Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Mmmm

Fresh hot Italian sausage on soft wheat bread baked this morning, with Grey
Poupon country style on the bread.

It's a little high fat, I'll make it up tomorrow ... but there are no
preservatives and the hot spices are fab for clearing the sinuses ... <G>

I used the rest of the 1.5 lbs chopped chunky into a pot of "15-bean" mixed
beans with Cajun spices and chopped baby carrots.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"cybercat" > wrote:

> Fresh hot Italian sausage on soft wheat bread baked this morning, with Grey
> Poupon country style on the bread.
>
> It's a little high fat, I'll make it up tomorrow ... but there are no
> preservatives and the hot spices are fab for clearing the sinuses ... <G>
>
> I used the rest of the 1.5 lbs chopped chunky into a pot of "15-bean" mixed
> beans with Cajun spices and chopped baby carrots.

Sounds tasty!

I like to get some Hot and Sour soup from the local chinese buffet when
I have a cold. That stuff is GREAT for a sore throat and stuffy nose!
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 16 May 2006 00:33:44 +0200, cybercat wrote:

> Fresh hot Italian sausage on soft wheat bread baked this morning, with Grey
> Poupon country style on the bread.
>
> It's a little high fat, I'll make it up tomorrow ... but there are no
> preservatives and the hot spices are fab for clearing the sinuses ... <G>
>
> I used the rest of the 1.5 lbs chopped chunky into a pot of "15-bean" mixed
> beans with Cajun spices and chopped baby carrots.

All of the above are similar to the way I use them too. Try using
them instead of andouille sometime.
--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote

> Sounds tasty!

Man, I thought the sandwich was good, well the soup turned out
amazing! I find that just a touch of something tomato-based gives
it the tang it needs. (Some recipes for 15-bean soup call for lemon
juice. I am more likely to have some medium salsa around than lemon, so
that is what I use. Not much, just enough to give the soup a touch of
color, a little tang, and a few little pieces of tomato and pepper and
onion. I cook the beans very gently and do not overcook, so they stay
whole and are velvety.

> I like to get some Hot and Sour soup from the local chinese buffet when
> I have a cold. That stuff is GREAT for a sore throat and stuffy nose!
> --

Mm, I have not been to a Chinese buffet in ages. Sounds like a plan
for this weekend. I have actually never had Hot and Sour soup, the name
puts me off. What does it actually taste like?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote :

> All of the above are similar to the way I use them too. Try using
> them instead of andouille sometime.
> --

I have seen this sausage but have never tried it. What do you do with it?
And what is it's seasoning like?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"cybercat" > wrote:

> Mm, I have not been to a Chinese buffet in ages. Sounds like a plan
> for this weekend. I have actually never had Hot and Sour soup, the name
> puts me off. What does it actually taste like?

It's usually chicken stock based with some tofu, bamboo shoot and other
sliced veggies and some times some thinly sliced pork or chicken. Our
local place uses beef stock which IMHO is even better.

The "hot" comes from red peppers and the "sour" comes from vinegar.

Might not sound too good initially, but it's quite delicious and will
clear the sinuses and soothe a sore throat. ;-)
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Want to clear your sinuses? Eat a spoonful of Colman's.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

> For a nasty cold I'll buy Tabatchnick at the store. It's in the frozen
> food section. I usually have so much chicken/beef stock in the house I'll
> make my own if I'm able to. Steven brings me hot and sour sometimes too.
> He's had a cold and I made him soup.
>
> Michael

Does Tabatchnick make sweet and sour soup? I have never seen it in
New York markets. Laura next door has her whole freezer full of
Tabatchnick soups and such other things as blintzes and pierogi and
latkes. They are made by Mrs. T, I believe but are made by the same
people.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> Margaret Suran >
> k.net:
>

