as an ingredient,
like in a pot of black soybeans.

Thanks tho'!

Mozarella cheese is mild enough, I'll bet that would work.
I use olive coatings when I make cheese balls.
Usually the pre-minced black olives or I'll hand-chop a jar of debrined
and well drained salad olives.

Those sure went over well at the New Years party I went to. :-)
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Sun, 21 May 2006 22:33:55 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
> > I've also seen the almond stuffed.

> Central Market has them all. I think the blue-cheese and feta
> stuffed olives are horrible, though. Cheese doesn't belong in an
> brined olive.

I totally agree.

> Try the Anchovy-stuffed

Ewww.....anchovies are one thing I refuse to eat. I was terrorized
with an anchovy when I was little. No way.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

-L wrote:

> I was terrorized with an anchovy when I was little.

Googling for "terrorized with an anchovy" shows that that particular phrase
has never before appeared in any newsgroup which Google has archived.

Care to amplify on the incident?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> -L wrote:
>
> > I was terrorized with an anchovy when I was little.

> Googling for "terrorized with an anchovy" shows that that particular phrase
> has never before appeared in any newsgroup which Google has archived.
>
> Care to amplify on the incident?
>
> Bob

Ok...when I was about 4 or 5 my parents used to take us to a local
bar/restaurant to eat dinner. My Dad would go after work and sit at
the bar and my Mom would bring us down to join him for dinner. There
was one particular bartender there who was sort of weird - in
retrospect I think he may have had pedophilic/sadistic tendancies -
always made me feel uncomfortable. He would taunt me with anchovies -
shaking them in my face, telling me how good they were and slurping
them up in front of me - telling me they were just like candy. I had
no idea what an anchovy was. (I loved fish - was obsessed with them -
and when we went fishing would carry around the minnows like pets.)
Anyway, he eventually pressured me into eating one (I didn't really
want to but sort of felt I HAD to since this was an adult) - which of
course tasted horrible to me - and THEN told me it was a fish. I was
horrified. I don't know why my parents didn't tell this guy to fukoff,
but they never did. I'm almost 43 and still remember the horror of it,
so it must have been pretty bad.

-L.
(No anchovies for me, thanks...)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ken Davey wrote:

> WHY?
> This practice doesn't seem to be a flavour thing.
> Is it just for the color or is there some traditional reason?
> Inquiring minds need to know.
>
> Ken.
>
> --
> Volunteer your idle computer time for cancer research
> http//www.grid.org/download/gold/download.htm
> Return address courtesy of Spammotel http://www.spammotel.com/

Let me try to answer your question the best I can. Take a good look
at an olive, now take a good look at the size of the hole left when
the pit is taken out. That puppy just begs to be filled. The
tradition or custom to fill the olives was started way back before you
or I were born by either the Spanish or Greek olive growers as a mean
of selling more of their product. You can only imagine what sort of
foodstuff they used to stuff olives then: pimentos of course, figs,
almonds and other small nuts, etc.

Some of the stuffing was for color, but mostly for taste as the olives
were and still are used for cooking. Just recently have they been
used as a garnish for martinis and other drinks.

Hope this puts some insight on your question. Now go have an olive.

Ray
Austin, TX
===

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"-L." > wrote:

> Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> > -L wrote:
> >
> > > I was terrorized with an anchovy when I was little.

> > Googling for "terrorized with an anchovy" shows that that particular phrase
> > has never before appeared in any newsgroup which Google has archived.
> >
> > Care to amplify on the incident?
> >
> > Bob

> Ok...when I was about 4 or 5 my parents used to take us to a local
> bar/restaurant to eat dinner. My Dad would go after work and sit at
> the bar and my Mom would bring us down to join him for dinner. There
> was one particular bartender there who was sort of weird - in
> retrospect I think he may have had pedophilic/sadistic tendancies -
> always made me feel uncomfortable. He would taunt me with anchovies -
> shaking them in my face, telling me how good they were and slurping
> them up in front of me - telling me they were just like candy. I had
> no idea what an anchovy was. (I loved fish - was obsessed with them -
> and when we went fishing would carry around the minnows like pets.)
> Anyway, he eventually pressured me into eating one (I didn't really
> want to but sort of felt I HAD to since this was an adult) - which of
> course tasted horrible to me - and THEN told me it was a fish. I was
> horrified. I don't know why my parents didn't tell this guy to fukoff,
> but they never did. I'm almost 43 and still remember the horror of it,
> so it must have been pretty bad.
>
> -L.
> (No anchovies for me, thanks...)

