Posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.food.cooking,alt.gossip.celebrities,rec.photo.digital

Default Population growth: the gift that keeps on taking

Non scrivetemi wrote:
> Population growth is a taker like no other. It takes up more land every day. It takes more water from already overtaxed rivers. It takes more energy resources that are already in tight supply. New subdivisions take the lives of any animal that lives in their path. Growth takes over scenic views we once enjoyed. It takes food from the hungry by dividing it too thinly. It takes its toll on the poor, making them poorer.
>
> It does give in some ways that usually aren't good. It gives us more pollution. It gives us more traffic. It makes us wait in lines that keep getting longer. It brings more noise to once peaceful places. It brings more crime to same. It gives more and more debt to society, paid for by more growth in an endless binge cycle.
>
> The positive things about population growth happened when we still needed more hands to forge modern economies and improve our lot. Now, those hands have become too numerous, often sustained by welfare or hollow job-creation schemes. In a balanced world, few would have to beg for work and widespread chronic hunger would not exist.
>
> Per the laws of nature, physical growth must end at maturity, be it an individual or a large group. Beyond that point, growth only needs to be mental or spiritual. At 6-1/2 billion, we don't need more of us to do our bidding, whatever it may be. We still don't even have a unified purpose on this planet, and overcrowding is certainly not it.
>
> -= The Thinker =-

And the US Government is doing nothing to stem the flow of illegal
aliens.

John

learn mo

http://www.numbersusa.com/

Posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.food.cooking,alt.gossip.celebrities,rec.photo.digital

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Non scrivetemi wrote:
>>
>> -= The Thinker =-

> And the US Government is doing nothing to stem the flow of illegal
> aliens.
>
> John
>
> learn mo
>
> http://www.numbersusa.com/

You could always do something positive, which would solve your problem by
one, and also save us from having to read such crap.

Take a long walk off a short pier.

Roy G

Posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.food.cooking,alt.gossip.celebrities,rec.photo.digital

Roy G wrote:

> Take a long walk off a short pier.
>
> Roy G

heh, haven't heard THAT for years :O)
--
Paul (Everyone around here)
Stop and Look
Posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.food.cooking,alt.gossip.celebrities,rec.photo.digital

was ignorant enough to crosspost this to
rec.sport.football.college,rec.food.cooking,alt.go ssip.celebrities,and
rec.photo.digital:

> Non scrivetemi wrote:
> > Population growth is a taker like no other. It takes up more land every day. It takes more water from already overtaxed rivers. It takes more energy resources that are already in tight supply. New subdivisions take the lives of any animal that lives in their path. Growth takes over scenic views we once enjoyed. It takes food from the hungry by dividing it too thinly. It takes its toll on the poor, making them poorer.

Among other things, there is no lack of food in this country. No one
needs to go hungry in America. Indeed, even the majority of poor people
in America are over-weight. As for the resources, America has so many
resources, that our current usage of most of them is highly wasteful by
world standards. We have plenty of room for more people, and a person
with a name such as Wesley is almost certainly the decendant of a
former immigrant.

> > It does give in some ways that usually aren't good. It gives us more pollution. It gives us more traffic. It makes us wait in lines that keep getting longer. It brings more noise to once peaceful places. It brings more crime to same. It gives more and more debt to society, paid for by more growth in an endless binge cycle.

It also brings more tax revenues, a younger society, and more economic
growth. Are you hoping to collect Social Security ? Young workers are
the only people who can save Social Security. An aging retired
population will spell the death of America.

> > The positive things about population growth happened when we still needed more hands to forge modern economies and improve our lot. Now, those hands have become too numerous, often sustained by welfare or hollow job-creation schemes. In a balanced world, few would have to beg for work and widespread chronic hunger would not exist.

I believe the immigrants are less likely to collect welfare the people
who are born in America. The taxes collected from immigrants more than
pays for the amount they collect as a group. Without immigants, America
would be facing problems similar to other developed countries (such as
Germany), where the native population growth has stagnated and often
decreased below the replacement level. This would mean an aging
population with fewer and fewer people to support the elderly.

