Erika

Default Your favorite simple salad?

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 18:47:12 -0400, FERRANTE
> wrote:

>I was reading an earlier post about a cucumber/red onion salad and it
>got me hungry for any kind of salad.
>
>What is your favorite simple salad to make? Something that does not
>require many ingredients? I like to have green olives with pimento,
>feta cheese, onion, salt, pepper on a bed of fresh greens or spinach,
>and some kind of dressing. Unfortunately I am home, with none of the
>above, and no way to get anything as my car is in the shop.
>
>I do have several kinds of dry pasta, butter, extra-virgin olive oil,
>garlic, and lots of parmesan cheese on hand. Guess what I'm off to
>make??
>
>Mark Ferrante

iceberg lettuce
avocado
diced feta cheese in marinade provencale (olive oil and herbs)
tomatoes

It isn a lovely salad that goes brilliantly with barbeque, bread and
tzaziki.
Mark Shaw

Iceberg lettuce, hearts of palm and fresh mayonaisse.

--
Mark Shaw contact info at homepage --> http://www.panix.com/~mshaw
"I'm very glad we've got... Colin Powell, Don Rumsfeld, Dick Cheney,
Nexis

"FERRANTE" > wrote in message
> I was reading an earlier post about a cucumber/red onion salad and it
> got me hungry for any kind of salad.
>
> What is your favorite simple salad to make? Something that does not
> require many ingredients? I like to have green olives with pimento,
> feta cheese, onion, salt, pepper on a bed of fresh greens or spinach,
> and some kind of dressing. Unfortunately I am home, with none of the
> above, and no way to get anything as my car is in the shop.
>
> I do have several kinds of dry pasta, butter, extra-virgin olive oil,
> garlic, and lots of parmesan cheese on hand. Guess what I'm off to
> make??
>
> Mark Ferrante

Simple salad, eh? My favorite, I s'pose, would be a thickly sliced ripe
beefsteak tomato atop a bed of red & green leaf lettuce, with a really good
vinaigrette.

kimberly

travis

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 17:06:29 -0700, "Nexis" > began
spewing the following from their cake-hole:

>"FERRANTE" > wrote in message
.. .
>> I was reading an earlier post about a cucumber/red onion salad and it
>> got me hungry for any kind of salad.
>>
>> What is your favorite simple salad to make? Something that does not
>> require many ingredients? I like to have green olives with pimento,
>> feta cheese, onion, salt, pepper on a bed of fresh greens or spinach,
>> and some kind of dressing. Unfortunately I am home, with none of the
>> above, and no way to get anything as my car is in the shop.
>>
>> I do have several kinds of dry pasta, butter, extra-virgin olive oil,
>> garlic, and lots of parmesan cheese on hand. Guess what I'm off to
>> make??
>>
>> Mark Ferrante

>Simple salad, eh? My favorite, I s'pose, would be a thickly sliced ripe
>beefsteak tomato atop a bed of red & green leaf lettuce, with a really good
>vinaigrette.
>
>kimberly

I go to Golden Corral at least once a month and they have a really
good (IMO) salad bar. It pretty much satisfies my salad cravings. If
I could make a quick salad at home without any restrictions on
ingredients, I would make my salad like:
1/2 a cucumber
1/2 medium-sized onion sliced in thin, half-circles
1 large tomato, diced
sprinkle some beansprouts on there...uh...
5-6 thin slices of pepperoni...
tablespoon of cottage-cheese on the side
a few sprinkles of shredded cheddar cheese
sliced black olives
fresh mushrooms
cumbled bacon
lots and lots and lots of freshly ground black pepper (I'm addicted)
a tiny bit of ranch dressing, stirred into all of the ingredients
1/2 pound of fried chicken on the side. ;-)

--
Travis
'63 VW Camo Baja...

:wq!
Debbie

"FERRANTE" > wrote in message
> I was reading an earlier post about a cucumber/red onion salad and it
> got me hungry for any kind of salad.
>
> What is your favorite simple salad to make?

Some type of green salad..specific type depends on the day. My hubby didn't
like green salads very much prefering the potato, cole slaw types, but
endive with honey mandarin orange sauce was a favourite of his.

Debbie

lea

Tara wrote:
> Sliced tomatoes, olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. I could live on
> this during the summer. Basil and mozzarella are wonderful additions.

Buffalo mozzerella ... mmmm ( just returned from Italy and ate this as an
appetiser every night

--
Home from Rome

lea

Rick & Cyndi wrote:

> This is one of my favorites... I also love a Spinach Salad with
> Bacon, hard-boiled eggs, red onion slices and a slightly sweet
> vinegrette dressing. OH, and one of my newest favorites is the
> Napa Vegetables that I just had at a Rain Forest Cafe in the
> greater Chicago area... (jicama, carrots, bell peppers, red and
> maybe sweet onion slices with a sweet vinegrette dressing and
> with the slightest hint of cilantro... WOW!)

yum!
( You can put cilantro on almost anything you feed me

--
Home from Rome

Paula Drennan

I like to take left over couscous, and mix it with some chopped fresh mint
and some chopped apples, i like granny smiths, and raisins. It's a sweet
salad, but good.
also, left over couscous with chopped olives, minced garlic, and diced
cooked chicken tossed with a little pesto. yummy!

--
Paula Drennan
In Memory of, Tenzing the Kitty, May 4 - August 1, 2003
: > wrote:
:
: >I was reading an earlier post about a cucumber/red onion salad and it
: >got me hungry for any kind of salad.
: >
: >What is your favorite simple salad to make? Something that does not
: >require many ingredients? I like to have green olives with pimento,
: >feta cheese, onion, salt, pepper on a bed of fresh greens or spinach,
: >and some kind of dressing. Unfortunately I am home, with none of the
: >above, and no way to get anything as my car is in the shop.
: >
: >I do have several kinds of dry pasta, butter, extra-virgin olive oil,
: >garlic, and lots of parmesan cheese on hand. Guess what I'm off to
: >make??
: >

Louise Lewis

red onion, tomato, and fresh mozz..cheese..in italian or olive oil and
vinegar
and pea salad..peas, celery. onion and american cheese in mayo

Dimitri

"FERRANTE" > wrote in message
> I was reading an earlier post about a cucumber/red onion salad and it
> got me hungry for any kind of salad.
>
> What is your favorite simple salad to make?

Dressing

Best Foods Mayonnaise
Heinz Chili Sauce

Maybe a squeeze of lemon Juice

Salad

Large wedge (1/4 head) Iceberg Lettuce.

End..
Dimitri

Charles Gifford

"Dimitri" > wrote in message

> "FERRANTE" > wrote in message
> > I was reading an earlier post about a cucumber/red onion salad and it
> > got me hungry for any kind of salad.
> >
> > What is your favorite simple salad to make?

> Dressing
>
> Best Foods Mayonnaise
> Heinz Chili Sauce
>
> Maybe a squeeze of lemon Juice
>
> Salad
>
> Large wedge (1/4 head) Iceberg Lettuce.
>
> End..
> Dimitri

A very handy recipe Dimitri! Here is another one in the same manner.

Charlie

CURRY ICEBURG WEDGES

Source: unknown

1 medium head iceburg lettuce
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (3 medium)
1 cup mayonnaise
2 tbs. finely chopped onion
2 tsp. curry powder

Core, rinse and drain lettuce thoroughly. Chill in plastic bag. To make
dressing, combine the remaining ingredients in a small bowl. Refrigerate for
30 minutes before serving to develop flavors.

At serving time, cut lettuce in half lengthwise. Then cut each half head
into three wedges. Arrange on salad plates. Serve with curried banana
dressing. Six servings.