FoodBanter.com

-   -   Best Beef cut for Burger (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/89400-re-best-beef-cut.html)

Jimmy 22-04-2006 03:05 PM

Best Beef cut for Burger

What is the best beef cut to make a good hamburger. I usually buy
ground sirloin but was thinking of grinding my own; thereby ensuring
freshness and flavour etc.

jay 22-04-2006 03:57 PM

Best Beef cut for Burger

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 07:05:33 -0700, Jimmy wrote:

> What is the best beef cut to make a good hamburger. I usually buy
> ground sirloin but was thinking of grinding my own; thereby ensuring
> freshness and flavour etc.

I think chuck has great flavor and is priced nicely. Works great for
chili also. Definately grind your own.

Andy[_2_] 22-04-2006 04:08 PM

Best Beef cut for Burger

"Jimmy" > wrote in news:1145714733.934617.150630
@t31g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> What is the best beef cut to make a good hamburger. I usually buy
> ground sirloin but was thinking of grinding my own; thereby ensuring
> freshness and flavour etc.

Chuck, shoulder or front rib are good cuts to grind. Also if you have the
bucks, rib-eye makes a very tasty burger too!

Andy

Peter A 22-04-2006 06:10 PM

Best Beef cut for Burger

In article >,
says...
> > What is the best beef cut to make a good hamburger. I usually buy
> > ground sirloin but was thinking of grinding my own; thereby ensuring
> > freshness and flavour etc.

> I think chuck has great flavor and is priced nicely. Works great for
> chili also. Definately grind your own.

I agree - chuck is best. It is silly to buy expensive cuts for
hamburger. They are expensive because they are tender, and that is not
relevant when the meat is ground.

--
Peter Aitken
Visit my recipe and kitchen myths pages at

OmManiPadmiOmelet 22-04-2006 08:14 PM

Best Beef cut for Burger

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On 22 Apr 2006 07:05:33 -0700, Jimmy wrote:
>

>>What is the best beef cut to make a good hamburger. I usually buy
>>ground sirloin but was thinking of grinding my own; thereby ensuring
>>freshness and flavour etc.

> Ribeye, of course.
>
> -sw

Waste of ribeye...

If you have to grind ribeye to eat it, you need a new set of dentures. ;-)

jay 22-04-2006 09:36 PM

Best Beef cut for Burger

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 14:14:29 -0500, OmManiPadmiOmelet wrote:

> Steve Wertz wrote:
>
>> On 22 Apr 2006 07:05:33 -0700, Jimmy wrote:
>>

>>>What is the best beef cut to make a good hamburger. I usually buy
>>>ground sirloin but was thinking of grinding my own; thereby ensuring
>>>freshness and flavour etc.

>> Ribeye, of course.
>>
>> -sw

> Waste of ribeye...
>
> If you have to grind ribeye to eat it, you need a new set of dentures. ;-)

LOL!

Sheldon 22-04-2006 09:42 PM

Best Beef cut for Burger

OmManiPadmiOmelet wrote:
> Steve Wertz wrote:
>
> > On 22 Apr 2006 07:05:33 -0700, Jimmy wrote:
> >

> >>What is the best beef cut to make a good hamburger. I usually buy
> >>ground sirloin but was thinking of grinding my own; thereby ensuring
> >>freshness and flavour etc.

> > Ribeye, of course.
> >
> > -sw

> Waste of ribeye...
>
> If you have to grind ribeye to eat it, you need a new set of dentures. ;-)

Besides being too tender (makes mushy burgers) ribeye is the most
mildly flavored beef cut... it's the choice of those who really don't
like the flavor of beef... the same folks who typically only eat the
breast portion of fowl.... the better portion for burgers is the meat
that's trimmed away to make the ribeye. But better is a mix of chuck
and top round... sirloin is good too.

Sheldon

OmManiPadmiOmelet 22-04-2006 09:44 PM

Best Beef cut for Burger

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 14:14:29 -0500, OmManiPadmiOmelet wrote:
>

>>Steve Wertz wrote:

>>>Ribeye, of course.

>>Waste of ribeye...

> Not at all.
>

>>If you have to grind ribeye to eat it, you need a new set of dentures. ;-)

> The OP asked what cut made the best hamburger. Ribeye is the
> most appropriate answer. It also makes the best chicken fried
> steak.
>
> -sw

Geez Steve!

That's like serving caviar with chicharones!

Chuck roast makes perfectly good and flavorful ground beef, AND CF steak.

