Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Whack it on the curb

When I was in Las Vegas, my sil and I got into a discussion
about Bonomo Turkish Taffy. I think it was an offshoot of
a trip down memory lane about their childhood, as it was a
family gathering. Lot of laughs.

Anyway, I said, yeah, whack it on the curb! Yeah! Freeze
it first, blah blah blah. My bil Rick had this look on his face,
what are you people talking about? Didn't want to sound
like the country rube who grew up on a ranch, no Turkish
Taffy for him. (that is such a joke, less of a rube you have
never met, and I wish I had just a tiny piece of the wealth
they have built from the ground up, and I admire people who
grew up in that rural kind of life anyway.)

With this disbelieving look, he said, you break it up on the
curb then you eat it??? Thinking that is *disgusting* ...
dirty. My wife did that? (laugh) He didn't understand the part
where you leave it in the package. Oh.

So when I got home last week, I went to the candy website
someone posted for me, oldtimecandy.com. Sent her a handful
of chocolate and vanilla French Chews that are supposed to be
as close as it comes to Bonomo Turkish Taffy. My gift note
said, Whack it on the curb!

Of course, I ordered some for myself, you kiddin? Got
mostly chocolate and vanilla, but one each banana and
strawberry. Also got: Ice Cubes, Planters Peanut Bars,
Lemon Heads, Atomic Fire Balls, Junior Mints.

It's like Halloween here.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> When I was in Las Vegas, my sil and I got into a discussion
> about Bonomo Turkish Taffy. I think it was an offshoot of
> a trip down memory lane about their childhood, as it was a
> family gathering. Lot of laughs.
>
> Anyway, I said, yeah, whack it on the curb! Yeah! Freeze
> it first, blah blah blah. My bil Rick had this look on his face,
> what are you people talking about? Didn't want to sound
> like the country rube who grew up on a ranch, no Turkish
> Taffy for him. (that is such a joke, less of a rube you have
> never met, and I wish I had just a tiny piece of the wealth
> they have built from the ground up, and I admire people who
> grew up in that rural kind of life anyway.)
>
> With this disbelieving look, he said, you break it up on the
> curb then you eat it??? Thinking that is *disgusting* ...
> dirty. My wife did that? (laugh) He didn't understand the part
> where you leave it in the package. Oh.
>
> So when I got home last week, I went to the candy website
> someone posted for me, oldtimecandy.com. Sent her a handful
> of chocolate and vanilla French Chews that are supposed to be
> as close as it comes to Bonomo Turkish Taffy. My gift note
> said, Whack it on the curb!
>
> Of course, I ordered some for myself, you kiddin? Got
> mostly chocolate and vanilla, but one each banana and
> strawberry. Also got: Ice Cubes, Planters Peanut Bars,
> Lemon Heads, Atomic Fire Balls, Junior Mints.
>
> It's like Halloween here.
>
> nancy

Smack it and crack it!

I grew up in Brooklyn two blocks away from the Bonomo's Turkish
taffy factory on McDonalds Ave... that sweet taffy aroma is indelibly
etched in my brain.

You mean you didn't get any wax lips or chocolate babies

Sheldon Sugar Daddy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:

>> Anyway, I said, yeah, whack it on the curb! Yeah! Freeze
>> it first, blah blah blah.

> Smack it and crack it!
>
> I grew up in Brooklyn two blocks away from the Bonomo's Turkish
> taffy factory on McDonalds Ave... that sweet taffy aroma is indelibly
> etched in my brain.

Heh, in Brooklyn, no kidding? Can't believe some candy company
hasn't taken up the torch, started producing it.

> You mean you didn't get any wax lips or chocolate babies

No wax lips, and I don't know what chocolate babies are. A
glaring hole in my candy store memory. While I'm on the subject,
I miss candy store/luncheonette's too.

> Sheldon Sugar Daddy

Loves that Sugar Daddy. (laugh) nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 8 May 2006 19:21:22 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>No wax lips, and I don't know what chocolate babies are. A
>glaring hole in my candy store memory.

Chocolate babies are baby-shaped gummy bear looking things that are
chocolate. Dryer than tootsie roll, but that general idea.

I always got the licorice babies.

> While I'm on the subject, I miss candy store/luncheonette's too.

Woolworth's!

Carol
--

Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Stolen from "traid" on the IRC
Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://www.hometownfavorites.com/sho...=1&id=41&newp=

> A glaring hole in my candy store memory. While I'm on the subject,
> I miss candy store/luncheonette's too.
>
> > Sheldon Sugar Daddy

> Loves that Sugar Daddy. (laugh) nancy

http://www.geocities.com/buddychai2/.../Bklynese.html

http://www.octanecreative.com/boomerbaby/food.html

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > writes:

> strawberry. Also got: Ice Cubes, Planters Peanut Bars,
> Lemon Heads, Atomic Fire Balls, Junior Mints.

What!? No Abazabas?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > writes:
>

>> strawberry. Also got: Ice Cubes, Planters Peanut Bars,
>> Lemon Heads, Atomic Fire Balls, Junior Mints.

