Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

Default Olive oil theft by Mafia

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...-13762,00.html

Damn!! Looks like I'll be paying more for my oil from now on :-/

Might have to swap to Italian, or Greek.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

At this spectacle even the most gentle must feel savage, and the most
savage must weep.

Turkish Officer
400 Plateau
24May1915
Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

"LucasG" > wrote

> http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...-13762,00.html
>

> Damn!! Looks like I'll be paying more for my oil from now on :-/
>
> Might have to swap to Italian, or Greek.

I have been wondering why I cannot find my brand, Colavita.
Very strange.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

"Nancy Young" > wrote in news:e38n18$d2$1
@news.monmouth.com:

> "LucasG" > wrote
>
>> http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...-13762,00.html
>>

>> Damn!! Looks like I'll be paying more for my oil from now on :-/
>>
>> Might have to swap to Italian, or Greek.

> I have been wondering why I cannot find my brand, Colavita.

My favourite as well.

> Very strange.

Liquid gold :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

At this spectacle even the most gentle must feel savage, and the most
savage must weep.

Turkish Officer
400 Plateau
24May1915
Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

"LucasP" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in news:e38n18$d2$1
> @news.monmouth.com:

>> I have been wondering why I cannot find my brand, Colavita.

> My favourite as well.

>> Very strange.

> Liquid gold :-)

Hmmm ... are you the one who's been buying it all up?

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

"Nancy Young" > wrote in news:e38u2f$3ld$1
@news.monmouth.com:

> "LucasP" > wrote
>
>> "Nancy Young" > wrote in news:e38n18$d2$1
>> @news.monmouth.com:

>>> I have been wondering why I cannot find my brand, Colavita.

>> My favourite as well.

>>> Very strange.

>> Liquid gold :-)

> Hmmm ... are you the one who's been buying it all up?

LOL!! Unfortunately, no.

But with the prices they are getting for it, it might as well be liquid
gold!!

I've tried both the Greek and the Italian, and the flavour doesn't
compare.

But...... looks like we'll have to get used to those for awhile, anyway.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

At this spectacle even the most gentle must feel savage, and the most
savage must weep.

Turkish Officer
400 Plateau
24May1915

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

On Tue 02 May 2006 05:49:17p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it LucasP?

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in news:e38u2f$3ld$1
> @news.monmouth.com:
>

>> "LucasP" > wrote
>>
>>> "Nancy Young" > wrote in news:e38n18$d2$1
>>> @news.monmouth.com:

>>> My favourite as well.

>>> Liquid gold :-)

>> Hmmm ... are you the one who's been buying it all up?
>>

> LOL!! Unfortunately, no.
>
> But with the prices they are getting for it, it might as well be liquid
> gold!!
>
> I've tried both the Greek and the Italian, and the flavour doesn't
> compare.
>
> But...... looks like we'll have to get used to those for awhile, anyway.

I bought some excellent EVOO at Costco about a month ago at a very
reasonable price.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> I bought some excellent EVOO at Costco about a month ago
> at a very reasonable price.

So did I! La Gambino is an excellent brand! :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

On Tue, 2 May 2006 18:38:30 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>"LucasG" > wrote
>
>> http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...-13762,00.html
>>

>> Damn!! Looks like I'll be paying more for my oil from now on :-/
>>
>> Might have to swap to Italian, or Greek.

>I have been wondering why I cannot find my brand, Colavita.
>Very strange.

I thought Colavita was Italian, not Spanish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

:

>>"LucasP" > wrote
>>

>>>"Nancy Young" > wrote in news:e38n18$d2$1
:

>>>My favourite as well.

>>>Liquid gold :-)
>>>

>>Hmmm ... are you the one who's been buying it all up?
>>

>LOL!! Unfortunately, no.
>
>But with the prices they are getting for it, it might as well be liquid
>gold!!
>
>I've tried both the Greek and the Italian, and the flavour doesn't
>compare.
>
>But...... looks like we'll have to get used to those for awhile, anyway.

