Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Vegetarian Camping/Cooking?

I'm hoping someone here can help me...I'm going on a 5 day camping trip
with a girl that I really like who happens to be a vegetarian. This is our
first real excursion together and I kind of want to impress her with my
out-door culinary skills. i.e. I don't just want to bring a cooler full of
Morningstar veggie burgers (I like them, but doubt they would keep).

I'm hoping some of you could toss out some good recipes that would impress
a vegetarian....All we have to cook with is a tiny pro-pane grill.

Like I said, I really want to impress this girl...The trip is for 5 days,
so it has to be food that will keep in a cooler prior to being cooked....

I can come up with some really good *cold food* ideas, but when it comes to
the grill I'm coming up short of ideas....

The only thing I've thought of so far is to make my own veggie burgers from
scratch, or maybe Portabella Fajitas marinated in wine... They would grill
easy...and would make a good meal.

Any other ideas or recipes would be greatly appreciated. The more intricate
the recipe the better. I am a cook by trade...I just don't have experience
in this avenue of cooking. Looking to tap your expertise.

Thanks for any help you have to offer!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wharfrat" > wrote in message
> I'm hoping someone here can help me...I'm going on a 5 day camping trip
> with a girl that I really like who happens to be a vegetarian. This is our
> first real excursion together and I kind of want to impress her with my
> out-door culinary skills. i.e. I don't just want to bring a cooler full of
> Morningstar veggie burgers (I like them, but doubt they would keep).
>
> I'm hoping some of you could toss out some good recipes that would impress
> a vegetarian....All we have to cook with is a tiny pro-pane grill.
>
> Like I said, I really want to impress this girl...The trip is for 5 days,
> so it has to be food that will keep in a cooler prior to being cooked....
>
> I can come up with some really good *cold food* ideas, but when it comes
> the grill I'm coming up short of ideas....
>
> The only thing I've thought of so far is to make my own veggie burgers
> from
> scratch, or maybe Portabella Fajitas marinated in wine... They would grill
> easy...and would make a good meal.
>
> Any other ideas or recipes would be greatly appreciated. The more
> intricate
> the recipe the better. I am a cook by trade...I just don't have experience
> in this avenue of cooking. Looking to tap your expertise.
>
> Thanks for any help you have to offer!

Burger-size portobellos grilled like burgers. Near the end of the cooking
time, put some gorgonzola or bleu cheese in them and cover with foil to
melt, or at least warm the cheese. Toast some whole grain buns while all
this is happening. And, going back in time 30 minutes, have some red bell
pepper rings already cut. Grill them until slightly charred. Serve on top of
burgers. Before putting the tops of the buns in place, sprinkle with just a
little Caesar dressing (oily, NOT creamy). Newman's is perfect.

For dessert, find a way to show her that eating at the Y is a dessert all
women go nuts for.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wharfrat wrote:
> I'm hoping someone here can help me...I'm going on a 5 day camping trip
> with a girl that I really like who happens to be a vegetarian. This is our
> first real excursion together and I kind of want to impress her with my
> out-door culinary skills. i.e. I don't just want to bring a cooler full of
> Morningstar veggie burgers (I like them, but doubt they would keep).
>
> I'm hoping some of you could toss out some good recipes that would impress
> a vegetarian....All we have to cook with is a tiny pro-pane grill.
>
> Like I said, I really want to impress this girl...The trip is for 5 days,
> so it has to be food that will keep in a cooler prior to being cooked....
>
> I can come up with some really good *cold food* ideas, but when it comes to
> the grill I'm coming up short of ideas....
>
> The only thing I've thought of so far is to make my own veggie burgers from
> scratch, or maybe Portabella Fajitas marinated in wine... They would grill
> easy...and would make a good meal.
>
> Any other ideas or recipes would be greatly appreciated. The more intricate
> the recipe the better. I am a cook by trade...I just don't have experience
> in this avenue of cooking. Looking to tap your expertise.
>
> Thanks for any help you have to offer!

my suggestion is to buy a camp stove, or give up vegetarianism.

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.cmayes.net/blog/

"This morning, I woke up
Feeling brand new and I jumped up
Feeling my highs, and my lows
In my soul, and my goals
Just to stop smokin, and stop drinkin
And I've been thinkin - I've got my reasons
Just to get by, just to get by" -Talib Kweli
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wharfrat wrote:

nice nick, btw.
--

saerah(child of deadheads)

http://anisaerah.cmayes.net/blog/

"This morning, I woke up
Feeling brand new and I jumped up
Feeling my highs, and my lows
In my soul, and my goals
Just to stop smokin, and stop drinkin
And I've been thinkin - I've got my reasons
Just to get by, just to get by" -Talib Kweli
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doug Kanter" > wrote in
:

> "Wharfrat" > wrote in message
>> I'm hoping someone here can help me...I'm going on a 5 day camping
>> trip with a girl that I really like who happens to be a vegetarian.
>> This is our first real excursion together and I kind of want to
>> impress her with my out-door culinary skills. i.e. I don't just want
>> to bring a cooler full of Morningstar veggie burgers (I like them,
>> but doubt they would keep).
>>

> Burger-size portobellos grilled like burgers. Near the end of the
> cooking time, put some gorgonzola or bleu cheese in them and cover
> with foil to melt, or at least warm the cheese. Toast some whole grain
> buns while all this is happening. And, going back in time 30 minutes,
> have some red bell pepper rings already cut. Grill them until slightly
> charred. Serve on top of burgers. Before putting the tops of the buns
> in place, sprinkle with just a little Caesar dressing (oily, NOT
> creamy). Newman's is perfect.
>
> For dessert, find a way to show her that eating at the Y is a dessert
> all women go nuts for.

