FoodBanter.com

-   -   Broken Egg In Carton (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/90456-broken-egg-carton.html)

[email protected] 04-05-2006 04:07 AM

Broken Egg In Carton

I went to the neighborhood supermarket today, and there was only one
carton of Jumbo eggs left. I noticed that one egg is broken. I bought
it anyway, since I prefer the jumbo eggs. I have set aside the eggs
stained by the egg white from the broken egg to be disposed.

Is it safe to eat the other eggs?

Thank you in advance ...

LadyJane 04-05-2006 05:04 AM

Broken Egg In Carton

Why on earth would you dispose of the eggs which have egg white on
them?
I would just wash the eggs affected and store them, certainly not throw
them out.

Providing the eggs are within their use-by-date, they should be
perfectly ok.

LadyJane
--
"Never trust a skinny cook!"

tofuqueen 04-05-2006 07:02 AM

Broken Egg In Carton

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On 3 May 2006 20:07:05 -0700, wrote:
>
> > I went to the neighborhood supermarket today, and there was only one
> > carton of Jumbo eggs left. I noticed that one egg is broken. I bought
> > it anyway, since I prefer the jumbo eggs. I have set aside the eggs
> > stained by the egg white from the broken egg to be disposed.
> >
> > Is it safe to eat the other eggs?

> I tell ya - Is Google Groups advertising on AOL and WebTV or
> what? This new round of Google posts are getting out of hand.
>
> -sw

Hmmmmmm, google snobs in rec.food.cooking? I thought this was a nice
group? Why is it that folks go off topic and put people down about
where they post from? I have never quite understood this concept. Is
it sort of like not wanting to spend time with people who live in
trailer parks and only spend time with people who have large houses in
the suburbs? How about cars? No pintos or old ramblers, but honda
accords or suvs are okay?

Hey, I'll be the first to admit that I"m not the sharpest tack in the
box when it comes to understanding computers. I have the basics down
and get around fairly well. I'm far from a computer nerd and live a
fairly simple life as a social worker, mom, decent human being. At
least I'm not a computer snob.

Now....back to the broken egg in the carton. I don't eat eggs and I'd
probably worry about contamination :-) I do buy eggs for my daughter I
just buy the organic ones. Should eggs always be washed off before
using them?

Melba's Jammin'[_1_] 04-05-2006 12:30 PM

Broken Egg In Carton

In article .com>,
" > wrote:

> I went to the neighborhood supermarket today, and there was only one
> carton of Jumbo eggs left. I noticed that one egg is broken. I bought
> it anyway, since I prefer the jumbo eggs. I have set aside the eggs
> stained by the egg white from the broken egg to be disposed.
>
> Is it safe to eat the other eggs?
>
> Thank you in advance ...

Sure. It happens.
--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 4-30-2006, Dead Spread

Melba's Jammin'[_1_] 04-05-2006 12:31 PM

Broken Egg In Carton

In article . com>,
"tofuqueen" > wrote:

> Now....back to the broken egg in the carton. I don't eat eggs and I'd
> probably worry about contamination :-) I do buy eggs for my daughter I
> just buy the organic ones. Should eggs always be washed off before
> using them?

It's probably not a bad idea, but I don't.

kilikini[_2_] 04-05-2006 12:42 PM

Broken Egg In Carton

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article . com>,
> "tofuqueen" > wrote:
>
> > Now....back to the broken egg in the carton. I don't eat eggs and I'd
> > probably worry about contamination :-) I do buy eggs for my daughter I
> > just buy the organic ones. Should eggs always be washed off before
> > using them?

> It's probably not a bad idea, but I don't.
> --

Well, now that we're onto the subject of broken eggs, I've always wondered
if a cracked, uncooked egg is safe to eat? I check the cartons when I
purchase the eggs, but sometimes you get an egg that's kind of stuck to the
bottom of the carton because of a hairline crack in the shell. You don't
see it because it's not obvious when you buy the eggs. Is *that* egg safe
to eat?

kili

[email protected] 04-05-2006 02:01 PM

Broken Egg In Carton

LadyJane wrote:
> Why on earth would you dispose of the eggs which have egg white on
> them?
> I would just wash the eggs affected and store them, certainly not throw
> them out.
>
> Providing the eggs are within their use-by-date, they should be
> perfectly ok.
>
> LadyJane
> --
> "Never trust a skinny cook!"

