Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bisquick Baking Mix Recipe?

Someone posted a recipe for a basic baking mix recipe that you could
use in place of bisquick. I don't particularly care for bisquick, but
have come across a couple recipes that use that type of mix, and wanted
to make up something of my own to use instead. Does anyone have that
recipe? I thought I had saved it. Thank you.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ranee Mueller wrote:

> Someone posted a recipe for a basic baking mix recipe that you could
> use in place of bisquick. I don't particularly care for bisquick, but
> have come across a couple recipes that use that type of mix, and wanted
> to make up something of my own to use instead. Does anyone have that
> recipe? I thought I had saved it. Thank you.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Bisquick Baking Mix

Recipe By :Todd Wilbur
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Condiments

4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 cup shortening

Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add shortening and
mix with an electric mixer on medium speed until all shortening
is blended with the flour. Keep sealed up in a container in your
pantry until needed.

Use the mix as you would the real thing by following directions
on the box (Or see Cooking Tips below).

This recipe yields 6 cups.

Cooking Tips: Here are recipes to help you make Pancakes,
Waffles and Biscuits using the cloned version of the mix as
you would the real thing.

Pancakes: Stir 2 cups Bisquick clone mix with 1 cup milk
and 2 eggs in a bowl until blended. Pour 1/4 cup portions
onto a hot griddle. Cook until edges are dry. Turn; cook
until golden. (Makes 14 pancakes)

Waffles: Stir 2 cups Bisquick clone mix with 1-1/3 cups
milk, 1 egg, and 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a bowl
until blended. Pour onto hot waffle iron. Bake until
the steaming stops. (Makes 12 (4-inch) waffles)

Biscuits: Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Stir 2 1/4 cups
Bisquick clone mix with 2/3 cup milk. When dough forms,
turn it out onto a surface sprinkle with extra mix.
Knead 10 times. Roll dough 1/2-inch thick. Cut with
2 1/2-inch cutter. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown.
(Makes 9 biscuits)

Source:
"Todd Wilbur's Top Secret Recipes at http://www.topsecretrecipes.com"

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

1 All purpose flour: 1 Cup
2 Baking powder (Double Action): 1/2 Tablespoon
3 Cream Of Tartar: 1/2 teaspoon
4 Confectioners Sugar (Powdered): 1 teaspoon
5 Table Salt: 1 teaspoon
6. Ghee or Vegetable Shortening: 2 Tablespoons and 2 teaspoons

Mix ingredients 1 through 5. Cut-in Shortening.

Yogi

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Reg wrote:
> Ranee Mueller wrote:
>
> > Someone posted a recipe for a basic baking mix recipe that you could
> > use in place of bisquick. I don't particularly care for bisquick, but
> > have come across a couple recipes that use that type of mix, and wanted
> > to make up something of my own to use instead. Does anyone have that
> > recipe? I thought I had saved it. Thank you.

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Bisquick Baking Mix
>
> Recipe By :Todd Wilbur
> Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories : Condiments

> 4 cups all-purpose flour
> 2 tablespoons baking powder
> 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
> 1 cup shortening

Only trashy people use hydrogenated vegetable shortening.

> Source:
> "Todd Wilbur's Top Secret Recipes at http://www.topsecretrecipes.com"
>
> --
> Reg

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Yogi Gupta wrote:
> 1 All purpose flour: 1 Cup
> 2 Baking powder (Double Action): 1/2 Tablespoon
> 3 Cream Of Tartar: 1/2 teaspoon
> 4 Confectioners Sugar (Powdered): 1 teaspoon
> 5 Table Salt: 1 teaspoon
> 6. Ghee or Vegetable Shortening: 2 Tablespoons and 2 teaspoons
>
> Mix ingredients 1 through 5. Cut-in Shortening.

Only trashy people use hydrogenated vegetable shortening.

