Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chicken fried steak

Finally got around to making it, I have never had this before.
Well, I like it. Buttermilk and egg dip, flour seasoned with
s/p/garlic/cayenne and a little baking powder, fried up the
cube steaks. Nice, served with peas and my first
tomato/cucumber salad of the summer.

Thanks, Jill, though I didn't make the gravy or biscuits either,
for that matter. You know how us northerners are.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> Finally got around to making it, I have never had this before.
> Well, I like it. Buttermilk and egg dip, flour seasoned with
> s/p/garlic/cayenne and a little baking powder, fried up the
> cube steaks. Nice, served with peas and my first
> tomato/cucumber salad of the summer.
>
> Thanks, Jill, though I didn't make the gravy or biscuits either,
> for that matter. You know how us northerners are.
>
> nancy

I remember being astonished that there was no chicken!

It is not usually on the menu around here and I had read about it many
but never had it until one time in Detroit (pre-internet so I could not
google the recipe)
John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:
>> Finally got around to making it, I have never had this before.
>> Well, I like it. Buttermilk and egg dip, flour seasoned with
>> s/p/garlic/cayenne and a little baking powder, fried up the
>> cube steaks.

> I remember being astonished that there was no chicken!

Heh, that's funny. My stumbling block was thinking a
steak, being fried like chicken. Steak to me meaning
ribeye or something. Just didn't appeal. It was perfect
with the tenderized round steaks or whatever they were,
steaks I'd normally never bother with.

> It is not usually on the menu around here and I had read about it many
> but never had it until one time in Detroit (pre-internet so I could not
> google the recipe)

That's funny, because I never see it on the menu around here,
either. When I was in Florida a couple of months ago, I saw it and
was this close to ordering it but didn't.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

" > wrote
in oups.com:

> Nancy Young wrote:
>> Finally got around to making it, I have never had this before.
>> Well, I like it. Buttermilk and egg dip, flour seasoned with
>> s/p/garlic/cayenne and a little baking powder, fried up the
>> cube steaks. Nice, served with peas and my first
>> tomato/cucumber salad of the summer.
>>
>> Thanks, Jill, though I didn't make the gravy or biscuits either,
>> for that matter. You know how us northerners are.
>>
>> nancy

> I remember being astonished that there was no chicken!
>
> It is not usually on the menu around here and I had read about it many
> but never had it until one time in Detroit (pre-internet so I could not
> google the recipe)
> John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Before I cared what I ate, I found IHOP's Chicken Fried Steak breakfast
combo. Chicken fried steak with gravy, 3 eggs, hash browns and two
biscuits and more gravy (pancake substitute). $7.99. But that was in L.A.
Here I wouldn't set foot in the IHOP in town. I ordered the same
breakfast and the waitress asked me how I'd like my steak!!!! I said
"chicken fried." She said "OH yeah, right." When it came, my chicken
fried steak was naked. I said "where's the gravy" She said she'd ask the
chef. 5 minutes later I got my gravy and it was cold. Keeping up their
quality standards, the gravy is apparently a powder/add water and nuke it
gravy. And they forgot the hashbrowns. I left after a free cup of coffee.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> Nancy Young wrote:
> > Finally got around to making it, I have never had this before.
> > Well, I like it. Buttermilk and egg dip, flour seasoned with
> > s/p/garlic/cayenne and a little baking powder, fried up the
> > cube steaks. Nice, served with peas and my first
> > tomato/cucumber salad of the summer.
> >
> > Thanks, Jill, though I didn't make the gravy or biscuits either,
> > for that matter. You know how us northerners are.
> >
> > nancy

> I remember being astonished that there was no chicken!
>
> It is not usually on the menu around here and I had read about it many
> but never had it until one time in Detroit (pre-internet so I could not
> google the recipe)
> John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

John,

What did you think of it? We have a Canadian friend from Winnipeg and he
ordered chicken fried steak in San Antonio... to say he disliked it
intensely would be an understatement! He did refuse to put any cream gravy
on it though and ate it dry. We never could understand how he so
passionately disliked it.

Chris in Pearland, TX where CFS is everywhere

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote

> Before I cared what I ate, I found IHOP's Chicken Fried Steak breakfast
> combo.