I could be wrong, but I vaguely remember what someone once explained to
me.

Eggshells are porous - pores on the surface - and can harbor bacteria.
When liquid from the broken egg gets onto shells of the other eggs, it
can potentially create an incubating environment. When you crack open
the unbroken egg with a contaminated shell, the egg white running past
the contaminated shell can come into contact with the shell and also
become contaminated. This kind of contamination can cause some forms
of food poisoning.

I cannot substantiate it but only more of a hearsay ...

Gabby 04-05-2006 04:12 PM

Broken Egg In Carton

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On 3 May 2006 20:07:05 -0700, wrote:
>
> > I went to the neighborhood supermarket today, and there was only one
> > carton of Jumbo eggs left. I noticed that one egg is broken. I bought
> > it anyway, since I prefer the jumbo eggs. I have set aside the eggs
> > stained by the egg white from the broken egg to be disposed.
> >
> > Is it safe to eat the other eggs?

> I tell ya - Is Google Groups advertising on AOL and WebTV or
> what? This new round of Google posts are getting out of hand.

Many of us don't have a choice since more and more Internet providers
refuse to carry usenet. My own provider stopped on April 1, so at home
Google is my only resource unless I want to spend even more money. My
provider at work still offers usenet but since all the other providers
in the province have bailed we expect it to be only a matter of time
before it does also.

Gabby

Nancy2 04-05-2006 04:28 PM

Broken Egg In Carton

kilikini wrote:

> Well, now that we're onto the subject of broken eggs, I've always wondered
> if a cracked, uncooked egg is safe to eat? I check the cartons when I
> purchase the eggs, but sometimes you get an egg that's kind of stuck to the
> bottom of the carton because of a hairline crack in the shell. You don't
> see it because it's not obvious when you buy the eggs. Is *that* egg safe
> to eat?
>
> kili

It seems obvious to me, but even though I don't wash eggs before using,
I would NEVER use an egg that had a crack, no matter how small, and
especially one that was stuck in the carton.

N.

wff_ng_7 04-05-2006 04:29 PM

Broken Egg In Carton

"kilikini" > wrote:
> Well, now that we're onto the subject of broken eggs, I've always wondered
> if a cracked, uncooked egg is safe to eat? I check the cartons when I
> purchase the eggs, but sometimes you get an egg that's kind of stuck to
> the
> bottom of the carton because of a hairline crack in the shell. You don't
> see it because it's not obvious when you buy the eggs. Is *that* egg safe
> to eat?

I always check for signs of cracked shells, but sometimes I miss them, or
they get cracked on the way home.

I guess how one approaches this depends on how many uses one has for eggs.
Since I use them for lots of different things, I can always find a use for
them.

Cracked or older eggs get used for glazing the tops of loaves of bread, and
to help the seeds stick on the crust. They might also be used in other
baking where the eggs get thoroughly cooked. I don' use them just to eat by
themselves.

I also tend to use the freshest, most pristine eggs for things that aren't
cooked thoroughly, if cooked at all. Things like soft boiled eggs, or eggs
fried sunny side up where I want a thick, high standing white.

Yesterday I made tapioca cream pudding with very fresh eggs. The cookbook
(Settlement) with the recipe I use is rather inconsistent on warnings about
eggs. The egg section is rather stern in its warnings on raw or lightly
cooked eggs. But over in the desserts section, there is no mention at all of
a safety problem in the tapioca cream pudding recipe. The milk, tapioca, egg
yolks, sugar, and salt are cooked fairly well. But the egg whites are beaten
into stiff peaks and folded into the cool tapioca mixture. So the egg whites
are raw in the finished dish. I know this is a potential problem, but
personally I've never gotten sick from it in years of making it. But I would
never serve this to someone with a weakened immune system. The risk is low
but not worth taking. I also would not make this with cracked or older eggs.