> Yogi

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Food Snob wrote:

> Reg wrote:
>
>>* Exported from MasterCook *
>>
>> Bisquick Baking Mix
>>
>>Recipe By :Todd Wilbur
>>Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
>>Categories : Condiments
>>
>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>>-------- ------------ --------------------------------
>> 4 cups all-purpose flour
>> 2 tablespoons baking powder
>> 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
>> 1 cup shortening

> Only trashy people use hydrogenated vegetable shortening.

Yeah, I've heard. You repeat it ad nauseam. It's but
one of the reasons I normally ignore your banal posts.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Reg" > wrote:

> > Only trashy people use hydrogenated vegetable shortening.

> Yeah, I've heard. You repeat it ad nauseam. It's but
> one of the reasons I normally ignore your banal posts.

My mom was a fabulous baker and she used shortening all
the time.

This is just another food buggaboo of the month thing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:

> "Reg" > wrote:
>

>>>Only trashy people use hydrogenated vegetable shortening.

>>Yeah, I've heard. You repeat it ad nauseam. It's but
>>one of the reasons I normally ignore your banal posts.
>>

> My mom was a fabulous baker and she used shortening all
> the time.
>
> This is just another food buggaboo of the month thing.

I'd say it's more like "RFC Idiot of the Year" on Food
Snob's part.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 16 May 2006 09:43:41a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Reg?

> Food Snob wrote:
>
>> Reg wrote:
>>
>>>* Exported from MasterCook *
>>>
>>> Bisquick Baking Mix
>>>
>>>Recipe By :Todd Wilbur
>>>Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
>>>Categories : Condiments
>>>
>>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>>>-------- ------------ --------------------------------
>>> 4 cups all-purpose flour
>>> 2 tablespoons baking powder
>>> 1 1/2 teaspoons salt 1 cup shortening

>> Only trashy people use hydrogenated vegetable shortening.

> Yeah, I've heard. You repeat it ad nauseam. It's but
> one of the reasons I normally ignore your banal posts.

It's also the reason I have him killfiled.

--

Wayne Boatwright

"How can a nation be great if it's bread taste like Kleenex?"

Julia Child
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Reg wrote:
> Food Snob wrote:
>
>> Reg wrote:
>>
>>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>>
>>> Bisquick Baking Mix
>>>
>>> 4 cups all-purpose flour
>>> 2 tablespoons baking powder
>>> 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
>>> 1 cup shortening

>> Only trashy people use hydrogenated vegetable shortening.

> Yeah, I've heard. You repeat it ad nauseam. It's but
> one of the reasons I normally ignore your banal posts.

Apparently only trashy people eat leftovers, too, or ever freeze something
they've cooked to eat another day. Food Snob is just another Food Fool, as
far as I can tell.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Yogi Gupta" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>1 All purpose flour: 1 Cup
> 2 Baking powder (Double Action): 1/2 Tablespoon
> 3 Cream Of Tartar: 1/2 teaspoon
> 4 Confectioners Sugar (Powdered): 1 teaspoon
> 5 Table Salt: 1 teaspoon
> 6. Ghee or Vegetable Shortening: 2 Tablespoons and 2 teaspoons
>
> Mix ingredients 1 through 5. Cut-in Shortening.
>
> Yogi

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Basic Baking Mix

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 1
Cuisine:
Main Ingredient:
Categories: Quickbreads, Master_mix

-= Ingredients =-
9 c Flour
1 lb Shortening
4 tb Baking powder
1 tb Salt

-= Instructions =-
This is best made in a food processor, but can be done by hand. In
processor, just throw everything in; process just enough to make a
crumbly mixture. By hand, put flour, salt and baking powder in a large
bowl and mix. Add shortening and blend in with pastry blender or knives.
Keep in airtight container away from heat. Use in any bisquik or baking
mix recipes. MM BY H. PEAGRAM

** This recipe can be pasted into BigOven without retyping. **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

--
CHI-MUM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Tue 16 May 2006 09:43:41a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Reg?
>
> > Food Snob wrote:

> >> Only trashy people use hydrogenated vegetable shortening.