Funny, I was wondering a few minutes ago, what menu would I
find it on here; I thought, Perkins. A breakfast type (to me) place,
I would only think to go there for breakfast, anyway.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in news:e3bedl$d8c$1
@news.monmouth.com:

> "Andy" <q> wrote
>
>> Before I cared what I ate, I found IHOP's Chicken Fried Steak

breakfast
>> combo.

> Funny, I was wondering a few minutes ago, what menu would I
> find it on here; I thought, Perkins. A breakfast type (to me) place,
> I would only think to go there for breakfast, anyway.
>
> nancy

Yes! Perkins. I used to go to the $2.00 all you could eat Sunday
breakfast buffet when I lived in Florida and just plate up biscuits and
gravy (sausage gravy!) until I was stuffed. But the one near me doesn't
do biscuits and gravy. They said that's a regional option. THE BUMS!!!

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Nancy Young wrote:

> Funny, I was wondering a few minutes ago, what menu would I
> find it on here; I thought, Perkins. A breakfast type (to me) place,
> I would only think to go there for breakfast, anyway.

I think of it as highway diner food. A mom and pop kind of place might
still do it as you did, but for the big volume places and the chains it
has become another frozen and deep-fried item.

The gravy is essential, though, for the whole experience. I'm
astonished that you ate it plain. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> Funny, I was wondering a few minutes ago, what menu would I
>> find it on here; I thought, Perkins. A breakfast type (to me) place,
>> I would only think to go there for breakfast, anyway.
>>

> I think of it as highway diner food. A mom and pop kind of place might
> still do it as you did, but for the big volume places and the chains it
> has become another frozen and deep-fried item.

Gotcha, and I don't know why I didn't think of diners, of course.
Been far too long since I've been in one.

> The gravy is essential, though, for the whole experience. I'm
> astonished that you ate it plain.

(laugh!) That's funny. No, I didn't miss the gravy
at all. I also fail to see the point in frying chicken then pouring
gravy over that, too.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> Recently, I was not surprised to discover the chicken fried steak I'd
> ordered at a little Laotion owned breakfast cafe, was in fact chicken.
> When I asked why it was chicken and not beef, she replied, "It's
> CHICKEN fried steak." I saw it coming and so deserved it.

Similarly, when I was in Italy I was encouraged to try "Bistecca Milanese,"
which is chicken breast pounded flat, covered with breadcrumbs and Parmesan,
then pan-fried. I guess it's a "Welsh Rabbit" kind of thing.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chris Marksberry" > wrote in
:

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>>
>> Nancy Young wrote:
>> > Finally got around to making it, I have never had this before.
>> > Well, I like it. Buttermilk and egg dip, flour seasoned with
>> > s/p/garlic/cayenne and a little baking powder, fried up the
>> > cube steaks. Nice, served with peas and my first
>> > tomato/cucumber salad of the summer.
>> >
>> > Thanks, Jill, though I didn't make the gravy or biscuits either,
>> > for that matter. You know how us northerners are.
>> >
>> > nancy

>> I remember being astonished that there was no chicken!
>>
>> It is not usually on the menu around here and I had read about it
>> many but never had it until one time in Detroit (pre-internet so I
>> could not google the recipe)
>> John Kane, Kingston ON Canada
>>

> John,
>
> What did you think of it? We have a Canadian friend from Winnipeg and
> he ordered chicken fried steak in San Antonio... to say he disliked
> it intensely would be an understatement! He did refuse to put any
> cream gravy on it though and ate it dry. We never could understand
> how he so passionately disliked it.
>
> Chris in Pearland, TX where CFS is everywhere

When I was living in CA, I saw it on the menu at Denny's in Perris. The
mere name put me off!!

Just did a Googgle on it and found out that it's basically what we
called 'Crumbed Steak' over here. But we don't usually have it with
gravy........ well, I wouldn't anyway!!

http://southernfood.about.com/librar...y/aa980222.htm

Then found another recipe that's basically a battered steak that is
*deep fried*!!

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1739...224192,00.html

BLECH!!!

We batter our fish and deep fry them....... don't know if we'll ever get
on to the deep fried battered steak though!!

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

At this spectacle even the most gentle must feel savage, and the most
savage must weep.

Turkish Officer
400 Plateau
24May1915
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 03 May 2006 05:51:40p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Michael
"Dog3" Lonergan?

> "Nancy Young" > :
>
>> Finally got around to making it, I have never had this before.

