Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Jiffy Bread

A lot of people rag on Jiffy cornbread mix, but I used to love it. Now,
can't find it in the local supermarket... only the Raga muffin cornbread
mix.

Any recipes for replicating Jiffy cornbread?

TIA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

DWACON wrote:
> A lot of people rag on Jiffy cornbread mix, but I used to love it. Now,
> can't find it in the local supermarket... only the Raga muffin cornbread
> mix.
>
> Any recipes for replicating Jiffy cornbread?
>
> TIA

>From Cooks.com a recipe for Corn Muffin Mix:

http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,194,1...251206,00.html

-----

CORN BREAD MUFFIN MIX

4 c. unbleached flour
4 c. yellow corn meal
3/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. baking powder
1 c. vegetable shortening

Combine dry ingredients, stirring well. Cut in shortening
with pastry blender or fingers. Store in airtight container
in a cool dry place. Makes 10-12 cups of mix.

TO MAKE MUFFINS:

2 2/3 c. above mix
1 c. milk
1 egg

Beat egg and milk lightly. Stir into mix. Do not beat, it
will lump. Spoon in 12 greased muffin tins about 2/3 full.
Bake at 425 degrees for 15-20 minutes.

-----

A box of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix is 8.5-oz. The Nutritional Facts label
says a serving is 1/4 cup (1.5-oz) and there are 6 servings per
container. So there is about 1-1/2 cups of corn muffin mix per 8.5-oz
box.

When a recipe calls for a box of Jiffy Corn Muffin mix, use 1-1/2 cups
of the above corn muffin recipe mix.

http://www.jiffymix.com/
http://www.jiffymix.com/cornnutrition.htm

-Rusty

Posted to rec.food.cooking

DWACON wrote:
> A lot of people rag on Jiffy cornbread mix, but I used to love it.
> Now, can't find it in the local supermarket... only the Raga muffin
> cornbread mix.
>
> Any recipes for replicating Jiffy cornbread?
>
> TIA

I don't recall where you are located but in TN they sell Martha White
cornbread mix which is essentially the same product, just a different mfg.
When I've used Jiffy or the Martha White I always used buttermilk rather
than just a milk.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> DWACON wrote:
> > A lot of people rag on Jiffy cornbread mix, but I used to love it.
> > Now, can't find it in the local supermarket... only the Raga muffin
> > cornbread mix.
> >
> > Any recipes for replicating Jiffy cornbread?
> >
> > TIA

> I don't recall where you are located but in TN they sell Martha White
> cornbread mix which is essentially the same product, just a different mfg.
> When I've used Jiffy or the Martha White I always used buttermilk rather
> than just a milk.
>
> Jill

Hmmmmm. Must be my jaded taste buds but I always felt Jiffy sweeter
than Martha White and produced a finer crumb. I like Jiffy but always
used Martha White for dressings and stuffings. I'll try 'em again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

DWACON wrote:

> A lot of people rag on Jiffy cornbread mix, but I used to love it. Now,
> can't find it in the local supermarket... only the Raga muffin cornbread
> mix.
>
> Any recipes for replicating Jiffy cornbread?

Just google "cornbread recipe" and add some sugar to it to get the
Jiffy "effect"...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

DWACON wrote:
> A lot of people rag on Jiffy cornbread mix, but I used to love it. Now,
> can't find it in the local supermarket... only the Raga muffin cornbread
> mix.

Jiffy brand corn muffin mix is really *cornbread* mix... the sweet, no
corn flavor, no texture kind southerners favor... more like yaller
cupcakes. They may know what they like where cornbread is concerned
but when it comes to corn muffins southerners don't know diddly squat.

For corn muffin mixes this one is far superior: For a dozen jumbo
muffins I use five boxes... and still I add a 1/2 cup medium corn meal
as a flavor booster and for texture, makes it more like from scratch.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ance&n=3370831

Wasn't too many years ago I'd buy them at 20¢/box... but still
39¢/box by today's standards ain't too bad.

Washington brand Bran Muffin mix is pretty good too. I never tried
their Hot Muffin mix.. probably more of a generic muffin you need to
add stuff to, like blueberries, banana, nuts, etc.

Sheldon

Winco has Jiffy mixes! Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 60 05-02-2014 05:22 AM
Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix... jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 115 15-01-2013 03:54 AM
Jiffy White Cake Mix bryant.san Baking 2 02-11-2006 09:44 PM
Jiffy frosting recipe Keyser Soze Baking 1 12-07-2006 04:23 AM
Jiffy vs Bisquick Heidi General Cooking 10 10-01-2004 01:40 AM