So what do you think of the local product? I've given up buying imported
EVO, I think you've gotta support our own.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

>>>I have been wondering why I cannot find my brand, Colavita.
>>>Very strange.

>> I thought Colavita was Italian, not Spanish.

> Almost all the olives come from Spain. Colavita is probably
> grown in Spain, processed and blended in Italy.
>
> -sw

I saw Colavita at BJ's the other day; didn't buy it because I thought it was
a lesser brand as I've seen it in most grocery stores on a regular basis.
Hmmm.
Dee Dee
Virginia, USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

"LucasG" > wrote in message

> http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...-13762,00.html

"Olive oil costs up to 5 euro ($8.30) a litre in supermarkets"

Hmmm. I might have to start working on a process to turn unleaded petrol
into olive oil. Could make a bit of money here.

I'll have to sell it quickly though. The way fuel prices are going I'll want
to turn it back into petrol in about 6 months.

--
Kwyj

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

"Old Mother Ashby" > wrote in message

> So what do you think of the local product?

Their wogs seem better at making it than our wogs.

--
Kwyj

Posted to rec.food.cooking

LucasG wrote:
> http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...-13762,00.html
>

> Damn!! Looks like I'll be paying more for my oil from now on :-/
>
> Might have to swap to Italian, or Greek.
>

> --
> Peter Lucas

Good thing I've switched more over to Grapeseed oil...

Olive oil has been pretty high for awhile now so I just use a bit of it
for flavoring, usually combined with butter. I use it most frequently
for seafood and small amounts for frying poultry.

Grapeseed oil has a higher smoke point and a more neutral flavor so is
more suitable for searing without smoking up the house.

And since I get it from a Greek deli, it's price is slightly lower than
EVOO.

I use peanut oil for deep frying and it's 1/4th the price of Olive oil.

Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

Old Mother Ashby > wrote in news:44583a96$0$16975
:

> LucasP wrote:
>
>>"Nancy Young" > wrote in news:e38u2f$3ld$1
:

>>>"LucasP" > wrote

:

>>>Hmmm ... are you the one who's been buying it all up?
>>>

>>LOL!! Unfortunately, no.
>>
>>But with the prices they are getting for it, it might as well be

liquid
>>gold!!
>>
>>I've tried both the Greek and the Italian, and the flavour doesn't
>>compare.
>>
>>But...... looks like we'll have to get used to those for awhile,

anyway.

> So what do you think of the local product? I've given up buying

imported
> EVO, I think you've gotta support our own.

I actually used Jamie Olivers Avocado oil tonight for the Organic Free
Range roast chook and veges.

But as a snack, we had toasted garlic turkish bread with some of the
JOAO in a side dish to dip into. *Very* tatsy!!

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

At this spectacle even the most gentle must feel savage, and the most
savage must weep.

Turkish Officer
400 Plateau
24May1915
Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

LucasG wrote:

> http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...-13762,00.html
>
> Damn!! Looks like I'll be paying more for my oil from now on :-/
>
> Might have to swap to Italian, or Greek.
>
> --
> Peter Lucas
> Brisbane
> Australia
>
> At this spectacle even the most gentle must feel savage, and the most
> savage must weep.
>
> Turkish Officer
> 400 Plateau
> 24May1915

Lucas,
Sorry to hear you cannot find your favorite brand. Have you tried
Spanish olive oil? My wife and I have been using olive oil in our
kitchen for way over 35 years and the quality, flavor and aroma - in our
opinion - surpasses that of Italian or Greek oils.

Some of the brands we have used a Sensat, Betis, Vigo, Cazorla and
Goya. I would suggest visiting your local supermarket and ask the store
manager to import some if they do not carry Spanish olive oil.

Good luck and happy cooking,

Ray
Austin, Texas
===

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

"Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman" > wrote in
:

> LucasG wrote:
>
>> http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...-13762,00.html
>>
>> Damn!! Looks like I'll be paying more for my oil from now on :-/
>>
>> Might have to swap to Italian, or Greek.
>>

> Lucas,
> Sorry to hear you cannot find your favorite brand. Have you tried
> Spanish olive oil?