> > Yeah, I've heard. You repeat it ad nauseam. It's but
> > one of the reasons I normally ignore your banal posts.
> >

> It's also the reason I have him killfiled.

Killfiled by an old fart.

> Wayne Boatwright
> __________________________________________________ ___________
>
> "How can a nation be great if it's bread taste like Kleenex?"
>
> Julia Child

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

projectile vomit chick wrote:
> On Tue, 16 May 2006 12:48:33 -0500, in rec.food.cooking, "jmcquown"
> > hit the crackpipe and declared:
> >Reg wrote:

> >> Yeah, I've heard. You repeat it ad nauseam. It's but
> >> one of the reasons I normally ignore your banal posts.

> >Apparently only trashy people eat leftovers, too, or ever freeze something
> >they've cooked to eat another day. Food Snob is just another Food Fool, as
> >far as I can tell.

And you've got a lot of credibility.

> Well said.

As do you, and you're every bit as much the asshole as I.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

thanks for mentioning the short cut.......................

--

http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?pi...zZqobjFZuHy3Su

"CHI-MUM" > wrote in message

> "Yogi Gupta" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>>1 All purpose flour: 1 Cup
>> 2 Baking powder (Double Action): 1/2 Tablespoon
>> 3 Cream Of Tartar: 1/2 teaspoon
>> 4 Confectioners Sugar (Powdered): 1 teaspoon
>> 5 Table Salt: 1 teaspoon
>> 6. Ghee or Vegetable Shortening: 2 Tablespoons and 2 teaspoons
>>
>> Mix ingredients 1 through 5. Cut-in Shortening.
>>
>> Yogi
>>

> -= Exported from BigOven =-
>
> Basic Baking Mix
>
> Recipe By:
> Serving Size: 1
> Cuisine:
> Main Ingredient:
> Categories: Quickbreads, Master_mix
>
> -= Ingredients =-
> 9 c Flour
> 1 lb Shortening
> 4 tb Baking powder
> 1 tb Salt
>
> -= Instructions =-
> This is best made in a food processor,

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Reg > wrote:

> Bisquick Baking Mix

Thank you Reg and everyone else who posted your suggestions. I can
try these to see how they work. If I stored it in the fridge, could I
get away with using butter for the fat?

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ranee Mueller wrote:

> In article >,
> Reg > wrote:
>

>> Bisquick Baking Mix

> Thank you Reg and everyone else who posted your suggestions. I can
> try these to see how they work. If I stored it in the fridge, could I
> get away with using butter for the fat?

Absolutely. Butter has much more flavor, but the results might
not be quite as flaky. It's a trade off.

Some use equal amounts of each. All things considered, I use
butter. I love the flavor.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "Reg" > wrote:
> > >

> > > Only trashy people use hydrogenated vegetable shortening.

> > Yeah, I've heard. You repeat it ad nauseam. It's but
> > one of the reasons I normally ignore your banal posts.
> >

> My mom was a fabulous baker and she used shortening all
> the time.

Your mom gave birth to a stupid child.

> This is just another food buggaboo of the month thing.

It causes heart disease you ****ing idiot. Even the uber conservative
FDA says that there is no safe level for trans-fats.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Food Snob" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> cybercat wrote:

> > > Yeah, I've heard. You repeat it ad nauseam. It's but
> > > one of the reasons I normally ignore your banal posts.
> > >

> > My mom was a fabulous baker and she used shortening all
> > the time.

> Your mom gave birth to a stupid child.
> >
> > This is just another food buggaboo of the month thing.
> >

> It causes heart disease you ****ing idiot. Even the uber conservative
> FDA says that there is no safe level for trans-fats.
>
> --Bryan

If you keep talking to me like that, people will think we are sleeping
together.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "cybercat" >
wrote:

> "Food Snob" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > cybercat wrote:

> > > My mom was a fabulous baker and she used shortening all
> > > the time.