That's just so sad..... :-(

While I don't care for anchovies straight up, (just TOO strong and
salty), I have developed an appreciation for using them as a flavoring.
Mashed and used in small amounts as a paste, they add a subtle but
excellent flavor to some dishes.

I prefer to make my own anchovy paste out of canned anchovies.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

"Bob Terwilliger" > schreef in bericht
> -L wrote:
>
>> I was terrorized with an anchovy when I was little.

> Googling for "terrorized with an anchovy" shows that that particular
> phrase has never before appeared in any newsgroup which Google has
> archived.
>
> Care to amplify on the incident?
>
> Bob

Surely you are familiar with Anchovy Anonimous?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman" > wrote in message

> Ken Davey wrote:
>
>> WHY?
>> This practice doesn't seem to be a flavour thing.
>> Is it just for the color or is there some traditional reason?
>> Inquiring minds need to know.
>>
>> Ken.
>>
>> --
>> Volunteer your idle computer time for cancer research
>> http//www.grid.org/download/gold/download.htm
>> Return address courtesy of Spammotel http://www.spammotel.com/

> Let me try to answer your question the best I can. Take a good look
> at an olive, now take a good look at the size of the hole left when
> the pit is taken out. That puppy just begs to be filled. The
> tradition or custom to fill the olives was started way back before you
> or I were born by either the Spanish or Greek olive growers as a mean
> of selling more of their product. You can only imagine what sort of
> foodstuff they used to stuff olives then: pimentos of course, figs,
> almonds and other small nuts, etc.
>
> Some of the stuffing was for color, but mostly for taste as the olives
> were and still are used for cooking. Just recently have they been
> used as a garnish for martinis and other drinks.
>
> Hope this puts some insight on your question. Now go have an olive.
>
> Ray
> Austin, TX
> ===

Why aren't pitted black olives stuffed?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jimbo1 wrote:

> Why aren't pitted black olives stuffed?

Assuming by black olives you mean California Mission... those are very
mild flavored and packed in what's essentially plain water, so are
intended to be stuffed yourself after draining... cream cheese works if
one is so inclined. But generally California Mission olives are used
plain, whole or sliced, as a garnish/condiment. Also California
Mission olives are not generally available outside the US.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jimbo1 wrote:

> "Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman" > wrote in message
> >

> > Ken Davey wrote:
> >
> >> WHY?
> >> This practice doesn't seem to be a flavour thing.
> >> Is it just for the color or is there some traditional reason?
> >> Inquiring minds need to know.
> >>
> >> Ken.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Volunteer your idle computer time for cancer research
> >> http//www.grid.org/download/gold/download.htm
> >> Return address courtesy of Spammotel http://www.spammotel.com/

> > Let me try to answer your question the best I can. Take a good look
> > at an olive, now take a good look at the size of the hole left when
> > the pit is taken out. That puppy just begs to be filled. The
> > tradition or custom to fill the olives was started way back before you
> > or I were born by either the Spanish or Greek olive growers as a mean
> > of selling more of their product. You can only imagine what sort of
> > foodstuff they used to stuff olives then: pimentos of course, figs,
> > almonds and other small nuts, etc.
> >
> > Some of the stuffing was for color, but mostly for taste as the olives
> > were and still are used for cooking. Just recently have they been
> > used as a garnish for martinis and other drinks.
> >
> > Hope this puts some insight on your question. Now go have an olive.
> >
> > Ray
> > Austin, TX
> > ===
> >

> Why aren't pitted black olives stuffed?

