Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Menu Planning?

For those who cook for the household how do you plan menus?
Here's what I do: My wife and I (retired) seldom eat out and have our
main meal, which I make, at midday. I try to alternate red meat, white
meat and seafood, so I have a three day cycle, and I make one or more
vegetables. Yesterday, for example, we had hamburgers, slow-roasted
tomatoes, caramelized onions and stir fried spinach with garlic.
Toaday we'll have ham and a salad and tomorrow I'll go to whole foods
and see what fish looks good and decide what veg to go with.
Interested to know how others approach this.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Anthony wrote:
> For those who cook for the household how do you plan menus?
> Here's what I do: My wife and I (retired) seldom eat out and have our
> main meal, which I make, at midday. I try to alternate red meat, white
> meat and seafood, so I have a three day cycle, and I make one or more
> vegetables. Yesterday, for example, we had hamburgers, slow-roasted
> tomatoes, caramelized onions and stir fried spinach with garlic.
> Toaday we'll have ham and a salad and tomorrow I'll go to whole foods
> and see what fish looks good and decide what veg to go with.
> Interested to know how others approach this.

I pretty much shop the sales, freeze meat and cook with whatever
veggies are fresh and inexpensive that week. I also "stretch" meals by
making more than we can eat and recycling the meats - roasted chicken
becomes chicken quesadillas later in the week, or chicken soup, for
example. I have old standards - turkey meatloaf, roasted chicken,
pasta with meat-based sauce, chicken burritos. I fall back on those
when I am not feeling too creative.

We generally have a meat, a starch (rice or potatoes) and a green
veggies, and sometimes a second veggie as well (usually roasted or
sauteed veggie mix), and/or a salad. I sometimes throw in a fruit
salad or specialty item such as potatoes au gratin, but most of my
meals are thrown together in an hour with a little one underfoot, so I
don't have the luxury of getting too creative too often.

I also make and pack my husband's lunch daily (usually a salad and
fruit) and cook brekkies and hot lunch for my son and myself minimally,
so I do a lot of cooking all day and night. It's hard to stay
motivated and creative, sometimes.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

-L. wrote:
> It's hard to stay
> motivated and creative, sometimes.
>
> -L.

Amen to that!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Anthony wrote:

> For those who cook for the household how do you plan menus?
> Here's what I do: My wife and I (retired) seldom eat out and have our
> main meal, which I make, at midday. I try to alternate red meat, white
> meat and seafood, so I have a three day cycle, and I make one or more
> vegetables. Yesterday, for example, we had hamburgers, slow-roasted
> tomatoes, caramelized onions and stir fried spinach with garlic.
> Toaday we'll have ham and a salad and tomorrow I'll go to whole foods
> and see what fish looks good and decide what veg to go with.
> Interested to know how others approach this.

We eat our main meal in the evening... and it's not so "cut and dried"
as your "plan". Goes like this in our house - one of us says, "WAF[1]
tonight?" - at some point in the afternoon, and we decide from there.
It's usually, "Well we had chicken/steak/fish/pasta (whatever) last
night - so it must be something different tonight". We do try and eat
enough "green stuff" - (I love veggies, DH eats them cos they are
"healthy" <grin>). And when I run out of ideas, I read RFC and it
usually gives me some good tips/recipes!

[1] = What About Food
--
Cheers
Cathy(xyz)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"Anthony" > wrote:

> For those who cook for the household how do you plan menus?

> Interested to know how others approach this.

I cook for six, at minimum, and it is better for our finances as well
as our health that I do menu planning.

For religious reasons, we eat meatless twice a week. Those are
actually my hardest days, because my husband is a big eater and needs a
lot of protein, so I need to find creative ways to do this that are
tasty, filling and protein rich. The rest of the week is determined by
schedules, our Tuesdays are always busy and Sunday nights we host our
church's youth group, so dinner needs to be finished early enough that
we can get our kids in bed in time.

Mostly, I cook out of the pantry, freezer and fridge, shopping the
sales at our grocery stores. It is a challenge to me, and fun, to make
something wonderful out of what is available and on sale.

I have a daytimer and that's where I put my shopping list, our menu
plans for the week, etc. I tend to plan one week at a time, sometimes
two weeks. Tuesdays need to be quick fixes or something that can cook
itself in the crock pot, Sundays I try to make something extra special,
but it has to be able to be made in less than three hours, including all
cooking time. Wednesdays and Fridays are meatless, though we can eat
fish those days. That leaves Saturdays for meals that take longer to
make, and Mondays and Thursdays for everything else.

