FoodBanter.com

-   -   A healthier Wendy's Spicy Chicken ( batter of baked chicken ). (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/89223-healthier-wendys-spicy-chicken.html)

Thaddeus L Olczyk 20-04-2006 02:02 PM

A healthier Wendy's Spicy Chicken ( batter of baked chicken ).

Google "Wendy's Spicy Chicken Recipes"and you will basicly find
the sasme recipe:

1) Make mixture of flour, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika,
cayenne pepper, pepper, salt.

2) Make a mixture of Franks Red Hot Sauce and water.

3) Take a chicken breast coat with mixture, dredge through diluted hot
sauce, coat the chicken with mixture again.

4) Deep fry breast.

Now I have a basic problem with deep frying the chicken. I would like
a healthier alternative. So I would like to bake instead of frying the
chicken.

Two problems:
1) The powder does not stick and cook as well.
2) The chickien comes out tasting like it was marinaded in vinegar.

Both problems probably come from the same source. The diluted hot
sauce probably is not dense enough for the powder to stick well. The
vinegar in the hot sauce leaches into the chicken while baking.

So I would like to make a substitute.

The first thing that I think of is mixing eggs with cayenne powder
garlic (the principle ingredients of Franks aside from water and
vinegar ) and using that. I'm single though so I would probably
wind up throwing away most of the egg ( plus the cholesteral, but
I'm not too worried about that since I probablyh use so little egg ).

So can someone suggest an alternative?

Thanks

Thaddeus L. Olczyk, PhD
Think twice, code once.

Yogi Gupta 20-04-2006 02:28 PM

A healthier Wendy's Spicy Chicken ( batter of baked chicken ).

The reason to use egg white is because it is almost all protein so the
stuff would stick to it. Why not try just buttermilk. Buttermilk is
high enough in protein.

Andy[_2_] 20-04-2006 09:38 PM

A healthier Wendy's Spicy Chicken ( batter of baked chicken ).

Thaddeus L Olczyk > wrote in
:

> Google "Wendy's Spicy Chicken Recipes"and you will basicly find
> the sasme recipe:
>
> 1) Make mixture of flour, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika,
> cayenne pepper, pepper, salt.
>
> 2) Make a mixture of Franks Red Hot Sauce and water.
>
> 3) Take a chicken breast coat with mixture, dredge through diluted hot
> sauce, coat the chicken with mixture again.
>
> 4) Deep fry breast.
>
> Now I have a basic problem with deep frying the chicken. I would like
> a healthier alternative. So I would like to bake instead of frying the
> chicken.
>
> Two problems:
> 1) The powder does not stick and cook as well.
> 2) The chickien comes out tasting like it was marinaded in vinegar.
>
> Both problems probably come from the same source. The diluted hot
> sauce probably is not dense enough for the powder to stick well. The
> vinegar in the hot sauce leaches into the chicken while baking.
>
> So I would like to make a substitute.
>
> The first thing that I think of is mixing eggs with cayenne powder
> garlic (the principle ingredients of Franks aside from water and
> vinegar ) and using that. I'm single though so I would probably
> wind up throwing away most of the egg ( plus the cholesteral, but
> I'm not too worried about that since I probablyh use so little egg ).
>
> So can someone suggest an alternative?
>
> Thanks

> Thaddeus L. Olczyk, PhD
> Think twice, code once.

How about instead of dredging in the Franks hot sauce, baste the chicken
with it while it cooks?

Andy

Thaddeus L Olczyk 21-04-2006 05:55 AM

A healthier Wendy's Spicy Chicken ( batter of baked chicken ).

On 20 Apr 2006 06:28:02 -0700, "Yogi Gupta" >
wrote:

>The reason to use egg white is because it is almost all protein so the
>stuff would stick to it. Why not try just buttermilk. Buttermilk is
>high enough in protein.

In the end my question comes down to, what can you use to get
flour/bread crumbs/whatever stick to chicken ( or meat in general )
to make a crust. I'm pretty sure that buttermilk would work, but won't
it give the chicken a sour taste?
Thaddeus L. Olczyk, PhD
Think twice, code once.

Thaddeus L Olczyk 21-04-2006 05:57 AM

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 15:38:59 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:

>How about instead of dredging in the Franks hot sauce, baste the chicken
>with it while it cooks?

Hmm. Right eliminate the vinegary taste in the chicken by basting with
vinegar. Of course basting like this will help the flour crust stay
on.

Thaddeus L. Olczyk, PhD
Think twice, code once.

Stan Horwitz 21-04-2006 02:12 PM

A healthier Wendy's Spicy Chicken ( batter of baked chicken ).

In article >,
Thaddeus L Olczyk > wrote:

> On 20 Apr 2006 06:28:02 -0700, "Yogi Gupta" >
> wrote:
>
> >The reason to use egg white is because it is almost all protein so the
> >stuff would stick to it. Why not try just buttermilk. Buttermilk is
> >high enough in protein.

> In the end my question comes down to, what can you use to get
> flour/bread crumbs/whatever stick to chicken ( or meat in general )
> to make a crust. I'm pretty sure that buttermilk would work, but won't
> it give the chicken a sour taste?

I doubt it. Try it and find out. Also, instead of frying the chicken,
spray it with Pam or some other similar product and bake it. The most
unhealthy aspect of Wendy's spicy chicken sandwich is that its deep
fried and that adds a huge amount of fat and calories to it. You can
probably reduce the fat and calories by half simply by baking the
chicken.

Food Snob 24-04-2006 11:50 PM

Thaddeus L Olczyk wrote:
> Google "Wendy's Spicy Chicken Recipes"and you will basicly find
> the sasme recipe:
>
> 1) Make mixture of flour, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika,
> cayenne pepper, pepper, salt.
>
> 2) Make a mixture of Franks Red Hot Sauce and water.
>
> 3) Take a chicken breast coat with mixture, dredge through diluted hot
> sauce, coat the chicken with mixture again.
>
> 4) Deep fry breast.
>
> Now I have a basic problem with deep frying the chicken. I would like
> a healthier alternative. So I would like to bake instead of frying the
> chicken.
>
> Two problems:
> 1) The powder does not stick and cook as well.
> 2) The chickien comes out tasting like it was marinaded in vinegar.
>
> Both problems probably come from the same source. The diluted hot
> sauce probably is not dense enough for the powder to stick well. The
> vinegar in the hot sauce leaches into the chicken while baking.
>
> So I would like to make a substitute.
>
> The first thing that I think of is mixing eggs with cayenne powder
> garlic (the principle ingredients of Franks aside from water and
> vinegar ) and using that. I'm single though so I would probably
> wind up throwing away most of the egg ( plus the cholesteral, but
> I'm not too worried about that since I probablyh use so little egg ).
>
> So can someone suggest an alternative?
>
> Thanks

When your imitation trash comes out like, well, trash, why are you
surprised?

> Thaddeus L. Olczyk, PhD
> Think twice, code once.

--Bryan