Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Using imitation butter forsautéing?

Has anyone tried using one of the heart healthy imitation butter products
for sautéing? I have used "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" to a limited
degree without problem. I haven't tried sautéing or any other aspect of
cooking that taxes the capacity of the fat to withstand heat. As well, I
haven't seen any data about heat breakdown with any of these products.
Does anyone know how to make the "é" symbol? I've never been able to do
this. This "é" was pasted from the word "sautéing".
Does anyone have any thoughts? Thanks for any info about the "é".
Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 May 2006 09:22:01 -0700, "Kent" > wrote:

>Has anyone tried using one of the heart healthy imitation butter products
>for sautéing?

We use EarthBalance and it works just fine.

http://www.earthbalance.net

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Kent" > wrote:

> Has anyone tried using one of the heart healthy imitation butter products
> for sautéing? I have used "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" to a limited
> degree without problem. I haven't tried sautéing or any other aspect of
> cooking that taxes the capacity of the fat to withstand heat. As well, I
> haven't seen any data about heat breakdown with any of these products.
> Does anyone know how to make the "é" symbol? I've never been able to do
> this. This "é" was pasted from the word "sautéing".
> Does anyone have any thoughts? Thanks for any info about the "é".
> Kent

If you're curious, try it and find out. I sometimes saute vegies in a
table spoon or two each of Smart Balance and olive oil. That combination
is healthy and the results turn out fine for me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kent wrote:
> Has anyone tried using one of the heart healthy imitation butter
> products for sautéing? I have used "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter"
> to a limited degree without problem. I haven't tried sautéing or any
> other aspect of cooking that taxes the capacity of the fat to
> withstand heat. As well, I haven't seen any data about heat breakdown
> with any of these products. Does anyone know how to make the "é"
> symbol? I've never been able to do this. This "é" was pasted from the
> word "sautéing".
> Does anyone have any thoughts? Thanks for any info about the "é".
> Kent

Funny thing: before the ubiquitous *they* decided margarine (or other butter
substitutes) were worse for you than butter, everyone since WWII sauteed
using margarine. I'm not quite sure on the WWII thing; I understand silk
was used to make parachutes so there wasn't silk for womens stockings but
I'm not sure what butter had to do with anything

Anyway, I say go for it. As long as you like the taste and you are
otherwise healthy, what's the problem?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
. ..
> Kent wrote:
>> Has anyone tried using one of the heart healthy imitation butter
>> products for sautéing? I have used "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter"
>> to a limited degree without problem. I haven't tried sautéing or any
>> other aspect of cooking that taxes the capacity of the fat to
>> withstand heat. As well, I haven't seen any data about heat breakdown
>> with any of these products. Does anyone know how to make the "é"
>> symbol? I've never been able to do this. This "é" was pasted from the
>> word "sautéing".
>> Does anyone have any thoughts? Thanks for any info about the "é".
>> Kent

> Funny thing: before the ubiquitous *they* decided margarine (or other
> butter
> substitutes) were worse for you than butter, everyone since WWII sauteed
> using margarine. I'm not quite sure on the WWII thing; I understand silk
> was used to make parachutes so there wasn't silk for womens stockings but
> I'm not sure what butter had to do with anything
>
> Anyway, I say go for it. As long as you like the taste and you are
> otherwise healthy, what's the problem?
>
> Jill

Some of these butter substitutes actually have recommendations on the
containers about cooking with the products. However, one needs to own a
container turner tool to read what's on the other side of the box or tub.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doug Kanter" > wrote in
:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> Kent wrote:
>>> Has anyone tried using one of the heart healthy imitation butter
>>> products for sautéing? I have used "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter"
>>> to a limited degree without problem. I haven't tried sautéing or any
>>> other aspect of cooking that taxes the capacity of the fat to
>>> withstand heat. As well, I haven't seen any data about heat
>>> breakdown with any of these products. Does anyone know how to make
>>> the "é" symbol? I've never been able to do this. This "é" was pasted
>>> from the word "sautéing".
>>> Does anyone have any thoughts? Thanks for any info about the "é".
>>> Kent

>> Funny thing: before the ubiquitous *they* decided margarine (or other
>> butter
>> substitutes) were worse for you than butter, everyone since WWII
>> sauteed using margarine. I'm not quite sure on the WWII thing; I
>> understand silk was used to make parachutes so there wasn't silk for
>> womens stockings but I'm not sure what butter had to do with anything
>>

>> Anyway, I say go for it. As long as you like the taste and you are
>> otherwise healthy, what's the problem?
>>
>> Jill
>>

> Some of these butter substitutes actually have recommendations on the
> containers about cooking with the products. However, one needs to own
> a container turner tool to read what's on the other side of the box or
> tub.