--
( #wff_ng_7# at #verizon# period #net# )

Sheldon 04-05-2006 04:29 PM

Broken Egg In Carton

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article . com>,
> "tofuqueen" > wrote:
>
> > Now....back to the broken egg in the carton. I don't eat eggs and I'd
> > probably worry about contamination :-) I do buy eggs for my daughter I
> > just buy the organic ones. Should eggs always be washed off before
> > using them?

> It's probably not a bad idea, but I don't.

Unless purchased direct from the farmer eggs sold in the US have
already had their shells washed, sanitized, and coated with a
protectorate... any home washing will only help cause contamination...
do not wash eggs.

Everything you need to know about egg handling can be found he
http://www.aeb.org

Sheldon

Nancy2 04-05-2006 04:30 PM

Broken Egg In Carton

kilikini wrote:

> Well, now that we're onto the subject of broken eggs, I've always wondered
> if a cracked, uncooked egg is safe to eat? I check the cartons when I
> purchase the eggs, but sometimes you get an egg that's kind of stuck to the
> bottom of the carton because of a hairline crack in the shell. You don't
> see it because it's not obvious when you buy the eggs. Is *that* egg safe
> to eat?
>
> kili

Kili, to add to my previous post - you can tell if there are any stuck
eggs, by opening up the carton and running your hand lightly over the
top of the eggs to make sure they all move in the carton. Often, the
cashier will do this anyway to make sure you don't have any broken
ones. (Hmm, I guess I should wash them before using....)

N.

Nancy Young[_1_] 04-05-2006 04:50 PM

Broken Egg In Carton

"Nancy2" > wrote

> Kili, to add to my previous post - you can tell if there are any stuck
> eggs, by opening up the carton and running your hand lightly over the
> top of the eggs to make sure they all move in the carton. Often, the
> cashier will do this anyway to make sure you don't have any broken
> ones. (Hmm, I guess I should wash them before using....)

(laugh) That's funny, especially as you know how very disgusting
dirty money is. Anyway, I always give each egg a little move to make
sure it's not stuck. Got stuck (no pun/whatever intended) with broken
eggs one too many times.

nancy

itsjoannotjoann 04-05-2006 05:03 PM

Broken Egg In Carton

Nancy2 wrote:
> kilikini wrote:

> Kili, to add to my previous post - you can tell if there are any stuck
> eggs, by opening up the carton and running your hand lightly over the
> top of the eggs to make sure they all move in the carton. Often, the
> cashier will do this anyway to make sure you don't have any broken
> ones. (Hmm, I guess I should wash them before using....)
>
> N.

I've never seen a cashier open an egg carton going through checkout in
my life. I guess they figure you're buying the eggs, you check.

And what Sheldon says is true.

Unless purchased direct from the farmer eggs sold in the US have
already had their shells washed, sanitized, and coated with a
protectorate... any home washing will only help cause contamination.

If I am unfortunate enough to get a cracked egg after checking the
carton, I trash it. No telling how long it's been sitting there with a
crack and I just don't want to take the chance of getting sick. Eggs
are too cheap to risk it.

The Cook 04-05-2006 05:23 PM

Broken Egg In Carton

On 3 May 2006 20:07:05 -0700, "
> wrote:

>I went to the neighborhood supermarket today, and there was only one
>carton of Jumbo eggs left. I noticed that one egg is broken. I bought
>it anyway, since I prefer the jumbo eggs. I have set aside the eggs
>stained by the egg white from the broken egg to be disposed.
>
>Is it safe to eat the other eggs?
>
>Thank you in advance ...

Check out www.aeb.org
It is the American Egg Board and has all the information you will ever
need about eggs.
--
Susan N.

