Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dinner tonight

Brazilian black beans (the recipe was on the bag of black beans -- the
beans were lovely, the salsa that went with it was just okay); white
rice; plantains fried in butter.

Life is good.

serene, full
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 27 Apr 2006 08:15:21p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Serene?

> Brazilian black beans (the recipe was on the bag of black beans -- the
> beans were lovely, the salsa that went with it was just okay); white
> rice; plantains fried in butter.
>
> Life is good.
>
> serene, full

You're full of it again, huh? Sounds like something very good to be full of.
I love fried plantains!

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Serene > wrote:

> Brazilian black beans (the recipe was on the bag of black beans -- the
> beans were lovely, the salsa that went with it was just okay); white
> rice; plantains fried in butter.
>
> Life is good.
>
> serene, full

Ooo! Please post the recipe for the black beans! I'm looking for ways
to use black beans, as I like them but get bored with chilli and
rice-and-beans.

Miche

--
WWMVD?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Miche > wrote:

> Ooo! Please post the recipe for the black beans! I'm looking for ways
> to use black beans, as I like them but get bored with chilli and
> rice-and-beans.

If you don't mind eating them in something else, I can post the
recipe for the tortilla casserole I made the other night. It was
layered with black beans, roasted poblanos, sliced and sauteed with
onions, sour cream (or crema if you have it), tomatillo salsa and queso
fresco/jack cheese (I used pepper jack because it was already in our
house).

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 22:25:04 +1200, Miche > wrote:

>In article >,
> Serene > wrote:
>
>> Brazilian black beans (the recipe was on the bag of black beans -- the
>> beans were lovely, the salsa that went with it was just okay); white
>> rice; plantains fried in butter.
>>
>> Life is good.
>>
>> serene, full

>Ooo! Please post the recipe for the black beans! I'm looking for ways
>to use black beans, as I like them but get bored with chilli and
>rice-and-beans.

Sure! Let me enter it into MasterCook and I'll post it under a
separate thread. Did you want the salsa, too? It wasn't that great.

serene

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ranee Mueller wrote:
> In article >,
> Miche > wrote:
>
> > Ooo! Please post the recipe for the black beans! I'm looking for ways
> > to use black beans, as I like them but get bored with chilli and
> > rice-and-beans.

> If you don't mind eating them in something else, I can post the
> recipe for the tortilla casserole I made the other night. It was
> layered with black beans, roasted poblanos, sliced and sauteed with
> onions, sour cream (or crema if you have it), tomatillo salsa and queso
> fresco/jack cheese (I used pepper jack because it was already in our
> house).

Ranee, please do. That sounds delicious!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"Jude" > wrote:

> Ranee Mueller wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Miche > wrote:
> >
> > > Ooo! Please post the recipe for the black beans! I'm looking for ways
> > > to use black beans, as I like them but get bored with chilli and
> > > rice-and-beans.

> > If you don't mind eating them in something else, I can post the
> > recipe for the tortilla casserole I made the other night. It was
> > layered with black beans, roasted poblanos, sliced and sauteed with
> > onions, sour cream (or crema if you have it), tomatillo salsa and queso
> > fresco/jack cheese (I used pepper jack because it was already in our
> > house).

> Ranee, please do. That sounds delicious!

Here it is from my blog:

http://talesfromthekitchen.blogspot....casserole.html

Tortilla Casserole

Wednesday we had this tortilla casserole, based on something I saw in
Martha Stewart Living. I changed a couple things, based on what we had
at home already, and ease of preparation.

I left out the spinach, didn't precook the tortillas in oil, used more
poblanos than the recipe said and would make half the tomatillo salsa in
the future, even with serving some with the torta, we have tons left.

6 fresh poblanos (recipe called for 4)
18 corn tortillas, cut in half
Sunflower seed oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 small onion, thinly sliced (I used sweet onion)
6 cloves garlic, minced (they said 4)
2 cans black beans, drained (you could easily use two or three cups of
cooked black beans)
1 cup crema (we didn't have any, but did have sour cream, so I used that)
2 1/4 cups tomatillo salsa plus more for serving
1 1/2 cups grated queso fresco, Monterey Jack or a combination (I used
the pepper jack we had in the fridge, I think it would be best with the
queso on the inside layers and the jack on top to melt nicely)

Roast chiles over open flame, or under broiler on baking sheet, about
seven minutes a side, until blackened and blistered. Put in a paper bag
to steam about 15 minutes.

Peel chiles, remove seeds and stems and slice into about 1/2" wide
strips.

Preheat oven to 400 F.

Heat two tablespoons oil large skillet over medium heat, add onion and
1/2 teaspoon salt, cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent. Stir
in chiles and cook to heat, about a minute. Transfer to a bowl.

Heat two tablespoons oil in same skillet, add garlic and cook stirring
about 30 seconds. Add beans and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook, mashing the
beans a bit with your spoon. Set aside.

Line the bottom of a large round casserole, about three inches deep,
with 12 tortilla halves, overlapping slightly. Layer with half of chile
mixture, half bean mixture, and half the crema. Spread 3/4 cup salsa
over top. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese. Repeat for second layer. Top
with remaining tortillas, 3/4 cup salsa and 1/2 cup cheese.

Bake until heated through, about 30 minutes. Let stand for 15 minutes
before serving. Serve with more salsa and crema.

Tomatillo Salsa (half the original recipe)

1 tablespoon sunflower seed oil
1 small onion, diced (again used a sweet onion)
3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
1 pound tomatillos, husked and washed
1/2 cup water
1 fresh serrano, stemmed
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped (or just torn up, like I
did)
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Heat oil in a medium saucepan, over medium heat. Add onion and garlic,
cook about a minute, stirring occasionally. Stir in tomatillos, water,
and serrano. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer. Cover and cook, stirring
occasionally, until tomatillos have softened, about 15 minutes. Let cool
slightly.

Working in batches (that's from the original, you could probably do the
whole mess in one shot with half the recipe), puree tomatillo mixture in
blender or food processor. Add cilantro and salt. Pulse to combine.
Salsa can be made ahead of time and refrigerated for up to three days
(probably more).

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ranee Mueller wrote:
> In article .com>,
>
> Here it is from my blog:
>
> http://talesfromthekitchen.blogspot....casserole.html
>
> Tortilla Casserole

Thanks...this sounds delicious! Probably for next week.....just did the
shopping today and we don't have tomatillos, among other things, but
this one sounds like a winner!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ranee Mueller wrote:
> In article .com>,
>
> Here it is from my blog:
>
> http://talesfromthekitchen.blogspot....casserole.html
>
> Tortilla Casserole

So was the spinahc just layered in, or was it lightly sauteed first? We
love spinach.

Thanksagain!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article om>,
"Jude" > wrote:

> So was the spinahc just layered in, or was it lightly sauteed first? We
> love spinach.

I left out the spinach, because ours looked sad. I just forgot to
leave it out of the recipe, I think. The recipe originally had you
saute it lightly and used the poblano mix for one layer and the spinach
for another.