Seriously, if you are going to grind your own, I dare you to try a
brisket sometime. It's fabulous that way.

OmManiPadmiOmelet 22-04-2006 09:48 PM

Best Beef cut for Burger

Sheldon wrote:

> OmManiPadmiOmelet wrote:
>
>>Steve Wertz wrote:

>>>Ribeye, of course.
>>>
>>>-sw

>>Waste of ribeye...
>>
>>If you have to grind ribeye to eat it, you need a new set of dentures. ;-)

> Besides being too tender (makes mushy burgers) ribeye is the most
> mildly flavored beef cut... it's the choice of those who really don't
> like the flavor of beef... the same folks who typically only eat the
> breast portion of fowl.... the better portion for burgers is the meat
> that's trimmed away to make the ribeye. But better is a mix of chuck
> and top round... sirloin is good too.
>
> Sheldon

Sirloin or chuck would be my personal choice.

I prefer top round cubed and served raw. ;-d

And I'm not kidding......... I's great for the serum iron levels. <G>

Peter A 22-04-2006 10:01 PM

Best Beef cut for Burger

In article >,
ost says...
> > Waste of ribeye...

> Not at all.
>
> > If you have to grind ribeye to eat it, you need a new set of dentures. ;-)

> The OP asked what cut made the best hamburger. Ribeye is the
> most appropriate answer. It also makes the best chicken fried
> steak.

Ribeye is prized and expensive because it combines flavor with
tenderness. Chuck is less expensive because it is not as tender although
it has equal if not better flavor. When you grind the meat the
tenderness advantage of ribeye goes away. So using ribeye for burgers
results in no better results - and possibly inferior - at much greater
cost. Hence "waste of ribeye." It's a step on the way to the morons who
grind wagyu (aka Kobe) beef for burgers.

Food Snob 22-04-2006 10:20 PM

Best Beef cut for Burger

Peter A wrote:
> In article >,
> says...
> > > What is the best beef cut to make a good hamburger. I usually buy
> > > ground sirloin but was thinking of grinding my own; thereby ensuring
> > > freshness and flavour etc.

> > I think chuck has great flavor and is priced nicely. Works great for
> > chili also. Definately grind your own.
> >

> I agree - chuck is best. It is silly to buy expensive cuts for
> hamburger. They are expensive because they are tender, and that is not
> relevant when the meat is ground.

That is absolutely not true. Different parts of the cow taste
different. In a Porterhouse you get two distinctly different flavors,
tenderloin and strip.

If I could afford it, I'd use striploin for ground beef. As it is, I'd
recommend round.

> --
> Peter Aitken

--Bryan

Food Snob 22-04-2006 10:30 PM

Best Beef cut for Burger

Peter A wrote:
> In article >,
> ost says...
> > > Waste of ribeye...

> > Not at all.
> >
> > > If you have to grind ribeye to eat it, you need a new set of dentures. ;-)

> > The OP asked what cut made the best hamburger. Ribeye is the
> > most appropriate answer. It also makes the best chicken fried
> > steak.
> >

> Ribeye is prized and expensive because it combines flavor with
> tenderness. Chuck is less expensive because it is not as tender although
> it has equal if not better flavor.

A few hours ago you seemed to suggest that different cuts did not
differ in flavor, but merely in tenderness. You wrote, " It is silly
to buy expensive cuts for
hamburger. They are expensive because they are tender, and that is not
relevant when the meat is ground." So, if chuck potentially has a
"better flavor" then what's illegitimate about using strip steak,
because I think that it is the best tasting cut of beef?

> When you grind the meat the
> tenderness advantage of ribeye goes away. So using ribeye for burgers
> results in no better results - and possibly inferior - at much greater
> cost. Hence "waste of ribeye." It's a step on the way to the morons who
> grind wagyu (aka Kobe) beef for burgers.

Chuck has a different flavor than loin, and ribeye still another.

> --
> Peter Aitken

--Bryan

jay 22-04-2006 10:32 PM

Best Beef cut for Burger

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 15:58:20 -0500, Steve Wertz wrote:

> On 22 Apr 2006 13:42:07 -0700, Sheldon wrote:
>
>> OmManiPadmiOmelet wrote:

>>> Waste of ribeye...
>>>
>>> If you have to grind ribeye to eat it, you need a new set of dentures. ;-)

>> Besides being too tender (makes mushy burgers) ribeye is the most
>> mildly flavored beef cut... it's the choice of those who really don't
>> like the flavor of beef...

