Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Couscous with Quick Preserved Lemon

Couscous with Quick Preserved Lemon
Recipe courtesy Michael Chiarello

6 cups large pearl couscous
Water
2 cups roughly chopped cilantro leaves

Quick Preserved Lemon:
4 lemons, sliced in 1/4-inch slices
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

If the couscous is instant, follow the instructions on the packet.

For non-instant couscous, place the couscous into a large bowl. Fill a
stock pot or large pasta pot 3/4 of the way with water. Bring water to
a boil. Pour the couscous into the boiling water and stir. Cook for 7
to 8 minutes until the couscous is tender. Drain the couscous and toss
in preserved lemon and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper.

Quick preserved lemon: Slice 2 lemons into 1/4-inch slices, lay out on
a plate and salt on 1 side. Turn over and salt the other. Stack on top
of themselves and let sit for 20 minutes in a baking dish. Rinse
gently with cold water and dice into 1/2-inch pieces.

--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>Quick preserved lemon: Slice 2 lemons into 1/4-inch slices, lay out on
>a plate and salt on 1 side. Turn over and salt the other. Stack on top
>of themselves and let sit for 20 minutes in a baking dish. Rinse
>gently with cold water and dice into 1/2-inch pieces.

ROTFL!

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 May 2006 16:46:42 +1000, Old Mother Ashby wrote:

> sf wrote:
>
> >Quick preserved lemon: Slice 2 lemons into 1/4-inch slices, lay out on
> >a plate and salt on 1 side. Turn over and salt the other. Stack on top
> >of themselves and let sit for 20 minutes in a baking dish. Rinse
> >gently with cold water and dice into 1/2-inch pieces.
> >

> ROTFL!
>
> Christine

I watched him do it on TV and it seemed simple enough. Haven't tried
it though. If you do, let me know how it turned out.

--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf <sfpipeline_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 21 May 2006 16:46:42 +1000, Old Mother Ashby wrote:

>> sf wrote:

>> >Quick preserved lemon: Slice 2 lemons into 1/4-inch slices, lay out on
>> >a plate and salt on 1 side. Turn over and salt the other. Stack on top
>> >of themselves and let sit for 20 minutes in a baking dish. Rinse
>> >gently with cold water and dice into 1/2-inch pieces.

>> ROTFL!

>I watched him do it on TV and it seemed simple enough. Haven't tried
>it though. If you do, let me know how it turned out.

I tried making the quick-preserved lemons once, and am sorry to
report the result was pretty dismal. They ended up with an off,
almost chemical smell.

Whereas ordinary preserved lemons, made from the same batch
of lemons, turned out excellent. I consider them a more or less
magic ingredient.

So if you need preserved lemon... plan ahead!

Steve