FoodBanter.com

-   -   Fava bean substitute? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/91829-fava-bean-substitute.html)

Frank Warner 19-05-2006 07:47 PM

Fava bean substitute?

I have a recipe that calls for fava beans, which I have never cooked or
eaten before, and which I don't remember seeing in local markets.

The beans are acting more like a garnish than an ingredient in this
dish, so, what would be an acceptable substitute? I'm told that fava
beans are members of the pea family. Snow peas? Green beans? Lima or
wax beans? I'm just looking for something more common in case I can't
find favas in the morning.

-Frank

--
Here's some of my work:
http://www.franksknives.com/

JoeSpareBedroom 19-05-2006 08:53 PM

Fava bean substitute?

"Frank Warner" > wrote in message
. ..
>I have a recipe that calls for fava beans, which I have never cooked or
> eaten before, and which I don't remember seeing in local markets.
>
> The beans are acting more like a garnish than an ingredient in this
> dish, so, what would be an acceptable substitute? I'm told that fava
> beans are members of the pea family. Snow peas? Green beans? Lima or
> wax beans? I'm just looking for something more common in case I can't
> find favas in the morning.
>
> -Frank

It might help to know the details of the dish, Frank. Fava beans are shaped
like limas, with a similar consistency inside, but darker flavor.

Chibiabos 19-05-2006 09:14 PM

Fava bean substitute?

In article >, JoeSpareBedroom
> wrote:

> "Frank Warner" > wrote in message
> . ..
> >I have a recipe that calls for fava beans, which I have never cooked or
> > eaten before, and which I don't remember seeing in local markets.
> >
> > The beans are acting more like a garnish than an ingredient in this
> > dish, so, what would be an acceptable substitute? I'm told that fava
> > beans are members of the pea family. Snow peas? Green beans? Lima or
> > wax beans? I'm just looking for something more common in case I can't
> > find favas in the morning.
> >
> > -Frank

> It might help to know the details of the dish, Frank. Fava beans are shaped
> like limas, with a similar consistency inside, but darker flavor.

Right. Bon Appetit magazine, June 2006, Page 124. Tuna & Fava Crostini.
The favas are blanched, skinned, oiled, and 3 or so are placed atop a
tuna mixture spread on toasted baguette slices.

-Frank

JoeSpareBedroom 19-05-2006 09:20 PM

Fava bean substitute?

"Chibiabos" > wrote in message
> In article >, JoeSpareBedroom
> > wrote:
>
>> "Frank Warner" > wrote in message
>> . ..
>> >I have a recipe that calls for fava beans, which I have never cooked or
>> > eaten before, and which I don't remember seeing in local markets.
>> >
>> > The beans are acting more like a garnish than an ingredient in this
>> > dish, so, what would be an acceptable substitute? I'm told that fava
>> > beans are members of the pea family. Snow peas? Green beans? Lima or
>> > wax beans? I'm just looking for something more common in case I can't
>> > find favas in the morning.
>> >
>> > -Frank

>> It might help to know the details of the dish, Frank. Fava beans are
>> shaped
>> like limas, with a similar consistency inside, but darker flavor.

> Right. Bon Appetit magazine, June 2006, Page 124. Tuna & Fava Crostini.
> The favas are blanched, skinned, oiled, and 3 or so are placed atop a
> tuna mixture spread on toasted baguette slices.
>
> -Frank

I've had that recipe in my file for years - they published it back in the
1990s, too. Tough substitution. Think of a large lima bean. Favas are 2-3
times that size, and medium-brown in color. So much for the visual. I'd say
to hell with color, and go with one of the canned white beans, the bigger,
the better. Maybe simmer them with the canning liquid very briefly with
something to darken the flavor. A little bit of oregano, I think. You might
also find canned fava beans, by the way.

Nancy Young[_1_] 19-05-2006 09:40 PM

Fava bean substitute?

"Frank Warner" > wrote

> The beans are acting more like a garnish than an ingredient in this
> dish, so, what would be an acceptable substitute? I'm told that fava
> beans are members of the pea family. Snow peas? Green beans? Lima or
> wax beans? I'm just looking for something more common in case I can't
> find favas in the morning.