PERFECT!!!! Thanks! I'm hoping to show her the benefits of eating at the Y!
:P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sarah bennett" > wrote in message
. com...
> Wharfrat wrote:
>> I'm hoping someone here can help me...I'm going on a 5 day camping trip
>> with a girl that I really like who happens to be a vegetarian. This is
>> our first real excursion together and I kind of want to impress her with
>> my out-door culinary skills. i.e. I don't just want to bring a cooler
>> full of Morningstar veggie burgers (I like them, but doubt they would
>> keep).
>>
>> I'm hoping some of you could toss out some good recipes that would
>> impress a vegetarian....All we have to cook with is a tiny pro-pane
>> grill.
>>
>> Like I said, I really want to impress this girl...The trip is for 5 days,
>> so it has to be food that will keep in a cooler prior to being cooked....
>>
>> I can come up with some really good *cold food* ideas, but when it comes
>> to the grill I'm coming up short of ideas....
>>
>> The only thing I've thought of so far is to make my own veggie burgers
>> from scratch, or maybe Portabella Fajitas marinated in wine... They would
>> grill easy...and would make a good meal.
>>
>> Any other ideas or recipes would be greatly appreciated. The more
>> intricate the recipe the better. I am a cook by trade...I just don't have
>> experience in this avenue of cooking. Looking to tap your expertise.
>>
>> Thanks for any help you have to offer!

> my suggestion is to buy a camp stove, or give up vegetarianism.

No no no! Not only does he need to prove his cooking skills, but also his
ability to stoke a fire WITHOUT any sort of stove. If it rains, he'll have a
real test on his hands.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sarah bennett > wrote in
. com:

> my suggestion is to buy a camp stove, or give up vegetarianism.

Ummm...That wasn't much help, but thanks anyway. I'm not a vegetarian, but
have tinkered with it in 6 month spans over the past few years. I'm just
looking for some creative ideas. Sorry if that offends you.

Have a nice day!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sarah bennett > wrote in news:ywv8g.24881
:

> Wharfrat wrote:
>
> nice nick, btw.

Thanks...Nice that you caught the reference.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wharfrat wrote:
> sarah bennett > wrote in
> . com:
>

>>my suggestion is to buy a camp stove, or give up vegetarianism.
>>

> Ummm...That wasn't much help, but thanks anyway. I'm not a vegetarian, but
> have tinkered with it in 6 month spans over the past few years. I'm just
> looking for some creative ideas. Sorry if that offends you.
>
> Have a nice day!

it doesn't offend me, i was trying to be cute

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.cmayes.net/blog/

"This morning, I woke up
Feeling brand new and I jumped up
Feeling my highs, and my lows
In my soul, and my goals
Just to stop smokin, and stop drinkin
And I've been thinkin - I've got my reasons
Just to get by, just to get by" -Talib Kweli
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wharfrat wrote:

> I'm hoping some of you could toss out some good recipes that would impress
> a vegetarian. All we have to cook with is a tiny pro-pane grill.

Corn on the cob and still in the husk roasts on a grill.

Vegetable kabobs with mushrooms, sliced peppers, onion, eggplant, can go
in a marinade of oil, vinegar, mustard a few hours before grilling. The
marinade keeps it moist so it doesn't burn on the grill. All
ingredients are fine just being kept cool with no refrigeration.

Cous cous cooks up in boiled water. Add curry powder and diced carrots,
scallions, peppers, etc. Also quinoa and cracked wheat or bulgur wheat
require boiling water, then low cooking times. All can then have
chopped parsley and/or cilantro and shredded vegetables added. Vary the
sauces to include curry one night, Italian seasonings the next, a Greek
variation with feta and olives the third. Lemon juice, grapefruit
juice, or vinegar plus olive oil work.

Eggs.

Will you be able to build an old-fashioned camp fire? Turnips,
rutabaga, sweet potatoes, and carrots, as well as the traditional white
potato, all wrap well in aluminum foil and roast buried in the ashes.
I'd say it was worth it to bring butter and salt.

Try almond or cashew butter instead of or in addition to the traditional
peanut butter.

Take a trip to the gourmet shop for soft chevre cheeses and the best
cheddar you can buy to go with apples. You can also impress her with
Comte which is a natural with apples. Go out of your way to find good
galas. They're available this time of year imported from South America
and worth it.

Don't just get nuts and raisins. Get unsulphered dried apricots, whole
shelled walnuts, dried pears, dried cherries and cranberries. I'd be
impressed.

Fun question, thanks.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wharfrat" > wrote in message
> "Doug Kanter" > wrote in
> :
>
>> "Wharfrat" > wrote in message
>>> I'm hoping someone here can help me...I'm going on a 5 day camping
>>> trip with a girl that I really like who happens to be a vegetarian.
>>> This is our first real excursion together and I kind of want to
>>> impress her with my out-door culinary skills. i.e. I don't just want
>>> to bring a cooler full of Morningstar veggie burgers (I like them,
>>> but doubt they would keep).
>>>