> OMG! It's one of my favorite comfort foods.
>
>> Well, I like it. Buttermilk and egg dip, flour seasoned with
>> s/p/garlic/cayenne and a little baking powder, fried up the
>> cube steaks. Nice, served with peas and my first tomato/cucumber
>> salad of the summer.

> Sounds very good.
>

>> Thanks, Jill, though I didn't make the gravy or biscuits either, for
>> that matter. You know how us northerners are.
>>
>> nancy

> Whoops... no country gravy? No mashed potatoes? No biscuits? Well, ya'
> did good anyway. Your dinner sounds yummy.
>
> Michael

I've never liked any kind of gravy with chicken fried steak. My
"standard" sides are greens peas, mashed potatoes, and sliced tomatoes and
cucumbers. I don't dip mine in any kind of liquid mixture, just the moist
steak well coated in seasoned flour.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> > Funny, I was wondering a few minutes ago, what menu would I
> > find it on here; I thought, Perkins. A breakfast type (to me) place,
> > I would only think to go there for breakfast, anyway.
> >
> > nancy

> Around here CFS is usually at a Perkins or Denny's type of place. I don't
> see it on the menu at the more upscale places. It's good for dinner or
> that wonderful hangover breakfast
>
> Michael

Well... here in Houston CFS is available at upscale restaurants. At a
restaurant once known as The Confederate House (now the called the State
Grille... name changed for PC reasons) instead of using the traditional
round steak, they prepare theirs using a ribeye steak.

http://thestategrille.com/page/o4qe/Home_Events.html

Chris in Pearland, TX

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in news:e3b9pt$b1v$1
@news.monmouth.com:

> Finally got around to making it, I have never had this before.
> Well, I like it. Buttermilk and egg dip, flour seasoned with
> s/p/garlic/cayenne and a little baking powder, fried up the
> cube steaks. Nice, served with peas and my first
> tomato/cucumber salad of the summer.

We're on our last salads over here. It's getting cold enough to freeze
the balls off a brass monkey!!

Made a lovely red wine and green peppercorn casserole at the beginning
of the week.... the SO said it was *very* nice and promptly took all
remaining leftovers to work for lunch for the next couple of days!!

So now we are into casserole, curry, and steaks cooked over a wood fire
days!!

Along with a bottle or 2 of red wine :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

At this spectacle even the most gentle must feel savage, and the most
savage must weep.

Turkish Officer
400 Plateau
24May1915

Posted to rec.food.cooking

:

> wrote in message
groups.com...

>>>I remember being astonished that there was no chicken!
>>>
>>>It is not usually on the menu around here and I had read about it
>>>many but never had it until one time in Detroit (pre-internet so I
>>>could not google the recipe)
>>>John Kane, Kingston ON Canada
>>>

>>John,
>>
>>What did you think of it? We have a Canadian friend from Winnipeg and
>>he ordered chicken fried steak in San Antonio... to say he disliked
>>it intensely would be an understatement! He did refuse to put any
>>cream gravy on it though and ate it dry. We never could understand
>>how he so passionately disliked it.
>>
>>Chris in Pearland, TX where CFS is everywhere
>>

>When I was living in CA, I saw it on the menu at Denny's in Perris. The
>mere name put me off!!
>
>Just did a Googgle on it and found out that it's basically what we
>called 'Crumbed Steak' over here. But we don't usually have it with
>gravy........ well, I wouldn't anyway!!
>
>http://southernfood.about.com/librar...y/aa980222.htm
>
>Then found another recipe that's basically a battered steak that is
>*deep fried*!!
>
>http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1739...224192,00.html
>

>BLECH!!!
>
>We batter our fish and deep fry them....... don't know if we'll ever get
>on to the deep fried battered steak though!!

The Coodabeen Champions (Melbourne radio personalities) used to have a
character who went in for battered salad sandwiches. And of course the
deep-fried battered Mars Bar is Glasgow's gift to the culinary world!
Deep-fried steak doesn't sound all that exotic, probably an improvement
on battered savs.
Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

LucasP wrote:

>"Nancy Young" > wrote in news:e3b9pt$b1v$1
:

>>Finally got around to making it, I have never had this before.
>>Well, I like it. Buttermilk and egg dip, flour seasoned with
>>s/p/garlic/cayenne and a little baking powder, fried up the
>>cube steaks. Nice, served with peas and my first
>>tomato/cucumber salad of the summer.
>>

>We're on our last salads over here. It's getting cold enough to freeze
>the balls off a brass monkey!!