Did you even click on the link and read the story???

SHEESH!!

>My wife and I have been using olive oil in our
> kitchen for way over 35 years and the quality, flavor and aroma - in

our
> opinion - surpasses that of Italian or Greek oils.

Which is why I prefer Spanish olive oil.

> Some of the brands we have used a Sensat, Betis, Vigo, Cazorla

and
> Goya. I would suggest visiting your local supermarket and ask the

store
> manager to import some if they do not carry Spanish olive oil.

One of our Aussie brands........

http://tinyurl.com/fhbvx

The brands you mention, I haven't seen them around here.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

At this spectacle even the most gentle must feel savage, and the most
savage must weep.

Turkish Officer
400 Plateau
24May1915
Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

I just looked on the Colavita website, what really is going
on, why am I having (minor, only checked 2 stores) trouble
finding it? Sure enough, they make no mention of why that
might be (harrr). But! I see they have recipes, a very good
looking recipe section. I'm always looking for inspiration.
Right off the bat, zucchini pancakes, I would love to make those!
Anyway, in case anyone is interested: http://www.colavita.com

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

LucasP wrote:

> "Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman" > wrote in
> :
>

> > LucasG wrote:
> >
> >> http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...-13762,00.html
> >>
> >> Damn!! Looks like I'll be paying more for my oil from now on :-/
> >>
> >> Might have to swap to Italian, or Greek.
> >>

> > Lucas,
> > Sorry to hear you cannot find your favorite brand. Have you tried
> > Spanish olive oil?

> Did you even click on the link and read the story???
>
> SHEESH!!
>
> >My wife and I have been using olive oil in our
> > kitchen for way over 35 years and the quality, flavor and aroma - in

> our
> > opinion - surpasses that of Italian or Greek oils.

> Which is why I prefer Spanish olive oil.
>

> > Some of the brands we have used a Sensat, Betis, Vigo, Cazorla

> and
> > Goya. I would suggest visiting your local supermarket and ask the

> store
> > manager to import some if they do not carry Spanish olive oil.
> >

> One of our Aussie brands........
>
> http://tinyurl.com/fhbvx
>
> The brands you mention, I haven't seen them around here.
>
> --
> Peter Lucas
> Brisbane
> Australia
>
> At this spectacle even the most gentle must feel savage, and the most
> savage must weep.
>
> Turkish Officer
> 400 Plateau
> 24May1915

Lucas,
I did try the link, but here is what happened. I clicked on it, and after
about 45 seconds and it not coming up, I went to feed my granddaughter -
10 weeks old - I prepared her formula, got her ready and fed her, then
cleaned her up - about 15 minutes. Then I realized - by the smell - that
she had pooped, so I changed her pamper (similar to a diaper but made of
plastic and absorbent materials), promptly cleaned her and did a wash
towel clean up. Put on the new clean pamper walked out in the backyard
with her for about 5 minutes them brought her in and placed her back in
her crib. Feeding, changing and walk in the back yard took about 35
minutes.

I remembered that I had painted the wheels on a plastic model car I am
building and went to check up on it to see my handiwork. Very nice, so I
painted the other 3 wheels. The first one was sort of an experiment with
a new technique I read about on the net. This took about 30 more minutes.

On the way back to my study to see how the download was coming along,
something in the news on the TV caught my eye and sat there watching
President Bush give a speech on the economy of the US. About 15 more
minutes.

All in all, about 1 hour and 20 minutes. When I finally made it back to
the study, the document was still downloading. I clicked on the stop
downloading icon and decided to answer your post the best I could without
the benefit of seeing the link and with the limited information you gave.
You did not mention that you liked Spanish olive oil in your initial
post. If you think that the rest of us have ESP and can read your mind,
you are way off base on this one.

To sum it up, if my response offended you, I could really give a rat's
ass. If I respond honestly and think my advice could be useful and you do
not agree, that is your prerogative, not mine. The newsgroup is here to
provide assistance, advice and answer question posted by the users, if you
do not like the responses don't deride the poster.

