Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default National Postal Workers Food Drive -- May 13th

Hi,

Just wanted to say thanks to all of you who left bags of food at the mailbox
yesterday. I work at a food distriution facility in SoCal. We were the
recipients of the food collected at 10 post offices in the area. We had
volunteers receiving the food as the mailmen came off the routes, separating
it into barrels, canned goods, dry goods (cereal, etc) and odd sized going
into boxes. The projection was 100,000 pounds from the 10 sites. I was at
a site the collected 11,680 pounds from 75 routes. My agency gives food to
low-income families in our area, serving 500 families on a weekly basis,
(average family size 3.5).

Harriet & Critters

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Harriet Neal wrote:

> I work at a food distriution facility in SoCal. We were the
> recipients of the food collected at 10 post offices in the area. We had
> volunteers receiving the food as the mailmen came off the routes, separating
> it into barrels, canned goods, dry goods (cereal, etc) and odd sized going
> into boxes. The projection was 100,000 pounds from the 10 sites. I was at
> a site the collected 11,680 pounds from 75 routes. My agency gives food to
> low-income families in our area, serving 500 families on a weekly basis,
> (average family size 3.5).

How bigoted of you... what about hungry individuals... you think only
families are hungry?

Hmm, 100,000 pounds of food per 500 families comes to 200 pounds per
family or better than 50 pounds of food per person... that's an awful
lot of food on a weekly basis, unless you count the weight of beer.

I don't believe in food drives where raw food is distributed, I don't
believe that all that food goes to needy people. I believe that the
food is picked over with the good stuff culled out and kept by the
administrators. I'd much prefer to donate directly to a soup
kitchen... those who are hungry will come and they'll eat. But I don't
donate food to able bodied folks anyway, the able bodied can earn their
own, if they're too lazy to move their fat asses they deserve to
starve.

I make my food donations to animal shelters, those poor four legged
creatures can't feed themselves, they are totally dependent... and not
even one takes a bite more than it can eat... I don't donate to
creatures with pockets.

Sheldon (who has on more than one occasion seen with his own eyes how
food drives are totally dishonest - *thievery* is too mild an
expletive)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> Harriet Neal wrote:
>>
>> I work at a food distriution facility in SoCal. We were the
>> recipients of the food collected at 10 post offices in the area. We had
>> volunteers receiving the food as the mailmen came off the routes,

separating
>> it into barrels, canned goods, dry goods (cereal, etc) and odd sized going
>> into boxes. The projection was 100,000 pounds from the 10 sites. I was at
>> a site the collected 11,680 pounds from 75 routes. My agency gives food to
>> low-income families in our area, serving 500 families on a weekly basis,
>> (average family size 3.5).

> How bigoted of you... what about hungry individuals... you think only
> families are hungry?
>
> Hmm, 100,000 pounds of food per 500 families comes to 200 pounds per
> family or better than 50 pounds of food per person... that's an awful
> lot of food on a weekly basis, unless you count the weight of beer.
>
> I don't believe in food drives where raw food is distributed, I don't
> believe that all that food goes to needy people. I believe that the
> food is picked over with the good stuff culled out and kept by the
> administrators. I'd much prefer to donate directly to a soup
> kitchen... those who are hungry will come and they'll eat. But I don't
> donate food to able bodied folks anyway, the able bodied can earn their
> own, if they're too lazy to move their fat asses they deserve to
> starve.
>
> I make my food donations to animal shelters, those poor four legged
> creatures can't feed themselves, they are totally dependent... and not
> even one takes a bite more than it can eat... I don't donate to
> creatures with pockets.
>
> Sheldon (who has on more than one occasion seen with his own eyes how
> food drives are totally dishonest - *thievery* is too mild an
> expletive)

once again you make me giggle with your weirdness. I've worked on a number of
food drives, collecting, dividing , distributing and I have never seen
anything get culled by anyone. What an absurd thought. Does it happen? I guess
anything is possible. Do i believe that someone would go to great lengths to
volunteer their time at a food bank just to get some free canned corn?
Probably not.

