Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Kitchen cyber inspection

Does your kitchen make the grade?

http://lapublichealth.org/phcommon/p...quiz/index.cfm

I scored a 91. My grade is "A"
-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"-L." > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Does your kitchen make the grade?
>
> http://lapublichealth.org/phcommon/p...quiz/index.cfm
>
> I scored a 91. My grade is "A"
> -L.
>============

Mine was a 92. The points against me (I presume) were due to eating Raw
Oysters, Not cooking all meats until juices run clear (I like my steaks Med.
Rare!), and I don't take off my wedding ring before cooking.

--
Syssi

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Syssi wrote:

> "-L." > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > Does your kitchen make the grade?
> >
> > http://lapublichealth.org/phcommon/p...quiz/index.cfm
> >
> > I scored a 91. My grade is "A"
> > -L.
> >============

> Mine was a 92. The points against me (I presume) were due to eating Raw
> Oysters, Not cooking all meats until juices run clear (I like my steaks Med.
> Rare!), and I don't take off my wedding ring before cooking.

You did better than I did. I like runny eggs, raw meat, I get flies in the house
in the summer. I swat the little buggers, but I am not spraying poison all over
the place.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 May 2006 19:26:08 GMT, "Syssi" >
wrote:

>"-L." > wrote in message
roups.com...

>> Does your kitchen make the grade?
>>
>> http://lapublichealth.org/phcommon/p...quiz/index.cfm
>>
>> I scored a 91. My grade is "A"
>> -L.
>>============

>Mine was a 92. The points against me (I presume) were due to eating Raw
>Oysters, Not cooking all meats until juices run clear (I like my steaks Med.
>Rare!), and I don't take off my wedding ring before cooking.

I got a 70 because I don't close my windows or have window screens
(!), I eat raw meat, raw fish and raw eggs, and I thaw frozen stuff at
room temp. Not going to change that (see the recent thread on the fact
that it's perfectly safe to thaw at room temp).

Nathalie in Switzerland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 13 May 2006 01:55:58p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nathalie
Chiva?

> On Sat, 13 May 2006 19:26:08 GMT, "Syssi" >
> wrote:
>

>>"-L." > wrote in message
groups.com...

>>> Does your kitchen make the grade?
>>>
>>> http://lapublichealth.org/phcommon/p...quiz/index.cfm
>>>
>>> I scored a 91. My grade is "A"
>>> -L.
>>>============

>>Mine was a 92. The points against me (I presume) were due to eating
>>Raw Oysters, Not cooking all meats until juices run clear (I like my
>>steaks Med. Rare!), and I don't take off my wedding ring before cooking.

> I got a 70 because I don't close my windows or have window screens
> (!), I eat raw meat, raw fish and raw eggs, and I thaw frozen stuff at
> room temp. Not going to change that (see the recent thread on the fact
> that it's perfectly safe to thaw at room temp).
>
> Nathalie in Switzerland

I scored a 93 because I leave leftover pizza on the counter, lightly
covered. It still rates an "A".

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 13 May 2006 02:28:50 -0700, "-L." >
rummaged among random neurons and opined:

>Does your kitchen make the grade?
>
>http://lapublichealth.org/phcommon/p...quiz/index.cfm
>
>I scored a 91. My grade is "A"

I got a 92 - thought fer shur my answer to: "I cook meat thoroughly
until the juices are clear, not bloody" would get me dinged (and maybe
it did), as I like my beef medium rare. And even James Beard thought
Americans overcook poultry - he liked it pink at the bone.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"Most vigitaryans I iver see looked enough like their food to be
classed as cannybals."

Finley Peter Dunne (1900)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nathalie Chiva wrote:
<snip>

>I eat raw meat, raw fish and raw eggs, and I thaw frozen stuff at
> room temp. Not going to change that (see the recent thread on the fact
> that it's perfectly safe to thaw at room temp).

Ok, that makes my skin crawl! Are those cultural differences?

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

-L. wrote:

>Does your kitchen make the grade?
>
>http://lapublichealth.org/phcommon/p...quiz/index.cfm
>
>I scored a 91. My grade is "A"
>-L.

I couldn't be bothered completeing it, but it was an interesting read.
Some of it was the bleedin' obvious, and some of it was a bit strange. I
can hardly store meat below everything else when the fridge is so
constructed that the dedicated meat compartment is at the top - which
happens to be the coldest area. I very rarely cook meat until the juices
run clear, and they don't explain what they mean by "undercooked" eggs
(I am partial to coddled eggs).

And I'm afraid I've got cockroaches, along with half of Melbourne -
there's been a plague, something to do with the weather. We put down
baits but they keep on coming whatever we do, though I must say I
haven't seen one for a while, again possibly to do with the weather. If
only the cats would make themselves useful in that department instead of
restricting their attention to rodents (and marsupials).

A while ago we were at one of our favourite local restaurants (which has
been in business for over 30 years and I am sure is impeccably clean)
and a cockroach appeared on the wall! Using gestures we summoned the
waitress and had it summarily, and silently, removed. Who knows, perhaps
it had wandered in from next door. It was all a bit "don't mention the
war" :-)

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> > Mine was a 92. The points against me (I presume) were due to eating Raw
> > Oysters, Not cooking all meats until juices run clear (I like my steaks Med.
> > Rare!), and I don't take off my wedding ring before cooking.