Puester 04-05-2006 05:55 PM

Broken Egg In Carton

kilikini wrote:

> Well, now that we're onto the subject of broken eggs, I've always wondered
> if a cracked, uncooked egg is safe to eat? I check the cartons when I
> purchase the eggs, but sometimes you get an egg that's kind of stuck to the
> bottom of the carton because of a hairline crack in the shell. You don't
> see it because it's not obvious when you buy the eggs. Is *that* egg safe
> to eat?
>
> kili

No, it's not unless you overcook the life out of it. I have gotten
violently sick over a cracked egg that I scrambled to a "soft" stage.
Now I throw away the cracked ones without a second thought.

gloria p

Umbrian[_1_] 04-05-2006 07:43 PM

Broken Egg In Carton

>>Is it sort of like not wanting to spend time with people who live in
trailer parks and only spend time with people who have large houses in
the suburbs?

Who wants to spend their time with people who live in large suburban
houses? Ugh!

JJ - RFC 04-05-2006 09:18 PM

Broken Egg In Carton

One time on Usenet, Steve Wertz > said:
> On 3 May 2006 20:07:05 -0700, wrote:
>
> > I went to the neighborhood supermarket today, and there was only one
> > carton of Jumbo eggs left. I noticed that one egg is broken. I bought
> > it anyway, since I prefer the jumbo eggs. I have set aside the eggs
> > stained by the egg white from the broken egg to be disposed.
> >
> > Is it safe to eat the other eggs?

> I tell ya - Is Google Groups advertising on AOL and WebTV or
> what?

IIRC, AOL doesn't offer Usenet anymore, so they have to use Google.

> This new round of Google posts are getting out of hand.

They don't bother me, as long as they quote...

--
jj - rfc (Jani) in WA
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~

Default User 04-05-2006 10:21 PM

Broken Egg In Carton

jj - rfc wrote:

> IIRC, AOL doesn't offer Usenet anymore, so they have to use Google.

Well, they have to use something besides AOL. Google is a choice, but a
bad one. I still wonder if news.individual.net going pay wasn't a
result of AOL's decision. I suspect that a lot of former AOLers were
flocking to NIN while it was free.

> > This new round of Google posts are getting out of hand.

> They don't bother me, as long as they quote...

Which a lot of them will do once they find out how. There are few
argumentative boneheads, but the Bozo Bin sorts them out.

Brian

won't shut up.

notbob 04-05-2006 10:24 PM

Broken Egg In Carton

"Gabby" > writes:

> refuse to carry usenet. My own provider stopped on April 1, so at home
> Google is my only resource unless I want to spend even more money. My

http://freenews.maxbaud.net/

nb

elaine[_1_] 04-05-2006 10:55 PM

Broken Egg In Carton

"The Cook" > wrote in message
> On 3 May 2006 20:07:05 -0700, "
> > wrote:
>
>>I went to the neighborhood supermarket today, and there was only one
>>carton of Jumbo eggs left. I noticed that one egg is broken. I bought
>>it anyway, since I prefer the jumbo eggs. I have set aside the eggs
>>stained by the egg white from the broken egg to be disposed.
>>
>>Is it safe to eat the other eggs?
>>
>>Thank you in advance ...

Isn't that like washing a banana, which I never do.

But back on topic. If there was only 1 carton of jumbo eggs and one was
broken, I would switch it for one large egg from another batch... and I
would most definitely use it.

Call me cheap.

Elaine

Sheldon 05-05-2006 12:45 AM

Broken Egg In Carton

elaine wrote:

> Isn't that like washing a banana, which I never do.

How will you use that banana... you coulda chose oranges... hehe

Sheldon

Nancy Young[_1_] 05-05-2006 01:03 AM

Broken Egg In Carton

"elaine" > wrote

> Isn't that like washing a banana, which I never do.

I always try to remember to do that, quickest way to
get fruit flies, bananas.

nancy

elaine[_1_] 05-05-2006 01:17 AM

Broken Egg In Carton

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> "elaine" > wrote
>
>> Isn't that like washing a banana, which I never do.

> I always try to remember to do that, quickest way to
> get fruit flies, bananas.
>
> nancy

Isn't it only if they get overripe?

E.

Nancy Young[_1_] 05-05-2006 01:32 AM

Broken Egg In Carton

"elaine" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> "elaine" > wrote
>>
>>> Isn't that like washing a banana, which I never do.

>> I always try to remember to do that, quickest way to
>> get fruit flies, bananas.