Take Control Lite, an imitation butter states "Not recommended for baking
or frying."

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kent wrote:
> Has anyone tried using one of the heart healthy imitation butter products
> for sautéing? I have used "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" to a limited
> degree without problem. I haven't tried sautéing or any other aspect of
> cooking that taxes the capacity of the fat to withstand heat. As well, I
> haven't seen any data about heat breakdown with any of these products.
> Does anyone know how to make the "Ă©" symbol? I've never been able to do
> this. This "é" was pasted from the word "sautéing".
> Does anyone have any thoughts? Thanks for any info about the "Ă©".
> Kent

I can't answer your question about the fake butter but...

If you have a Mac and you want to make the Ă© you just hit option + e and that
gives you the ÂŽ and then you immediately hit the e a second time so the accent
is over the e. So, if you want ĂĄ then you hit option + e and then a.

If you have a pc...I don't know, but you should have a character map somewhere
that shows you what the different keys make and the alt+ tags to get the right
symbol....at least that's how I did it 6 years ago, the last time I used a pc
with any regularity.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Kanter wrote:

> Some of these butter substitutes actually have recommendations on the
> containers about cooking with the products. However, one needs to own a
> container turner tool to read what's on the other side of the box or tub.

this sounds like an amazing tool or product! Do you think Williams Sonoma has
one?

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Kanter wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> Kent wrote:
>>> Has anyone tried using one of the heart healthy imitation butter
>>> products for sautéing? I have used "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter"
>>> to a limited degree without problem. I haven't tried sautéing or any
>>> other aspect of cooking that taxes the capacity of the fat to
>>> withstand heat. As well, I haven't seen any data about heat
>>> breakdown with any of these products. Does anyone know how to make
>>> the "é" symbol? I've never been able to do this. This "é" was
>>> pasted from the word "sautéing".
>>> Does anyone have any thoughts? Thanks for any info about the "é".
>>> Kent

>> Funny thing: before the ubiquitous *they* decided margarine (or other
>> butter
>> substitutes) were worse for you than butter, everyone since WWII
>> sauteed using margarine. I'm not quite sure on the WWII thing; I
>> understand silk was used to make parachutes so there wasn't silk for
>> womens stockings but I'm not sure what butter had to do with
>> anything
>>
>> Anyway, I say go for it. As long as you like the taste and you are
>> otherwise healthy, what's the problem?
>>
>> Jill
>>

> Some of these butter substitutes actually have recommendations on the
> containers about cooking with the products. However, one needs to own
> a container turner tool to read what's on the other side of the box
> or tub.

All I can say is my mom has had better cholesterol readings since she
started using Benecol rather than butter. She's 81 years old. Am I
supposed to argue with this? She uses it to saute, to spread on toast and
use with eggs for breakfast. Go for it, Mom! (she's my best friend, ever.)

Don't forget Mother's Day on 5/14!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

at Thu, 11 May 2006 20:31:37 GMT in
(jmcquown) wrote :

>Kent wrote:
>> Has anyone tried using one of the heart healthy imitation butter
>> products for sautéing? ...

>Funny thing: before the ubiquitous *they* decided margarine (or other
>butter substitutes) were worse for you than butter, everyone since WWII
>sauteed using margarine. I'm not quite sure on the WWII thing; I
>understand silk was used to make parachutes so there wasn't silk for
>womens stockings but I'm not sure what butter had to do with anything

Mostly it had to do with what resources could be diverted into what areas.
Making butter required the use of land, labour, and people that in a war
situation could be better put to uses that served the more immediate needs
of the war machine. Meanwhile margarine by contrast was a by-product of the
same process used to make synthetic fuels for the war, and had the
convenient property of keeping longer so that it was more practical to send
to front-line troops. Hence the agricultural and manufacturing sectors
favoured margarine over butter, making it both more abundant and cheaper.
What I find more interesting is that the butter industry didn't recover
more substantially after the war. You'd have thought that, having lived
through years of deprivation, the consumers would have been only too eager
to return to the real thing. But instead they went for the cheap thing.