>>Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
>>

>>>For a nasty cold I'll buy Tabatchnick at the store. It's in the
>>>frozen food section. I usually have so much chicken/beef stock in
>>>the house I'll make my own if I'm able to. Steven brings me hot and
>>>sour sometimes too. He's had a cold and I made him soup.
>>>
>>>Michael
>>>

>>Does Tabatchnick make sweet and sour soup? I have never seen it in
>>New York markets. Laura next door has her whole freezer full of
>>Tabatchnick soups and such other things as blintzes and pierogi and
>>latkes. They are made by Mrs. T, I believe but are made by the same
>>people.
>>

> I've never seen sweet and sour by Tabatchnick. Their chicken broth and
> split pea is really great for colds. I don't buy a huge amount of their
> frozen products but I've always got a supply of the soups in the freezer.
> I've bought other products but found my own are as good if not better. I
> don't mean that as it sounds but sometimes your own just tastes better.
>
> Michael

Tabatchnick soups are good to have on hand, everything else they make
I can do without.

I saw your post about your nice lunch with Steven. I was going to eat
a small piece of left over roast veal, but Tandoora came into the
kitchen when I stated to heat it and meowed until I cut it into a
small mince and gave it to her. She literally vacuumed it up and
didn't even say "thank you, Mommy". Instead she hissed at me and
screamed for more. (

It's almost four and Marcel just finished lunch, the last piece of
Passover Matzoh made into Matzoh Brei. Just Orange Juice and black
coffee with it.

Chicken, brown rice and baby peas for dinner.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ace Berserker" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Want to clear your sinuses? Eat a spoonful of Colman's.

What is Colman's?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote:
> It's usually chicken stock based with some tofu, bamboo shoot and other
> sliced veggies and some times some thinly sliced pork or chicken. Our
> local place uses beef stock which IMHO is even better.
>
> The "hot" comes from red peppers and the "sour" comes from vinegar.
>
> Might not sound too good initially, but it's quite delicious and will
> clear the sinuses and soothe a sore throat. ;-)
> --

Actually, it sounds great. I don't think of vinegar as "sour"
exactly, though I guess that is an accurate adjective. I think of
bad milk and fresh lemons as sour.

I love vinegar as a seasoning for meat-based things, especially
with some spicy heat, so this is right up my alley! (I am thinking
now of the dish from the Phillipines, Adobo? Which has garlic and a bit
of hot pepper and vinegar. Good stuff.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"cybercat" > wrote:

> "Ace Berserker" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Want to clear your sinuses? Eat a spoonful of Colman's.
> >

> What is Colman's?

Mustard.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"cybercat" > wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote:
> > It's usually chicken stock based with some tofu, bamboo shoot and other
> > sliced veggies and some times some thinly sliced pork or chicken. Our
> > local place uses beef stock which IMHO is even better.
> >
> > The "hot" comes from red peppers and the "sour" comes from vinegar.
> >
> > Might not sound too good initially, but it's quite delicious and will
> > clear the sinuses and soothe a sore throat. ;-)
> > --

> Actually, it sounds great. I don't think of vinegar as "sour"
> exactly, though I guess that is an accurate adjective. I think of
> bad milk and fresh lemons as sour.

I understand...

> I love vinegar as a seasoning for meat-based things, especially
> with some spicy heat, so this is right up my alley! (I am thinking
> now of the dish from the Phillipines, Adobo? Which has garlic and a bit
> of hot pepper and vinegar. Good stuff.

Do try hot and sour next time you hit a buffet.
But be careful, it's addicting!
Our local place has some of the best I've ever had and I can take it
home for $3.00 per quart. ;-d

With a bag of crispies.......
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> Fresh hot Italian sausage on soft wheat bread baked this morning, with Grey
> Poupon country style on the bread.
>
> It's a little high fat, I'll make it up tomorrow ... but there are no
> preservatives and the hot spices are fab for clearing the sinuses ... <G>

One of our local supermarkets makes a good hot Italian sausage. It's
great cooked over a hickory fire. Add the "soft wheat bread baked this
morning, with Grey Poupon country style on the bread" and it would be
even better.