> > Your mom gave birth to a stupid child.
> > >
> > > This is just another food buggaboo of the month thing.
> > >

> > It causes heart disease you ****ing idiot. Even the uber conservative
> > FDA says that there is no safe level for trans-fats.
> >
> > --Bryan
> >

> If you keep talking to me like that, people will think we are sleeping
> together.

<lol>
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Food Snob" > wrote

> > My mom was a fabulous baker and she used shortening all
> > the time.

> Your mom gave birth to a stupid child.
> >
> > This is just another food buggaboo of the month thing.
> >

> It causes heart disease you ****ing idiot.

Psst ... sugarlips ... LIFE causes heart disease.

It also causes death, if you want to look at it that way.

There were too many generations that lived long, healthy
lives full of the foods that are now allegedly taboo.

Mostly because they went out and plowed the back
forty after dinner rather than sitting on their asses and
doing what we are doing.

And please do not post your picture again.

Once was enough.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
news
> Reg wrote:
>> Food Snob wrote:

>>> Only trashy people use hydrogenated vegetable shortening.

>> Yeah, I've heard. You repeat it ad nauseam. It's but
>> one of the reasons I normally ignore your banal posts.

> Apparently only trashy people eat leftovers, too, or ever freeze
> something
> they've cooked to eat another day. Food Snob is just another Food Fool,
> as
> far as I can tell.
>
> Jill

I regularly cook more than is needed for a meal. For instance the Chili I
made the other day. I then put serving sizes away in the freezer for
quick meals when I can't be bothered cooking. A lot cheaper than the
store bought ones.

MoM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Which short cut?

The processor?

I never considered making it any other way.

MoM
"readandpostrosie" > wrote in message
> thanks for mentioning the short cut.......................
>

> --
>

> http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?pi...zZqobjFZuHy3Su
>

> "CHI-MUM" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Yogi Gupta" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>>>1 All purpose flour: 1 Cup
>>> 2 Baking powder (Double Action): 1/2 Tablespoon
>>> 3 Cream Of Tartar: 1/2 teaspoon
>>> 4 Confectioners Sugar (Powdered): 1 teaspoon
>>> 5 Table Salt: 1 teaspoon
>>> 6. Ghee or Vegetable Shortening: 2 Tablespoons and 2 teaspoons
>>>
>>> Mix ingredients 1 through 5. Cut-in Shortening.
>>>
>>> Yogi
>>>

>> -= Exported from BigOven =-
>>
>> Basic Baking Mix
>>
>> Recipe By:
>> Serving Size: 1
>> Cuisine:
>> Main Ingredient:
>> Categories: Quickbreads, Master_mix
>>
>> -= Ingredients =-
>> 9 c Flour
>> 1 lb Shortening
>> 4 tb Baking powder
>> 1 tb Salt
>>
>> -= Instructions =-
>> This is best made in a food processor,

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ranee Mueller" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Reg > wrote:
>
>> Bisquick Baking Mix

> Thank you Reg and everyone else who posted your suggestions. I can
> try these to see how they work. If I stored it in the fridge, could I
> get away with using butter for the fat?
>
> Regards,
> Ranee
>
> Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.
>
> "She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." Prov 31:13
>
> http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
> http://talesfromthekitchen.blogspot.com/

I think it would still go rancid over time.

MoM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

CHI-MUM wrote:

> "Ranee Mueller" > wrote in message
>
>>In article >,
>>Reg > wrote:
>>
>>> Bisquick Baking Mix

>> Thank you Reg and everyone else who posted your suggestions. I can
>>try these to see how they work. If I stored it in the fridge, could I
>>get away with using butter for the fat?
>>

> I think it would still go rancid over time.