>> Burger-size portobellos grilled like burgers. Near the end of the
>> cooking time, put some gorgonzola or bleu cheese in them and cover
>> with foil to melt, or at least warm the cheese. Toast some whole grain
>> buns while all this is happening. And, going back in time 30 minutes,
>> have some red bell pepper rings already cut. Grill them until slightly
>> charred. Serve on top of burgers. Before putting the tops of the buns
>> in place, sprinkle with just a little Caesar dressing (oily, NOT
>> creamy). Newman's is perfect.
>>
>> For dessert, find a way to show her that eating at the Y is a dessert
>> all women go nuts for.
>>

> PERFECT!!!! Thanks! I'm hoping to show her the benefits of eating at the
> Y!
> :P

By the way, those big mushrooms keep pretty well for a day or two, but if
you want to add a day, marinate them in an acidic dressing before you leave
home. Caesar, balsamic, etc. But NOTHING CREAMY.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Kanter wrote:
> "sarah bennett" > wrote in message
> . com...
>> Wharfrat wrote:
>>> I'm hoping someone here can help me...I'm going on a 5 day camping
>>> trip with a girl that I really like who happens to be a vegetarian.
>>> This is our first real excursion together and I kind of want to
>>> impress her with my out-door culinary skills. i.e. I don't just
>>> want to bring a cooler full of Morningstar veggie burgers (I like
>>> them, but doubt they would keep).
>>>
>>> I'm hoping some of you could toss out some good recipes that would
>>> impress a vegetarian....All we have to cook with is a tiny pro-pane
>>> grill.
>>>
>>> Like I said, I really want to impress this girl...The trip is for 5
>>> days, so it has to be food that will keep in a cooler prior to
>>> being cooked....
>>>
>>> I can come up with some really good *cold food* ideas, but when it
>>> comes to the grill I'm coming up short of ideas....
>>>
>>> The only thing I've thought of so far is to make my own veggie
>>> burgers from scratch, or maybe Portabella Fajitas marinated in
>>> wine... They would grill easy...and would make a good meal.
>>>
>>> Any other ideas or recipes would be greatly appreciated. The more
>>> intricate the recipe the better. I am a cook by trade...I just
>>> don't have experience in this avenue of cooking. Looking to tap
>>> your expertise.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help you have to offer!

>> my suggestion is to buy a camp stove, or give up vegetarianism.

> No no no! Not only does he need to prove his cooking skills, but
> also his ability to stoke a fire WITHOUT any sort of stove. If it
> rains, he'll have a real test on his hands.

Absolutely. There's nothing like a real wood fire (and you go gather the
wood yourself! BTDT). Brew some coffee or tea, sweetened with honey.

She can't be adverse to vegetables so (to the OP) take along a cooler of ice
and diced veggies. Pack some in foil (heavy duty) and bake them along side
the hot coals. Or do baked potatoes in the coals. Those are nice!

If you have a dutch oven the possibilities for vegetarian stew are endless.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler wrote:
> Wharfrat wrote:
>
>> I'm hoping some of you could toss out some good recipes that would
>> impress a vegetarian. All we have to cook with is a tiny pro-pane
>> grill.

> Corn on the cob and still in the husk roasts on a grill.

Great idea! And don't be afraid when the husks turn black but a tip is to
soak them in water for an hour first.

> Vegetable kabobs with mushrooms, sliced peppers, onion, eggplant, can
> go
> in a marinade of oil, vinegar, mustard a few hours before grilling.
> The marinade keeps it moist so it doesn't burn on the grill. All
> ingredients are fine just being kept cool with no refrigeration.
>

> Cous cous cooks up in boiled water. Add curry powder and diced
> carrots, scallions, peppers, etc. Also quinoa and cracked wheat or
> bulgur wheat require boiling water, then low cooking times. All can
> then have
> chopped parsley and/or cilantro and shredded vegetables added. Vary
> the sauces to include curry one night, Italian seasonings the next, a
> Greek variation with feta and olives the third. Lemon juice,
> grapefruit
> juice, or vinegar plus olive oil work.
>

> Eggs.
>

> Will you be able to build an old-fashioned camp fire? Turnips,
> rutabaga, sweet potatoes, and carrots, as well as the traditional
> white potato, all wrap well in aluminum foil and roast buried in the
> ashes.
> I'd say it was worth it to bring butter and salt.

Yes, Ma'am! Absolutely. And any other spices that one wants!

> Try almond or cashew butter instead of or in addition to the
> traditional peanut butter.
>

> Take a trip to the gourmet shop for soft chevre cheeses and the best
> cheddar you can buy to go with apples. You can also impress her with
> Comte which is a natural with apples. Go out of your way to find good
> galas. They're available this time of year imported from South
> America
> and worth it.
>

> Don't just get nuts and raisins. Get unsulphered dried apricots,
> whole shelled walnuts, dried pears, dried cherries and cranberries.
> I'd be impressed.
>

> Fun question, thanks.
>

> --Lia

Dang, Lia, I'd go camping with you anytime and I'm not even a vegetarian!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in
:

> Doug Kanter wrote:
>> "sarah bennett" > wrote in message
>> . com...

>>> my suggestion is to buy a camp stove, or give up vegetarianism.

>> No no no! Not only does he need to prove his cooking skills, but
>> also his ability to stoke a fire WITHOUT any sort of stove. If it
>> rains, he'll have a real test on his hands.

> Absolutely. There's nothing like a real wood fire (and you go gather
> the wood yourself! BTDT). Brew some coffee or tea, sweetened with
> honey.
>
> She can't be adverse to vegetables so (to the OP) take along a cooler
> of ice and diced veggies. Pack some in foil (heavy duty) and bake
> them along side the hot coals. Or do baked potatoes in the coals.
> Those are nice!
>
> If you have a dutch oven the possibilities for vegetarian stew are
> endless.
>
> Jill

WOW! I'm getting so many responses so fast I can't even respond to them
all!!!!