> You did better than I did. I like runny eggs, raw meat, I get flies in the house
> in the summer. I swat the little buggers, but I am not spraying poison all over
> the place.

You can put some vinegar in a cup and make a funnel cone out of paper.
That will catch the fruit flies. I got an 85 for saying yet to flies,
but that's only a couple times a year if we don't eat the bananas fast
enough. If I say no to flies, I get a 92. I suppose the points against
me are runny eggs, and my fridge. It is really small, so packed full,
and not always that much space between things.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Old Mother Ashby wrote:
<snip>

> And I'm afraid I've got cockroaches, along with half of Melbourne -
> there's been a plague, something to do with the weather. We put down
> baits but they keep on coming whatever we do, though I must say I
> haven't seen one for a while, again possibly to do with the weather. If
> only the cats would make themselves useful in that department instead of
> restricting their attention to rodents (and marsupials).
>
> A while ago we were at one of our favourite local restaurants (which has
> been in business for over 30 years and I am sure is impeccably clean)
> and a cockroach appeared on the wall! Using gestures we summoned the
> waitress and had it summarily, and silently, removed. Who knows, perhaps
> it had wandered in from next door. It was all a bit "don't mention the
> war" :-)
>
> Christine

The only place I have ever been where roaches are absolutely everywhere
is Kauai, Hawaii. You can stay in a regular condo, or a 5-star hotel -
they all have roaches. Its the only drawback to visiting there. It's
a PITA when you are trying to keep and cook your own food.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 13 May 2006 22:02:18 -0700, "-L." > wrote:

>Nathalie Chiva wrote:
><snip>
>
>>I eat raw meat, raw fish and raw eggs, and I thaw frozen stuff at
>> room temp. Not going to change that (see the recent thread on the fact
>> that it's perfectly safe to thaw at room temp).

>Ok, that makes my skin crawl! Are those cultural differences?

Yup. I just can't imagine having to live in a house where I can't open
the windows, I tell you!

Nathalie in Switzerland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

-L. wrote:
:: Does your kitchen make the grade?
::
:: http://lapublichealth.org/phcommon/p...quiz/index.cfm
::
:: I scored a 91. My grade is "A"
:: -L.

94

I like my steaks RARE!

It made me give an answer to re-heating partially cooked foods...I
cook completely or don't cook them 'til I'm ready to completely cook
them. I do quickly cool leftovers that will be re-heated.

BOB

--
Raw Meat Should NOT Have An Ingredients List

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 13 May 2006 02:28:50 -0700, "-L." > wrote:

>Does your kitchen make the grade?
>
>http://lapublichealth.org/phcommon/p...quiz/index.cfm
>
>I scored a 91. My grade is "A"
>-L.

I only got a B... I'm really not sure why it's telling me that I need
to do stuff that I already told it I did on a routine basis! The
biggest things I don't do is that I don't have a thermometer in the
fridge, and when I cool food I don't put it in an ice bath... I was
never taught that that was 'necessary' - food goes from the stove to a
plastic or china container and it's covered so germs can't get in and
left on the counter while we eat, and then put in the fridge after
about thirty minutes to an hour. I've never had food poisoning from
our own food in my life!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
> On 13 May 2006 02:28:50 -0700, "-L." > wrote:
>

> >Does your kitchen make the grade?
> >
> >http://lapublichealth.org/phcommon/p...quiz/index.cfm
> >
> >I scored a 91. My grade is "A"
> >-L.

> I only got a B... I'm really not sure why it's telling me that I need
> to do stuff that I already told it I did on a routine basis! The
> biggest things I don't do is that I don't have a thermometer in the
> fridge, and when I cool food I don't put it in an ice bath... I was
> never taught that that was 'necessary' - food goes from the stove to a
> plastic or china container and it's covered so germs can't get in and
> left on the counter while we eat, and then put in the fridge after
> about thirty minutes to an hour. I've never had food poisoning from
> our own food in my life!

Those are the two things I failed on as well - maybe you are really
just a "A" in disguise.
-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

-L. wrote:
> Does your kitchen make the grade?
>
> http://lapublichealth.org/phcommon/p...quiz/index.cfm
>
> I scored a 91. My grade is "A"
> -L.

I scored 99. I eat sushi and don't remove my wedding ring.

maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>>Does your kitchen make the grade?

I got "below C". Here's what I do wrong:

1. I don't clip my nails before I start cooking. (Who the hell does?)

2. The odd fly gets into the house.

3. My kitchen ceiling needs to be painted. (We're only partly finished
renovating.)

4. I thaw stuff on the counter occasionally. Been doing that all my
life.

5. I put hot leftovers in rubbermaid containers then directly in the
fridge, instead of cooling stuff down first.

I think the main reason I got such a bad grade was because I answered
truthfully that I had mice in my house. (They live in the ceiling over
the family room.) But I've never seen mice droppings anywhere,
especially not the kitchen.