You're one weird and paranoid dude, but it's entertaining to see. You just
keep on keepin' on with your bad self!

My postal carrier got a couple bags worth of canned and boxed goods that I
bought specifically for the drive (mostly it was stuff I don't eat, canned
vegetables, graham crackers, saltines and the likes as well as other things,
canned beans and whatnot). My friend's mail carrier did not pick up her
donation, very weird.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Bubbo" > wrote

> canned beans and whatnot). My friend's mail carrier did not pick up her
> donation, very weird.

My post office doesn't participate. Especially in my neighborhood
where they walk the route, they would kill themselves collecting food,
too. The drive was on a case by case basis, if the carriers felt like
playing.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Bubbo wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> > Harriet Neal wrote:
> >>
> >> I work at a food distriution facility in SoCal.
> >>

> > I make my food donations to animal shelters

> once again you make me giggle with your weirdness

Spoken like a true Democrat... whatever you can't comprehend ergo must
be weird.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>> Sheldon (who has on more than one occasion seen with his own eyes how
>> food drives are totally dishonest - *thievery* is too mild an
>> expletive)
>>

> once again you make me giggle with your weirdness. I've worked on a number
> of
> food drives, collecting, dividing , distributing and I have never seen
> anything get culled by anyone. What an absurd thought. Does it happen? I
> guess
> anything is possible. Do i believe that someone would go to great lengths
> volunteer their time at a food bank just to get some free canned corn?
> Probably not.
>
> You're one weird and paranoid dude, but it's entertaining to see. You just
> keep on keepin' on with your bad self!
>
> My postal carrier got a couple bags worth of canned and boxed goods that I
> bought specifically for the drive (mostly it was stuff I don't eat, canned
> vegetables, graham crackers, saltines and the likes as well as other
> things,
> canned beans and whatnot). My friend's mail carrier did not pick up her
> donation, very weird.
>
> --
> .:Heather:.

Thank you Heather. Nothing is culled by either staff or volunteers. All of
the food that was collected will be sorted into specific categories, (by
volunteers) then repacked into grocery bags for distribution to clients.
Sheldon, since you know so much about food drives why don't you go to a
site, such as a regional food bank and help with a distribution, but since
you know so much about thievery, I can only assume that you were one of the
culprits and ended up being caught.

Harriet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

My husband delivers mail, and he said that there was about twice as
much food donated this year than last year. He also said that sometimes
people placed their bag or box beneath the mailbox where it's almost
impossible to be seen from the mail truck when it pulls up to the box.
It's best to tape a note to the mailbox or put the food in a plastic
grocery bag and hang it from the flag or some other projection, so it
won't be missed.

These food drives are a wonderful blessing to those in need. We went
through some dry years ourselves, and we thanked God for people with
hearts big enough to share.

My thoughts,
Rosey

http://www.SurvivalCookbook.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> The Bubbo wrote:
>> Sheldon wrote:

>> > I make my food donations to animal shelters

>> once again you make me giggle with your weirdness

> Spoken like a true Democrat... whatever you can't comprehend ergo must
> be weird.
>
> Sheldon

well you have to admit it's pretty damned weird to believe there's some mass
conspiracy of people just dying to spend their evenings and weekends in a
warehouse so they can steal cans of beets or lima beans.

I mean know what hot commodities those are, lord knows I was severely tempted
to grab those cans of veg-all and bags of puffed rice! I had to join the
support group for people tempted to steal generic green beans and graham
crackers from the needy! It was torture.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

writingmama wrote:

> These food drives are a wonderful blessing to those in need. We went
> through some dry years ourselves, and we thanked God for people with
> hearts big enough to share.
>
> My thoughts,
> Rosey
>
> http://www.SurvivalCookbook.com

I remember many years of gubmint cheese, food shelf veg-all, and toys-for-tots
christmases as a child. Every year I repay those services as much as possible
(except for the damned veg-all, I hated that stuff). One of my favorite things
at christmas time is to do the adopt-a-family thing where you buy gifts for
everyone in the family. I have great fun shopping and wrapping gifts for
people I don't know and will never meet.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Bubbo wrote:
> once again you make me giggle with your weirdness. I've worked on a number of
> food drives, collecting, dividing , distributing and I have never seen
> anything get culled by anyone. What an absurd thought. Does it happen? I guess
> anything is possible. Do i believe that someone would go to great lengths to
> volunteer their time at a food bank just to get some free canned corn?
> Probably not.