Cordially,

Ray
Austin, Texas
===

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

On Wed, 3 May 2006 10:30:29 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>I just looked on the Colavita website, what really is going
>on, why am I having (minor, only checked 2 stores) trouble
>finding it? Sure enough, they make no mention of why that
>might be (harrr). But! I see they have recipes, a very good
>looking recipe section. I'm always looking for inspiration.
>Right off the bat, zucchini pancakes, I would love to make those!
>Anyway, in case anyone is interested: http://www.colavita.com
>
>nancy

I just visited the site because I was curious about where their olives
come from. (Steve W mentioned that they might well be from Spain)
Here's what it says:

"Since the inception of the Colavita family brand, product quality
has been the company's top priority. The company's efforts to maintain
strict quality standards have been recognized by the International
Organization for Standardization (ISO) that has found Colavita to be
in compliance with the ISO 9002 quality system. Furthermore, the
Italian government, through the CERMET organization, granted Colavita
the much-coveted ability to declare "Certified Authentic Product of
Italy" on its extra virgin olive oil labels. This seal assures
consumers worldwide that Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil is obtained
exclusively from Italian olives, generally regarded as the source of
the finest olive oils in the world. "

http://www.colavita.com/oliveoil.htm

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

"Ms.B Haven" > wrote

> On Wed, 3 May 2006 10:30:29 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
> wrote:

> I just visited the site because I was curious about where their olives
> come from. (Steve W mentioned that they might well be from Spain)

Yeah, but I assume the mafia started stealing closer to home
in Italy ... it was just a little joke.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

On Wed, 3 May 2006 15:19:23 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>"Ms.B Haven" > wrote
>
>> On Wed, 3 May 2006 10:30:29 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
>> wrote:

>> I just visited the site because I was curious about where their olives
>> come from. (Steve W mentioned that they might well be from Spain)

>Yeah, but I assume the mafia started stealing closer to home
>in Italy ... it was just a little joke.

Nah, they'd never steal from their own

Weird that you're having trouble finding it, though. I'm going to
have a look and see if it's on the shelves when I go shopping
tomorrow.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

Kwyjibo. wrote:

>"Old Mother Ashby" > wrote in message

>>So what do you think of the local product?
>>

>Their wogs seem better at making it than our wogs.

Wogs? Which brands are we talking about?

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

"Dee Randall" > wrote in
:

>>> I thought Colavita was Italian, not Spanish.

>> Almost all the olives come from Spain. Colavita is probably
>> grown in Spain, processed and blended in Italy.
>>
>> -sw

> I saw Colavita at BJ's the other day; didn't buy it because I thought
> it was a lesser brand as I've seen it in most grocery stores on a
> regular basis. Hmmm.

I usually buy the Colavita EVOO for salads and dipping, and the
Carbonell O/O for cooking and such. If I can't get Carbonell, I'll use
Moro.

But as all have been as expensive as all hell of late, I'm using the 'no
name' brand O/O which is Spanish anyway!!

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

At this spectacle even the most gentle must feel savage, and the most
savage must weep.

Turkish Officer
400 Plateau
24May1915
Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

"Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman" > wrote in
:

> All in all, about 1 hour and 20 minutes. When I finally made it back
> to the study, the document was still downloading.

Time you got a new ISP then.
Or a new computer..

>I clicked on the
> stop downloading icon and decided to answer your post the best I could
> without the benefit of seeing the link and with the limited
> information you gave. You did not mention that you liked Spanish olive
> oil in your initial post. If you think that the rest of us have ESP
> and can read your mind, you are way off base on this one.

No, the rest of the people read what was in the link. Seems strange that
you were the *only* one not to be able to read it.

But here, I'll give you another one

http://tinyurl.com/powur

or maybe you can just Google "spanish olive oil stolen"....... if your
computer/ISP can handle it.

So basically, what you're saying is that without any information on what
the topic was about, you decided to comment on it anyway?
And you get your knickers in a twist when people come back at you??

Are you sure it was the baby that shat it's duds?

> To sum it up, if my response offended you, I could really give a rat's
> ass.