Mmmm.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" > wrote in
6.121:

> Margaret Suran >
> nk.net:
>

>> Tabatchnick soups are good to have on hand, everything else they make
>> I can do without.
>>
>> I saw your post about your nice lunch with Steven. I was going to

eat
>> a small piece of left over roast veal, but Tandoora came into the
>> kitchen when I stated to heat it and meowed until I cut it into a
>> small mince and gave it to her. She literally vacuumed it up and
>> didn't even say "thank you, Mommy". Instead she hissed at me and
>> screamed for more. (

> ROFL... Sounds like Hoot. Ramsey is much more polite.

I would have kicked it in the guts and told it to Hiss off :-)

Having said that, my pooch has had her morning (warm) porridge so I
might just give her a frozen chicken frame, seeing as she's lying there
in the sun!!

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

At this spectacle even the most gentle must feel savage, and the most
savage must weep.

Turkish Officer
400 Plateau
24May1915

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Food Snob" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> cybercat wrote:
> > Fresh hot Italian sausage on soft wheat bread baked this morning, with

Grey
> > Poupon country style on the bread.
> >
> > It's a little high fat, I'll make it up tomorrow ... but there are no
> > preservatives and the hot spices are fab for clearing the sinuses ...

<G>

> One of our local supermarkets makes a good hot Italian sausage. It's
> great cooked over a hickory fire. Add the "soft wheat bread baked this
> morning, with Grey Poupon country style on the bread" and it would be
> even better.
>
> Mmmm.

Freshness is key, with the sausage. The stuff that is newly made bears no
resemblance to the preserved, mass-produced, packaged stuff. Do you
have Fresh Markets there?

As far as bread goes--I don't eat alot of it, but what I do eat I don't
want to be more than 24 hours old. We have a Panera around the corner
and an even better independent bakery.

I am not really a "name brand" person, but what is it with Grey
Poupon? I have tried every kind of coarse mustard and none
is even nearly as good. I kind of resent paying $3 for that little
jar of mustard. I like quality, but I want a value, too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "cybercat" > wrote:
>
> > "Ace Berserker" > wrote in message
> > oups.com...
> > > Want to clear your sinuses? Eat a spoonful of Colman's.
> > >

> > What is Colman's?

> Mustard.
> --

Ahhh. Hmmm, I have not seen this.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote

> Do try hot and sour next time you hit a buffet.

I sure will, now that I know what it is! For some
reason the name brought to mind hot lemonade or
something similar!

> But be careful, it's addicting!
> Our local place has some of the best I've ever had and I can take it
> home for $3.00 per quart. ;-d
>
> With a bag of crispies.......

Oh, yeah .... now I just need to find out who has the best
hot and sour soup around here!

I'm in Raleigh, North Carolina. Anybody know?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" > wrote in
6.121:

>>> ROFL... Sounds like Hoot. Ramsey is much more polite.
>>>

>> I would have kicked it in the guts and told it to Hiss off :-)

> Anyone kicking my kitty in the guts will die for it. My kitties and
> dog are my kids.

Are you from Texass, too??

I take it you don't really *read* the post, or look at the smilies??

> Michael <- way serious

Highly strung, more like it!!

Looks like you're another one in need of a humour implant.

http://www.undergroundhumor.com/book...mple3.htm#samp
le3

or

http://tinyurl.com/et65g

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

At this spectacle even the most gentle must feel savage, and the most
savage must weep.

Turkish Officer
400 Plateau
24May1915
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:

> I am not really a "name brand" person, but what is it with Grey
> Poupon? I have tried every kind of coarse mustard and none
> is even nearly as good. I kind of resent paying $3 for that little
> jar of mustard. I like quality, but I want a value, too.

There is an off-brand I buy locally at Winco for DH - I don't know the
name but will look it up. It doesn't have horseradish in it (which we
both hate) but is very, very good. I have never had GP so I don't know
how it compares, but I would bet this one is more grainy. If I
remember, I will look and let you know. ( Oh, and it's cheap!)

