Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default leek preparation

I have some leeks I'd like to grill. I've never prepared leeks before
and need to know what, exactly, I can do with the greens once I chop
them off. That's a lot of waste, especially with five huge leeks.
Thanks.

Stacia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stacia wrote:
> I have some leeks I'd like to grill. I've never prepared leeks before
> and need to know what, exactly, I can do with the greens once I chop
> them off. That's a lot of waste, especially with five huge leeks.
> Thanks.
>
> Stacia

I sautee', braise or make soup from leeks.
I really don't think they are suitable for grilling. ;-)
Just a personal opinion.

As for the greens, keep them for making stock or do what I do. Eat
them.
I have yet to understand why people think leek greens are inedible.
I trim any dry/shriveled parts off of the leeks then de-layer them just
enough to get all the sand. I then re-assemble them and slice them thin
all they way up......

indcluding the greens.

I EAT leek greens. ;-d

Cheers!
Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stacia wrote:
> I have some leeks I'd like to grill. I've never prepared leeks before
> and need to know what, exactly, I can do with the greens once I chop
> them off. That's a lot of waste, especially with five huge leeks.
> Thanks.
>
> Stacia

I haven't done it either but have always meant to since they're so big.
Cleaning them is what keeps me from buyingi the. They are awfully
dirty throughout and take a whole soaking process. I am a lazy cook.
But if you're not, I'd do the usual that I do with all of my veggies
(eggplant, green onions, asparagus, portobellow muchrooms). Marinate
them in some kind of olive oil/balsamic/fresh garlic/fresh
ginger/soysauce/orange juice/maple syrup marinade/dressing. I use the
same dressing for salad. The marinade can make a hairbrush taste good
on the grill :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > writes:

>I really don't think they are suitable for grilling. ;-)
>Just a personal opinion.

http://www.toomanychefs.com/archives/001780.php

That's the recipe I'm trying today.

Stacia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" > writes:

>stock. Then I would brush them with olive oil and season with S&P.

>I've never grilled a leek but what I described above is probably what I
>would do.

Sounds good. What do you normally do instead of grill? I have had
them at a local restaurant fried, I think, in a butter garlic sauce.
That was very yum.

Stacia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> Stacia wrote:
>> I have some leeks I'd like to grill. I've never prepared leeks
>> before and need to know what, exactly, I can do with the greens once
>> I chop them off. That's a lot of waste, especially with five huge
>> leeks. Thanks.
>>
>> Stacia

> I sautee', braise or make soup from leeks.
> I really don't think they are suitable for grilling. ;-)
> Just a personal opinion.
>
> As for the greens, keep them for making stock or do what I do. Eat
> them.
> I have yet to understand why people think leek greens are inedible.

Because the greens are tough as cornstalks, that's why! I do save them
to add when making stocks.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > Stacia wrote:
> >> I have some leeks I'd like to grill. I've never prepared leeks
> >> before and need to know what, exactly, I can do with the greens once
> >> I chop them off. That's a lot of waste, especially with five huge
> >> leeks. Thanks.
> >>
> >> Stacia

> > I sautee', braise or make soup from leeks.
> > I really don't think they are suitable for grilling. ;-)
> > Just a personal opinion.
> >
> > As for the greens, keep them for making stock or do what I do. Eat
> > them.
> > I have yet to understand why people think leek greens are inedible.

> Because the greens are tough as cornstalks, that's why! I do save them
> to add when making stocks.
>
> Jill

<shrugs> I've not found them to be so...... :-)
But I do slice leek thin, and the green part thinner. I remove any older
feeling/looking dried out parts and just slice it as thin as I can get
it with the cleaver. I really like the flavor.

I only waste about an inch off the tips usually, and the first couple of
layers.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> > As for the greens, keep them for making stock or do what I do. Eat
> > them.
> > I have yet to understand why people think leek greens are inedible.

> Because the greens are tough as cornstalks, that's why! I do save them
> to add when making stocks.

Maybe leeks are different in your area. I did a taste test on ours,
both raw and cooked, and they were fine. I cooked the green part
separately, just to make sure I didn't ruin the soup (potato leek). All
three of us agreed that the green part should go in next time.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Dan Abel > wrote:

> In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
> > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> > > As for the greens, keep them for making stock or do what I do. Eat
> > > them.
> > > I have yet to understand why people think leek greens are inedible.

> > Because the greens are tough as cornstalks, that's why! I do save them
> > to add when making stocks.