I'm glad that you *do* give a rats arse.

I certainly don't.

>If I respond honestly and think my advice could be useful

It was about as useful as hip pockets on a singlet.

(Or for you non-Aussie members....... as useful as screendoors on a
submarine.... or as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike.)

>and
> you do not agree, that is your prerogative, not mine. The newsgroup
> is here to provide assistance, advice and answer question posted by
> the users, if you do not like the responses don't deride the poster.
>
> Cordially,

Maybe you should lay off the red cordial for awhile, Ray in Texass.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

At this spectacle even the most gentle must feel savage, and the most
savage must weep.

Turkish Officer
400 Plateau
24May1915
Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

Old Mother Ashby > wrote in news:4459230f$0$16971
:

> Kwyjibo. wrote:
>
>>"Old Mother Ashby" > wrote in message

>>>So what do you think of the local product?
>>>

>>Their wogs seem better at making it than our wogs.
>>

> Wogs? Which brands are we talking about?
>
> Christine

LOL!!
For all residents across the pond this will help you with us irreverant
'Colonials'!!

http://www.koalanet.com.au/australian-slang.html

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

At this spectacle even the most gentle must feel savage, and the most
savage must weep.

Turkish Officer
400 Plateau
24May1915

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

Steve Wertz > wrote in
:

> On Wed, 3 May 2006 14:16:26 +0000 (UTC), LucasP wrote:
>
>> Did you even click on the link and read the story???
>>
>> SHEESH!!

> I didn't. I don't open unsolicited links unless someone provides
> some description of the story beforehand.

So you don't open *any* links in *any* newsgroups, hey?

> You have to be an idiot to open all those "Hey - check out this
> link" posts.

Funny........ I didn't put "Hey - check out this link" in the post.

The subject told the main story, the link tells the rest.

> And then half the time someone puts the subject of the link in
> the Subject line, it's not anything having to do with the actual
> story.

One way to find out is to check the link. If it's a dud one, killfile
the poster. Or you could always wait till someone braver than you
actually opens the link to read what's there and makes an informative
comment on it.

You're not paranoid, are you? It's just that everyone's out to get you,
hey?

(Oh, and before you and Ray from Texass get on your hobby horses, please
note the smiley............ :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

At this spectacle even the most gentle must feel savage, and the most
savage must weep.

Turkish Officer
400 Plateau
24May1915
Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

Steve Wertz > wrote in news:1chym14x5sqw6
:

> On Thu, 4 May 2006 01:17:27 +0000 (UTC), LucasP wrote:
>
>> Steve Wertz > wrote in
>> :

>>> I didn't. I don't open unsolicited links unless someone provides
>>> some description of the story beforehand.

>> So you don't open *any* links in *any* newsgroups, hey?

> Not normally, no. I did the same thing Ray did. Clicked the
> link, left the room, and when I got back, I closed down the
> browser without reading the story.
>
> Perhaps it's a "Texass" thing.

Looks like it is. Maybe the WWW is too damn *big* for your Texass ISP's
to handle?? :-)

>Or maybe we just don't really
> care.

I remember a rather good quote from a Drill SGT in the movie 'Full Metal
Jacket' (also used in 'An Officer and a gentleman')

"Texas? Only two things come out of Texas, boy - steers and queers.
Which one are you? I don't see no horns, boy, so you MUST be a queer!"

:-)

I betcha you Texans *hate* those movies, hey? :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

At this spectacle even the most gentle must feel savage, and the most
savage must weep.

Turkish Officer
400 Plateau
24May1915
Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

LucasP wrote:

>Old Mother Ashby > wrote in news:4459230f$0$16971
:

>>Kwyjibo. wrote:

>>>Their wogs seem better at making it than our wogs.
>>>

>>Wogs? Which brands are we talking about?
>>
>>Christine
>>

>LOL!!
>For all residents across the pond this will help you with us irreverant
>'Colonials'!!
>
>http://www.koalanet.com.au/australian-slang.html

Oh ha, ha, very droll! I'm serious - you make olive oil production sound
like some sort of ethnic cottage industry, which is no more the case
than it is with wine. I think the local stuff, which varies considerably
in taste between brands, is very good. I wouldn't go out of my way to
buy foreign EVO - I have most of a bottle of Colavita which Derrick
bought by mistake, and it's too bitter for me. I'm gradually getting rid
of it cooking dishes where it will be buried in other flavours, would
never use it in a dressing.