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

LucasP wrote:
> "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" > wrote
>
>>>I was going to eat a small piece of left over roast veal, but Tandoora came into the
>>>kitchen when I stated to heat it and meowed until I cut it into a
>>>small mince and gave it to her. She literally vacuumed it up and
>>>didn't even say "thank you, Mommy". Instead she hissed at me and
>>>screamed for more. (

>>ROFL... Sounds like Hoot. Ramsey is much more polite.
>>

> I would have kicked it in the guts and told it to Hiss off :-)
>

> Having said that, my pooch has had her morning (warm) porridge so I
> might just give her a frozen chicken frame, seeing as she's lying there
> in the sun!!

I did as you advised me to do and just came back from the nearest
Hospital Emergency Room, with a bandaged kicking leg. (

Are you certain you give good advice? Tandoora is furious and keeps
taking swipes at me. (

Dinner tonight (or tomorrow) From The NY Times, May 17th, 2006

Stir-Fried Asparagus With Pork

1 pound pencil-thin asparagus
2 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil
3 or 4 dried red chilies, optional
¼ pound ground pork
1 tablespoon minced garlic
½ cup scallions
½ cup chicken stock or water
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 teaspoons dark sesame oil, optional
Cooked white rice for serving (optional).

1. Break bottom inch or so off of each asparagus spear; cut stalks
into inch-long pieces.

2. Heat a large skillet over high heat for about 2 minutes.
Immediately add half the peanut oil, chilies if you're using them and
pork, crumbling it with your fingers. Cook, stirring only
occasionally, until pork browns, about 2 minutes. Remove pork to a
bowl, discard chilies and lower heat slightly.

3. Add remaining oil and asparagus to skillet. Cook, stirring
occasionally, until asparagus turns bright green and begins to become
tender, 3 or 4 minutes. Add garlic and scallions and cook, stirring
once or twice, for 30 seconds.

4. Add stock or water and soy sauce; stir and cook for 15 seconds.
Stir in pork, add sesame oil if you like and stir once more. Serve
with white rice, if desired.

Yield: 4 servings.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:

> Let me know, I would love to find a cheaper substitute that
> tastes as good. The thing about GP is that it has a tang
> that others don't seem to, so that when I try others they
> seem "flat."

IIRC GP contains white wine - that may be what you are experiencing.

>But one of the things I like about GP is the
> graininess. It is wonderful. I don't buy lunchmeats, but
> I do roast beef and slice it thinly, and GP is great on that
> cold!

We don't buy lunchmeat either - yuck! Way too salty. I roast ham and
turkey 1-2 times a month for sandwiches (mainly DH's lunch) and it's
amazing how good the sandwiches really are.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"-L." > wrote

> IIRC GP contains white wine - that may be what you are experiencing.

lol Well, there you go! No WONDER I like it so much. I have not
had white wine since I gave up smoking, or at least I didn't think I
had.

> >But one of the things I like about GP is the
> > graininess. It is wonderful. I don't buy lunchmeats, but
> > I do roast beef and slice it thinly, and GP is great on that
> > cold!

> We don't buy lunchmeat either - yuck! Way too salty.

And fatty, and full of weird stuff. Not that I don't enjoy a
hoagie every now and then, but for the most part, I think
eating lunchmeat regularly is just asking for trouble. (Same
with my beloved hot Italian Sausage, with the exception that
at least it has no preservatives or other weird chemicals. It
still has wayy too much fat and salt.)

>I roast ham and
> turkey 1-2 times a month for sandwiches (mainly DH's lunch) and it's
> amazing how good the sandwiches really are.