> Isn't it only if they get overripe?

How should I say this ... the eggs come in on the produce.
Fruit flies don't spontaneously generate from rotting fruit,
though they do like that. That's why I wash bananas.

nancy

Umbrian[_1_] 05-05-2006 10:19 AM

Broken Egg In Carton

>>love ****ing people off by expressing my opinions. It feels
so... right.

Which is presumably why you are here. I usually reckon that people who
choose to be obnoxious on public forums feel powerless in their lives.

I apologise for using bad language, which I rarely do. It was just the
completely dismissive attitude towards anyone who isn't all-American
and a yard wide that got to me.
My thoughts about this group have been tending towards the negative
sensation that it resembles recess at a junior high school. It started
during the Patches episode, where several expressed the opinion that
she had emotional issues. I don't know her since I had a hiatus of
several years between connecting when I lived in the US and connecting
when I got unlimited internet here. But I kept thinking, if she is
emotionally unstable, then it is clearly wrong to start something with
her (the stolen photo) and then to assemble and make fun of her when
she reacted. I kept thinking that at least one of the long term
posters would step in and say, "Enough! This is immature and
unattractive behavior." No one ever did. So then I thought, they
don't really think she has emotional problems, it is only a
mean-spirited accusation like the things kids say. Stupid, really,
like calling someone fat or retarded on the playground.
Then yesterday the thought came to me that there's little about food or
cooking here, the food posts are an occasion for ridicule about plate
colors, sometimes sycophantic pandering, then of course there's the
panoply of misinformation and foul language that we (still) call
Sheldon.
The rest is students cavorting with playground smut and misguided
religious ravings by a purported doctor.
I came back about a month ago. I have not learned a single thing here.
I have enjoyed exactly one conversation with DeeDee. The rest is
unrelieved bellybutton staring. It simply isn't for me.
I shall look in for a day in case someone wants to swear at me for
criticising, because I should be as open to criticism as willing to
criticise, but that's it for me.

OmManiPadmeOmelet[_2_] 05-05-2006 02:32 PM

Broken Egg In Carton

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Thu, 04 May 2006 20:18:14 GMT, jj - rfc wrote:
>
> > One time on Usenet, Steve Wertz > said:
> >
> >> This new round of Google posts are getting out of hand.

> > They don't bother me, as long as they quote...

> It's not the quoting issue for me - I have a newsreader that's
> set to collapse quotes anyway. 75% of all Google posts are
> trash. Next time you see some spam or a post that makes no
> sense, look at the headers and you'll see it came from google
> most of the time.
>
> -sw

Now be fair... Y'all know that I'm being FORCED to use Google due to
computer problems.
Only web-based posting works, none of the news browsers will. :-(

This is excluding me from posting to binary groups which sux. I can
read them, just not post.
I belong to a graphics art list that I was fairly active on too, as
well as the binary food group.

I'm fixin' to re-build my computer and upgrade to OS-X 4.0 (or so) as
right now I'm running 10.2.8 so if I'm going to rebuild everything, I
may as well do it right.

It's going to take a few hours once I get started. With this rainstorm,
I don't know if I can get to Austin today or not. <sigh>

I'll be back hopefully with MT Newswatcher eventually.

Cheers!
Om the frustrated (but at least I quickly learned how to quote <G>)

tofuqueen 05-05-2006 03:34 PM

Broken Egg In Carton

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> Steve Wertz wrote:

> > > They don't bother me, as long as they quote...

> > It's not the quoting issue for me - I have a newsreader that's
> > set to collapse quotes anyway. 75% of all Google posts are
> > trash. Next time you see some spam or a post that makes no
> > sense, look at the headers and you'll see it came from google
> > most of the time.
> >
> > -sw

> Now be fair... Y'all know that I'm being FORCED to use Google due to
> computer problems.
> Only web-based posting works, none of the news browsers will. :-(

No one should have to apologize for where they are posting. If Steve
Wertz or Joe Schmoe has an issue with google, aol or webtv; I'd say,
"life's a bitch, then you die." In the grand spectrum of things, if
something as petty as that sets him off....well, life must be rather
boring.