Take a look at Sheldon's response. However, there are over ???? varieties
of olives and from as many lands, some are used strictly for cooking, others
for appearance, etc., so how they are prepared depends on where they are
from and what they are going to be used for. And yet there are other
varieties that are only used for their oil.

Ray
Austin, TX
===

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> Jimbo1 wrote:
> >
> > Why aren't pitted black olives stuffed?

> Assuming by black olives you mean California Mission... those are very
> mild flavored and packed in what's essentially plain water, so are
> intended to be stuffed yourself after draining... cream cheese works if
> one is so inclined. But generally California Mission olives are used
> plain, whole or sliced, as a garnish/condiment. Also California
> Mission olives are not generally available outside the US.
>
> Sheldon

Sheldon,
Thanks for the lifesaver, I was grasping for something, but you were there
- thanks.

Cheers,

Ray
Austin, TX
===

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
>
> > Jimbo1 wrote:
> > >
> > > Why aren't pitted black olives stuffed?

> > Assuming by black olives you mean California Mission... those are very
> > mild flavored and packed in what's essentially plain water, so are
> > intended to be stuffed yourself after draining... cream cheese works if
> > one is so inclined. But generally California Mission olives are used
> > plain, whole or sliced, as a garnish/condiment. Also California
> > Mission olives are not generally available outside the US.
> >
> > Sheldon

> Sheldon,
> Thanks for the lifesaver, I was grasping for something, but you were there
> - thanks.

I neglected to mention another important consideration, California
Mission olives are sold in cans, no one sees the actual olive until
they open the can, so stuffing toi enhance the product visually as is
done for those sold in glass is a moot topic.

Btw, I'm a mar2ni drinker and I don't like when the bar uses olives
stuffed with pimentos, in fact I want a small olive with the pit intact
and only one... I don't want anything taking up space in my glass
except the booze. I usually ask that they serve me olives on the
side... experienced bar keeps will stab a half dozen olives on a skewer
and lay it across the rim of the glass.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ken Davey wrote:

> WHY?
> This practice doesn't seem to be a flavour thing.
> Is it just for the color or is there some traditional reason?
> Inquiring minds need to know.

Probably just for presentation. There are many brands selling jars of
anchovies wrapped around an olive or bit of red bell pepper or caper, and
that's is not just for presentation
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>> Central Market has them all. I think the blue-cheese
>> and feta stuffed olives are horrible, though. Cheese
>> doesn't belong in an brined olive.

> I totally agree.

I did agree too, until I found this shop in my town where a couple from
Puglia (south east Italy) sells many products from theyr region. One thing I
have seen only in that shop are the two big jars where they hold 2 similar
concoctions, the difference is in the hot peppers: one has much, and is hot,
while the other hasn't. The concoction base is extra virgin olive oil, young
pecorino cheese crumbled (sometimes it's chevre), dark pugliese olives and
dry tomatoes. It looks damn greasy, one thinks "if I dress a dish of pasta
with that, I'd have to run 30miles to burn it", and it's probably true,
but... a ladle of this magic on smoking, freshly cooked pasta is a real
treat. I cooked linguine and soon tossed them in a large skillet with the
dressing, sauteed for a minute on high fire and served myself and relatives
one of the best pasta I remember. But I would bet my @## that a seasoned
pecorino, or a grand or parmigiano would not fit in it. On the pasta dish,
grated parmigiano was perfect, but I can't imagine grated parmigiano
sleeping in olive oil for weeks.
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Black olives = kalamata olives? Jim Elbrecht General Cooking 54 18-04-2013 12:33 AM
stuffed olives Grawun General Cooking 8 30-11-2008 11:20 PM
anchovy-stuffed olives blake murphy General Cooking 21 14-07-2007 07:25 PM
ACEITUNAS RELLENAS - STUFFED OLIVES A1 WBarfieldsr Mexican Cooking 1 03-10-2003 02:36 PM