Thanks Everyone!!!

I'm not sure if the place we're staying at allows us to have a camp-
fire. I realize that adds a whole new deminsion to what I can cook, but
simply stated that I only have a tiny propane grill to simplify
things...

Thanks again for all the great advice!

You guys rock! none of the other cooking sites I've posted this to have
given me a single response yet. This is sooo cool! you guys have offered
me some amazing ideas! Please keep them coming!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

How would you recommend using quinoa in a camping situation? At the
restaurant I work in we use it quite frequently but it usually involves
eggs...quinoa cakes.

I LOVE your response!!!! Thank You!!!

Maybe I could pre-make a Polenta and slowly warm it over a grill? But what
would I serve that with?

You opened up the door to making this a "Fine Dining" experience, which I
was hoping for since I want to impress this girl.

I really want to hear more ideas from you!

Perhaps I could have Portobellas encrusted with a Panko/Asiago
mixture....deep-fried over the grill (will that work? can I try to "deep-
fry" portas over a tiny gas grill? or fry in a pan?) and stuffed with
ummmmm some sort of spinach pesto?

ok...now I have to figure out how to make a spinach pesto.

Thanks for opening up the doors....Please open more!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sarah bennett > wrote in
. com:

> Wharfrat wrote:
>> sarah bennett > wrote in
>> . com:
>>

>>>my suggestion is to buy a camp stove, or give up vegetarianism.
>>>

>> Ummm...That wasn't much help, but thanks anyway. I'm not a
>> vegetarian, but have tinkered with it in 6 month spans over the past
>> few years. I'm just looking for some creative ideas. Sorry if that
>> offends you.
>>
>> Have a nice day!

> it doesn't offend me, i was trying to be cute

OK...I apologize....I thought you were trying to be mean. The one thing
I've noticed about asking for advice on USENET is that people tend to be
very synical.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wharfrat wrote:
> sarah bennett > wrote in
> . com:
>

>>Wharfrat wrote:
>>
>>>sarah bennett > wrote in
gy.com:

>>>Ummm...That wasn't much help, but thanks anyway. I'm not a
>>>vegetarian, but have tinkered with it in 6 month spans over the past
>>>few years. I'm just looking for some creative ideas. Sorry if that
>>>offends you.
>>>
>>>Have a nice day!

>>it doesn't offend me, i was trying to be cute
>>

> OK...I apologize....I thought you were trying to be mean. The one thing
> I've noticed about asking for advice on USENET is that people tend to be
> very synical.

Yes, that's certainly true. I really do think you shoudl invest in a
camp stove, or at leats a grate you can put over a wood fire, so you
don't waste charcoal/gas trying to boil water etc.

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.cmayes.net/blog/

"This morning, I woke up
Feeling brand new and I jumped up
Feeling my highs, and my lows
In my soul, and my goals
Just to stop smokin, and stop drinkin
And I've been thinkin - I've got my reasons
Just to get by, just to get by" -Talib Kweli
Posted to rec.food.cooking

About quinoa-- I buy it at the health food store. I rinse it to get it
free of dust and dirt. Then I boil 3 parts water, add 1 part quinoa,
lower the heat, cover, and wait 15 minutes. In a camping situation
where I didn't have all my equipment, I'd boil extra water and strain
off the excess. My basic recipe is a sort of quinoa tabouleh. I add
chopped parsley and salad dressing. As I said in my earlier post, feta
cheese or thinly chopped vegetables go nicely. I've never put eggs with
quinoa. That's not to say that it doesn't work, only that I've never
done it.

Polenta! <dope slap> I didn't think of polenta. Perfect. I eat it as
porridge, but it is also nice with tomato sauce. Again, this works for
camping since there are good canned or jarred tomato sauces that don't
require cooking or refrigeration.

You may know more about camping than I do, but I don't recommend deep
frying because you don't have a lot of control over temperature with
camping equipment. At least with water, you can boil it, then remove it
from the fire altogether. If your food gets too cold, you can always
bring it to a boil again. With oil, you don't want it to smoke, but
frying in too-cold oil is horrible. Besides, I'm female, and I'm not
impressed with fried food.

You can make pesto (any sort) with a mortar and pestle, but I really
recommend the food processor. Pesto doesn't keep that well. I don't
recommend it for camping. But just for general knowledge, spinach pesto
is made by combining spinach, garlic, nuts, cheese and oil in a food
processor. Google for an exact recipe.

If you really want to thank us for the ideas, tell us how the trip went
when you get back. I'd like to hear which ideas were a hit and which
ones flopped, how the equipment worked, what you wished you'd done
differently, etc.

--Lia

Wharfrat wrote:
> How would you recommend using quinoa in a camping situation? At the
> restaurant I work in we use it quite frequently but it usually involves
> eggs...quinoa cakes.
>
> I LOVE your response!!!! Thank You!!!
>
> Maybe I could pre-make a Polenta and slowly warm it over a grill? But what
> would I serve that with?
>
> You opened up the door to making this a "Fine Dining" experience, which I
> was hoping for since I want to impress this girl.
>
> I really want to hear more ideas from you!
>
> Perhaps I could have Portobellas encrusted with a Panko/Asiago
> mixture....deep-fried over the grill (will that work? can I try to "deep-
> fry" portas over a tiny gas grill? or fry in a pan?) and stuffed with
> ummmmm some sort of spinach pesto?
>
> ok...now I have to figure out how to make a spinach pesto.
>
> Thanks for opening up the doors....Please open more!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Dang, Lia, I'd go camping with you anytime and I'm not even a vegetarian!