> This is excluding me from posting to binary groups which sux. I can
> read them, just not post.
> I belong to a graphics art list that I was fairly active on too, as
> well as the binary food group.
>
> I'm fixin' to re-build my computer and upgrade to OS-X 4.0 (or so) as
> right now I'm running 10.2.8 so if I'm going to rebuild everything, I
> may as well do it right.
>
> It's going to take a few hours once I get started. With this rainstorm,
> I don't know if I can get to Austin today or not. <sigh>
>
> I'll be back hopefully with MT Newswatcher eventually.

Again, you should not have to justify what you do with your computer.
As I posted a few weeks ago, the playfull bantering, discussions and
occassional recipes and food discussions, were all of great help to me
while I was going through my cancer treatment. It helped me escape
from thoughts of cancer and all of the fearful emotions that I had. It
has also opened up my eyes to what is "really" important in life.
Where someone posts from just "ain't" on that list. The car you drive,
the house you live in or what your posting address is not worth getting
your panties in a knot.

We all have 24 hours in a day. What we do with those hours mentally,
physically and emotionally is up to us. We can spend those hours
judging others and sticking our noses where it doesn't belong or we can
actively live our own lives; it's all about choices.

You can post from wherever the heck you like and I'm not going to judge
you OmManiPadmeOmelet. You can quote or not quote. You can even
mis-spell. The bottom line is the spirit in which it was written.
Period.

Now....back to eggs and bananas. I guess we should wash them :-)

Actually, although I feel less worried about washing organic food, the
stuff that has pesticides on them should always be washed. Especially
stuff that is imported from other countries (which have different
pesticide laws that the US). I was told that fruits such as melons and
bananas should always be washed with soap and water before cutting them
open. I use Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap with a soft brush.
(actually, Trader Joe's has a brand of that peppermint soap that I've
used more recently)

Phred 05-05-2006 03:57 PM

Broken Egg In Carton

In article .com>, "Sheldon" > wrote:

>Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> In article . com>,
>> "tofuqueen" > wrote:
>>
>> > Now....back to the broken egg in the carton. I don't eat eggs and I'd
>> > probably worry about contamination :-) I do buy eggs for my daughter I
>> > just buy the organic ones. Should eggs always be washed off before
>> > using them?

>> It's probably not a bad idea, but I don't.

>Unless purchased direct from the farmer eggs sold in the US have
>already had their shells washed, sanitized, and coated with a
>protectorate... any home washing will only help cause contamination...
>do not wash eggs.

That's interesting. Some years ago (not *all* that long ago :) I read
that it's illegal to sell washed eggs in Pomerania. The argument
seemed to be that washing could potentially move any bugs from one
contaminated egg to the whole batch.

Maybe one of the Poms here could comment on this now days?

>Everything you need to know about egg handling can be found he
>http://www.aeb.org

I always ditch any cracked eggs. Too much risk of salmonella to my
mind -- whether that's rational or not is irrelevant to me. :-)

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Nancy2 05-05-2006 04:32 PM

Broken Egg In Carton

itsjoannotjoann wrote:
> Nancy2 wrote:
> > kilikini wrote:

> > Kili, to add to my previous post - you can tell if there are any stuck
> > eggs, by opening up the carton and running your hand lightly over the
> > top of the eggs to make sure they all move in the carton. Often, the
> > cashier will do this anyway to make sure you don't have any broken
> > ones. (Hmm, I guess I should wash them before using....)
> >
> > N.

> I've never seen a cashier open an egg carton going through checkout in
> my life. I guess they figure you're buying the eggs, you check.

They uniformly all do at my supermarkets. They don't want the eggs
brought back later because one was stuck in the carton. 'Course we're
big egg country here.

N.

Victor Sack[_1_] 05-05-2006 10:30 PM

Broken Egg In Carton

Phred > wrote:

> That's interesting. Some years ago (not *all* that long ago :) I read
> that it's illegal to sell washed eggs in Pomerania. The argument
> seemed to be that washing could potentially move any bugs from one
> contaminated egg to the whole batch.
>
> Maybe one of the Poms here could comment on this now days?