In *Brisbane*? I've heard of climate change, but that sounds a bit
unlikely. You bananabenders must have very thin blood.

>Made a lovely red wine and green peppercorn casserole at the beginning
>of the week.... the SO said it was *very* nice and promptly took all
>remaining leftovers to work for lunch for the next couple of days!!
>
>So now we are into casserole, curry, and steaks cooked over a wood fire
>days!!
>
>Along with a bottle or 2 of red wine :-)

Absolutely. Last weekend I christened my new pressure cooker with 2
kilos of ox cheek in red wine, and also made a batch of baked beans. The
freezer is now chokka with leftovers.

This weekend I think it'll be pea soup and a lamb curry. And I'm
starting to crave sticky date pudding.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> Finally got around to making it, I have never had this before.
> Well, I like it. Buttermilk and egg dip, flour seasoned with
> s/p/garlic/cayenne and a little baking powder, fried up the
> cube steaks. Nice, served with peas and my first
> tomato/cucumber salad of the summer.
>
> Thanks, Jill, though I didn't make the gravy or biscuits either,
> for that matter. You know how us northerners are.
>
> nancy

Actually, I call it "country fried steak" but I do recognize it as chicken
fried stuff. But how could you serve it without gravy?! Yikes and
geezlepeets! (giggling)

Biscuits aren't essential but how about mashed potatoes?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> "aem" > wrote
>
> > Nancy Young wrote:
> >
> >> Funny, I was wondering a few minutes ago, what menu would I
> >> find it on here; I thought, Perkins. A breakfast type (to me) place,
> >> I would only think to go there for breakfast, anyway.
> >>

> > I think of it as highway diner food. A mom and pop kind of place might
> > still do it as you did, but for the big volume places and the chains it
> > has become another frozen and deep-fried item.

> Gotcha, and I don't know why I didn't think of diners, of course.
> Been far too long since I've been in one.
>
> > The gravy is essential, though, for the whole experience. I'm
> > astonished that you ate it plain.

> (laugh!) That's funny. No, I didn't miss the gravy
> at all. I also fail to see the point in frying chicken then pouring
> gravy over that, too.

You do understand that the "gravy" here is really a thin bechamel (fat,
flour, milk, pan scrapings), seasoned with salt and pepper?

Isaac

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Old Mother Ashby > wrote in news:44596fa6$0$16965
:

> The Coodabeen Champions (Melbourne radio personalities) used to have a
> character who went in for battered salad sandwiches.

WHAT THE.......!!!!!

Sounds as appetizing as (dead) Elvis' deep fried peanut paste and banana
sandwiches!!

>And of course the
> deep-fried battered Mars Bar is Glasgow's gift to the culinary world!

Which explains why Glaswegians are like they are!!

> Deep-fried steak doesn't sound all that exotic, probably an

improvement
> on battered savs.

Another culinary treat I don't eat!!

Tempura prawns and vegetables, or a nice bit of beer battered fish is
about the extent of my 'battering'!!

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

At this spectacle even the most gentle must feel savage, and the most
savage must weep.

Turkish Officer
400 Plateau
24May1915
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Old Mother Ashby > wrote in news:4459714d$0$16965
:

> LucasP wrote:
>
>>"Nancy Young" > wrote in news:e3b9pt$b1v$1
:

>>>Finally got around to making it, I have never had this before.
>>>Well, I like it. Buttermilk and egg dip, flour seasoned with
>>>s/p/garlic/cayenne and a little baking powder, fried up the
>>>cube steaks. Nice, served with peas and my first
>>>tomato/cucumber salad of the summer.
>>>

>>We're on our last salads over here. It's getting cold enough to freeze
>>the balls off a brass monkey!!
>>

> In *Brisbane*? I've heard of climate change, but that sounds a bit
> unlikely. You bananabenders must have very thin blood.

That's why you see us all standing out in the sun.... like shags on a
rock :-)

>>Made a lovely red wine and green peppercorn casserole at the beginning
>>of the week.... the SO said it was *very* nice and promptly took all
>>remaining leftovers to work for lunch for the next couple of days!!
>>
>>So now we are into casserole, curry, and steaks cooked over a wood

fire
>>days!!
>>
>>Along with a bottle or 2 of red wine :-)
>>

> Absolutely. Last weekend I christened my new pressure cooker with 2
> kilos of ox cheek in red wine,

Hmmmmmmm, you actually can eat those beef cheeks, hey? I usually buy
them for the pooch. She loves them raw :-)

>and also made a batch of baked beans. The
> freezer is now chokka with leftovers.
>
> This weekend I think it'll be pea soup and a lamb curry. And I'm
> starting to crave sticky date pudding.