I take it that you are of a different opinion and actually prefer
imported EVOs.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

:

>>>So you don't open *any* links in *any* newsgroups, hey?
>>>

>>Not normally, no. I did the same thing Ray did. Clicked the
>>link, left the room, and when I got back, I closed down the
>>browser without reading the story.
>>
>>Perhaps it's a "Texass" thing.
>>

>Looks like it is. Maybe the WWW is too damn *big* for your Texass ISP's
>to handle?? :-)
>

>>Or maybe we just don't really
>>care.
>>

>I remember a rather good quote from a Drill SGT in the movie 'Full Metal
>Jacket' (also used in 'An Officer and a gentleman')
>
>"Texas? Only two things come out of Texas, boy - steers and queers.
>Which one are you? I don't see no horns, boy, so you MUST be a queer!"
>
>:-)
>
>I betcha you Texans *hate* those movies, hey? :-)

Oh mate, this is shaping up as a real dead-set donnybrook. I bags a seat
in the front row as soon as the tickets are on sale! ;-D

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

I dunno, have you tried Joseph EVOO:
http://www.primoestate.com.au/Oils/Default.htm?

It's not cheap at 40 bucks a 750, but there's a reason Ponytail Perry and a
lot of the top Aussie chefs use it. You could try napping it over a very
special bowl of 2 minute noodles.

"Kwyjibo." > wrote in message
> "Old Mother Ashby" > wrote in message
>

>> So what do you think of the local product?

> Their wogs seem better at making it than our wogs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

Old Mother Ashby > wrote in news:44596b01$0$16961
:

> LucasP wrote:
>
>>Old Mother Ashby > wrote in news:4459230f$0

$16971
:

>>>Wogs? Which brands are we talking about?
>>>
>>>Christine
>>>

>>LOL!!
>>For all residents across the pond this will help you with us

irreverant
>>'Colonials'!!
>>
>>http://www.koalanet.com.au/australian-slang.html
>>

> Oh ha, ha, very droll! I'm serious - you make olive oil production

sound
> like some sort of ethnic cottage industry, which is no more the case
> than it is with wine. I think the local stuff, which varies

considerably
> in taste between brands, is very good. I wouldn't go out of my way to
> buy foreign EVO - I have most of a bottle of Colavita which Derrick
> bought by mistake, and it's too bitter for me. I'm gradually getting

rid
> of it cooking dishes where it will be buried in other flavours, would
> never use it in a dressing.
>
> I take it that you are of a different opinion and actually prefer
> imported EVOs.

Actually, yes. Something about an "ethnic" group that has spent 100's of
years making a product....

Granted, some of the aussie stuff is getting up there in flavour, but at
almost twice the cost, why bother?

But, as I've stated quite recently, I have been using Olivado Avocado EV
Cold Pressed Oil of late.

But that's from NZ. Do you class that as 'local'?

www.olivado.com

Seems there *was* a factory set up here in Brisbane (Cleveland??) but it
was not economically viable.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

At this spectacle even the most gentle must feel savage, and the most
savage must weep.

Turkish Officer
400 Plateau
24May1915
Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

Old Mother Ashby > wrote in news:44596bcc$0$16974
:

:

>>>Not normally, no. I did the same thing Ray did. Clicked the
>>>link, left the room, and when I got back, I closed down the
>>>browser without reading the story.
>>>
>>>Perhaps it's a "Texass" thing.
>>>

>>Looks like it is. Maybe the WWW is too damn *big* for your Texass

ISP's
>>to handle?? :-)
>>

>>>Or maybe we just don't really
>>>care.
>>>

>>I remember a rather good quote from a Drill SGT in the movie 'Full

Metal
>>Jacket' (also used in 'An Officer and a gentleman')
>>
>>"Texas? Only two things come out of Texas, boy - steers and queers.
>>Which one are you? I don't see no horns, boy, so you MUST be a queer!"
>>
>>:-)
>>
>>I betcha you Texans *hate* those movies, hey? :-)
>>

> Oh mate, this is shaping up as a real dead-set donnybrook. I bags a

seat
> in the front row as soon as the tickets are on sale! ;-D

LOL!!