> We've heard your ribeye spiel before, and you're just as much
> full of shit back then as you are now.
>
> -sw

Ribeye is no doubt a very "soft to the bite" cut. That is why I always
order or buy NY Strip choice or prime. I don't like the "softness" of the
ribeye as well as the more "al dente" (for lack of a better discription)
NY strip.

To me the flavor of the ribeye is not a "hearty" as the NY Strip or chuck
for that matter. If you want to just be fashionable in an obscene sorta
way grind some tenderloin.

Food Snob 22-04-2006 10:37 PM

Best Beef cut for Burger

Sheldon wrote:
> OmManiPadmiOmelet wrote:
> > Steve Wertz wrote:

> > > Ribeye, of course.
> > >
> > > -sw

> > Waste of ribeye...
> >
> > If you have to grind ribeye to eat it, you need a new set of dentures. ;-)

> Besides being too tender (makes mushy burgers) ribeye is the most
> mildly flavored beef cut... it's the choice of those who really don't
> like the flavor of beef... the same folks who typically only eat the
> breast portion of fowl....

I'm not crazy about the flavor of ribeye either, nor any other cut from
the front of the cow.

> the better portion for burgers is the meat
> that's trimmed away to make the ribeye. But better is a mix of chuck
> and top round... sirloin is good too.
>
> Sheldon

--Bryan

jay 22-04-2006 10:39 PM

Best Beef cut for Burger

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 21:01:10 +0000, Peter A wrote:

> In article >,
> It's a step on the way to the morons who
> grind wagyu (aka Kobe) beef for burgers.

Wagyu has as many grindables as angus or most any cattle. In fact the
local wagyu guy packages and markets ground wagyu. However, he is not
grinding the rib eye and it is priced accordingly which does equals MORE
than chuck. I have eaten it and chuck is just as just as good.

Food Snob 22-04-2006 10:39 PM

Best Beef cut for Burger

jay wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 15:58:20 -0500, Steve Wertz wrote:

> >> Besides being too tender (makes mushy burgers) ribeye is the most
> >> mildly flavored beef cut... it's the choice of those who really don't
> >> like the flavor of beef...

> > We've heard your ribeye spiel before, and you're just as much
> > full of shit back then as you are now.

I think he's at least halfway to right.

> > -sw

> Ribeye is no doubt a very "soft to the bite" cut. That is why I always
> order or buy NY Strip choice or prime. I don't like the "softness" of the
> ribeye as well as the more "al dente" (for lack of a better discription)
> NY strip.

Nothing tastes as good as a NY strip.

> To me the flavor of the ribeye is not a "hearty" as the NY Strip or chuck
> for that matter. If you want to just be fashionable in an obscene sorta
> way grind some tenderloin.

Tenderloin is not as flavorful as strip.

--Bryan

Sheldon 22-04-2006 11:01 PM

Best Beef cut for Burger

Sqwertz wrote:

> We've heard your ribeye spiel before, and you're just as much
> full of shit back then as you are now.

And the truth still perturbs the shit out of you now as it did then.

Beef ribeye, lamb ribeye, veal ribeye, and pork ribeye is what the well
heeled feed pated to their infants because those are virtually
flavorless... those are the training wheels of dining.

Sqwertz, you ain't one of the fingers either... well, okay... you're
one of my **** finger's favorites! <G>

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . .

Sheldon

Peter A 22-04-2006 11:26 PM

Best Beef cut for Burger

In article .com>,
says...
> > I agree - chuck is best. It is silly to buy expensive cuts for
> > hamburger. They are expensive because they are tender, and that is not
> > relevant when the meat is ground.

> That is absolutely not true.

It absolutely is true. Sheesh, it is so obvious.

> Different parts of the cow taste different.

Quite true, but is has long been known that tenderness is inversely
related to flavor. The most flavorful parts of the steers, the cheeks
and the tail, and very tough, while the fillet is rather bland.

> In a Porterhouse you get two distinctly different flavors,
> tenderloin and strip.

And...?

> If I could afford it, I'd use striploin for ground beef. As it is, I'd
> recommend round.

Round is certainly an excellent choice, second only to chuck IMHO.

OmManiPadmiOmelet 23-04-2006 09:56 AM

Best Beef cut for Burger

Peter A wrote:

> In article .com>,
> says...
>
>>>I agree - chuck is best. It is silly to buy expensive cuts for
>>>hamburger. They are expensive because they are tender, and that is not
>>>relevant when the meat is ground.

>>That is absolutely not true.

> It absolutely is true. Sheesh, it is so obvious.
>

>>Different parts of the cow taste different.

