Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default 4yr old Pinto Beans..cooking time?

Hi,

I have some Pinto beans that are about 4yrs old. I looked up and saw that
people state that they will keep for 10+ (to indefinitely) if stored in dry
area.

I also found that cooking times will increase for beans over a year old.

Well, I've been cooking these beans for a few hours now and they're still a
bit crunchy.

I have been pretty much simmering on low w/ cover. Should it be higher?

How long should I be looking to cook these suckers?

Thanks for any help :-D

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Glenn" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have some Pinto beans that are about 4yrs old. I looked up and saw that
> people state that they will keep for 10+ (to indefinitely) if stored in
> dry area.
>
> I also found that cooking times will increase for beans over a year old.
>
> Well, I've been cooking these beans for a few hours now and they're still
> a bit crunchy.
>
> I have been pretty much simmering on low w/ cover. Should it be higher?
>
> How long should I be looking to cook these suckers?

Another 3 years or so..

Sorry, couldn't resist

E.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

What elevation are you at?

If the beans are too old and you're in the high country,
they might not ever cook.

Did you pre-soak them?

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> What elevation are you at?
>
> If the beans are too old and you're in the high country,
> they might not ever cook.
>
> Did you pre-soak them?
>
> Steve

Yes, presoaked about 6 or so hours (wife took them out and started them this
morning).

We're at 2800ft outside of Kingman Az.

So they're not going to cook then?

Thanks for the help

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 18 May 2006 00:14:12 GMT, "Glenn" >
wrote:

>"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
>> What elevation are you at?
>>
>> If the beans are too old and you're in the high country,
>> they might not ever cook.
>>
>> Did you pre-soak them?
>>
>> Steve

>Yes, presoaked about 6 or so hours (wife took them out and started them this
>morning).
>
>We're at 2800ft outside of Kingman Az.
>
>So they're not going to cook then?
>
>Thanks for the help

They should have soaked a minimum of 8 hours, even better 24 hours.
So you may end up with bean mush.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Glenn" > wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have some Pinto beans that are about 4yrs old. I looked up and saw that
> people state that they will keep for 10+ (to indefinitely) if stored in dry
> area.
>
> I also found that cooking times will increase for beans over a year old.
>
> Well, I've been cooking these beans for a few hours now and they're still a
> bit crunchy.
>
> I have been pretty much simmering on low w/ cover. Should it be higher?
>
> How long should I be looking to cook these suckers?
>
> Thanks for any help :-D

Pressure cook for 20 to 30 minutes. ;-)
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thanks to all the replied...

Sorry for not getting back until now. I have a relatively new PC and
the Outlook program, in the middle of this thread, decided that I
needed to register it for me to continue using it! Ugh!

Anyway, have a new newsreader now and just wanted to update.

I ended up feeding some of the beans to our dogs and composting the
rest. As one person stated that our elavation combined with the age of
the beans could conspire to make the beans bad. After several (at
least 4, possibly 6, can't recall) hours of cooking, the pinto beans
were still crunchy

Thanks again for replies

~Glenn

On Wed, 17 May 2006 21:10:24 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> wrote:

>In article >,
> "Glenn" > wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have some Pinto beans that are about 4yrs old. I looked up and saw that
>> people state that they will keep for 10+ (to indefinitely) if stored in dry
>> area.
>>
>> I also found that cooking times will increase for beans over a year old.
>>
>> Well, I've been cooking these beans for a few hours now and they're still a
>> bit crunchy.
>>
>> I have been pretty much simmering on low w/ cover. Should it be higher?
>>
>> How long should I be looking to cook these suckers?
>>
>> Thanks for any help :-D

>Pressure cook for 20 to 30 minutes. ;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 19 May 2006 20:24:11 GMT, Glenn >
wrote:
snipped
>"I ended up feeding some of the beans to our dogs"

Boy, that little foxpaw is going to come back and surprise you when
you least expect it. Don't blame it on the dog now

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Glenn" > wrote in message
> Thanks to all the replied...
>
> Sorry for not getting back until now. I have a relatively new PC and
> the Outlook program, in the middle of this thread, decided that I
> needed to register it for me to continue using it! Ugh!
>
> Anyway, have a new newsreader now and just wanted to update.
>
> I ended up feeding some of the beans to our dogs and composting the
> rest. As one person stated that our elavation combined with the age of
> the beans could conspire to make the beans bad. After several (at
> least 4, possibly 6, can't recall) hours of cooking, the pinto beans
> were still crunchy
>
> Thanks again for replies

Dried beans are one of the main reasons I bought a pressure cooker. I'm at a
higher elevation than you are, so it's even longer cooking here, and there's
a limit to how long I want to have a pot on the stove. And with the dry air
and elevation out to get me, I have to worry about the pot boiling dry, too.
With the pressure cooker, I can actually serve the beans the same day I
start cooking them. :-)

Donna

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pressure cooker, ok, gotcha!