I have worked Second Harvest and other food banks for years and the
only things workers have ever taken were things that couldn't legally
be distributed like charcoal.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"-L." > wrote in message
> I have worked Second Harvest and other food banks for years and the
> only things workers have ever taken were things that couldn't legally
> be distributed like charcoal.

Charcoal? Any idea why not? I'm guessing that people with no heat may try
to use it indoors.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Bubbo stupidly wrote:

> My postal carrier got a couple bags worth of canned and boxed goods that I
> bought specifically for the drive (mostly it was stuff I don't eat, canned
> vegetables, graham crackers, saltines and the likes as well as other things,
> canned beans and whatnot).

Wow, and here you just blasted Sheldon -- it's *your* cheap - a$$ self
that is the witless ingrate here You "donate" stuff that you yourself
wouldn't eat. That simply shows your sheer and unadulterated contempt
for the those who are on the receiving end of your
"largesse"...pitiful!

I've given to food drives before and I wouldn't dream of giving away
old, inedible, or otherwise crummy comestibles. I've donated top -
quality and name - brand stuff, not cheapo generic junk that I myself
wouldn't eat. When I've donated tuna it's been the good white albacore
stuff, not the cat food crap. I've donated a goodly amount of Paul
Newman brand stuff, that way my "charity money" is doubled as all his
profits go to charity. I've given Kraft Mac 'n Cheese, not the generic
stuff, as that's what I myself eat. The soups I've given have been
Progresso or better, condiments are Heinz, canned veg are Del
Monte/Green Giant, baked beans are Bush's, etc...

I figger folks on the receiving end must get mighty tired of the cheap
lowest - common - denominator victuals, maybe a jar of Paul Newman
pasta sauce or a Toblerone chocolate bar or Quaker - brand oats will
brighten their day a little bit...I know because I've had a time or two
in my life when *I* was scraping by at the bottom of the barrel.

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On 14 May 2006 13:53:37 -0700, Sheldon wrote:
>
> > I don't believe in food drives where raw food is distributed, I don't
> > believe that all that food goes to needy people. I believe that the
> > food is picked over with the good stuff culled out and kept by the
> > administrators.

> I had a neighbor that worked at a Food Bank in San Jose. She
> came home with "groceries" practically every night. Didn't know
> what to do with it all. She'd ask me for suggestion on how to
> use stuff she had no clue about (since she knew I cooked).
>
> She'd give me excuses like "there's a dent in this box", or "it
> expired yesterday" (much of the food actually distributed is past
> it's sell-by date, but perfectly good). Or "we don't distribute
> this or that", and "everybody does it". Or my favorite: "Poor
> people don't use artichoke hearts".
>
> She finally stopped bragging about her scores.
>
> -sw

Thank you.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "-L." > wrote in message
> > I have worked Second Harvest and other food banks for years and the
> > only things workers have ever taken were things that couldn't legally
> > be distributed like charcoal.

> Charcoal? Any idea why not? I'm guessing that people with no heat may try
> to use it indoors.

I'm not sure.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gregory Morrow wrote:

> Wow, and here you just blasted Sheldon -- it's *your* cheap - a$$ self
> that is the witless ingrate here You "donate" stuff that you yourself
> wouldn't eat. That simply shows your sheer and unadulterated contempt
> for the those who are on the receiving end of your
> "largesse"...pitiful!
>
> I've given to food drives before and I wouldn't dream of giving away
> old, inedible, or otherwise crummy comestibles.

