Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ping: Om - we got eggs!

Well, it turns out that our pet "chicken" who wandered in and made
itself at home here is a rooster... heh heh heh heh. He is a very young
rooster, and we only realized it at the weekend, when he finally started
to crow! It also explains why we didn't see any eggs <giggle>. So we
went out today and got a couple of hens to keep him company. (Been
discussing it ever since you suggested it... and when he kept trying to
come into the house for "company" that made up our minds).

The two hens seem to have settled and are very happy in our yard - both
of them have already laid an egg each - eggs don't come much fresher
than that As for "Nadine" (who will henceforth be known as "Noddy") -
he's happy too. Been crowing proudly for the last half-hour. <laugh>

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

projectile vomit chick wrote:

> On Tue, 16 May 2006 15:46:20 +0200, in rec.food.cooking, Chatty Cathy
> > hit the crackpipe and declared:
>> Well, it turns out that our pet "chicken" who wandered in and made
>> itself at home here is a rooster... heh heh heh heh. He is a very young
>> rooster, and we only realized it at the weekend, when he finally started
>> to crow! It also explains why we didn't see any eggs <giggle>. So we
>> went out today and got a couple of hens to keep him company. (Been
>> discussing it ever since you suggested it... and when he kept trying to
>> come into the house for "company" that made up our minds).
>>
>> The two hens seem to have settled and are very happy in our yard - both
>> of them have already laid an egg each - eggs don't come much fresher
>> than that As for "Nadine" (who will henceforth be known as "Noddy") -
>> he's happy too. Been crowing proudly for the last half-hour. <laugh>

> Wow...sitting around watching chickens **** in the yard....don't get
> no fresher than that.....<snicker>

To quote a "local" advertisement:

"They taste so good, cos they *eat* so good".

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Chatty Cathy > wrote:

> Well, it turns out that our pet "chicken" who wandered in and made
> itself at home here is a rooster... heh heh heh heh. He is a very young
> rooster, and we only realized it at the weekend, when he finally started
> to crow! It also explains why we didn't see any eggs <giggle>. So we
> went out today and got a couple of hens to keep him company. (Been
> discussing it ever since you suggested it... and when he kept trying to
> come into the house for "company" that made up our minds).
>
> The two hens seem to have settled and are very happy in our yard - both
> of them have already laid an egg each - eggs don't come much fresher
> than that As for "Nadine" (who will henceforth be known as "Noddy") -
> he's happy too. Been crowing proudly for the last half-hour. <laugh>

You are _so_ going to love those eggs! :-)
The flavor of "free range" with the hens eating bugs and greens is so
much richer.

Save table scraps for them. They'll love ya.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> You are _so_ going to love those eggs! :-)
> The flavor of "free range" with the hens eating bugs and greens is so
> much richer.

Don't we know it!

> Save table scraps for them. They'll love ya.

Been doing that with the rooster - he loves lettuce scraps the most! He
has eaten sweet potato too. Apart from that, he eats the "weeds". He can
stay. We are turning into real farm people. Fresh... everything

On our travels today we found a dairy farm in our area that sells to the
"public" ... DH says we know where to get fresh milk from now, too.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> You are _so_ going to love those eggs! :-)
> The flavor of "free range" with the hens eating bugs and greens is so
> much richer.
>
> Peace!
> Om

I had been buying the organic or free range without antibiotics, hormones,
etc from the grocery store. (Lately Costco & BJ's started carrying the same
brand.

A couple of weeks ago at the farm where I'm going to be getting milk
starting June 1, I picked up some of their free range eggs.
There was noticeable difference between the two cartons.
For one thing, we had been frying our eggs in a skillet that could only be
made to smell non-eggy after washing by using vinegar to get the smell out.
These eggs after frying in the same skillet had none of this smell.

Yes, you are going to love those eggs!
I gar-on-tee-yah.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Randall wrote:
<snipped for space>

> Yes, you are going to love those eggs!
> I gar-on-tee-yah.

Dee, I usually buy "free-range" eggs, but they are not always available
in the stupid-markets. However, you are totally right in that the
free-range eggs always have better colored yolks, taste better etc.. We
are gonna enjoy them.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy > wrote in news:5oepj3-ppj.ln1
@foo.bar:

> Dee Randall wrote:
> <snipped for space>
>>
>> Yes, you are going to love those eggs!
>> I gar-on-tee-yah.

> Dee, I usually buy "free-range" eggs, but they are not always available
> in the stupid-markets. However, you are totally right in that the
> free-range eggs always have better colored yolks, taste better etc.. We
> are gonna enjoy them.

Someone's in the kitchen with Cathy
Someone's in the kitchen, I know, o-o-o
Someone's in the kitchen with Cathy
Strumming on the old banjo

Fee, fie, fiddle-i-o
Fee, fie, fiddle-i-o-o-o
Fee, fie, fiddle-i-o
Strumming on the old banjo

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
projectile vomit chick > wrote:

> On Tue, 16 May 2006 15:46:20 +0200, in rec.food.cooking, Chatty Cathy
> > hit the crackpipe and declared:
> >Well, it turns out that our pet "chicken" who wandered in and made
> >itself at home here is a rooster... heh heh heh heh. He is a very young
> >rooster, and we only realized it at the weekend, when he finally started
> >to crow! It also explains why we didn't see any eggs <giggle>. So we
> >went out today and got a couple of hens to keep him company. (Been
> >discussing it ever since you suggested it... and when he kept trying to
> >come into the house for "company" that made up our minds).
> >
> >The two hens seem to have settled and are very happy in our yard - both
> >of them have already laid an egg each - eggs don't come much fresher
> >than that As for "Nadine" (who will henceforth be known as "Noddy") -
> >he's happy too. Been crowing proudly for the last half-hour. <laugh>

> Wow...sitting around watching chickens **** in the yard....don't get
> no fresher than that.....<snicker>

Don't underestimate the entertainment value. ;-)
The average rooster copulates about every 20 minutes or so......