Thanks again for the advice

On Sat, 20 May 2006 00:21:13 -0600, "D.Currie"
> wrote:

>"Glenn" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Thanks to all the replied...
>>
>> Sorry for not getting back until now. I have a relatively new PC and
>> the Outlook program, in the middle of this thread, decided that I
>> needed to register it for me to continue using it! Ugh!
>>
>> Anyway, have a new newsreader now and just wanted to update.
>>
>> I ended up feeding some of the beans to our dogs and composting the
>> rest. As one person stated that our elavation combined with the age of
>> the beans could conspire to make the beans bad. After several (at
>> least 4, possibly 6, can't recall) hours of cooking, the pinto beans
>> were still crunchy
>>
>> Thanks again for replies
>>

>Dried beans are one of the main reasons I bought a pressure cooker. I'm at a
>higher elevation than you are, so it's even longer cooking here, and there's
>a limit to how long I want to have a pot on the stove. And with the dry air
>and elevation out to get me, I have to worry about the pot boiling dry, too.
>With the pressure cooker, I can actually serve the beans the same day I
>start cooking them. :-)
>
>Donna

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Herd wrote:
> On Thu, 18 May 2006 00:14:12 GMT, "Glenn" >
> wrote:
>

> >"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> >> What elevation are you at?
> >>
> >> If the beans are too old and you're in the high country,
> >> they might not ever cook.
> >>
> >> Did you pre-soak them?
> >>
> >> Steve

> >Yes, presoaked about 6 or so hours (wife took them out and started them this
> >morning).
> >
> >We're at 2800ft outside of Kingman Az.
> >
> >So they're not going to cook then?
> >
> >Thanks for the help
> >

> They should have soaked a minimum of 8 hours, even better 24 hours.
> So you may end up with bean mush.

But then you can take the mush and fry it in lard or extra light olive
oil, and it'll turn out lovely. I love pintos.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Glenn wrote:

> I have some Pinto beans that are about 4yrs old. I looked up and saw that
> people state that they will keep for 10+ (to indefinitely) if stored in dry
> area.
>
> I also found that cooking times will increase for beans over a year old.
>
> Well, I've been cooking these beans for a few hours now and they're still a
> bit crunchy.
>
> I have been pretty much simmering on low w/ cover. Should it be higher?
>
> How long should I be looking to cook these suckers?

Simmering in what?

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 26 May 2006 06:40:24 -0700, "Sheldon" > wrote:

>Glenn wrote:
>>
>> I have some Pinto beans that are about 4yrs old. I looked up and saw that
>> people state that they will keep for 10+ (to indefinitely) if stored in dry
>> area.
>>
>> I also found that cooking times will increase for beans over a year old.
>>
>> Well, I've been cooking these beans for a few hours now and they're still a
>> bit crunchy.
>>
>> I have been pretty much simmering on low w/ cover. Should it be higher?
>>
>> How long should I be looking to cook these suckers?

>Simmering in what?
>
>Sheldon

water
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Glenn wrote:
> On 26 May 2006 06:40:24 -0700, "Sheldon" > wrote:
>

> >Glenn wrote:
> >>
> >> I have some Pinto beans that are about 4yrs old. I looked up and saw that
> >> people state that they will keep for 10+ (to indefinitely) if stored in dry
> >> area.
> >>
> >> I also found that cooking times will increase for beans over a year old.
> >>
> >> Well, I've been cooking these beans for a few hours now and they're still a
> >> bit crunchy.
> >>
> >> I have been pretty much simmering on low w/ cover. Should it be higher?
> >>
> >> How long should I be looking to cook these suckers?

> >Simmering in what?
> >
> >Sheldon

> water

Hmm, for someone wordy as you that's an awfully clipped response, lower
case and all.... most normal folks would have seasoned the water, at
least added some garlic, onion, s n' p., let alone a ham hock, etc....
plain H2O, hmm, hmm, hmm.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> Glenn wrote:

>>> Simmering in what?
>>>
>>> Sheldon

>> water

> Hmm, for someone wordy as you that's an awfully clipped response, lower
> case and all.... most normal folks would have seasoned the water, at
> least added some garlic, onion, s n' p., let alone a ham hock, etc....
> plain H2O, hmm, hmm, hmm.
>
> Sheldon

minimalist.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> > Glenn wrote:

> >> water

> > Hmm, for someone wordy as you that's an awfully clipped response, lower
> > case and all.... most normal folks would have seasoned the water, at
> > least added some garlic, onion, s n' p., let alone a ham hock, etc....
> > plain H2O, hmm, hmm, hmm.

> minimalist

fabulist

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 17 May 2006 04:44:25p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Glenn?

> Hi,
>
> I have some Pinto beans that are about 4yrs old. I looked up and saw
> that people state that they will keep for 10+ (to indefinitely) if
> stored in dry area.
>
> I also found that cooking times will increase for beans over a year old.
>
> Well, I've been cooking these beans for a few hours now and they're
> still a bit crunchy.
>
> I have been pretty much simmering on low w/ cover. Should it be higher?
>
> How long should I be looking to cook these suckers?
>
> Thanks for any help :-D

While it's true that dried beans, properly stored, will keep for years,
cooking them does not always produce the most desirable result and the
texture may suffer.

Did you soak them? If so, in what and for how long? I would think not
less than 12-18 hours.

Cooking at a low simmer is probably best. Boiling them often results in
the beans falling apart, even if not tender. I would recommend plain water
with no additives for cooking.

If they were properly soaked, it may just be a matter of time and they may
vary considerably. There's no pat answer.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