She didn't say it was inedible, spoiled or past the expiration date.
(And, BTW, folks, if you do donate food past the expiration date, it
gets thrown away, so don't.) She merely said it was food she doesn't
like. So what?

> I've donated top -
> quality and name - brand stuff, not cheapo generic junk that I myself
> wouldn't eat. When I've donated tuna it's been the good white albacore
> stuff, not the cat food crap. I've donated a goodly amount of Paul
> Newman brand stuff, that way my "charity money" is doubled as all his
> profits go to charity. I've given Kraft Mac 'n Cheese, not the generic
> stuff, as that's what I myself eat. The soups I've given have been
> Progresso or better, condiments are Heinz, canned veg are Del
> Monte/Green Giant, baked beans are Bush's, etc...
>
> I figger folks on the receiving end must get mighty tired of the cheap
> lowest - common - denominator victuals, maybe a jar of Paul Newman
> pasta sauce or a Toblerone chocolate bar or Quaker - brand oats will
> brighten their day a little bit...I know because I've had a time or two
> in my life when *I* was scraping by at the bottom of the barrel.

I highly doubt families who, routinely, have no food at all really care
if they get Del Monte or "Store Brand" canned peas. Many of the
generics and store brands are packaged by the larger companies and the
food that goes into those packages are the exact same product as that
which goes into the "name brand" packages. I think it is far more
important to stretch your giving dollar by buying *more* food than it
is to spend foolishly on name brand products which may well be the
exact same food item in a different wrapper.

I am not above eating store-branded food items, myself. If the food
item really is from a smaller manufacturer, all the better. I prefer
not to support big business unless I have to.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gregory Morrow wrote:
> The Bubbo stupidly wrote:
>
> > My postal carrier got a couple bags worth of canned and boxed goods that I
> > bought specifically for the drive (mostly it was stuff I don't eat, canned
> > vegetables, graham crackers, saltines and the likes as well as other things,
> > canned beans and whatnot).

> Wow, and here you just blasted Sheldon -- it's *your* cheap - a$$ self
> that is the witless ingrate here You "donate" stuff that you yourself
> wouldn't eat. That simply shows your sheer and unadulterated contempt
> for the those who are on the receiving end of your
> "largesse"...pitiful!

Also is a smarmy side-ways way of actually admitting to being a food
bank thief... of course it's mostly poor quality stuff, the good stuff
is stolen. It's exactly the same with thrift stores, the workers
abscond with all the worthwhile furniture, art work, appliances, and
whatever... dintja ever notice how it's all crappy 'lectric knives,
cheapo baloney slicers, schmatah clothes by the ton, and
broken/worn/wobbly furniture... this is mostly donations from family
members from some recently deceased's estate... I've seen it myself how
the good stuff is culled out and kept by those supervising... typically
warehoused until picked up by an auctioneer, with the proceeds going
into private pockets... I've habituated estate auctions for many years,
I know exactly where lots of that merchandise comes from. What do
yoose think happens to the contents of deceased's homes... the heirs
hardly ever want to be bothered, they sell the house but other than
personal effects the contents becomes a tax write off when it's
collected by organizations like say Salvation Army... none of the good
stuff ever makes it to the thrift store. Charity is all a scam...
preying on the idiot sinners who need a way to feel good... next time
you slip your few bucks into the church basket know that you're
supporting some creepo clergy who at best is screwing your wife/mother
and at worst is a child molester.

> I've given to food drives before and I wouldn't dream of giving away
> old, inedible, or otherwise crummy comestibles. I've donated top -
> quality and name - brand stuff, not cheapo generic junk that I myself
> wouldn't eat. When I've donated tuna it's been the good white albacore
> stuff, not the cat food crap. I've donated a goodly amount of Paul
> Newman brand stuff, that way my "charity money" is doubled as all his
> profits go to charity. I've given Kraft Mac 'n Cheese, not the generic
> stuff, as that's what I myself eat. The soups I've given have been
> Progresso or better, condiments are Heinz, canned veg are Del
> Monte/Green Giant, baked beans are Bush's, etc...
>
> I figger folks on the receiving end must get mighty tired of the cheap
> lowest - common - denominator victuals, maybe a jar of Paul Newman
> pasta sauce or a Toblerone chocolate bar or Quaker - brand oats will
> brighten their day a little bit...I know because I've had a time or two
> in my life when *I* was scraping by at the bottom of the barrel.
>
> --
> Best
> Greg

