Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Black Spots in Bacon (Is it Safe?)

My wife and I bought a package of bacon from the supermarket, and when
we opened the package, the ends of the bacon (in part of the fat) had
black spots/lines going through it. Does anyone know what this could
be? We removed (generously) the parts with the spots, and started
cooking the rest (we haven't eaten it, though). Does anyone know what
these spots could be?

You can e-mail me at if you know. Your help
would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if there are any questions to clarify matters, I will be glad to
answer them. Thanks.

-Jacob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> wrote:
>> Does anyone know what
>> these spots could be?

> Vegetable dye from the USDA inspection stamp?

I see that on my lamb all the time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> Does anyone know what
> these spots could be?

Vegetable dye from the USDA inspection stamp?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> My wife and I bought a package of bacon from the supermarket, and when
> we opened the package, the ends of the bacon (in part of the fat) had
> black spots/lines going through it. Does anyone know what this could
> be? We removed (generously) the parts with the spots, and started
> cooking the rest (we haven't eaten it, though). Does anyone know what
> these spots could be?
>
> You can e-mail me at if you know. Your help
> would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Also, if there are any questions to clarify matters, I will be glad to
> answer them. Thanks.
>
> -Jacob

According to Long John Silver the Black Spot is most hazardous.

David