> Maybe leeks are different in your area. I did a taste test on ours,
> both raw and cooked, and they were fine. I cooked the green part
> separately, just to make sure I didn't ruin the soup (potato leek). All
> three of us agreed that the green part should go in next time.

:-)
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > Stacia wrote:
> >> I have some leeks I'd like to grill. I've never prepared leeks
> >> before and need to know what, exactly, I can do with the greens once
> >> I chop them off. That's a lot of waste, especially with five huge
> >> leeks. Thanks.
> >>
> >> Stacia

> > I sautee', braise or make soup from leeks.
> > I really don't think they are suitable for grilling. ;-)
> > Just a personal opinion.
> >
> > As for the greens, keep them for making stock or do what I do. Eat
> > them.
> > I have yet to understand why people think leek greens are inedible.

> Because the greens are tough as cornstalks, that's why! I do save them
> to add when making stocks.
>
> Jill

Buy younger leeks. The greens are normally very tender; at least for
UK/Welsh leeks. Some people find the stronger taste unsuitable but
that's their problem LOL.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Arri London wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

>>> I sautee', braise or make soup from leeks.
>>> I really don't think they are suitable for grilling. ;-)
>>> Just a personal opinion.
>>>
>>> As for the greens, keep them for making stock or do what I do. Eat
>>> them.
>>> I have yet to understand why people think leek greens are inedible.

>> Because the greens are tough as cornstalks, that's why! I do
>> save them to add when making stocks.
>>
>> Jill

> Buy younger leeks. The greens are normally very tender; at least for
> UK/Welsh leeks. Some people find the stronger taste unsuitable but
> that's their problem LOL.

Now how on earth am I supposed to know if they are younger leeks or not?
They all look the same to me. Like big green onions. They don't have brown
ends on the stalks. And I do use the green parts closest to the white.

OB Food: Jill's Potato-Leek Soup in Bread Bowls

2 large white potatoes, peeled and diced
2 large leeks, washed well and thinly sliced. Finely chop the tender green
parts
4 c. chicken broth or stock
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4-1/2 c. heavy cream (I use half & half most of the time)
dash grated nutmeg
1 Tbs. dried parsley for garnish (optional)
In a large pot, combine the potatoes, leeks, chicken broth and salt & pepper
(to taste, really). Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer
15-20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Strain the soup into a
large mixing bowl or another pan. Blend the potatoes and leeks with about
1/4 c. broth until smooth (I use my stick blender for this). Return blended
mixture to pan with remaining liquid. Stir in cream and nutmeg and heat
through. Spoon into prepared bread bowls. Sprinkle with parsley to
garnish. Serves 4

Bread Bowls:

4 small round loaves of sourdough bread, unsliced
2-3 cloves garlic, peeled and mashed
4 Tbs. olive oil

Cut the tops from the round loaves about 3/4 inch thick to make 'lids'.Using
a sharp knife, cut around the inside of the loaf leaving a 3/4" shell for
the bowl to hollow out the center. (Saved removed bread to make croutons or
breadcrumbs, etc.) Rub the inside of the bowls and the lids with crushed
garlic and brush with olive oil. Bake on a baking sheet at 350F until
slightly toasted. Serve the soup in the bread bowls. Don't forget, you can
eat the bowl! (Place the "bread bowls" in a deep soup bowl or plate so it
doesn't get all sloppy.)

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Arri London wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote:

<snip>

> >> Because the greens are tough as cornstalks, that's why! I do
> >> save them to add when making stocks.
> >>
> >> Jill

> > Buy younger leeks. The greens are normally very tender; at least for
> > UK/Welsh leeks. Some people find the stronger taste unsuitable but
> > that's their problem LOL.

> Now how on earth am I supposed to know if they are younger leeks or not?
> They all look the same to me. Like big green onions. They don't have brown
> ends on the stalks. And I do use the green parts closest to the white.

If the greens are that tough and the leeks are that large, the leeks are
too old. Look for smaller narrower leeks.
The ends aren't brown because the supermarket usually trims that off
anyway, as they do for celery and other vegs.

Low-Fat Preparation dkeroeko General Cooking 1 30-03-2009 08:12 PM
food preparation : kayal Wine 1 17-01-2008 04:13 PM
food preparation : kayal Vegan 0 17-01-2008 04:02 PM
Trout Preparation Anonymous[_15_] Barbecue 3 26-04-2007 02:40 AM
Pu-erh tea preparation Michael Plant Tea 3 03-11-2003 09:40 PM