The good stuff you give gets stolen by the administrators, with trickle
down to the workers to shut their mouths. If anyone thinks these
so-called do gooders are going to admit to pilfering you gotta be a
pinhead... of course they want yoose to keep donating, more for them...
why do yoose think someone would propagate one of these self-rightious
brag posts... real heros don't talk about it. Charity is a business no
different from organized crime, never forget that.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:
> -L. wrote:
>
> > She didn't say it was inedible, spoiled or past the expiration date.
> > (And, BTW, folks, if you do donate food past the expiration date, it
> > gets thrown away, so don't.)

> Grocery stores and manufacturers donate plenty of dry, canned and
> bottled foods and drinks that are past their sell by fate and
> they get distributed to all the food pantries. At least in CA
> and TX, that's often the case.

The same in NYC... in fact most of the commercial food producers like
Entenmann's, Dunkin Donuts, Archway Cookies, etc. deliver much of their
day-olds to local soup kitchens... same with the big corporate
cafeterias in NYC... most of those corporate headquarter buildings
maintain an entire floor of a skyscraper as an employee cafeteria...
all the extra food goes to the local shelters and chuches for daily
meal distribution. Food past its experation date does NOT get thrown
away, just proves she's a big fat liar.

In fact Entenmann's picks up all it's products with expired dates and
resells them to the general public at their "used cake/bread" store at
deep discount, even those that are damaged broken cakes, pies, etc.
even with torn warppers. I can't tell you how many boxes of eight
Entenmann's Chocolate Coated Devil's Food Donuts I bought for like a
$1 a box... no way anyone could tell it was about a week past it's
sell-by date... it's nigh impossible to eat less than all eight....
plenty of times I polished off the entire box one after another... I
don't think there's a better, more addictive donut on the planet..
especially if you eat them frozen.

http://entenmanns.gwbakeries.com/pro...upc/7203001201

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On 15 May 2006 07:57:55 -0700, -L. wrote:
>
> > She didn't say it was inedible, spoiled or past the expiration date.
> > (And, BTW, folks, if you do donate food past the expiration date, it
> > gets thrown away, so don't.) She merely said it was food she doesn't
> > like. So what?

> Grocery stores and manufacturers donate plenty of dry, canned and
> bottled foods and drinks that are past their sell by fate and
> they get distributed to all the food pantries. At least in CA
> and TX, that's often the case.
>
> -sw

It probably depends on the food bank. At Second Harvest in two
differing states, it was not used. At the food bank I worked in in CA
it wasn't used. Expired food is a liability. Same goes for dented
cans.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gregory Morrow wrote:

> The Bubbo stupidly wrote:
>
>> My postal carrier got a couple bags worth of canned and boxed goods that I
>> bought specifically for the drive (mostly it was stuff I don't eat, canned
>> vegetables, graham crackers, saltines and the likes as well as other

things,
>> canned beans and whatnot).

> Wow, and here you just blasted Sheldon -- it's *your* cheap - a$$ self
> that is the witless ingrate here You "donate" stuff that you yourself
> wouldn't eat. That simply shows your sheer and unadulterated contempt
> for the those who are on the receiving end of your
> "largesse"...pitiful!

um, I donate things like canned vegetables because they can use canned
vegetables but they cannot use frozen or fresh vegetable. I do not buy canned
vegetables because I do not like them. I cannot give them the fresh or frozen
vegetables I prefer. Do you need a picture drawn out?

I donate graham crackers and saltines because I've been told they are useful
and needed. I do not eat graham crackers or saltines. I don't really care for
them, but since they are useful I donate them.