I do the same thing. I used to get the spiral-sliced hams, but find
that they get too dry, I am back to the picnic, bone-in types which
come out really succulent if roasted right, as you know. But, again,
due to the fat and salt and such, I might only do this every three months,
otherwise it is chicken and turkey and lean cuts of beef sliced thinly.
I like the meat much better without all that added stuff in lunchmeats.
Plus, fresh has to be the way to go--and then there is the fact that
it is so much cheaper. Decent deli ham is $8 a pound here, and my
picnic hams are at most maybe $2 a pound.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Margaret Suran > wrote in
k.net:

>> I would have kicked it in the guts and told it to Hiss off :-)
>>

> I did as you advised me to do and just came back from the nearest
> Hospital Emergency Room, with a bandaged kicking leg. (

LOL!!

Looks like you were too slow!!
Practise makes perfect :-)

> Are you certain you give good advice? Tandoora is furious and keeps
> taking swipes at me. (

No manners!!
Tell he/she/it to Hiss off :-)

My pooch is 32kgs of muscle, and I have to remind her every now and then
that *I* am the Alpha leader of the 'pack'.

I cooked her porridge with raisins in it this morning, I was quite
suprised she ate the raisins!!
I think she was expecting the bacon and scrambled eggs that I cooked up
for my SO, before she went off to work.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

At this spectacle even the most gentle must feel savage, and the most
savage must weep.

Turkish Officer
400 Plateau
24May1915
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" > wrote in
6.121:

>>> Anyone kicking my kitty in the guts will die for it. My kitties and
>>> dog are my kids.

>>> Michael <- way serious
>>>

> Lucas, anyone that knows me would know I'm kidding. My post was a

joke
> post.

Had another look...... can't see any smilies.

What you have to remember, Lonergan, is that not *everyone* in the world
knows you. I know it'll be a huge shock to your ego, but it's true.

You have to cater to the majority, not the minority.

Q. How do you turn a cat into a dog?

A. Soak it in petrol and throw a match on....... WOOF!!!!

:-) :-)

And to show you I'm not entirely one sided.......

Q. How do you turn a dog into a cat?

A. Chuck it in the freezer for a day or so, take it out and run it thru
a bandsaw.......... MEEEEEEEEEEEOOOOWWWWWWW!!!

:-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

At this spectacle even the most gentle must feel savage, and the most
savage must weep.

Turkish Officer
400 Plateau
24May1915

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

cybercat wrote:

> Oh, yeah .... now I just need to find out who has the best
> hot and sour soup around here!
>
> I'm in Raleigh, North Carolina. Anybody know?

I have no way of knowing who has the best, but this menu description
sounds right. -aem

Menu: http://www.timelinevideofilm.com/Imperial/
Location: http://www.imperialgardenrestaurant.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "-L." > wrote
>

> > IIRC GP contains white wine - that may be what you are experiencing.

> lol Well, there you go! No WONDER I like it so much. I have not
> had white wine since I gave up smoking, or at least I didn't think I
> had.

You probably will never like any other mustard, ever again. That wine
is what's gotcha!

<snip>

> And fatty, and full of weird stuff. Not that I don't enjoy a
> hoagie every now and then, but for the most part, I think
> eating lunchmeat regularly is just asking for trouble. (Same
> with my beloved hot Italian Sausage, with the exception that
> at least it has no preservatives or other weird chemicals. It
> still has wayy too much fat and salt.)

Well, everybody has their vices, eh? Unfortunately mine is ice cream.
I can't buy it or it's gone in a relatively short period of time...

<snip>

> I do the same thing. I used to get the spiral-sliced hams, but find
> that they get too dry, I am back to the picnic, bone-in types which
> come out really succulent if roasted right, as you know. But, again,
> due to the fat and salt and such, I might only do this every three months,
> otherwise it is chicken and turkey and lean cuts of beef sliced thinly.
> I like the meat much better without all that added stuff in lunchmeats.

Yeah, me too. DH won't touch lunchmeat - not even in a "grocery
emergency".

> Plus, fresh has to be the way to go--and then there is the fact that
> it is so much cheaper. Decent deli ham is $8 a pound here, and my
> picnic hams are at most maybe $2 a pound.