Yep, winter is nearly upon us!! :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

At this spectacle even the most gentle must feel savage, and the most
savage must weep.

Turkish Officer
400 Plateau
24May1915
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"isw" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote:

>> (laugh!) That's funny. No, I didn't miss the gravy
>> at all. I also fail to see the point in frying chicken then pouring
>> gravy over that, too.

> You do understand that the "gravy" here is really a thin bechamel (fat,
> flour, milk, pan scrapings), seasoned with salt and pepper?

Yes, I read the recipe.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

isw wrote:
> You do understand that the "gravy" here is really a thin bechamel (fat,
> flour, milk, pan scrapings), seasoned with salt and pepper?

Red Eye gravy.

Nectar of the long-haul gods.

And the only way to do CFS is to pound the flour into the meat.

--Blair

Posted to rec.food.cooking

isw wrote:
> You do understand that the "gravy" here is really a thin bechamel (fat,
> flour, milk, pan scrapings), seasoned with salt and pepper?

Red Eye gravy.

Nectar of the long-haul gods.

And the only way to do CFS is to pound the flour into the meat.

--Blair

Posted to rec.food.cooking

LucasP wrote:
\> Hmmmmmmm, you actually can eat those beef cheeks, hey? I usually buy

> them for the pooch. She loves them raw :-)

You kidding?

Cabeza is the shiznit, bra.

--Blair

Posted to rec.food.cooking

LucasP wrote:

>Old Mother Ashby > wrote in news:4459714d$0$16965
:

>>Absolutely. Last weekend I christened my new pressure cooker with 2
>>kilos of ox cheek in red wine,
>>

>Hmmmmmmm, you actually can eat those beef cheeks, hey? I usually buy
>them for the pooch. She loves them raw :-)

Good grief, you give ox cheeks to the dishlicker! Treat them as you
would oxtail and you get the most sublime braise, but without the excess
fat or the bones to worry about. It's not always easy to get hold of
here, you've got to stand in line behind the butcher's commercial
customers. A few years ago, I grant you, nobody had heard of the stuff,
but there have been a few recipes about lately in the popular press and
the word is out.

It's not notably expensive, I paid $8.50 a kilo last week.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blair P. Houghton wrote:

>LucasP wrote:
>\> Hmmmmmmm, you actually can eat those beef cheeks, hey? I usually buy
>

>>them for the pooch. She loves them raw :-)
>>

>You kidding?
>
>Cabeza is the shiznit, bra.
>
>--Blair

Could you run that past us again, in English? :-)

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Old Mother Ashby > wrote in news:44599705$0$16973
:

> Blair P. Houghton wrote:
>
>>LucasP wrote:
>>\> Hmmmmmmm, you actually can eat those beef cheeks, hey? I usually

buy

>>>them for the pooch. She loves them raw :-)
>>>

>>You kidding?
>>
>>Cabeza is the shiznit, bra.
>>
>>--Blair
>>

> Could you run that past us again, in English? :-)

I think it was along the lines of "Naanoo, Naanoo, shuzbut!!"

Blair = Mork from Ork.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

At this spectacle even the most gentle must feel savage, and the most
savage must weep.

Turkish Officer
400 Plateau
24May1915
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Old Mother Ashby > wrote in news:44599659$0$16973
:

> LucasP wrote:
>
>>Old Mother Ashby > wrote in news:4459714d$0

$16965
:

>>>Absolutely. Last weekend I christened my new pressure cooker with 2
>>>kilos of ox cheek in red wine,
>>>

>>Hmmmmmmm, you actually can eat those beef cheeks, hey? I usually buy
>>them for the pooch. She loves them raw :-)
>>

> Good grief, you give ox cheeks to the dishlicker! Treat them as you
> would oxtail and you get the most sublime braise, but without the

excess
> fat or the bones to worry about.

Hmmmmmmmmm, not when I get them in the dog food section!! That's where
the beef hearts and lamb hearts are as well.
(She loves them too!!)