--
Alex Rast

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Bubbo > wrote:

> If you have a Mac and you want to make the Ă© you just hit option + e and
> that gives you the ÂŽ and then you immediately hit the e a second time so
> the accent is over the e. So, if you want ĂĄ then you hit option + e and
> then a.

If you have a Mac, please don't even think of using a wannabe newsreader
(like, for example, Pineapple News) with too long quoted lines and the
UTF-8 charset as a default. Feh!

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Fats were used to lubricate machinery. Oil was in short supply
Butter Rationing;
http://archives.cbc.ca/IDC-1-69-1986...fe_society/twt

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kent wrote:
> Has anyone tried using one of the heart healthy imitation butter products
> for sautéing? I have used "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" to a limited
> degree without problem. I haven't tried sautéing or any other aspect of
> cooking that taxes the capacity of the fat to withstand heat. As well, I
> haven't seen any data about heat breakdown with any of these products.
> Does anyone know how to make the "é" symbol? I've never been able to do
> this. This "é" was pasted from the word "sautéing".
> Does anyone have any thoughts? Thanks for any info about the "é".
> Kent

I use Canola Harvest, and it works quite well, but has a low browning
temp so you have to watch it.

-L.
(can't help you with the accent grave)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Found this...
"With the German occupation of Denmark and Holland, two of the major
butter producing
countries of that time, butter was in short supply; therefore wartime
food rationing was
introduced for both butter and margarine.
To reduce inequalities and to follow government's wish to curb the
cost of living, the British
margarine industry voluntarily de-branded and standardised its packs.
This was organised
by one central organisation, Marcome Ltd, which co-operated with the
ministry of Food.
Two types of product were made: the more expensive Special and the
lower priced
Standard.
The profits from one subsidised the other. Due to the continued
shortage of oils and fats
long after the war had finished, these restrictions stayed in place
until 1954"

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I have had good results making grilled cheese sandwiches with "I can't
believe it's not butter". I do it at a lower temp, though you should anyway
to melt the cheese properly.
Kent

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 11 May 2006 09:22:01 -0700, Kent wrote:
>
>> Has anyone tried using one of the heart healthy imitation butter products
>> for sautéing? I have used "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" to a limited
>> degree without problem. I haven't tried sautéing or any other aspect of
>> cooking that taxes the capacity of the fat to withstand heat. As well, I
>> haven't seen any data about heat breakdown with any of these products.
>> Does anyone know how to make the "é" symbol? I've never been able to do
>> this. This "é" was pasted from the word "sautéing".
>> Does anyone have any thoughts? Thanks for any info about the "é".

> You have to look at the oil content of the spread/margarine. If
> it says "Margarine" on the container, you can be guaranteed that
> it has at least 80% fat/oil content, the same as butter.
>
> Products with less than 80% cannot be labeled as margarine -
> they're usually labeled "spread". Anything over 60% should be OK
> for sauteeing. Be careful though. The ICBINButter original
> product is 60-70% oil. But if you get the one with Calcium,
> that's only something like 25%.
>
> Anything less than 60% is only good for smearing on bread. Never
> try and make a grilled cheese sandwich with one of those, for
> example. And certainly don't bake or saute with them (they're
> mostly water and will **** up everything they touch).
>
> -sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack wrote:
> The Bubbo > wrote:
>
>> If you have a Mac and you want to make the é you just hit option + e and
>> that gives you the ® and then you immediately hit the e a second time so
>> the accent is over the e. So, if you want å then you hit option + e and
>> then a.

> If you have a Mac, please don't even think of using a wannabe newsreader
> (like, for example, Pineapple News) with too long quoted lines and the
> UTF-8 charset as a default. Feh!
>
> Victor

Actually, I AM using Pineapple News and I like it a lot. Of all the ones I
tried it has the least irritating interface.