Not any faster than butter goes rancid in the fridge, which
is not very fast.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ranee Mueller wrote:
> In article >,
> Reg > wrote:
>
> > Bisquick Baking Mix

> Thank you Reg and everyone else who posted your suggestions. I can
> try these to see how they work. If I stored it in the fridge, could I
> get away with using butter for the fat?

Yes. Butter keeps well refigerated. Hydrogenated fats are more
stable, but they're bad from the get go. They'll eventually be
outlawed.

> Regards,
> Ranee

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

1. My recipe uses Ghee. In United States, lard was common. Ghee
provides nutty flavor. Some people will add one part butter to 4 parts
lard for flavor in United States. People worried about saturated fats
use vegetable shortening. Vegetable shortenings used to be bad because
of trans-fats. Now you can buy vegetable shortening low in trans-fats,
they are expensive but used by many restaurants. You can look at soft
margarines with low trans-fats.

2. Yes! the Bisquick will go rancid and must be stored in a cooler
about 40 deg F for up to six months. Thats why my recipe makes smaller
amout that you do on as needed basis.

3. Everything is easier with food processor including cutting-in
shortening.
Yogi

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Yogi Gupta wrote:
> 1. My recipe uses Ghee. In United States, lard was common. Ghee
> provides nutty flavor. Some people will add one part butter to 4 parts
> lard for flavor in United States. People worried about saturated fats
> use vegetable shortening. Vegetable shortenings used to be bad because
> of trans-fats.

They still are. The overwhelming majority of shortenings and
margarines are still hydrogenated. Note the stupidity about the
subject, even among those who fancy themselves cooks.

> Now you can buy vegetable shortening low in trans-fats,
> they are expensive but used by many restaurants. You can look at soft
> margarines with low trans-fats.

Low trans fats are not good enough. You can get shortenings and
margarines with NO trans fats, typically palm oil, not to be confused
with palm kernel oil.

> 2. Yes! the Bisquick will go rancid and must be stored in a cooler
> about 40 deg F for up to six months. Thats why my recipe makes smaller
> amout that you do on as needed basis.

Palm oil shortening is more stable than nearly every other edible fat.

> 3. Everything is easier with food processor including cutting-in
> shortening.
> Yogi

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stupidity is reflected by comments based on limited knowledge of the
subject.
The Saturated fats
Plam oil: 49%
Coconut oil: 86%
Palm Kernel oil: 81%

If Saturated fats are good, then the above oils are good for you.
Yogi

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 16 May 2006 09:38:32 -0700, Food Snob wrote:

> Only trashy people use hydrogenated vegetable shortening.

Oh, you ARE a *big* food snob. LOL
--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 May 2006 10:06:03 -0700, Ranee Mueller wrote:

> Thank you Reg and everyone else who posted your suggestions. I can
> try these to see how they work. If I stored it in the fridge, could I
> get away with using butter for the fat?

Oh, of course! Try using lard in another batch and see which one you
like the best. (not joking)
--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On 16 May 2006 09:38:32 -0700, Food Snob wrote:
>

> > Only trashy people use hydrogenated vegetable shortening.

> Oh, you ARE a *big* food snob. LOL
> --

It occurs to me that only trashy people use a term like trashy people.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Food Snob" > wrote in news:1147890163.512635.119770
@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com:

> It causes heart disease you ****ing idiot.

It can lead to it, but it and of itself is not the sole cause. I know
people who lived quite long lives that ate Oreos, and shortening based
foods. Is it good for you? No, but then too, neither is the air that we
breath.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Yogi Gupta" > wrote in news:1147975420.236872.195360
@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> If Saturated fats are good, then the above oils are good for you.

Saturated fats are better than Transfats, period. By hydrogenizing a mono
or poly unsaturated fat, you're essentially saturating it, but unlike Sat
Fat, TransFat has an unnatural chemical make up, and that is where the
concern comes in.