> Quite true, but is has long been known that tenderness is inversely
> related to flavor. The most flavorful parts of the steers, the cheeks
> and the tail, and very tough, while the fillet is rather bland.
>

>> In a Porterhouse you get two distinctly different flavors,
>>tenderloin and strip.

> And...?
>

>>If I could afford it, I'd use striploin for ground beef. As it is, I'd
>>recommend round.
>>

> Round is certainly an excellent choice, second only to chuck IMHO.

Wouldn't you know that hamburgers would cause such a lively debate?
<lol> Round to me is a bit lean. It'd be my third choice. Chuck being
#1, sirlioin in second place.

I still don't understand why sw would grind rib-eye! I agree that while
more tender, it does not have as much flavor as the others. The only cut
with even less flavor are t-bones.

I eat top or bottom round raw. Ultimate flavor. ;-d
Steak tartar in 1/2" cubes or smaller. I'll marinate it in just a little
soy sauce and nothing else, but might serve raw egg yolk on the side as
a dip depending on my mood.

Andy[_2_] 23-04-2006 12:50 PM

Best Beef cut for Burger

OmManiPadmiOmelet > wrote in news:124mga1t5hg7bc6
@corp.supernews.com:

> I still don't understand why sw would grind rib-eye! I agree that while
> more tender, it does not have as much flavor as the others. The only cut
> with even less flavor are t-bones.

Funny you should mention it but Philly cheesesteaks are either ribeye or
top round.

Not your Mom's hamburger but ribeye makes a darn tasty cheesesteak as well,
with fried onions and processed american cheese (or cheez-wiz).

You'll never find a chuck cheesesteak. I'll steak my job on it!

For anyone who cares,

Andy

jay 23-04-2006 01:05 PM

Best Beef cut for Burger

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 03:56:35 -0500, OmManiPadmiOmelet wrote:

> The only cut with even less flavor are t-bones.

Are you kidding?.. tenderloin and strip both plus bone.

Phred 23-04-2006 02:26 PM

Best Beef cut for Burger

In article .com>, "Jimmy" > wrote:
>What is the best beef cut to make a good hamburger. I usually buy
>ground sirloin but was thinking of grinding my own; thereby ensuring
>freshness and flavour etc.

The best meat for a hamburger is a slab of high quality ("MSA" here in
Oz) properly aged rump steak. Tender and delicious!

But maybe not strictly a "hamburger"? In the Oz retail trade it's a
"steakburger". Dunno about you folk over the pond.

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

OmManiPadmiOmelet 23-04-2006 04:12 PM

Best Beef cut for Burger

Andy wrote:

> OmManiPadmiOmelet > wrote in news:124mga1t5hg7bc6
> @corp.supernews.com:
>

>>I still don't understand why sw would grind rib-eye! I agree that while
>>more tender, it does not have as much flavor as the others. The only cut
>> with even less flavor are t-bones.

> Funny you should mention it but Philly cheesesteaks are either ribeye or
> top round.
>
> Not your Mom's hamburger but ribeye makes a darn tasty cheesesteak as well,
> with fried onions and processed american cheese (or cheez-wiz).
>
> You'll never find a chuck cheesesteak. I'll steak my job on it!
>
> For anyone who cares,
>
> Andy

Well, I'm always up to an education..... ;-)

If you think about it, cheesesteaks (ime) are not made from ground beef.
For a good steak sandwich, you HAVE to use a tender steak or you will
pull the whole chunk of meat out of the sandwich when you take the first
bite.

Your teeth are not knife sharp.

Unless you are a Ferengi. <G>

Om

OmManiPadmiOmelet 23-04-2006 04:15 PM

Best Beef cut for Burger

jay wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 03:56:35 -0500, OmManiPadmiOmelet wrote:
>

>>The only cut with even less flavor are t-bones.

> Are you kidding?.. tenderloin and strip both plus bone.

No, I'm not.
While I do like T-bones, I've found them to have a lot less flavor than
rib eyes or even chuck steaks.

Your mileage may vary..... ;-)

Om

Wayne Boatwright[_1_] 23-04-2006 05:00 PM

Best Beef cut for Burger

On Sun 23 Apr 2006 08:12:40a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
OmManiPadmiOmelet?

> Andy wrote:
>
>> OmManiPadmiOmelet > wrote in news:124mga1t5hg7bc6
>> @corp.supernews.com:
>>

>>>I still don't understand why sw would grind rib-eye! I agree that while
>>>more tender, it does not have as much flavor as the others. The only
>>>cut with even less flavor are t-bones.