I do eat kanned kidney, black and great northern beans and I also donate
those.

The stuff that I donate is not old crap sitting in my pantry. I almost always
buy stuff specifically for food drives.

> I've given to food drives before and I wouldn't dream of giving away
> old, inedible, or otherwise crummy comestibles. I've donated top -
> quality and name - brand stuff, not cheapo generic junk that I myself
> wouldn't eat. When I've donated tuna it's been the good white albacore
> stuff, not the cat food crap. I've donated a goodly amount of Paul
> Newman brand stuff, that way my "charity money" is doubled as all his
> profits go to charity. I've given Kraft Mac 'n Cheese, not the generic
> stuff, as that's what I myself eat. The soups I've given have been
> Progresso or better, condiments are Heinz, canned veg are Del
> Monte/Green Giant, baked beans are Bush's, etc...

I would never DREAM of giving out of date, inedible or otherwise gross food. A
food bank is not a trash receptacle for the stuff I don't want you wiener
patrol.

> I figger folks on the receiving end must get mighty tired of the cheap
> lowest - common - denominator victuals, maybe a jar of Paul Newman
> pasta sauce or a Toblerone chocolate bar or Quaker - brand oats will
> brighten their day a little bit...I know because I've had a time or two
> in my life when *I* was scraping by at the bottom of the barrel.

Perhaps, instead of spending so much time lecturing me on perceived
infractions, you should spend more time lightening the hell up.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> Steve Wertz wrote:
>> On 14 May 2006 13:53:37 -0700, Sheldon wrote:
>>
>> > I don't believe in food drives where raw food is distributed, I don't
>> > believe that all that food goes to needy people. I believe that the
>> > food is picked over with the good stuff culled out and kept by the
>> > administrators.

>> I had a neighbor that worked at a Food Bank in San Jose. She
>> came home with "groceries" practically every night. Didn't know
>> what to do with it all. She'd ask me for suggestion on how to
>> use stuff she had no clue about (since she knew I cooked).
>>
>> She'd give me excuses like "there's a dent in this box", or "it
>> expired yesterday" (much of the food actually distributed is past
>> it's sell-by date, but perfectly good). Or "we don't distribute
>> this or that", and "everybody does it". Or my favorite: "Poor
>> people don't use artichoke hearts".
>>
>> She finally stopped bragging about her scores.
>>
>> -sw

> Thank you.
>
> Sheldon

pfft
I call bullshit
one person is not indicative of the whole system being rotten

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Bubbo wrote:

> I almost always buy stuff specifically for food drives.

Whadaya expect, a hatful of attaboys...

You actually expect folks to believe that, what a worthless piece of
work you are... you already have zero credibility, now you're just
digging yourself a deeper hole. Those who announce what wonderful
sources of charity they are "almost always" donate nothing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> The Bubbo wrote:
>>
>> I almost always buy stuff specifically for food drives.

> Whadaya expect, a hatful of attaboys...
>
> You actually expect folks to believe that, what a worthless piece of
> work you are... you already have zero credibility, now you're just
> digging yourself a deeper hole. Those who announce what wonderful
> sources of charity they are "almost always" donate nothing.

mm uh huh
shouldn't you be bouncing quarters off your bed or something? Last think I'm
worried about is some weird guy from the internet and what he thinks he knows.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 May 2006 20:03:07 GMT, "Harriet Neal"
> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Just wanted to say thanks to all of you who left bags of food at the mailbox
>yesterday. I work at a food distriution facility in SoCal. We were the
>recipients of the food collected at 10 post offices in the area. We had
>volunteers receiving the food as the mailmen came off the routes, separating
>it into barrels, canned goods, dry goods (cereal, etc) and odd sized going
>into boxes. The projection was 100,000 pounds from the 10 sites. I was at
>a site the collected 11,680 pounds from 75 routes. My agency gives food to
>low-income families in our area, serving 500 families on a weekly basis,
>(average family size 3.5).