> What!? No Abazabas?

Heh, nope, no Abba Zabas ... whatever they are.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote

> On Mon, 8 May 2006 19:21:22 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
> wrote:
>
>>No wax lips, and I don't know what chocolate babies are. A
>>glaring hole in my candy store memory.

> Chocolate babies are baby-shaped gummy bear looking things that are
> chocolate. Dryer than tootsie roll, but that general idea.

You know, since you mention it, I have even seen a tootsie
roll in forever. Sad state of affairs.

> I always got the licorice babies.
>
>> While I'm on the subject, I miss candy store/luncheonettes too.

> Woolworth's!

I think of lace cookies when I think of Woolworth's, I used to
work across the street from the Woolworth Building. Quarter
pound of lace cookies for lunch. Nutrition at it's finest.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:
> > When I was in Las Vegas, my sil and I got into a discussion
> > about Bonomo Turkish Taffy. I think it was an offshoot of
> > a trip down memory lane about their childhood, as it was a
> > family gathering. Lot of laughs.
> >
> > Anyway, I said, yeah, whack it on the curb! Yeah! Freeze
> > it first, blah blah blah. My bil Rick had this look on his face,
> > what are you people talking about? Didn't want to sound
> > like the country rube who grew up on a ranch, no Turkish
> > Taffy for him. (that is such a joke, less of a rube you have
> > never met, and I wish I had just a tiny piece of the wealth
> > they have built from the ground up, and I admire people who
> > grew up in that rural kind of life anyway.)
> >
> > With this disbelieving look, he said, you break it up on the
> > curb then you eat it??? Thinking that is *disgusting* ...
> > dirty. My wife did that? (laugh) He didn't understand the part
> > where you leave it in the package. Oh.
> >
> > So when I got home last week, I went to the candy website
> > someone posted for me, oldtimecandy.com. Sent her a handful
> > of chocolate and vanilla French Chews that are supposed to be
> > as close as it comes to Bonomo Turkish Taffy. My gift note
> > said, Whack it on the curb!
> >
> > Of course, I ordered some for myself, you kiddin? Got
> > mostly chocolate and vanilla, but one each banana and
> > strawberry. Also got: Ice Cubes, Planters Peanut Bars,
> > Lemon Heads, Atomic Fire Balls, Junior Mints.
> >
> > It's like Halloween here.
> >
> > nancy

> Smack it and crack it!
>
> I grew up in Brooklyn two blocks away from the Bonomo's Turkish
> taffy factory on McDonalds Ave... that sweet taffy aroma is indelibly
> etched in my brain.
>
> You mean you didn't get any wax lips or chocolate babies
>
> Sheldon Sugar Daddy

Gods.
Childhood memory candy. ;-)
I remember that taffy, wax lips, wax "coke" bottles filled with yummy
sweet stuff in different flavors, Jolly Rancher candy sticks......

<sigh>

Tastes like summer!!!!! :-d
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > writes:

> Heh, nope, no Abba Zabas ... whatever they are.

Soft taffy with a peanut butter center. By soft, I mean one needn't
smack 'em on the curb. The taffy was pullable right out of the
wrapper and the PB was great.

http://www.mckandy.com/items/3194

One of my other faves was a Peanut Butter Log. No taffee, just a real
thin hard candy over a Butterfinger/Clark Bar crunch with a PB center.
Th packaging is as I remeber it, but I could swear they used to be called
PB Logs and were a bit longer.

http://www.oldtimecandy.com/peanut-butter-bar.htm

I was never much of a taffy fan, but did like Bit-O-Honey. Wasn't a
big fan of Big Hunks, either, but I seem to recall they occasionally
required a good curb whack after they'd been on the shelf too long?
That, or a good pair of juvenile 20lb test teeth.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Abe Abe is offline

>I grew up in Brooklyn two blocks away from the Bonomo's Turkish
>taffy factory on McDonalds Ave... that sweet taffy aroma is indelibly
>etched in my brain.

Me too. By the F train near the Ave. X stop.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
sd sd is offline

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> I was never much of a taffy fan, but did like Bit-O-Honey. Wasn't a
> big fan of Big Hunks, either, but I seem to recall they occasionally
> required a good curb whack after they'd been on the shelf too long?
> That, or a good pair of juvenile 20lb test teeth.

I remember whacking Bonomo on the curb, as well. The one candy I
_don't_ miss from childhood was that awful bubble gum they packed
with baseball cards. When that stuff got old, it would just shatter.
As big as baseball card collecting has become, do they even sully
packages with "gum" anymore?

sd
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 8 May 2006 20:55:28 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote
>
>> On Mon, 8 May 2006 19:21:22 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>No wax lips, and I don't know what chocolate babies are. A
>>>glaring hole in my candy store memory.

>> Chocolate babies are baby-shaped gummy bear looking things that are
>> chocolate. Dryer than tootsie roll, but that general idea.

>You know, since you mention it, I have even seen a tootsie
>roll in forever. Sad state of affairs.

They're my favorite. My niblings save them all at Halloween time and
give them to me. I got 186 of them last year.

serene