Hey, the Texans have always bragged how *everything* is bigger in
Texass!!

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

At this spectacle even the most gentle must feel savage, and the most
savage must weep.

Turkish Officer
400 Plateau
24May1915
Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

"Michael" > wrote in
u:

> I dunno, have you tried Joseph EVOO:
> http://www.primoestate.com.au/Oils/Default.htm?
>
> It's not cheap at 40 bucks a 750,

Much the same reason I buy *good* Balsamic but don't buy the stuff
that's $300 odd for a 30ml bottle!!

>but there's a reason Ponytail Perry
> and a lot of the top Aussie chefs use it.

To justify $40 mains dishes?

>You could try napping it
> over a very special bowl of 2 minute noodles.

Then add some beefy tasting jelly fish and give it to a mate :-)

> "Kwyjibo." > wrote in message
>> "Old Mother Ashby" > wrote in message
>>

>>> So what do you think of the local product?

>> Their wogs seem better at making it than our wogs.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

At this spectacle even the most gentle must feel savage, and the most
savage must weep.

Turkish Officer
400 Plateau
24May1915
Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

Olive oil (pricey stuff) Tanks in New Jersey have long
been involved in money launder schemes by New Jersey
families.

"one man gathers what another man spills"

S.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

ost says...

> You guys must have a lot of fun Down Under if your national
> newspaper finds stories of found goldfish worthy of print:

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...-13762,00.html
> -------
> Farmer Ab Oskam, 66, was walking his dog when he recognised the
> fish as one of three belonging to his neighbours Craig and Julie
> Struthers.
>
> They had been swept from their pond by a flash flood in the South
> Island town of Mosgiel five days earlier.

> What kind of backwoods, backwards people would recognize a
> neighbors goldfish and call the national newspaper?? The same
> people who eat witchety grubs, that who.

Typical clueless wannabe-know-it-all. Bet you're a Yank.

The cute "human interest" report is about an event in New Zealand.
Witchety grub eating is an Australian Aboriginal custom.

Different counties. Buy yourself an atlas.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

LucasP wrote:
> Hey, the Texans have always bragged how *everything* is bigger in
> Texass!!

> Peter Lucas
> Brisbane
> Australia

In the Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine, researchers note that
national obesity statistics typically rely on self-reported weight and
height, which are often wrong.
Those inaccuracies often make people sound lighter or taller than they
actually are, write Majid Ezzati, Ph.D., and colleagues. Ezzati works
at the Harvard School of Public Health.
Self-reported weight and height don't always match reality, so U.S.
obesity statistics are too low, Ezzati's team argues.
The researchers recalculated America's obesity statistics, adjusting
for those errors. The result: The nation's obesity estimates went up.

Corrected Obesity Statistics
Ezzati's team based their corrections on data from two large national
surveys of U.S. adults:
Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS): Given by telephone
National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES): Given in
person, with some participants measured and weighed afterwards
Ezzati and colleagues compared BRFSS and NHANES data for similar years.
They found that people tended to report their height and weight more
accurately in person than over the phone, but that all self-reports
generally missed the mark.

Where Obesity Lives
Ezzati and colleagues identified the states (and Washington, D.C.)
where obesity was most common in 2000, based on the new calculations.
Here are those findings, along with the percentage of obese men or
women in those areas.