That's why recommended flock ratios are 5 to 10 hens per rooster.

I think it makes guys a bit jealous tho'. <G>
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Chatty Cathy > wrote:

> projectile vomit chick wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 16 May 2006 15:46:20 +0200, in rec.food.cooking, Chatty Cathy
> > > hit the crackpipe and declared:
> >> Well, it turns out that our pet "chicken" who wandered in and made
> >> itself at home here is a rooster... heh heh heh heh. He is a very young
> >> rooster, and we only realized it at the weekend, when he finally started
> >> to crow! It also explains why we didn't see any eggs <giggle>. So we
> >> went out today and got a couple of hens to keep him company. (Been
> >> discussing it ever since you suggested it... and when he kept trying to
> >> come into the house for "company" that made up our minds).
> >>
> >> The two hens seem to have settled and are very happy in our yard - both
> >> of them have already laid an egg each - eggs don't come much fresher
> >> than that As for "Nadine" (who will henceforth be known as "Noddy") -
> >> he's happy too. Been crowing proudly for the last half-hour. <laugh>

> > Wow...sitting around watching chickens **** in the yard....don't get
> > no fresher than that.....<snicker>

> To quote a "local" advertisement:
>
> "They taste so good, cos they *eat* so good".

Which "came" first, the chicken or the egg?

<smirk>
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Chatty Cathy > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>

> > You are _so_ going to love those eggs! :-)
> > The flavor of "free range" with the hens eating bugs and greens is so
> > much richer.

> Don't we know it!
> >
> > Save table scraps for them. They'll love ya.

> Been doing that with the rooster - he loves lettuce scraps the most! He
> has eaten sweet potato too. Apart from that, he eats the "weeds". He can
> stay. We are turning into real farm people. Fresh... everything
>
> On our travels today we found a dairy farm in our area that sells to the
> "public" ... DH says we know where to get fresh milk from now, too.

Oh that's awesome!
If it's not homogenized, you can try making your own butter if the cream
settles. :-)
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> Which "came" first, the chicken or the egg?
>
> <smirk>

ROFL. Dunno. but my money is on Noddy

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote in news:Omelet-
:

> Which "came" first, the chicken or the egg?

Under those circumstances, the rooster!

The egg of course came before the chicken in evolutionary terms.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy wrote:
> Well, it turns out that our pet "chicken" who wandered in and made
> itself at home here is a rooster... heh heh heh heh. He is a very young
> rooster, and we only realized it at the weekend, when he finally started
> to crow! It also explains why we didn't see any eggs <giggle>. So we
> went out today and got a couple of hens to keep him company. (Been
> discussing it ever since you suggested it... and when he kept trying to
> come into the house for "company" that made up our minds).
>
> The two hens seem to have settled and are very happy in our yard - both
> of them have already laid an egg each - eggs don't come much fresher
> than that As for "Nadine" (who will henceforth be known as "Noddy") -
> he's happy too. Been crowing proudly for the last half-hour. <laugh>

Of course he's crowing! He's finally getting some action!
-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> Which "came" first, the chicken or the egg?

I'm going to ignore the sexual inuendo...

The egg of course. Reptiles were laying eggs roughly 100 million
years before birds evolved...

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"-L." > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
> > Which "came" first, the chicken or the egg?
> >

> I'm going to ignore the sexual inuendo...
>
> The egg of course. Reptiles were laying eggs roughly 100 million
> years before birds evolved...
>
> -L.

There are rumors that some reptiles had feathers. ;-)
And that some are still around today.

Take a reeeeely close look at ratites sometime!
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Om - we got eggs!

Guy driving down a road at 40 mph looks out his side window and sees a
chicken running along side the car.

Guy speeds up to 50 mph and the chicken matches his speed.

Guy speeds up to 60 mph and the chicken continues to match his speed.

The chicken accelerates and makes a sharp left turn into a farmhouse
driveway. The guy drives into the driveway and sees a farmer sitting in a
rocking chair on the porch of the farmhouse.

Guy says to the farmer "Did you see that chicken race into your yard? He was
running along side my car at 60 mph."

Farmer says "Yep, that's a 3-legged chicken"

Guy incredulous says "A 3-legged chicken??"

Farmer says "Yep, we raise them here"

Guy says "How do they taste?"

Farmer says "Don't know, we can't catch'em"..

--
Sorry... I had to do that...
..

Chatty Cathy wrote:
> Well, it turns out that our pet "chicken" who wandered in and made
> itself at home here is a rooster... heh heh heh heh. He is a very
> young rooster, and we only realized it at the weekend, when he
> finally started to crow! It also explains why we didn't see any eggs
> <giggle>. So we went out today and got a couple of hens to keep him
> company. (Been discussing it ever since you suggested it... and when
> he kept trying to come into the house for "company" that made up our
> minds).
> The two hens seem to have settled and are very happy in our yard -
> both of them have already laid an egg each - eggs don't come much
> fresher than that As for "Nadine" (who will henceforth be known as
> "Noddy") - he's happy too. Been crowing proudly for the last
> half-hour. <laugh>
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> "A chicken and an egg are lying in bed. The chicken is smoking a
> cigarette with a satisfied smile on its face.
>
> The egg is frowning and looking a bit ****ed off.
>
> The egg mutters to no one in particular, "Well, I guess we answered THAT
> question!"

The chicken, to have laid an egg, must have been female, so where's the
problem?
MJ