Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Greek Recipe - Spinach Cheese Tart - Spanakopites

SPANAKOPITES
(Spinach-Cheese tarts)

Qty Measurement Ingredient
----- -------------------
1/2 lb cream cheese, softened
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups all-purpose flour

FILLING:

----- --------------------
1 onion, finely chopped
3 Tbsps olive oil
1 pkg frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well
drained
1 tsp salt
1/4 lb feta cheese, crumbled
4 ozs cottage cheese
1 egg, beaten

TO MAKE THE PASTRY DOUGH: In a mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese and
butter; blend with fork. Cut in the flour. Work with hands until the dough
holds together.

Place on waxed paper, form into a ball, and chill overnight.

TO MAKE THE FILLING: In a skillet, saute the onion in the olive oil until
softhened. Add the spinach and salt. Cook over low heat until tender.

In another bowl, mix the feta and cottage cheese and the egg together.
Add
the spinach-onion mixture and blend well.

On a generously floured surface and using a floured rolling pin, roll out
the chilled dough until it is 1/3-inch thick. Using a 1-1/2 to 2-inch
cutter, cut the rolled out dough into rounds.

Place a little of the spinach filling on each round and fold over.
Mositen
the edges so the tart edges will hold together. Flute the edge with a fork
and prick the center of each tart.

On a greased baking sheet, place the tarts. Bake in a preheated 435
degrees F. oven for15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.

NOTE: Tarts make be frozen before baking.

Make about 100 small tarts.

VARIATION: Line an 8 by 8-inch pan with crust and pour in the filling. Top
with remaing crust and prick the crust with a fork.

Makes nine 2-inch squares.

Recipe: "Greek Gourmet Cooking" Published by Greek Festival -- Annunciation
Greek Orthodox Chathedral, 3511 Yoakum Boulevard, Houston, Texas
77006. October 1976.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I've never seen Spanakopita made with a dough. I wouldn't envision it
being a cream cheese dough, either. Too rich.

I've always had it layered with phyllo.

Is it good this way?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jude" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> I've never seen Spanakopita made with a dough. I wouldn't envision it
> being a cream cheese dough, either. Too rich.
>
> I've always had it layered with phyllo.
>
> Is it good this way?

This recipe is for a tart. I imagine that Phyllo was not considered to be
practical by this cook. I thought this variation
might interesting though, so I typed it in.

Most pie dough made with cream cheese that I have tried in the past were
good.

David