Aw, shucks. I'm not vegetarian either. I just love impressing the hell
out of people.

There was one overnight camping trip we took in the Everglades many
years ago. It was organized by a folk music group I was involved with.
This was not primitive camping. The camp grounds had charcoal grills,
restrooms a short distance away and designated places for tents. The
idea was for everyone to bring their own cooler with food, have dinner
either by yourself or to share, then go to a sort-of open air building
for folk dancing.

It was only overnight and one meal out so refrigeration wasn't a
problem. Cars were parked a short distance off so while you didn't want
to bring a ton of stuff, making 2 trips to the car for supplies wasn't
impossible. (We brought the usual camping equipment of tent and
sleeping bags, plus both dogs.) Most people brought peanut butter and
jelly or hamburgers and hotdogs for the grills. Jim and I brought
marinated mahi mahi, the vegetable kabobs I mentioned, and fresh hulled
strawberries. I small stainless mixing bowl, whip and carton of cream
completed the menu. While others were eating jell-o packs for dessert,
we were whipping cream right there under the stars. If I got my wish,
they were all still talking about that meal WEEKS afterwards. I love
impressing people.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wharfrat" > wrote in message
> I'm hoping someone here can help me...I'm going on a 5 day camping trip
> with a girl that I really like who happens to be a vegetarian. This is our
> first real excursion together and I kind of want to impress her with my
> out-door culinary skills. i.e. I don't just want to bring a cooler full of
> Morningstar veggie burgers (I like them, but doubt they would keep).
>
> I'm hoping some of you could toss out some good recipes that would impress
> a vegetarian....All we have to cook with is a tiny pro-pane grill.

http://www.woodfolks.com/euell_gibbons.htm
Euell knows what to do.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Wharfrat > wrote:

> I'm hoping someone here can help me...I'm going on a 5 day camping trip
> with a girl that I really like who happens to be a vegetarian. This is our
> first real excursion together and I kind of want to impress her with my
> out-door culinary skills. i.e. I don't just want to bring a cooler full of
> Morningstar veggie burgers (I like them, but doubt they would keep).
>
> I'm hoping some of you could toss out some good recipes that would impress
> a vegetarian....All we have to cook with is a tiny pro-pane grill.
>
> Like I said, I really want to impress this girl...The trip is for 5 days,
> so it has to be food that will keep in a cooler prior to being cooked....
>
> I can come up with some really good *cold food* ideas, but when it comes to
> the grill I'm coming up short of ideas....

Squash keep fairly well and grilled summer (or even winter) squash is
the GODS! Winter squash will keep outside of the cooler. :-) I'd
recommend butternut and/or acorn. Corn on the cob is also excellent
grilled. Endive works too, as do onions and of course, potatoes and yams.
Hit the produce section for more ideas. Lots of fresh veggies go well
grilled and there are some veggies that should keep well in a cooler or
at room temp.

You could probably make veggie patties out of a variety of mixed, grated
items with various herbs and spices.

> The only thing I've thought of so far is to make my own veggie burgers from
> scratch, or maybe Portabella Fajitas marinated in wine... They would grill
> easy...and would make a good meal.
>
> Any other ideas or recipes would be greatly appreciated. The more intricate
> the recipe the better. I am a cook by trade...I just don't have experience
> in this avenue of cooking. Looking to tap your expertise.
>
> Thanks for any help you have to offer!

Don't try to get too fancy. I'd keep it fairly simple.
Not sure how well portabellos would keep in a cooler? IME mushrooms are
only good refrigerated for a very few days but if you do them the first
night or two, that would be delicious!

I like to marinate veggies (and some meats) for grilling in a simple
Italian style salad dressing, or a dijon mustard dressing.

Hope this helps?
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sarah bennett wrote:
> Wharfrat wrote:
>> sarah bennett > wrote in
>> . com:
>>

>>>my suggestion is to buy a camp stove, or give up vegetarianism.
>>>

>> Ummm...That wasn't much help, but thanks anyway. I'm not a vegetarian, but
>> have tinkered with it in 6 month spans over the past few years. I'm just
>> looking for some creative ideas. Sorry if that offends you.
>>
>> Have a nice day!

> it doesn't offend me, i was trying to be cute

and cute you will always be!

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wharfrat wrote:
> I'm hoping someone here can help me...I'm going on a 5 day camping trip
> with a girl that I really like who happens to be a vegetarian. This is our
> first real excursion together and I kind of want to impress her with my
> out-door culinary skills. i.e. I don't just want to bring a cooler full of
> Morningstar veggie burgers (I like them, but doubt they would keep).
>
> I'm hoping some of you could toss out some good recipes that would impress
> a vegetarian....All we have to cook with is a tiny pro-pane grill.
>
> Like I said, I really want to impress this girl...The trip is for 5 days,
> so it has to be food that will keep in a cooler prior to being cooked....
>
> I can come up with some really good *cold food* ideas, but when it comes to
> the grill I'm coming up short of ideas....
>
> The only thing I've thought of so far is to make my own veggie burgers from
> scratch, or maybe Portabella Fajitas marinated in wine... They would grill
> easy...and would make a good meal.
>
> Any other ideas or recipes would be greatly appreciated. The more intricate
> the recipe the better. I am a cook by trade...I just don't have experience
> in this avenue of cooking. Looking to tap your expertise.
>
> Thanks for any help you have to offer!