I didn't have time to go to the grocery store before the food drive,
so I went through our pantry and gave them all our surplus foods (NOT
expired or stuff that nobody would want to eat btw)... including all
our leftover hurricane supplies from last year - I figure that
somebody else can use them NOW and we'll buy more for ourselves so we
have a fresh stock in case of emergency...
I thought we might have been too late and missed the pickup because
the box sat there all afternoon, but the posty was running very late
and it disappeared at about 5.30, when I was just about to bring it
upstairs again and figure out what to do with it myself!

I was rather sad to see that I was the only person from our building
who left food out... there are 20 families living in our building and
nobody else could spare a few cans?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 May 2006 00:45:56 GMT, The Bubbo >
wrote:

>Sheldon wrote:
>>
>> The Bubbo wrote:

>well you have to admit it's pretty damned weird to believe there's some mass
>conspiracy of people just dying to spend their evenings and weekends in a
>warehouse so they can steal cans of beets or lima beans.
>
>I mean know what hot commodities those are, lord knows I was severely tempted
>to grab those cans of veg-all and bags of puffed rice! I had to join the
>support group for people tempted to steal generic green beans and graham
>crackers from the needy! It was torture.

Actually last year I chose not to donate because I knew that there
were some rather shady people living in our complex and there was a
high likelyhood that the food would be either vandalised by the idiot
children who went around breaking the pool furniture etc, or stolen...
fortunately since the building went condo all of those families are
long-gone and the complex has gone many notches upmarket so I felt
safe donating this year.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 May 2006 19:27:26 -0400, Karen AKA Kajikit
> wrote:

>On Mon, 15 May 2006 00:45:56 GMT, The Bubbo >
>wrote:
>
>>well you have to admit it's pretty damned weird to believe there's some mass
>>conspiracy of people just dying to spend their evenings and weekends in a
>>warehouse so they can steal cans of beets or lima beans.
>>
>>I mean know what hot commodities those are, lord knows I was severely tempted
>>to grab those cans of veg-all and bags of puffed rice! I had to join the
>>support group for people tempted to steal generic green beans and graham
>>crackers from the needy! It was torture.

>Actually last year I chose not to donate because I knew that there
>were some rather shady people living in our complex and there was a
>high likelyhood that the food would be either vandalised by the idiot
>children who went around breaking the pool furniture etc, or stolen...
>fortunately since the building went condo all of those families are
>long-gone and the complex has gone many notches upmarket so I felt
>safe donating this year.

So what you're saying is that you refused to give food to poor people,
because other poor people might take it? That, I think, takes the
prize today, and I've read some pretty mindboggling stuff today.

serene
--
Kissing Hank's Ass is 10 years old! http://jhuger.com/kisshank
My personal blog: http://serenejournal.livejournal.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gregory Morrow wrote:

> Wow, and here you just blasted Sheldon -- it's *your* cheap - a$$ self
> that is the witless ingrate here You "donate" stuff that you yourself
> wouldn't eat. That simply shows your sheer and unadulterated contempt
> for the those who are on the receiving end of your
> "largesse"...pitiful!

I don't think she said she donated anything old or bad.

If I buy 6 cans of vegetables, and I find that I don't like that kind,
I will donate the remaining 5 cans. Beats throwing them away, and less
hassle than returning them. Sometimes, I just don't care for a
particular brand or flavor.

As for generics and cheap things. I often buy cheaper brands for me. I
buy store brand products for a lot of things - pasta, canned veggies,
soup, cereal, etc. There's not much difference between Kraft mac &
cheese vs Safeway brand (or Albertsons, Fred Meyer, etc). It's just
noodles and sauce mix.

If I am going to spend X amount on food to donate, wouldn't it be more
useful to buy more of the cheaper brands and have more food to share?
That's what I do when I shop for myself. Makes sense to keep doing it
when I am shopping to donate.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-05-15, writingmama > wrote:
> My husband delivers mail, and he said that there was about twice as
> much food donated this year than last year.