Hell, I live in a 110-year-old farmhouse. *Everyone* around here has
mice.

Jo Anne
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I got a 100. (Really)

Alot of the stuff about keeping it clean and cold is a necessity in
Arizona. Milk left out for 30 minutes at a room temp of 85 to 90 degrees
makes it go bad FAST. I usually pour half a glass and put the container
right back in the fridge. (No I don't drink it from the carton.) I like
my steaks medium-well to well done. Same for chicken, turkey,pork and
hamburger. I don't care for raw eggs but love well done French toast or
eggs scrambled dry. (With just a little brown on them.)

My brother left the milk out overnight when we were kids and actually
got up early to put it back in the fridge before I ate my cereal for
breakfast. After mentioning that I was puking my guts up just an hour
after breakfast he mentioned his deed.

I try to buy stuff in small quantities, keep it cold and use it up or I
throw it out. (Especially milk.) I also wash my hands quite a bit as I
work as a WAN administrator and touch all those keyboards all day long.
I'll be danged if I'm going to eat with hands that have "gone" where all
those hundreds of hands have gone all day.

Just lucky I like stuff well cooked or ice cold I guess. I do wonder if
the American fascination with refrigerating everything is a bit of
overkill. Surfing the web you see the outside markets in Europe, Asia
and the other places around the globe with every type of meat hanging in
mesh baskets at room temperature.

Bart D. Hull

Tempe, Arizona

Check
http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/engine.html
for my Subaru Engine Conversion
Check http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/fuselage.html
for Tango II I'm building.

Remove -nospam to reply via email.

Jo Anne Slaven wrote:
>>> Does your kitchen make the grade?

> I got "below C". Here's what I do wrong:
>
> 1. I don't clip my nails before I start cooking. (Who the hell does?)
>
> 2. The odd fly gets into the house.
>
> 3. My kitchen ceiling needs to be painted. (We're only partly finished
> renovating.)
>
> 4. I thaw stuff on the counter occasionally. Been doing that all my
> life.
>
> 5. I put hot leftovers in rubbermaid containers then directly in the
> fridge, instead of cooling stuff down first.
>
> I think the main reason I got such a bad grade was because I answered
> truthfully that I had mice in my house. (They live in the ceiling over
> the family room.) But I've never seen mice droppings anywhere,
> especially not the kitchen.
>
> Hell, I live in a 110-year-old farmhouse. *Everyone* around here has
> mice.
>
> Jo Anne

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bart D. Hull wrote:

> Just lucky I like stuff well cooked or ice cold I guess.

I like my food well cooked (most people consider it overcooked), and I
like cold things really cold too. I rarely get sick. In 17 years at my
job, I have only missed 5 or 6 days for actually being sick. I've
missed some days for bad asthma attacks, and I missed 2 weeks for
injuring my back last year. But actually catching something is rare.

I can only think of two cases where I had food poisoning. One was a
piece of fish that was cooked the same day I bought it. The label said
it was packed that day. I did think it might have a smell to it, but I
thought I was being paranoid as the smell was so faint. I was puking
the next day. The other time was a hamburger at a fast food place. I
was photographing the horse show at the fairgrounds, so we didn't get a
chance to get dinner til after 9pm. We hit a drive-thru on the way to
the hotel. They were out of baked potatoes, so I ordered two small
bacon cheeseurgers. I was so hungry I ate one in the car. When we got
to the hotel, I took a bite of the second one and saw the red center. I
chucked it, but odds are the two burgers were cooked the same. I
started getting sick the next day, and I spent most of the next night
in the hotel bathroom.

My parents like their meats rare, and my mother has no problem eating
anything that has been left out for ages. Remember that prime rib I
left out overnight?. She wanted me to give it to her, so that she could
cook it up. (I didn't.) She gets sick a lot. Even with a flu shot, she
gets sick at least 3 times a winter, for at least a week at a time.

I do wonder if
> the American fascination with refrigerating everything is a bit of
> overkill. Surfing the web you see the outside markets in Europe, Asia
> and the other places around the globe with every type of meat hanging in
> mesh baskets at room temperature.

Actually, most of the really bad diseases come from places like China,
where dead animals are crammed into markets like that. Ever see some of
those markets? I saw a video last year that was horrible. Live animals
in cages so packed that they could not move, dead animals in there with
them, all covered in feces. Those markets are a breeding ground for
diseases. And they were being sold for food. This is where we get
diseases like bird flu and SARS.

After seeing that, I would never want to travel there. And it makes
sense now why some of my chinese co-workers have so many stomach
problems. No wonder I had to report them so many times for health code
violations. Even their violations are probably nothing compared to what
they are used to doing. They just can't understand why our rules are so
strict.

for cyber Pandora General Cooking 23 16-03-2009 06:59 PM
Parnello's Pizza: 99 in Columbus, GA inspection Will Dockery Restaurants 24 24-01-2009 02:36 AM
INSPECTION Sheldon General Cooking 13 19-04-2007 03:07 AM
Tea style by visual inspection. lubarsky Tea 15 13-12-2006 04:43 AM
Tea pilgrimage: Avongrove inspection Lewis Perin Tea 2 21-03-2005 01:41 AM