FoodBanter.com

-   -   Enchilada Sauce (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/90536-enchilada-sauce.html)

connie 04-05-2006 11:30 PM

Enchilada Sauce

Does anyone know how to make that thick light orangegish
enchilada sauce served in so many restaurants? I don't mean
the deep red spicy kind, but the light orangey mild kind.
Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 140,000 groups
Unlimited download

Charles Gifford 05-05-2006 08:55 AM

Enchilada Sauce

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote in message
6.121...
..

> This is a very basic and very boring recipe I got off of a website a long
> time ago. Naturally I add chile peppers and jazz it up to suit my own
> taste buds but this is NOT spicy. I don't recall if it's orange or not.
>
> Red Enchilada Sauce

Michael, I didn't realize that such a request could possibly be fulfilled!
This seems to be quite edible even with the tomatoes. I am no longer a
stickler for "proper stuff" and use canned Las Palmas enchilada sauce. My
only thought was to add some milk to the Las Palmas to make it "orangie".
<giggle>

Charlie

[email protected] 05-05-2006 01:28 PM

Enchilada Sauce

connie wrote:
> Does anyone know how to make that thick light orangegish
> enchilada sauce served in so many restaurants? I don't mean
> the deep red spicy kind, but the light orangey mild kind.

The darkening as well as the spice may come from the chili powder and
cumin you use. Shop for the lightest chili powder, or use some two or
three years old and reduce or eliminate the cumin and you may get a
lighter milder sauce. I don't know if you'd call it enchilada sauce.
Unripe tomatoes may also help. Bleck!

Marcella Peek 05-05-2006 03:52 PM

Enchilada Sauce

In article . net>,
"Charles Gifford" > wrote:

> "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote in message
> 6.121...
> .
> >
> > This is a very basic and very boring recipe I got off of a website a long
> > time ago. Naturally I add chile peppers and jazz it up to suit my own
> > taste buds but this is NOT spicy. I don't recall if it's orange or not.
> >
> > Red Enchilada Sauce

> Michael, I didn't realize that such a request could possibly be fulfilled!
> This seems to be quite edible even with the tomatoes. I am no longer a
> stickler for "proper stuff" and use canned Las Palmas enchilada sauce. My
> only thought was to add some milk to the Las Palmas to make it "orangie".
> <giggle>
>
> Charlie

I was thinking like you Charlie. Some restaurants serve a sort of suiza
sauce where they make a mild red sauce and add cream/sour
cream/evaporated milk to it. Normally it's a white sauce but sometimes
I've seen it orange colored.

Here's a rendition I spotted online that might fill the bill

Enchilada Suiza Sauce
8 large tomatoes
11/2 tbsp oil
6 chiles de arbol, lightly toasted
1 pasilla or guajillo chile (pasilla is milder), lightly toasted
1 large white onion, quartered
6 cloves garlic, peeled
1 cup water
1 cup crema media ácida or American sour cream
Salt and pepper to taste

In large skill, heat oil and cook tomatoes until blackened and softened,
about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, soak chiles in water for 15 minutes to
soften. Remove stems, seeds and membranes if desired. In food processor,
blend together tomatoes, chiles, onion, garlic, water and crema or sour
cream. Season to taste with salt and pepper and pour into a large
saucepan. Heat thoroughly.

marcella

Goomba38 05-05-2006 08:58 PM

Enchilada Sauce

connie wrote:
> Does anyone know how to make that thick light orangegish
> enchilada sauce served in so many restaurants? I don't mean
> the deep red spicy kind, but the light orangey mild kind.

This is the recipe I use when making cheese enchiladas. The sauce can be
used for many things

* Exported from MasterCook *

Cheese Enchiladas

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Casseroles Cheese
Ethnic Mexican

2 tablespoons chili powder
2 onions -- chopped fine
vegetable oil
15 ounces canned tomato sauce
2 cups water
1/4 teaspoon cumin
dash salt
1/2 pound sharp cheddar cheese
1 pound monterrey jack cheese
12 corn tortillas

Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Make sauce: saute 1/3 cup onions and the chili powder in 2 teaspoons
vegetable oil.
Add the tomato sauce, water, cumin and salt. Simmer one hour or till
thickened.