Is this car camping (with your car there at the campsite) or backwoods
camping?
Last summer we went to the Boundary Waters and went primitive and the only
meat we brought was some summer sausage (which I grilled over the fire,
tasty), otherwise it was absolutely easier to not have meat or anything that
had to be kept cool.

Mostly we had soup and pasta mixes (and marshmallows!).

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Bubbo wrote:
> sarah bennett wrote:
>
>>Wharfrat wrote:
>>
>>>sarah bennett > wrote in
gy.com:

>>>Ummm...That wasn't much help, but thanks anyway. I'm not a vegetarian, but
>>>have tinkered with it in 6 month spans over the past few years. I'm just
>>>looking for some creative ideas. Sorry if that offends you.
>>>
>>>Have a nice day!

>>it doesn't offend me, i was trying to be cute
>>

> and cute you will always be!

aw, gee, thanks!

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.cmayes.net/blog/

"This morning, I woke up
Feeling brand new and I jumped up
Feeling my highs, and my lows
In my soul, and my goals
Just to stop smokin, and stop drinkin
And I've been thinkin - I've got my reasons
Just to get by, just to get by" -Talib Kweli
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Bubbo wrote:

> Is this car camping (with your car there at the campsite) or backwoods
> camping?
> Last summer we went to the Boundary Waters and went primitive and the only
> meat we brought was some summer sausage (which I grilled over the fire,
> tasty), otherwise it was absolutely easier to not have meat or anything that
> had to be kept cool.
>
> Mostly we had soup and pasta mixes (and marshmallows!).

That's no fun. I have been on canoe trips and had meat, eggs and cheese for five
days.
We took steaks for the first night. I had chunks of double smoked bacon that I
got at a local deli and had them vacuum pack it, and also had them vacuum pack
cheese in 1/4 pound chunks. I took along cooking oil and, onions and garlic and
a can of grated Parmesan. We cooked Pasta Carbonara.

We had breakfast very early in the morning, hot meal with demera sugar and made
drip coffee. We were in the water and on our way before 7 each morning. We
stopped once in the morning for a quick snack and then again at noon, made
coffee or tea, Bannock bread and cheese and then back into the canoe within an
hour. We stopped each day for supper around 4. On the last dinner we had the
freeze dried food and some cheese.

On the last night we were on the second lake in from the road. We slept in a bit
that day, had a light breakfast, packed up and hit the water, crossed the last
portage and headed for the the parking lot where the car was. Luckily there was a
restaurant there and we went in for a coffee and a bite to eat. We were actually
more interested in sitting down at a table with cushioned chairs than the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Dang, Lia, I'd go camping with you anytime and I'm not even a
>> vegetarian!

> Aw, shucks. I'm not vegetarian either. I just love impressing the
> hell
> out of people.
>

> There was one overnight camping trip we took in the Everglades many
> years ago. It was organized by a folk music group I was involved
> with. This was not primitive camping. The camp grounds had
> charcoal grills, restrooms a short distance away and designated
> places for tents. The
> idea was for everyone to bring their own cooler with food, have dinner
> either by yourself or to share, then go to a sort-of open air building
> for folk dancing.
>

> It was only overnight and one meal out so refrigeration wasn't a
> problem. Cars were parked a short distance off so while you didn't
> want
> to bring a ton of stuff, making 2 trips to the car for supplies wasn't
> impossible. (We brought the usual camping equipment of tent and
> sleeping bags, plus both dogs.) Most people brought peanut butter and
> jelly or hamburgers and hotdogs for the grills. Jim and I brought
> marinated mahi mahi, the vegetable kabobs I mentioned, and fresh
> hulled strawberries. I small stainless mixing bowl, whip and carton
> of cream completed the menu. While others were eating jell-o packs
> for dessert,
> we were whipping cream right there under the stars. If I got my wish,
> they were all still talking about that meal WEEKS afterwards. I love
> impressing people.
>

> --Lia

Well the one and only time I went camping as an adult we dug latrines,
pitched our own tents (I had my dog Sampson with me) and had to gather
firewood and stones to make the stove. We did have the luxury of ice in
coolers and brought along vegetables and flour and eggs to make pancakes.

I'd also suggest potato soup for the OP.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wharfrat wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in
> :
>
>> Doug Kanter wrote:
>>> "sarah bennett" > wrote in message
>>> . com...

>>> No no no! Not only does he need to prove his cooking skills, but
>>> also his ability to stoke a fire WITHOUT any sort of stove. If it
>>> rains, he'll have a real test on his hands.

>> Absolutely. There's nothing like a real wood fire (and you go gather
>> the wood yourself! BTDT). Brew some coffee or tea, sweetened with
>> honey.
>>
>> She can't be adverse to vegetables so (to the OP) take along a cooler
>> of ice and diced veggies. Pack some in foil (heavy duty) and bake
>> them along side the hot coals. Or do baked potatoes in the coals.
>> Those are nice!
>>
>> If you have a dutch oven the possibilities for vegetarian stew are
>> endless.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> WOW! I'm getting so many responses so fast I can't even respond to
> them all!!!!
>
> Thanks Everyone!!!
>
> I'm not sure if the place we're staying at allows us to have a camp-
> fire. I realize that adds a whole new deminsion to what I can cook,
> but simply stated that I only have a tiny propane grill to simplify
> things...
>
> Thanks again for all the great advice!
>
> You guys rock! none of the other cooking sites I've posted this to
> have given me a single response yet. This is sooo cool! you guys have
> offered me some amazing ideas! Please keep them coming!