Pomerania is populated mostly by Poles now. Poms live elsewhere and
would be unlikely to offer any comments, considering that their
underclasses travel to Pomerania (and to other cheap Eastern European
places) to drink themselves silly and couldn't care less for egg washing
(or even for egg wash).

Victor

Jke 05-05-2006 11:55 PM

Broken Egg In Carton

"Melba's Jammin'" > schreef in bericht
> In article . com>,
> "tofuqueen" > wrote:
>
>> Now....back to the broken egg in the carton. I don't eat eggs and I'd
>> probably worry about contamination :-) I do buy eggs for my daughter I
>> just buy the organic ones. Should eggs always be washed off before
>> using them?

> It's probably not a bad idea, but I don't.
> --

I don't and I wouldn't. AFAIK, it would wash off a natrual layer of
protection that keeps bugs/dirt out. So if you would wash them and then
store them, they might spoil faster. And I'm thinking they might also lose
moisture.

Karen AKA Kajikit 06-05-2006 02:27 AM

Broken Egg In Carton

On 3 May 2006 20:07:05 -0700, "
> wrote:

>I went to the neighborhood supermarket today, and there was only one
>carton of Jumbo eggs left. I noticed that one egg is broken. I bought
>it anyway, since I prefer the jumbo eggs. I have set aside the eggs
>stained by the egg white from the broken egg to be disposed.
>
>Is it safe to eat the other eggs?

Of course it is! Just wash them off and use them as normal. If you're
concerned about them sitting around use them first... It's egg-white,
not toxic waste!

Karen AKA Kajikit 06-05-2006 02:28 AM

Broken Egg In Carton

On Thu, 04 May 2006 11:42:43 GMT, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>> In article . com>,
>> "tofuqueen" > wrote:
>>
>> > Now....back to the broken egg in the carton. I don't eat eggs and I'd
>> > probably worry about contamination :-) I do buy eggs for my daughter I
>> > just buy the organic ones. Should eggs always be washed off before
>> > using them?

>> It's probably not a bad idea, but I don't.
>> --

>Well, now that we're onto the subject of broken eggs, I've always wondered
>if a cracked, uncooked egg is safe to eat? I check the cartons when I
>purchase the eggs, but sometimes you get an egg that's kind of stuck to the
>bottom of the carton because of a hairline crack in the shell. You don't
>see it because it's not obvious when you buy the eggs. Is *that* egg safe
>to eat?

Since we buy cheap eggs, we always end up with a few cracked ones no
matter how carefully I check the carton in the store... I discard any
eggs with a sign of a crack on them, just to be on the safe side. I
figure that if they're cracked they're not airtight any more and the
rotting process will have started!

Old Mother Ashby 06-05-2006 05:40 AM

Broken Egg In Carton

Umbrian wrote:

>Then yesterday the thought came to me that there's little about food or
>cooking here, the food posts are an occasion for ridicule about plate
>colors, sometimes sycophantic pandering, then of course there's the
>panoply of misinformation and foul language that we (still) call
>Sheldon.The rest is students cavorting with playground smut and misguided
>religious ravings by a purported doctor.
>I came back about a month ago. I have not learned a single thing here.

Does that mean you're not interested in how to make pavlova, or that you
already know all about it? If the latter, why didn't you help Joan out?
It's not all about you dear.

> I have enjoyed exactly one conversation with DeeDee. The rest is
>unrelieved bellybutton staring. It simply isn't for me.
>I shall look in for a day in case someone wants to swear at me for
>criticising, because I should be as open to criticism as willing to
>criticise, but that's it for me.

I was away during the Patches brouhaha, and what you say may well be
correct, but it doesn't appear that you did anything to defend her

Sorry to disappoint you by not swearing, it's not my style, but I will
say that you're up yourself in a big way. I hope that satisfies you.