Hey, if a postal worker knocked on my door and asked for a food
donation, I'd be on it like a shot!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
> On Mon, 15 May 2006 00:45:56 GMT, The Bubbo >
> wrote:
>
>> Sheldon wrote:
>>>
>>> The Bubbo wrote:

>> well you have to admit it's pretty damned weird to believe there's
>> some mass conspiracy of people just dying to spend their evenings
>> and weekends in a warehouse so they can steal cans of beets or lima
>> beans.
>>
>> I mean know what hot commodities those are, lord knows I was
>> severely tempted to grab those cans of veg-all and bags of puffed
>> rice! I had to join the support group for people tempted to steal
>> generic green beans and graham crackers from the needy! It was
>> torture.

> Actually last year I chose not to donate because I knew that there
> were some rather shady people living in our complex and there was a
> high likelyhood that the food would be either vandalised by the idiot
> children

I had that happen a few years back. I set out a box of canned and dry goods
and some of those "taco kits" that have the shells and seasoning packet -
just add some ground beef. The "healthy" stuff (i.e. veggies) was left but
those taco kits disappeared. And then the postal carrier didn't bother to
pick up the box. I didn't even get a notice about it this year so maybe the
carriers rebelled against the practice.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene wrote:
> On Tue, 16 May 2006 19:27:26 -0400, Karen AKA Kajikit
> > wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 15 May 2006 00:45:56 GMT, The Bubbo >
>> wrote:
>>
>> Actually last year I chose not to donate because I knew that there
>> were some rather shady people living in our complex and there was a
>> high likelyhood that the food would be either vandalised by the idiot
>> children who went around breaking the pool furniture etc, or
>> stolen... fortunately since the building went condo all of those
>> families are
>> long-gone and the complex has gone many notches upmarket so I felt
>> safe donating this year.

> So what you're saying is that you refused to give food to poor people,
> because other poor people might take it? That, I think, takes the
> prize today, and I've read some pretty mindboggling stuff today.
>
> serene

"Shady" does not equal poor. At my last apartment complex the neighbors
across the hall were definitely "shady". They were about 20 years old, no
*visible* means of support (except for the constant stream of "friends" who
dropped by for 20 minute visits). They drove a brand new Acura Integra but
didn't have jobs. I'd be willing to bet the work-from-home thing they had
going netted them a lot more money than my day job.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> I had that happen a few years back. I set out a box of canned and dry goods
> and some of those "taco kits" that have the shells and seasoning packet -
> just add some ground beef. The "healthy" stuff (i.e. veggies) was left but
> those taco kits disappeared. And then the postal carrier didn't bother to
> pick up the box. I didn't even get a notice about it this year so maybe the
> carriers rebelled against the practice.

Lucky they didn't go Postal! hehe

Sheldon ZIP

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 May 2006 08:39:46 -0500, "jmcquown"

Kajikit said:

>>> stolen... fortunately since the building went condo all of those
>>> families are
>>> long-gone and the complex has gone many notches upmarket so I felt
>>> safe donating this year.

Whether or not you think that shady=poor, Kajikit drew a clear
parallel between the "many notches upmarket" and the quality of the
tenants.

serene
--
Kissing Hank's Ass is 10 years old! http://jhuger.com/kisshank
My personal blog: http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
My new cooking blog: http://serenecooking.livejournal.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking
sd sd is offline

In article . com>,
" > wrote:

> If I am going to spend X amount on food to donate, wouldn't it be more
> useful to buy more of the cheaper brands and have more food to share?
> That's what I do when I shop for myself. Makes sense to keep doing it
> when I am shopping to donate.

One of the issues for many food shelves is the growing number of
minority "customers". Many majority donors don't know about or think
to donate foods which are familiar and desirable to people of
certain ethnic origins. Just because you're poor doesn't mean you've
lost your taste for a particular seasoning or type of noodle. :-)

OB on-topic: In a couple of cities here, the Postal Service
experimented with providing a plastic donation bag along with the
postcard announcing the collection drive. They found that people who
received bags were likely to fill them and donated more food than
those who did not receive bags. Look for a bag in your mail next
year....

sd