I email with the developer and give him suggestions so if there is an issue I
can toss it his way and let him know.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kent wrote:
> I have had good results making grilled cheese sandwiches with "I can't
> believe it's not butter". I do it at a lower temp, though you should anyway
> to melt the cheese properly.

Grilled process cheese on Wonder bread made with margarine. That just
screams, "WHITE TRASH!"

> Kent
>
> "Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> > On Thu, 11 May 2006 09:22:01 -0700, Kent wrote:
> >
> >> Has anyone tried using one of the heart healthy imitation butter products
> >> for sautéing? I have used "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" to a limited
> >> degree without problem. I haven't tried sautéing or any other aspect of
> >> cooking that taxes the capacity of the fat to withstand heat. As well, I
> >> haven't seen any data about heat breakdown with any of these products.
> >> Does anyone know how to make the "é" symbol? I've never been able to do
> >> this. This "é" was pasted from the word "sautéing".
> >> Does anyone have any thoughts? Thanks for any info about the "é".

> > You have to look at the oil content of the spread/margarine. If
> > it says "Margarine" on the container, you can be guaranteed that
> > it has at least 80% fat/oil content, the same as butter.
> >
> > Products with less than 80% cannot be labeled as margarine -
> > they're usually labeled "spread". Anything over 60% should be OK
> > for sauteeing. Be careful though. The ICBINButter original
> > product is 60-70% oil. But if you get the one with Calcium,
> > that's only something like 25%.
> >
> > Anything less than 60% is only good for smearing on bread. Never
> > try and make a grilled cheese sandwich with one of those, for
> > example. And certainly don't bake or saute with them (they're
> > mostly water and will **** up everything they touch).
> >
> > -sw

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> Kent wrote:
> > Has anyone tried using one of the heart healthy imitation butter
> > products for sautéing? I have used "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter"
> > to a limited degree without problem. I haven't tried sautéing or any
> > other aspect of cooking that taxes the capacity of the fat to
> > withstand heat. As well, I haven't seen any data about heat breakdown
> > with any of these products. Does anyone know how to make the "é"
> > symbol? I've never been able to do this. This "é" was pasted from the
> > word "sautéing".
> > Does anyone have any thoughts? Thanks for any info about the "é".
> > Kent

> Funny thing: before the ubiquitous *they* decided margarine (or other butter
> substitutes) were worse for you than butter, everyone since WWII sauteed
> using margarine.

"*They*," meaning those who rely on research published in reputable
scientific journals?

> I'm not quite sure on the WWII thing; I understand silk
> was used to make parachutes so there wasn't silk for womens stockings but
> I'm not sure what butter had to do with anything
>
> Anyway, I say go for it. As long as you like the taste and you are
> otherwise healthy, what's the problem?

The problem is that trans fats are very bad for you. Unfortunately,
they don't often kill before people are past breeding age, so they do
almost nothing to improve the gene pool.

> Jill

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Bubbo > wrote:

> Victor Sack wrote:
> >
> > If you have a Mac, please don't even think of using a wannabe newsreader
> > (like, for example, Pineapple News) with too long quoted lines and the
> > UTF-8 charset as a default. Feh!

> Actually, I AM using Pineapple News

Why do you think I mentioned it? :-)

> and I like it a lot.

Now, *this* so-called reason is way more irritating than any interface.
I really don't care at all what people like or use to post to Usenet,
not even if it is OE, but I do care about what I get to read as a
result.

> Of all the ones I
> tried it has the least irritating interface.

Have you tried MacSOUP?

> I email with the developer and give him suggestions so if there is an issue I
> can toss it his way and let him know.

Please do. Issue 1: UTF-8 character set as a default. Issue 2: too
long lines (they should be 72 characters).

Victor

Imitation crab? Polly Esther[_2_] General Cooking 49 10-07-2011 09:33 PM
Imitation Pizza & Imitation Bread (with pics) wff_ng_7 General Cooking 4 27-05-2007 06:59 PM
imitation escargot?(snails) Debbie Baking 14 08-09-2004 02:50 AM
Imitation Food Mojav Restaurants 45 01-01-2004 05:13 AM
Imitation crabmeat Kingman Wylie General Cooking 0 22-10-2003 10:46 PM