>> Funny you should mention it but Philly cheesesteaks are either ribeye
>> or top round.
>>
>> Not your Mom's hamburger but ribeye makes a darn tasty cheesesteak as
>> well, with fried onions and processed american cheese (or cheez-wiz).
>>
>> You'll never find a chuck cheesesteak. I'll steak my job on it!
>>
>> For anyone who cares,
>>
>> Andy

> Well, I'm always up to an education..... ;-)
>
> If you think about it, cheesesteaks (ime) are not made from ground beef.
> For a good steak sandwich, you HAVE to use a tender steak or you will
> pull the whole chunk of meat out of the sandwich when you take the first
> bite.
>
> Your teeth are not knife sharp.
>
> Unless you are a Ferengi. <G>

LOL! If the steak is sliced thinly (which it usually is for a cheesesteak
sandwich), it doesn't have to be the most tender cut of meat to be easily
eaten.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________

Peter A 23-04-2006 05:01 PM

Best Beef cut for Burger

In article . com>,
says...
> > Ribeye is prized and expensive because it combines flavor with
> > tenderness. Chuck is less expensive because it is not as tender although
> > it has equal if not better flavor.

> A few hours ago you seemed to suggest that different cuts did not
> differ in flavor, but merely in tenderness.

You made an erroneous inference. I neither said nor believe any such
silly thing.

> So, if chuck potentially has a
> "better flavor" then what's illegitimate about using strip steak,
> because I think that it is the best tasting cut of beef?

I never said it was illegitimate. I did say it was a waste of money for
most people to spend more on a cut that gives a result that they will
find inferior or at best equal in flavor to chuck.

Peter A 23-04-2006 05:02 PM

Best Beef cut for Burger

In article >,
says...
> > In article >,
> > It's a step on the way to the morons who
> > grind wagyu (aka Kobe) beef for burgers.

> Wagyu has as many grindables as angus or most any cattle. In fact the
> local wagyu guy packages and markets ground wagyu. However, he is not
> grinding the rib eye and it is priced accordingly which does equals MORE
> than chuck. I have eaten it and chuck is just as just as good.

You are quite right. I should have said "fancy cuts of wagyu" which is
what some restaurants and people make a silly fuss about grinding for
burgers.

Peter A 23-04-2006 05:05 PM

Best Beef cut for Burger

In article >,
ost says...
> > Ribeye is prized and expensive because it combines flavor with
> > tenderness. Chuck is less expensive because it is not as tender although
> > it has equal if not better flavor. When you grind the meat the
> > tenderness advantage of ribeye goes away. So using ribeye for burgers
> > results in no better results - and possibly inferior - at much greater
> > cost. Hence "waste of ribeye." It's a step on the way to the morons who
> > grind wagyu (aka Kobe) beef for burgers.

> Make a hamburger out of ribeye and then get back to me.

Why? If I do and report it as being inferior you will just tell me that
I didn't make it right.

jay 23-04-2006 05:41 PM

Best Beef cut for Burger

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 10:15:41 -0500, OmManiPadmiOmelet wrote:

> jay wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 03:56:35 -0500, OmManiPadmiOmelet wrote:
>>

>>>The only cut with even less flavor are t-bones.

>> Are you kidding?.. tenderloin and strip both plus bone.
>>

> No, I'm not.
> While I do like T-bones, I've found them to have a lot less flavor than
> rib eyes or even chuck steaks.
>
> Your mileage may vary..... ;-)
>
> Om

Sure, we all experience the eating thing differently. I really believe
that in the better cuts of prime beef in a blind tasting you would know
more from the texture than you would from a flavor differential in
attempting to identify the cut.

yep..even my own milege varies.. ;)

OmManiPadmiOmelet 23-04-2006 06:36 PM

Best Beef cut for Burger

:

>>>Funny you should mention it but Philly cheesesteaks are either ribeye
>>>or top round.
>>>
>>>Not your Mom's hamburger but ribeye makes a darn tasty cheesesteak as
>>>well, with fried onions and processed american cheese (or cheez-wiz).
>>>
>>>You'll never find a chuck cheesesteak. I'll steak my job on it!
>>>
>>>For anyone who cares,
>>>
>>>Andy

>>Well, I'm always up to an education..... ;-)
>>
>>If you think about it, cheesesteaks (ime) are not made from ground beef.
>>For a good steak sandwich, you HAVE to use a tender steak or you will
>>pull the whole chunk of meat out of the sandwich when you take the first
>>bite.
>>
>>Your teeth are not knife sharp.
>>
>>Unless you are a Ferengi. <G>

> LOL! If the steak is sliced thinly (which it usually is for a cheesesteak
> sandwich), it doesn't have to be the most tender cut of meat to be easily
> eaten.