I can't believe how expensive deli lunchmeat is - it's ludicous! Gotta
pay for all those preservatuives, I guess...

Have you ever had a fresh ham (not smoked?) They are the best! I do
like a smoked ham as well, but fresh is so much better, IMO. I don't
eat ham anymore unless we can get a fresh one from the farm.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Grey Poupon what is this ?

and what is andouille?

Tessa

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 18 May 2006 03:10:04 -0700, "butterflyangel" >
wrote:

>Grey Poupon what is this ?

Yucky mustard. :-) I think it has wine in it.

>and what is andouille?

A kind of sausage common in the cooking of New Orleans.

serene
--
Kissing Hank's Ass is 10 years old! http://jhuger.com/kisshank
My personal blog: http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

-L. wrote:
> cybercat wrote:
> >
> > I am not really a "name brand" person, but what is it with Grey
> > Poupon? I have tried every kind of coarse mustard and none
> > is even nearly as good. I kind of resent paying $3 for that little
> > jar of mustard. I like quality, but I want a value, too.

> There is an off-brand I buy locally at Winco for DH - I don't know the
> name but will look it up. It doesn't have horseradish in it (which we
> both hate) but is very, very good. I have never had GP so I don't know
> how it compares, but I would bet this one is more grainy. If I
> remember, I will look and let you know. ( Oh, and it's cheap!)

Don't try Grey Poupon, as it could spoil the other for you.
I tell fellow guitarists the same thing about flatwound strings.

> -L.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Food Snob wrote on Thursday, May 18:

> Don't try Grey Poupon, as it could spoil the other for you.
> I tell fellow guitarists the same thing about flatwound strings.

Do I recall correctly that Grey Poupon, when it first became popular in
the States,
was more pungent ("la moutarde qui va au nez" - or something like that)
than the
current RJR Nabisco version. I'm not saying that's bad, since I keep a
jar of GP
on hand, plus 3 or 4 others. Sometimes I like the jolt of something
hot, and at other
times I prefer something milder. I want to experiment with some
homemade.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"-L." > wrote

> Have you ever had a fresh ham (not smoked?) They are the best! I do
> like a smoked ham as well, but fresh is so much better, IMO. I don't
> eat ham anymore unless we can get a fresh one from the farm.

No, I never heard of such a thing. Wouldn't that just be a pork roast?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "-L." > wrote
>
> > Have you ever had a fresh ham (not smoked?) They are the best! I do
> > like a smoked ham as well, but fresh is so much better, IMO. I don't
> > eat ham anymore unless we can get a fresh one from the farm.
> >

> No, I never heard of such a thing. Wouldn't that just be a pork roast?

No, different cut, different taste (unless it is specifically a ham
roast which is a boneless ham). Ham is the actual pork butt or leg
portion. Most roasts are from loin. This sort of explains it:

http://www.otherwhitemeat.com/aspx/a..._pork_leg.aspx

You should be able to cursor over the portions on the pig to see the
cuts.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"-L." > wrote in message
ups.com...

> cybercat wrote:
> > "-L." > wrote
> >
> > > Have you ever had a fresh ham (not smoked?) They are the best! I do
> > > like a smoked ham as well, but fresh is so much better, IMO. I don't
> > > eat ham anymore unless we can get a fresh one from the farm.
> > >

> > No, I never heard of such a thing. Wouldn't that just be a pork roast?

> No, different cut, different taste (unless it is specifically a ham
> roast which is a boneless ham). Ham is the actual pork butt or leg
> portion. Most roasts are from loin. This sort of explains it:
>
> http://www.otherwhitemeat.com/aspx/a..._pork_leg.aspx
>
> You should be able to cursor over the portions on the pig to see the
> cuts.
>
> -L.

Aha! And here I thought I knew all there was to know about pigs. :P
(Being that I live in North Carolina and all ....)

