Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Kosher salt in Kyoto or Osaka?

So, I've recently moved to Japan, and while I brought most of the
spices and seasonings I like to use, I neglected me salt because.. I
figured it'd be no problem to find a box of Morton (or its equivalent).
This is.. a false thing, and it has lead me into despair.

Anyone know somewhere in Kyoto or Osaka - some kind of international
grocery, I'd assume - that might carry some good ol' kosher salt? Best
lead I had was Meidi-ya in Kyoto, around Kawaramachisanjo, but that
didn't pan out. And my google-fu has been no help either, alas.

'ppreciate it!

--Michael

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> So, I've recently moved to Japan, and while I brought most of the
> spices and seasonings I like to use, I neglected me salt because.. I
> figured it'd be no problem to find a box of Morton (or its equivalent).
> This is.. a false thing, and it has lead me into despair.
>
> Anyone know somewhere in Kyoto or Osaka - some kind of international
> grocery, I'd assume - that might carry some good ol' kosher salt? Best
> lead I had was Meidi-ya in Kyoto, around Kawaramachisanjo, but that
> didn't pan out. And my google-fu has been no help either, alas.
>
> 'ppreciate it!
>
> --Michael

Have you looked for Sea Salt? If you're looking solely for taste, I think
Sea Salt
is more interesting than Kosher. Maybe just a bit different.
Don't ask me to explain that.
Good Luck
Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kent wrote:
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > So, I've recently moved to Japan, and while I brought most of the
> > spices and seasonings I like to use, I neglected me salt because.. I
> > figured it'd be no problem to find a box of Morton (or its equivalent).
> > This is.. a false thing, and it has lead me into despair.
> >
> > Anyone know somewhere in Kyoto or Osaka - some kind of international
> > grocery, I'd assume - that might carry some good ol' kosher salt? Best
> > lead I had was Meidi-ya in Kyoto, around Kawaramachisanjo, but that
> > didn't pan out. And my google-fu has been no help either, alas.
> >
> > 'ppreciate it!
> >
> > --Michael

> Have you looked for Sea Salt? If you're looking solely for taste, I think
> Sea Salt
> is more interesting than Kosher. Maybe just a bit different.
> Don't ask me to explain that.

Nothing to explain, sea salt is a condiment, a little is sprinkled on a
finished dish, it shouldn't be used for cooking. Cooks use kosher salt
for cooking because it's easier to handle than table salt... otherwise
except for grain size/shape kosher salt and table salt are exactly the
same. Sea salt contains significant impurities, those with health
issues and on prescription drugs, pregnant/nursing should speak to
their medical care professional.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote:

> Anyone know somewhere in Kyoto or Osaka - some kind of international
> grocery, I'd assume - that might carry some good ol' kosher salt?

Do you require salt specifically labelled "kosher", or would any coarse
salt do? That is what "kosher" salt is - relatively large flakes of
salt. Is coarse salt available in Japan?

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> > Sqwertz wrote:

> >> Japan doesn't have any salt mines, and the only usable salt is
> >> from the sea. I suspect that kosher salt isn't worth shipping to
> >> Japan since they have plenty of sea salt available.

> > Matters not whether Japan has no salt mines (I won't even botrher to
> > check). Not all salt is mined...

> Kosher salt

Actually it's usually not mined, kosher salt is more often solar salt,
evaporated and purified sea water, but it could be mined too... but
mined salt is first converted back to sea water anyway buy making it
into a slurry, and then the impurities are precipitated out, same as
all table salt. ALL salt is sea salt, Sqwertz ignoranus! All salt
mines were once huge bodies of saline water that eons ago dried up.

> > and many parts of the world need to
> > import salt.... even in the US salt is shipped great distances, no
> > biggie to ship salt. And in fact all salt is sea salt...

> But not all salt comes from the sea. Most US salt is mined.
> Including kosher salt.

Mined salt IS sea salt, Sqwertz ignorANUS... ALL salt comes from seas.

Japan probably gets its salt by evaporation of sea water, but it's
purified, it's not raw "sea salt". Salt labeled "sea salt" is raw
salt, unprocessed salt, its not refined.

Yep, Japan evaporates sea water, same as many nations, even the US uses
this system in part.
http://www.jti.co.jp/Culture/museum/...alt/index.html

You're truly mentally retarded, Sqwertz... mammals don't come with
lower IQs than yours... any one of my cats possess triple your IQ, two
in particular possess an IQ at least six times higher than yours... and
they're all way more literate than you.

Sqwertz's IQ is threatened by that of a stalk of celery... a kohlrabi
possesses more functioning brain cells than a Sqwertz.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> wrote:
> >
> > Anyone know somewhere in Kyoto or Osaka - some kind of international
> > grocery, I'd assume - that might carry some good ol' kosher salt? Best
> > lead I had was Meidi-ya in Kyoto, around Kawaramachisanjo, but that
> > didn't pan out. And my google-fu has been no help either, alas.

> If nothing else works, you might call the
> Israeli embassy in Tokyo. I'm sure someone
> there would know if it was available locally.
>
> Is there even one synagogue in Japan?

There are synagogues in japan but most do not appear to have any Jewish
people left in the community. Because the japanese were partners with
nazi germany, this put the Jewish in a precarious situation. Most left
for China or other lands. Any other place. Even to this day, there is a
great deal of anti-Jewish literature there, which is surprising since
there are not any Jewish people left - a few hundred?

But I found one synagogue in Tokyo. The information is coming from the
Israeli embassy, which you had originally suggested for contact:

http://www.amyisrael.co.il/asia/japan/

TOKYO There are 160 Jewish family members of the Jewish Community. of
Japan.
Jewish Community Center, 8-8 Hiroo, 3-Chome, Shibuya-ku, 150. Tel:
3400-2559 Fax (03) 3400-1827. Pres.: E. Salomon.
Synagogue: Beth David Syn. is in the Com. Centre premises. Services
held Fri. evg., 6.30 p.m. (7.00 summer); Shabbat morn., 9.30 a.m.,
and on Holy-days & festivals. Rabbi James Lebeau.
Kosher: Kosher meals availlable in the Community Centre premises,
Advance notification requested. [I guess this is the place for kosher
salt?]
Israel Embassy, 3 Niban-cho Chiyodaku. Tel: 3264-0311.

What Exactly is 'Kosher Salt' ?, As Opposed to Normal Salt?... Bigbazza[_20_] General Cooking 109 09-05-2009 01:32 AM
Hopefully last word on Kosher Salt (difference between Sea Salt and Kosher) [email protected] General Cooking 17 05-05-2009 12:51 PM
Kosher Salt General Cooking 42 21-02-2005 07:20 PM
Kosher salt? David Hare-Scott General Cooking 19 09-03-2004 07:47 AM
Kosher Salt vs. Table Salt Rubystars General Cooking 32 22-10-2003 11:00 PM