Find out if you can take a hibachi. Propane will only get you so far but
you can pack some lump coals. My SO travels hundred miles at a time,
sometimes without any way to cook other than a hibachi. Perhaps grilled
cheese sandwiches for lunch?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wharfrat" > wrote in message
> I'm hoping someone here can help me...I'm going on a 5 day camping trip
> with a girl that I really like who happens to be a vegetarian. This is our
> first real excursion together and I kind of want to impress her with my
> out-door culinary skills. i.e. I don't just want to bring a cooler full of
> Morningstar veggie burgers (I like them, but doubt they would keep).
>
> I'm hoping some of you could toss out some good recipes that would impress
> a vegetarian....All we have to cook with is a tiny pro-pane grill.
>
> Like I said, I really want to impress this girl...The trip is for 5 days,
> so it has to be food that will keep in a cooler prior to being cooked....
>
> I can come up with some really good *cold food* ideas, but when it comes

> the grill I'm coming up short of ideas....
>
> The only thing I've thought of so far is to make my own veggie burgers

from
> scratch, or maybe Portabella Fajitas marinated in wine... They would grill
> easy...and would make a good meal.
>
> Any other ideas or recipes would be greatly appreciated. The more

intricate
> the recipe the better. I am a cook by trade...I just don't have experience
> in this avenue of cooking. Looking to tap your expertise.
>
> Thanks for any help you have to offer!

I'm reading this whole thread and I can't believe no one has thought of a
veggie fajita. Yeah, I know it's not technically a fajita if you don't use
a fajita cut of beef, but peppers and onions, grilled and wrapped in a
tortilla would be good, IMO.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kili wrote:

> veggie fajita. Yeah, I know it's not technically a fajita if you don't
> use a fajita cut of beef, but peppers and onions, grilled and wrapped
> in a tortilla would be good, IMO.

When I first moved to San Diego, I lived near a yuppie restaurant named the
Kiva Grill. Their veggie fajitas were OUTSTANDING. Besides the peppers and
onions, I remember zucchini, yellow squash, and tomatoes. (In this
particular case, it's BETTER if the tomatoes aren't completely ripe.)

(Of course, it helped that the tortillas were freshly made and luscious, a
Monterey Jack sauce was poured over the veggies when they were served, there
a couple very good salsas on the table, and the place served what might have
been the best margaritas in town.)

I've seen mushrooms added to veggie fajitas, but they strike me as being
out-of-place there. I'd stick with peppers, onions, scallions, the summer
squashes, and tomatoes. Maybe snow peas if I *needed* something more.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wharfrat" > wrote in message
> "jmcquown" > wrote in
> :
>
>> Doug Kanter wrote:
>>> "sarah bennett" > wrote in message
>>> . com...

>>> No no no! Not only does he need to prove his cooking skills, but
>>> also his ability to stoke a fire WITHOUT any sort of stove. If it
>>> rains, he'll have a real test on his hands.

>> Absolutely. There's nothing like a real wood fire (and you go gather
>> the wood yourself! BTDT). Brew some coffee or tea, sweetened with
>> honey.
>>
>> She can't be adverse to vegetables so (to the OP) take along a cooler
>> of ice and diced veggies. Pack some in foil (heavy duty) and bake
>> them along side the hot coals. Or do baked potatoes in the coals.
>> Those are nice!
>>
>> If you have a dutch oven the possibilities for vegetarian stew are
>> endless.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> WOW! I'm getting so many responses so fast I can't even respond to them
> all!!!!
>
> Thanks Everyone!!!
>
> I'm not sure if the place we're staying at allows us to have a camp-
> fire. I realize that adds a whole new deminsion to what I can cook, but
> simply stated that I only have a tiny propane grill to simplify
> things...
>
> Thanks again for all the great advice!
>
> You guys rock! none of the other cooking sites I've posted this to have
> given me a single response yet. This is sooo cool! you guys have offered
> me some amazing ideas! Please keep them coming!

Actually, I just thought of something. If it's a popular public campground,
it doesn't matter whether campfires are allowed. Your fate may be determined
by wood supply. In busy campgrounds, the woods are pretty much picked over.
If, on your way to the place, you see little piles of wood in peoples'
yards, with signs saying "camping firewood $5.00", you'll know what you're
dealing with. Beware of that firewood. Sometimes, it's pine, sold for the
inexperienced. You'll smoke out the whole campsite. It will not be
enjoyable.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wharfrat" > wrote in message
> sarah bennett > wrote in
> . com:
>

>> my suggestion is to buy a camp stove, or give up vegetarianism.
>>

> Ummm...That wasn't much help, but thanks anyway. I'm not a vegetarian, but
> have tinkered with it in 6 month spans over the past few years. I'm just
> looking for some creative ideas. Sorry if that offends you.
>
> Have a nice day!

How about lobster, but tell her it's a vegetarian version from Morningstar
Farms. Precook at home, bury in ice, serve sliced over salad with remoulade.
"Wow! Isn't it amazing what they can do with tofu nowadays?"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> Kili wrote:
>
> > veggie fajita. Yeah, I know it's not technically a fajita if you don't
> > use a fajita cut of beef, but peppers and onions, grilled and wrapped
> > in a tortilla would be good, IMO.