Granted, but it does make it more pleasant. ;-)

I probably wound not hesitate (and have not) to use rib eye in a steak
sammich.

OmManiPadmiOmelet 23-04-2006 07:00 PM

Best Beef cut for Burger

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 03:56:35 -0500, OmManiPadmiOmelet wrote:
>

>>I still don't understand why sw would grind rib-eye! I agree that while
>>more tender, it does not have as much flavor as the others. The only cut
>> with even less flavor are t-bones.

> Different stroked for different folks. It's like arguing who has
> the best fast-food hamburger, and why. If you think t-bone
> doesn't have any flavor, then, well....
>
> -sw

I never said it did not have ANY flavor, I said it had LESS flavor. :-)

Might just be the differenc between HEB beef and City Market beef. <shrugs>

Peter A 23-04-2006 07:38 PM

Best Beef cut for Burger

In article >,
ost says...
> Uh, no. I would have respected your personal opinion.
>
> Judging from your childish post, you have already found it
> inferior without even trying it. And if you were to try it and
> like it, you wouldn't admit that here just out of spite.

In the same breath you say you would respect my personal opinion and
also say that my opinion would be due to spite.

Oh, I get it - you would respect my opinion only if it agrees with
yours.

You're not part of the Bush administration by any chance?

PeterL[_2_] 23-04-2006 11:57 PM

Best Beef cut for Burger

(Phred) wrote in
:

> In article .com>,
> "Jimmy" > wrote:
>>What is the best beef cut to make a good hamburger. I usually buy
>>ground sirloin but was thinking of grinding my own; thereby ensuring
>>freshness and flavour etc.

> The best meat for a hamburger is a slab of high quality ("MSA" here in
> Oz) properly aged rump steak. Tender and delicious!
>
> But maybe not strictly a "hamburger"? In the Oz retail trade it's a
> "steakburger". Dunno about you folk over the pond.

I made Chilli Con Carne (it's getting cool up here!!)last night with home
ground rump (Big Gun Butcher, whole rumps $4.99kg..... and bloody tender
too!!).

Will be doing some 'burgers soon.

Peter A 24-04-2006 12:22 AM

Best Beef cut for Burger

In article >,
ost says...
> > In the same breath you say you would respect my personal opinion and
> > also say that my opinion would be due to spite.

> Yes - as perfectly demonstrated by your snotty, childish post.
> It looks good on you. Wear it.

There's nothing snotty or childish about my post. You can't defend your
opinion with facts or logic so you call me names. Guess what - anyone
with a modest intelligence can see right thru that.

I am finished with this thread.

Bill-NWG 24-04-2006 02:26 AM

Best Beef cut for Burger

I'd have to also agree on the Chuck for ground (but at least 80% lean- don't
think Chuck comes less lean)

Jimmy 24-04-2006 02:51 PM

Best Beef cut for Burger

>I think chuck has great flavor and is priced nicely. Works great for
>chili also. Definately grind your own.

I am from Canada and as far as I know we don't have a 'chuck' cut.
When I was a kid we used to as my grandmother used to purchase ground
chuck. However we have changed our meat description. What part of the
steer is 'chuck' found?

Jimmy 24-04-2006 02:53 PM

Best Beef cut for Burger

<The OP asked what cut made the best hamburger. Ribeye is the
<most appropriate answer. It also makes the best chicken fried
<steak.
Perhaps; but I won't buy it: $$$$!; not for burger but your comment is
welcome.

jay 24-04-2006 02:54 PM

Best Beef cut for Burger

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 06:51:26 -0700, Jimmy wrote:

> What part of the

> steer is 'chuck' found?

Take a look at this.

http://www.procutlery.com/CutsChart.htm

Jimmy 24-04-2006 03:01 PM

Best Beef cut for Burger

<Take a look at this.
<http://www.procutlery.com/CutsChart.htm
Excellent chart.

OmManiPadmiOmelet 24-04-2006 06:56 PM

Best Beef cut for Burger

jay wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 06:51:26 -0700, Jimmy wrote:
>

>> What part of the

>>steer is 'chuck' found?

> Take a look at this.
>
> http://www.procutlery.com/CutsChart.htm