Can you find lupini beans?

nancy

Frank Warner 19-05-2006 09:51 PM

Fava bean substitute?

In article >, JoeSpareBedroom
> wrote:

> "Chibiabos" > wrote in message
> > In article >, JoeSpareBedroom
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> "Frank Warner" > wrote in message
> >> . ..

> >> It might help to know the details of the dish, Frank. Fava beans are
> >> shaped
> >> like limas, with a similar consistency inside, but darker flavor.

> > Right. Bon Appetit magazine, June 2006, Page 124. Tuna & Fava Crostini.
> > The favas are blanched, skinned, oiled, and 3 or so are placed atop a
> > tuna mixture spread on toasted baguette slices.
> >
> > -Frank

> I've had that recipe in my file for years - they published it back in the
> 1990s, too. Tough substitution. Think of a large lima bean. Favas are 2-3
> times that size, and medium-brown in color. So much for the visual. I'd say
> to hell with color, and go with one of the canned white beans, the bigger,
> the better. Maybe simmer them with the canning liquid very briefly with
> something to darken the flavor. A little bit of oregano, I think. You might
> also find canned fava beans, by the way.

Thanks much for the input. It gives me a place to start.

Thanks also for avoiding the Hannibal Lecter reference. :)

-Frank

--
Here's some of my work:
http://www.franksknives.com/

Bob Terwilliger[_1_] 20-05-2006 02:30 AM

Fava bean substitute?

Frank wrote:

> The beans are acting more like a garnish than an ingredient in this
> dish, so, what would be an acceptable substitute? I'm told that fava
> beans are members of the pea family. Snow peas? Green beans? Lima or
> wax beans? I'm just looking for something more common in case I can't
> find favas in the morning.

Edamame are sometimes substituted for fava beans.

Bob

Sheldon 20-05-2006 03:03 AM

Fava bean substitute?

Frank Warner wrote:
> I have a recipe that calls for fava beans, which I have never cooked or
> eaten before, and which I don't remember seeing in local markets.
>
> The beans are acting more like a garnish than an ingredient in this
> dish, so, what would be an acceptable substitute? I'm told that fava
> beans are members of the pea family. Snow peas? Green beans? Lima or
> wax beans? I'm just looking for something more common in case I can't
> find favas in the morning.

If the beans are a garnish you can use any beans or don't use beans at
all... a few hard cooked egg slices would probably substitute just
fine, maybe an improvement. So what is this dish that calls for a fava
bean garnish... I'm guessing it's not a bowl of corn flakes.

Sheldon

guido 20-05-2006 06:14 AM

Fava bean substitute?

"Frank Warner" > ha scritto nel messaggio
. ..
>I have a recipe that calls for fava beans, which I have never cooked or
> eaten before, and which I don't remember seeing in local markets.

I'd go for lima beans, sometimes called (at least here in Italy) white
spanish beans
Cannellini beans have a very similar taste as well
Guido
http://www.yummyfood.net
Quick and easy international recipes

JoeSpareBedroom 20-05-2006 03:59 PM

Fava bean substitute?

"Frank Warner" > wrote in message
. ..
> In article >, JoeSpareBedroom
> > wrote:
>
>> "Chibiabos" > wrote in message
>> > In article >, JoeSpareBedroom

>> > Right. Bon Appetit magazine, June 2006, Page 124. Tuna & Fava Crostini.
>> > The favas are blanched, skinned, oiled, and 3 or so are placed atop a
>> > tuna mixture spread on toasted baguette slices.
>> >
>> > -Frank

>> I've had that recipe in my file for years - they published it back in the
>> 1990s, too. Tough substitution. Think of a large lima bean. Favas are 2-3
>> times that size, and medium-brown in color. So much for the visual. I'd
>> say
>> to hell with color, and go with one of the canned white beans, the
>> bigger,
>> the better. Maybe simmer them with the canning liquid very briefly with
>> something to darken the flavor. A little bit of oregano, I think. You
>> might
>> also find canned fava beans, by the way.

> Thanks much for the input. It gives me a place to start.
>
> Thanks also for avoiding the Hannibal Lecter reference. :)
>
> -Frank

I didn't even think of that!