Highest prevalence of obese men:

Texas (31 percent)

SOURCES: Ezzati, M. Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine, May 2006;
Vol. 99: pp. 250-257. News release, Harvard School of Public Health.
CDC: "Overweight and Obesity: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)."
By Miranda Hitti, probably from CBSNews, or if not, NYTimes
Reviewed by Louise Chang, M.D.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

:

>>>LOL!!
>>>For all residents across the pond this will help you with us
>>>

>irreverant
>

>>>'Colonials'!!
>>>
>>>http://www.koalanet.com.au/australian-slang.html
>>>

>>Oh ha, ha, very droll! I'm serious - you make olive oil production
>>

>sound
>

>>like some sort of ethnic cottage industry, which is no more the case
>>than it is with wine. I think the local stuff, which varies
>>

>considerably
>

>>in taste between brands, is very good. I wouldn't go out of my way to
>>buy foreign EVO - I have most of a bottle of Colavita which Derrick
>>bought by mistake, and it's too bitter for me. I'm gradually getting
>>

>rid
>

>>of it cooking dishes where it will be buried in other flavours, would
>>never use it in a dressing.
>>
>>I take it that you are of a different opinion and actually prefer
>>imported EVOs.
>>

>Actually, yes. Something about an "ethnic" group that has spent 100's of
>years making a product....
>
>Granted, some of the aussie stuff is getting up there in flavour, but at
>almost twice the cost, why bother?
>
>But, as I've stated quite recently, I have been using Olivado Avocado EV
>Cold Pressed Oil of late.
>
>But that's from NZ. Do you class that as 'local'?

No.

And I don't class it as olive oil, even if the lovely Jamie classes it
as the next "it" food ingredient. Sheesh!

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

Geoff Muldoon wrote:

says...

>>You guys must have a lot of fun Down Under if your national
>>newspaper finds stories of found goldfish worthy of print:
>>
>>http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...-13762,00.html
>>-------
>>Farmer Ab Oskam, 66, was walking his dog when he recognised the
>>fish as one of three belonging to his neighbours Craig and Julie
>>Struthers.
>>
>>They had been swept from their pond by a flash flood in the South
>>Island town of Mosgiel five days earlier.
>>

>>What kind of backwoods, backwards people would recognize a
>>neighbors goldfish and call the national newspaper?? The same
>>people who eat witchety grubs, that who.
>>

>Typical clueless wannabe-know-it-all. Bet you're a Yank.
>
>The cute "human interest" report is about an event in New Zealand.
>Witchety grub eating is an Australian Aboriginal custom.
>
>Different counties. Buy yourself an atlas.

Game, set and match! Of course he's American, the variety that couldn't
find Canada on a map, not that he'd see any reason to try, he's too
cosily ensconced in his own backwoods...

This thread is getting more entertaining by the minute.

Keep it up fellas!

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

Steve Wertz wrote:

>On Thu, 4 May 2006 14:26:47 +1000, Geoff Muldoon wrote:
>

>>Typical clueless wannabe-know-it-all. Bet you're a Yank.
>>

>Apparently you're not following the thread. I'm a Texan. At
>least for the last few years I am.
>

>>The cute "human interest" report is about an event in New Zealand.
>>Witchety grub eating is an Australian Aboriginal custom.
>>

>Same place as far as us dumb Texans are concerned.
>

>>Different counties. Buy yourself an atlas.
>>

>I wasn't commenting on where the event happened, I was
>criticizing the stories fit for print in the Australia media.
>
>Heh. A rescued goldfish in New Zealand making the headlines in
>Australia is an even more pathetic example of Australia's
>priorities. Thank you for stressing that point though, you
>dumbass Aussie.
>
>-sw

Oh for crying out loud! Don't your newspapers (assuming you have them
where you live) have what is often referred to as an "odd spot"? They'll
run a little piece of the "man bites dog" sort that they've picked up
from AFP or somewhere reporting news from all over the world. It was one
of those, you great Texan lummox.

That goldfish story wasn't a headline - if you'd bothered to go to
news.com's home page you would have seen that the headline was the
trapped miners (a gripping drama which probably hasn't reached Texas).
How the story ever got reported in NZ in the first place is a mystery,
and certainly leads to speculation about what is newsworthy in NZ.

Christine