>It's not always easy to get hold of
> here, you've got to stand in line behind the butcher's commercial
> customers. A few years ago, I grant you, nobody had heard of the

stuff,
> but there have been a few recipes about lately in the popular press

and
> the word is out.
>
> It's not notably expensive, I paid $8.50 a kilo last week.

I get them from either Coles or Woolies for no more than $4.50kg.

Beef hearts used to be $3.50kg, but they've gone up to about $4.99kg.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

At this spectacle even the most gentle must feel savage, and the most
savage must weep.

Turkish Officer
400 Plateau
24May1915

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> Similarly, when I was in Italy I was encouraged to try "Bistecca
> Milanese," which is chicken breast pounded flat, covered with
> breadcrumbs and Parmesan, then pan-fried. I guess it's a "Welsh
> Rabbit" kind of thing.

"Bistecca milanese" or "cotoletta alla milanese"?
Having never heard about the first, I'd think it was the latter, and
"cotoletta alla milanese" should be beef, not chicken. And it should be a
piace of meat with bone, if boneless they call it "orecchia d'elefante"
(elephant ear) in Milano.
"Cotoletta", or "coteletta"; derives clearly from "costoletta", which is a
bone-in meat cut.
Check this photo (the recipe here calls for veal chops):
http://www.coltelliericette.it/ricet...nali.asp?id=22
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"LucasP" > wrote

> Then found another recipe that's basically a battered steak that is
> *deep fried*!!

I should have commented on this yesterday. It wasn't
deep fried. You cook it in a pan with a little oil. Your
description sounds nasty, it wasn't.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cabeza is a traditional Mexican way to deal with everything above the
neck of a bovine (after the lengua is removed).

Toss the whole head in a pot and stew it. Then pick the meat off and
serve in tacos.

Unbelievably beefy (also extremely fatty).

--Blair

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> Finally got around to making it, I have never had this before.
> Well, I like it. Buttermilk and egg dip, flour seasoned with
> s/p/garlic/cayenne and a little baking powder, fried up the
> cube steaks. Nice, served with peas and my first
> tomato/cucumber salad of the summer.
>
> Thanks, Jill, though I didn't make the gravy or biscuits either,
> for that matter. You know how us northerners are.
>
> nancy

This northerner can't have chicken fried steak without the biscuits and
gravy. ;-) Paula Deen's recipe (from a "road food") episode is great.
Buttermilk only for the batter.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote

> This northerner can't have chicken fried steak without the biscuits and
> gravy. ;-) Paula Deen's recipe (from a "road food") episode is great.
> Buttermilk only for the batter.

Oh, you don't count as a northerner. (laugh) Actually,
Paula Deen making country fried steak on her show made
me think, make that already, you've been talking about it
forever now. Call it country fried, call it chicken fried, you
don't have to put gravy on it! Roons it.

(smile) nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Like Jill says:
Actually, I call it "country fried steak" but I do recognize it as
chicken
fried stuff.

Same here, fry up the cubed steak, make your gravy and then put the
steaks back in the gravy and let it simmer on very very low heat about
and hour or so. Mashed potatoes, of course is the side dish!

Darn, I'm going out later this week and look at the country style spare
ribs and now will have to check out the cubed steaks to make this dish
again. :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> " > wrote
> in oups.com:
>

> > Nancy Young wrote:
> >> Finally got around to making it, I have never had this before.
> >> Well, I like it. Buttermilk and egg dip, flour seasoned with
> >> s/p/garlic/cayenne and a little baking powder, fried up the
> >> cube steaks. Nice, served with peas and my first
> >> tomato/cucumber salad of the summer.
> >>
> >> Thanks, Jill, though I didn't make the gravy or biscuits either,
> >> for that matter. You know how us northerners are.
> >>
> >> nancy

> > I remember being astonished that there was no chicken!
> >
> > It is not usually on the menu around here and I had read about it many
> > but never had it until one time in Detroit (pre-internet so I could not
> > google the recipe)
> > John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

> Before I cared what I ate, I found IHOP's Chicken Fried Steak breakfast
> combo. Chicken fried steak with gravy, 3 eggs, hash browns and two
> biscuits and more gravy (pancake substitute). $7.99. But that was in L.A.
> Here I wouldn't set foot in the IHOP in town. I ordered the same
> breakfast and the waitress asked me how I'd like my steak!!!! I said
> "chicken fried." She said "OH yeah, right." When it came, my chicken
> fried steak was naked. I said "where's the gravy" She said she'd ask the
> chef. 5 minutes later I got my gravy and it was cold. Keeping up their
> quality standards, the gravy is apparently a powder/add water and nuke it
> gravy. And they forgot the hashbrowns. I left after a free cup of coffee.