Christine

Old Mother Ashby 06-05-2006 05:42 AM

Broken Egg In Carton

Phred wrote:

>In article .com>, "Sheldon" > wrote:
>

>>Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>>>It's probably not a bad idea, but I don't.
>>>

>>Unless purchased direct from the farmer eggs sold in the US have
>>already had their shells washed, sanitized, and coated with a
>>protectorate... any home washing will only help cause contamination...
>>do not wash eggs.
>>

>That's interesting. Some years ago (not *all* that long ago :) I read
>that it's illegal to sell washed eggs in Pomerania. The argument
>seemed to be that washing could potentially move any bugs from one
>contaminated egg to the whole batch.
>
>Maybe one of the Poms here could comment on this now days?
>

>>Everything you need to know about egg handling can be found he
>>http://www.aeb.org
>>

>I always ditch any cracked eggs. Too much risk of salmonella to my
>mind -- whether that's rational or not is irrelevant to me. :-)
>

>Cheers, Phred.

Australian chooks don't have salmonella, something to do with their
intestinal flora. I heard it on The Science Show, so it must be true.

Nevertheless, I always give cracked eggs to the animals.

Christine

Old Mother Ashby 06-05-2006 05:45 AM

Broken Egg In Carton

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:

>On Thu, 04 May 2006 11:42:43 GMT, "kilikini"
> wrote:
>

>>"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

>>>It's probably not a bad idea, but I don't.
>>>--
>>>

>>Well, now that we're onto the subject of broken eggs, I've always wondered
>>if a cracked, uncooked egg is safe to eat? I check the cartons when I
>>purchase the eggs, but sometimes you get an egg that's kind of stuck to the
>>bottom of the carton because of a hairline crack in the shell. You don't
>>see it because it's not obvious when you buy the eggs. Is *that* egg safe
>>to eat?
>>

>Since we buy cheap eggs, we always end up with a few cracked ones no
>matter how carefully I check the carton in the store... I discard any
>eggs with a sign of a crack on them, just to be on the safe side. I
>figure that if they're cracked they're not airtight any more and the
>rotting process will have started!

Might it not be more cost-effective to buy dearer eggs and not have to
throw any away?

I buy mine from the butcher, and they always open the carton and check,
but very occasionally an egg will be cracked in transit. This pleases
the animals no end!

Christine

-L.[_2_] 06-05-2006 06:51 AM

Broken Egg In Carton

elaine wrote:
> Isn't that like washing a banana, which I never do.

Some of the strongest insecticides ever developed are used on bananas
in other countries. You should *always* wash banans before eating
them, and wash your hands as well.

> But back on topic. If there was only 1 carton of jumbo eggs and one was
> broken, I would switch it for one large egg from another batch... and I
> would most definitely use it.
>
> Call me cheap.

Swapping out broken eggs is common practice.

-L.

[email protected] 06-05-2006 08:28 AM

Broken Egg In Carton

Gabby wrote:

> Many of us don't have a choice since more and more Internet providers
> refuse to carry usenet. My own provider stopped on April 1, so at home
> Google is my only resource unless I want to spend even more money. My
> provider at work still offers usenet but since all the other providers
> in the province have bailed we expect it to be only a matter of time
> before it does also.

My internet provider got it back, but i have to hang up and redial to
get to a different server. So i tend to use google more often now.
Doesn't mean I am new to usenet or think it is a chat room.

No cooking tonight. I smashed 3 fingers today. Still icing. Can't bend
one of them.

Old Mother Ashby 06-05-2006 08:48 AM

Broken Egg In Carton

wrote:

>Gabby wrote:
>

>>Many of us don't have a choice since more and more Internet providers
>>refuse to carry usenet. My own provider stopped on April 1, so at home
>>Google is my only resource unless I want to spend even more money. My
>>provider at work still offers usenet but since all the other providers
>>in the province have bailed we expect it to be only a matter of time
>>before it does also.
>>

>My internet provider got it back, but i have to hang up and redial to
>get to a different server. So i tend to use google more often now.
>Doesn't mean I am new to usenet or think it is a chat room.
>
>No cooking tonight. I smashed 3 fingers today. Still icing. Can't bend
>one of them.

You don't need two fully functional hands to cook any more than you do
to type. Just don't try filleting fish :-)

Christine