Cut jack cheese into 12 long fingers. Pass tortillas through hot oil
then the sauce, to soften. Roll one cheese finger and 1 tablespoon of
the onion in each.
Put seam side down in pan. Top with sauce and bake till bubbly 20-25
min. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and bake long enough to melt the
cheese.
Top with sour cream, if desired.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Charles Gifford 06-05-2006 04:08 AM

Enchilada Sauce

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote in message
6.121...
> "Charles Gifford" >
> ink.net:
>

> Sometimes I'll use a commercially made sauce. I don't know why. I
> usually
> end up jazzing it up anyway. There is a lot of lee way with the basic
> sauce I posted and I use it often. I'll even make it for burritos
> sometimes. Marcella posted a nice recipe too and I think sour cream would
> make it "orangish" ;)
>
> Michael

It would indeed. Better than my thought of milk. Sounds good enough to give
it a try with some crema. I'll bet it would be good with breakfast burittos
and with my guacamole enchiladas that I usually just top with sour cream.

Charlie

Charles Gifford 06-05-2006 04:11 AM

Enchilada Sauce

"Marcella Peek" > wrote in message

> I was thinking like you Charlie. Some restaurants serve a sort of suiza
> sauce where they make a mild red sauce and add cream/sour
> cream/evaporated milk to it. Normally it's a white sauce but sometimes
> I've seen it orange colored.

<recipe snipped>

Marcella! This looks like it would be delicious! I will save it for a future
trial! Thanks!

Charlie

BOBOBOnoBO® 08-05-2006 11:47 PM

Enchilada Sauce

Marcella Peek wrote:
> In article . net>,
> "Charles Gifford" > wrote:
>
> > "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote in message
> > 6.121...
> > .
> > >
> > > This is a very basic and very boring recipe I got off of a website a long
> > > time ago. Naturally I add chile peppers and jazz it up to suit my own
> > > taste buds but this is NOT spicy. I don't recall if it's orange or not.
> > >
> > > Red Enchilada Sauce

> > Michael, I didn't realize that such a request could possibly be fulfilled!
> > This seems to be quite edible even with the tomatoes. I am no longer a
> > stickler for "proper stuff" and use canned Las Palmas enchilada sauce. My
> > only thought was to add some milk to the Las Palmas to make it "orangie".
> > <giggle>
> >
> > Charlie

> I was thinking like you Charlie. Some restaurants serve a sort of suiza
> sauce where they make a mild red sauce and add cream/sour
> cream/evaporated milk to it. Normally it's a white sauce but sometimes
> I've seen it orange colored.
>
> Here's a rendition I spotted online that might fill the bill
>
> Enchilada Suiza Sauce
> 8 large tomatoes
> 11/2 tbsp oil
> 6 chiles de arbol, lightly toasted
> 1 pasilla or guajillo chile (pasilla is milder), lightly toasted
> 1 large white onion, quartered
> 6 cloves garlic, peeled
> 1 cup water
> 1 cup crema media ácida or American sour cream

Substituting American sour cream will make a far inferior sauce.
Spring for the Mexican stuff.

> Salt and pepper to taste

You could also try doing everything exactly as above, but completely
omit the onion. I would.

> In large skill, heat oil and cook tomatoes until blackened and softened,
> about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, soak chiles in water for 15 minutes to
> soften. Remove stems, seeds and membranes if desired. In food processor,
> blend together tomatoes, chiles, onion, garlic, water and crema or sour
> cream. Season to taste with salt and pepper and pour into a large
> saucepan. Heat thoroughly.
>
> marcella

--Bryan