Anybody who eats at IHOP more than once deserves what they get. That
goes for Waffle House as well.

> Andy

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Food Snob" > wrote in
oups.com:

>> Before I cared what I ate, I found IHOP's Chicken Fried Steak
>> breakfast combo. Chicken fried steak with gravy, 3 eggs, hash browns
>> and two biscuits and more gravy (pancake substitute). $7.99. But that
>> was in L.A. Here I wouldn't set foot in the IHOP in town. I ordered
>> the same breakfast and the waitress asked me how I'd like my
>> steak!!!! I said "chicken fried." She said "OH yeah, right." When it
>> came, my chicken fried steak was naked. I said "where's the gravy"
>> She said she'd ask the chef. 5 minutes later I got my gravy and it
>> was cold. Keeping up their quality standards, the gravy is apparently
>> a powder/add water and nuke it gravy. And they forgot the hashbrowns.
>> I left after a free cup of coffee.

> Anybody who eats at IHOP more than once deserves what they get. That
> goes for Waffle House as well.
>>
>> Andy

> --Bryan

Bryan,

Guilty as charged. I don't know if the Amish, out Lancaster way do CFS &
Gravy, but that's the closest premier freshest cuisine money can buy in
these parts.

Had my first slice of shoo fly pie there last year and it was divine not
to mention the rest of the spread!

Sadly, there's a waffle-house right on Rte. 30 right there in the midst
of Pennsylvania Dutch country! There oughtta be a law!!!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in news:e3cuha$7l5$1
@news.monmouth.com:

> "LucasP" > wrote
>
>> Then found another recipe that's basically a battered steak that is
>> *deep fried*!!

> I should have commented on this yesterday. It wasn't
> deep fried. You cook it in a pan with a little oil. Your
> description sounds nasty, it wasn't.
>
> nancy

As per my previous post........
http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1739...224192,00.html

CHICKEN FRIED STEAK

TO PREPARE THE STEAK:

Use 2 pound round steak, 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick. Ask butcher to tenderize
or pound it thoroughly on both sides with meat-tenderizing mallet. Trim
off fat. Cut into pieces 5 to 6 inches in diameter. Flour each piece
thoroughly and shake off excess. Dip in Chicken Fried Steak Batter (see
below for recipe), drain, then flour it again.
**Use deep fry pan half-filled with a good brand of vegetable oil.**
Preheat oil to 325 degrees. Cook meat 7 to 10 minutes or until golden
brown.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^

That sounds *deep fried* to me....... and you're right, it's nasty!!

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

At this spectacle even the most gentle must feel savage, and the most
savage must weep.

Turkish Officer
400 Plateau
24May1915
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in news:1146755472.639598.317590
@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com:

> Nancy Young wrote:
>> Finally got around to making it, I have never had this before.
>> Well, I like it. Buttermilk and egg dip, flour seasoned with
>> s/p/garlic/cayenne and a little baking powder, fried up the
>> cube steaks. Nice, served with peas and my first
>> tomato/cucumber salad of the summer.
>>
>> Thanks, Jill, though I didn't make the gravy or biscuits either,
>> for that matter. You know how us northerners are.
>>
>> nancy

> This northerner can't have chicken fried steak without the biscuits

and
> gravy. ;-)

Yum!! Iced Vo-Vo's with gravy....... how appetizing!!

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

At this spectacle even the most gentle must feel savage, and the most
savage must weep.

Turkish Officer
400 Plateau
24May1915

Cut for Chicken Fried Steak Steve Freides[_2_] General Cooking 120 20-02-2015 11:11 PM
Chicken Fried Steak vs. Country Fried Steak Wayne Boatwright General Cooking 1 15-05-2006 02:00 PM
Country Fried Steak, was chicken fried steak last week itsjoannotjoann General Cooking 25 15-05-2006 11:10 AM
chicken fried steak Tim Recipes 0 03-05-2005 04:41 PM
chicken fried steak Dimitri General Cooking 42 28-11-2004 04:07 AM