> > Per the laws of nature, physical growth must end at maturity, be it an individual or a large group.

There is no such "law of nature". Many creatures continue to grow their
entire lives. What IS natural is for a population to grow until they
can no longer be supported by the resources. America is far from
reaching such a level.

> Beyond that point, growth only needs to be mental or spiritual. At 6-1/2 billion, we don't need more of us to do our bidding, whatever it may be. We still don't even have a unified purpose on this planet, and overcrowding is certainly not it.

Your egocentrism astounds me. Why should there be a unified purpose ?
America is supposed to be "land of the free". How can people be free if
they are not free to have their own purpose ? Why must everyone's
purpose be acceptable to you ?

As for overcrowding, we are no where near such a point. Many years ago,
people wrote similar things, and they used countries like India as an
example. They said things were so bad in India, that it was a hopeless
case, and we should just lety the people die instead of sending food
aid. Since then, India has become self-sufficient in terms of food
production, and the population has continued to grow. The land area of
India is 2,973,190 Sq. KM. The population is over one billion.
America's land area is 9,161,923 Sq KM, which is over three times that
of India. America's population is only about 300 million. That means we
have over three times the land area of India, and less than a third of
the population. Also, our farmers are more productive (per acre) than
India's farmers, so we could easily support a population over ten times
our current population without having to worry about food shortages.

America is also very capable of handling increases in population
density. San Francisco is a very good model in that respect. They have
a population of over 744,000, and only have a land area of 122 sq km.
That is well over 6000 people per sq km, and if property values are any
judge (and they are), it is a very desirable place to live. At this
population density, the entire population of America could live in
50,000 sq km. This is just about one half of one percent of our total
land area. That leaves plenty of room for farming, wilderness, national
parks, and who knows what else.

Finally, note that stemming immigration will do nothing to slow world
population growth. Indeed, it is very likely to do the opposite. Once
in America (or any developed country) populations tend to increase
slower than they do in poverty ridden lands. While I have some concerns
about immigration, and particularly the current level of undocumented
immigration, population growth is certainly not one of them. Maybe
we'll get some better Mexican restaurants, and where I live, we could
really use them.

Dean G.

Posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.food.cooking,alt.gossip.celebrities,rec.photo.digital

On 11 May 2006 04:41:29 -0700, wrote:

<clip>
> And the US Government is doing nothing to stem the flow of illegal aliens.

Don't knock the flow of "illegal aliens" - look on the bright side. The fact
that they have moved into the USA means that they have raised the IQ level in
BOTH countries.
--

Cheers . . . JC

Posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.food.cooking,alt.gossip.celebrities,rec.photo.digital

"Paul Heslop" > wrote in message
> Roy G wrote:
>>

>> Take a long walk off a short pier.
>>
>> Roy G

> heh, haven't heard THAT for years :O)
> --
> Paul (Everyone around here)
> Stop and Look
> http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

Hi.

Probably got something to do with my age.

Something about not being able to teach old dogs new tricks, might be
appropriate.

Roy G

Posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.food.cooking,alt.gossip.celebrities,rec.photo.digital

Roy G wrote:

> "Paul Heslop" > wrote in message
> > Roy G wrote:
> >>

> >> Take a long walk off a short pier.
> >>
> >> Roy G

> > heh, haven't heard THAT for years :O)
> > --
> > Paul (Everyone around here)
> > Stop and Look
> > http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

> Hi.
>
> Probably got something to do with my age.
>
> Something about not being able to teach old dogs new tricks, might be
> appropriate.
>
> Roy G

Shhhhh, you will give all our secrets away!

harumph, hey man, i dig what you're saying, cat... like crazy man.

:O))

TN 2 5th Growth Bordeaux graham Wine 1 17-05-2011 08:24 AM
ot; good to see China taking population control seriousley; Peter Lucas[_19_] General Cooking 11 01-02-2011 10:37 PM
i want Population kaki General Cooking 0 13-01-2008 05:26 PM
growth in vinegar ... what is it? kalanamak General Cooking 15 27-03-2006 12:47 AM
Gift poll: favorite cooking gift jake General Cooking 32 10-12-2005 07:55 PM