> When I first moved to San Diego, I lived near a yuppie restaurant named

the
> Kiva Grill. Their veggie fajitas were OUTSTANDING. Besides the peppers and
> onions, I remember zucchini, yellow squash, and tomatoes. (In this
> particular case, it's BETTER if the tomatoes aren't completely ripe.)
>
> (Of course, it helped that the tortillas were freshly made and luscious, a
> Monterey Jack sauce was poured over the veggies when they were served,

there
> a couple very good salsas on the table, and the place served what might

have
> been the best margaritas in town.)
>
> I've seen mushrooms added to veggie fajitas, but they strike me as being
> out-of-place there. I'd stick with peppers, onions, scallions, the summer
> squashes, and tomatoes. Maybe snow peas if I *needed* something more.
>
> Bob

Your post is making me drool, Bob. Dang, all your suggestions sound
excellent!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 May 2006, Doug Kanter wrote:

> "Wharfrat" > wrote in message
>> sarah bennett > wrote in
>> . com:
>>

>>> my suggestion is to buy a camp stove, or give up vegetarianism.

As for camping and cooking -- there are tons of dehydrated meals that work
just fine. I might recommend the Lentil bisque, as it actually has
calories. Are we dealing with vegan, or vegetarian?

Lena

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 May 2006, jmcquown wrote:

> Wharfrat wrote:
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in
>> :

>>> Absolutely. There's nothing like a real wood fire (and you go gather
>>> the wood yourself! BTDT). Brew some coffee or tea, sweetened with
>>> honey.
>>>
>>> She can't be adverse to vegetables so (to the OP) take along a cooler
>>> of ice and diced veggies. Pack some in foil (heavy duty) and bake
>>> them along side the hot coals. Or do baked potatoes in the coals.
>>> Those are nice!
>>>
>>> If you have a dutch oven the possibilities for vegetarian stew are
>>> endless.
>>>
>>> Jill
>>>

>> WOW! I'm getting so many responses so fast I can't even respond to
>> them all!!!!
>>
>> Thanks Everyone!!!
>>
>> I'm not sure if the place we're staying at allows us to have a camp-
>> fire. I realize that adds a whole new deminsion to what I can cook,
>> but simply stated that I only have a tiny propane grill to simplify
>> things...
>>
>> Thanks again for all the great advice!
>>
>> You guys rock! none of the other cooking sites I've posted this to
>> have given me a single response yet. This is sooo cool! you guys have
>> offered me some amazing ideas! Please keep them coming!

> Find out if you can take a hibachi. Propane will only get you so far but
> you can pack some lump coals. My SO travels hundred miles at a time,
> sometimes without any way to cook other than a hibachi. Perhaps grilled
> cheese sandwiches for lunch?

Use an alcohol burning stove. Much cleaner than propane, and a heck of a
lot easier to transport.

Lena
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 May 2006, Wharfrat wrote:

> How would you recommend using quinoa in a camping situation? At the
> restaurant I work in we use it quite frequently but it usually involves
> eggs...quinoa cakes.

Never in a million years. Takes too much heat. But I do backwoods
camping, most of the time -- and that means you carry fuel on your back.
Couscous, ramen, anything that cooks in "boiled" water (make the water
boil, then let it sit).

Lena
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

I ahve very fond memories of vegetarian tacos/tortillas/burritos while
camping. We used beans, sour cream, (canned) corn, iceberg, tomatoes, cheese
and onions as fillings.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"tofuqueen" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Wharfrat wrote:
>> sarah bennett > wrote in
>> . com:

>> > it doesn't offend me, i was trying to be cute
>> >

>> OK...I apologize....I thought you were trying to be mean. The one thing
>> I've noticed about asking for advice on USENET is that people tend to be
>> very synical.

> I have found that in usenet and in real life, people in general tend to
> be very cynical about vegetarianism. I can say, in all honesty, my
> in-laws are at the top of the list. Their diet is so incredibly horrid
> (a lot of fast food, white bread, saturated fats, etc.) and they both
> have major health issues that can/should be controlled with diet.
> Neither of them care yet they are super critical of my diet and how I
> feed my family (my daughter and I were vegan for 8 years and are just
> veggie now).

Sometimes, local newspapers have little ads for cemeteries. Clip them, save
them, and hand them to your in-laws every time they open their stupid
mouths.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I never went camping as a child. (My parents' idea of roughing it was
vacationing in a municipality where the neighbors had gardens and there
was no city garbage pick-up.) Friends started taking me as an adult,
and I loved it though I never did anything too challenging. Mostly it
has been a matter of day hikes or overnights where you pack the car and
hike out to the campgrounds. The fun part is cooking and sleeping
outside, not seeing how far and how long you can carry a bunch of stuff
on your back.

At home, in Florida, the dogs always slept in the house on the cool
terrazzo floors. I never thought about making sure they had special
beds so I was surprised when they objected to being asked to sleep on
the ground in the tent with nothing special under them. After they
started whining and refusing to curl up, I realized that it was colder
out there than I'd bargained for and had to come up with make-shift dog
blankets for their comfort. Once I emptied the pack of all excess
clothing, both clean and not, and let the dogs sleep on that, they were
fine. That's me in a nutshell: I remember a stainless bowl, wire whip
and cream for strawberries, then forget that dogs can't be expected to
sleep on the ground when it is 40 degrees outside.

(This might be a good time to introduce the original poster to the
concept of thread drift. No matter what question you ask on rfc, you
will get answers that don't apply. That's suggestions for converting a
vegetarian to meat eating and recollections on camping in general.
Don't fight it; take the advice that applies, and for the rest, just go
with the flow.)

--Lia