What is the taste like, if you can describe it? In the pork loin, I much
prefer the stronger, dark meat to the drier, denser white meat. (No
doubt because it has more fat ...)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> Aha! And here I thought I knew all there was to know about pigs. :P
> (Being that I live in North Carolina and all ....)
>
> What is the taste like, if you can describe it? In the pork loin, I much
> prefer the stronger, dark meat to the drier, denser white meat. (No
> doubt because it has more fat ...)

Hummm...I haven't had pork roast in so long (10 years, maybe more) I'm
not sure how it compares. It doesn't have the "gaminess" that darker
pork meat tends to have. Ham is fairly lean because the but and leg
are constantly exercised. It's a pinker meat - not white or dark,
really. IIRC it tastes saltier than pork loin.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

-L. wrote on Wednesday, May 17:

<snips>

> Have you ever had a fresh ham (not smoked?) They are the best! I do
> like a smoked ham as well, but fresh is so much better, IMO. I don't
> eat ham anymore unless we can get a fresh one from the farm.

I've cooked and loved fresh ham, although it came from a supermarket -
your fave - Fred M's. Seriously though, do you know of a farmer in
Northwest
Oregon who sells fresh pork to the general public, or is it your
secret? I can't
think of a regular pork vendor at the Park Blocks or Hillsdale farmers
markets.
Then I thought of Sauvie Island, but I can't recall a pig farm there
either.
..

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"-L." > wrote:

> Hummm...I haven't had pork roast in so long (10 years, maybe more) I'm
> not sure how it compares. It doesn't have the "gaminess" that darker
> pork meat tends to have. Ham is fairly lean because the but and leg
> are constantly exercised. It's a pinker meat - not white or dark,
> really. IIRC it tastes saltier than pork loin.

Hmm, I will have to try to find that. Surely the Pig Capital of the
nation will have some somewhere. Maybe the farmer's market.
It's strawberry season, too!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

-L. wrote:
> cybercat wrote:
> > "-L." > wrote
> >
> > > Have you ever had a fresh ham (not smoked?) They are the best! I do
> > > like a smoked ham as well, but fresh is so much better, IMO. I don't
> > > eat ham anymore unless we can get a fresh one from the farm.
> > >

> > No, I never heard of such a thing. Wouldn't that just be a pork roast?

> No, different cut, different taste (unless it is specifically a ham
> roast which is a boneless ham). Ham is the actual pork butt or leg
> portion. Most roasts are from loin. This sort of explains it:

In St. Louis, the call pork shoulder "pork butt." It's true.

> http://www.otherwhitemeat.com/aspx/a..._pork_leg.aspx
>
> You should be able to cursor over the portions on the pig to see the
> cuts.
>
> -L.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

KevinS wrote:

> I've cooked and loved fresh ham, although it came from a supermarket -
> your fave - Fred M's. Seriously though, do you know of a farmer in
> Northwest
> Oregon who sells fresh pork to the general public, or is it your
> secret? I can't
> think of a regular pork vendor at the Park Blocks or Hillsdale farmers
> markets.
> Then I thought of Sauvie Island, but I can't recall a pig farm there
> either.
> .

It's a small organic farm and a friend of a friend. You just gotta
know the right people, Kevin! He doesn't always have pigs but when
he does we try to get in on the slaughter, and buy a half-pig.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:

> Surely the Pig Capital of the nation will have some somewhere.

Which nation is that?

> It's strawberry season, too!

Where, too?

What's with the fercocktah comma... English must not be your primary
language.

Mmmm, enchiladas Serene Vannoy General Cooking 1 07-08-2010 09:11 PM
Mmmm ... MUFFIN MANIA ... mmmM brooklyn1 General Cooking 5 23-11-2009 10:28 PM
Mmmm soup! Julie Bove Diabetic 1 27-02-2009 05:23 AM
Mmmm, now that looks yummy Chewbacca General Cooking 0 08-08-2006 03:52 PM