I try to cook seasonally, both in terms of availability and type of
food, lighter foods in summer, stews and such in winter. We have family
favorites that I can make easily, and we do keep some convenience
foods/ingredients for times when we are in such a rush, or aren't
feeling up to cooking. On very rare occasions, we scrap it and get a
pizza or something.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"Anthony" > wrote:

> For those who cook for the household how do you plan menus?
> Here's what I do: My wife and I (retired) seldom eat out and have our
> main meal, which I make, at midday. I try to alternate red meat, white
> meat and seafood, so I have a three day cycle, and I make one or more
> vegetables. Yesterday, for example, we had hamburgers, slow-roasted
> tomatoes, caramelized onions and stir fried spinach with garlic.
> Toaday we'll have ham and a salad and tomorrow I'll go to whole foods
> and see what fish looks good and decide what veg to go with.
> Interested to know how others approach this.

I do something similar although I have a vegetarian dinner once a week
and either a pasta/casserole/soup/stew night as well.

Usually I use that months cooking magazines and one cookbook off the
shelf for inspiration. I subscribe to Fine Cooking, Eating Well and
Everyday Foods so between those three magazine and one cookbook there
are lots of ideas. Favorites get torn out and filed in a binder in the
magazine's case or "good" noted by the recipe in the cookbook so I can
find the favorites again.

marcella
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 09:20:17 -0700, Ranee Mueller
> wrote:

>We have family
>favorites that I can make easily, and we do keep some convenience
>foods/ingredients for times when we are in such a rush, or aren't
>feeling up to cooking.

What do you keep on hand for times like that?

I am trying to establish a basic pantry for stuff like that, cause I
am expecting to have more visitors to feed this summer... I can't take
up too much room though, as my space is extremely limited in this
apartment.

Christine, who thinks apartment designers don't cook.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 09:20:17 -0700, Ranee Mueller
> > wrote:
>
> >We have family
> >favorites that I can make easily, and we do keep some convenience
> >foods/ingredients for times when we are in such a rush, or aren't
> >feeling up to cooking.

> What do you keep on hand for times like that?
>
> I am trying to establish a basic pantry for stuff like that, cause I
> am expecting to have more visitors to feed this summer... I can't take
> up too much room though, as my space is extremely limited in this
> apartment.
>
> Christine, who thinks apartment designers don't cook.

My apartment pantry, though small, is well - stocked (I'd even say
"stuffed")...I am in the habit of always having prepped vegetables (common
stuff like onions, celery, carrots, etc.) in the fridge and some frozen veg,
homemade stocks and soups, etc. in the freezer. I am also making my own
salad dressings. So I can throw together a decent and healthy meal whether
it's for me or guests...usually all I'll have to buy is meat for the main
course...

This all saves time and money...I don't "plan" menus per se but I have all
the ingredients at hand...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Anthony wrote:

> For those who cook for the household how do you plan menus?
> Here's what I do: My wife and I (retired) seldom eat out and have our
> main meal, which I make, at midday. I try to alternate red meat, white
> meat and seafood, so I have a three day cycle, and I make one or more
> vegetables. Yesterday, for example, we had hamburgers, slow-roasted
> tomatoes, caramelized onions and stir fried spinach with garlic.
> Toaday we'll have ham and a salad and tomorrow I'll go to whole foods
> and see what fish looks good and decide what veg to go with.
> Interested to know how others approach this.

I do most of the cooking and the shopping for my wife and I, also both
retired. I have got into the habit of going to a local family run grocery
stores that sells excellent meat at good prices and in small packages. I go
in there once a month and stock up on meat, getting enough for at least 20
dinners. Needless to say, I buy extra of whatever is on sale. I only have
beef once or twice a week. We have pork once a week and I get fresh fish at
least once a week. The rest of the time we have chicken. I often get a
nice chicken for Sunday dinner and then Monday we have left over chicken.

Once a month I go to a no frills store and stock up on staples. They also
have nice produce, and it is usually 30-40% cheaper than the big grocery
store nearby. On the alternate weeks I go to the big grocery store, Zehrs
to get their fresh baguettes and other items not available in the smaller
stores. During the summer we buy our fruits and vegetables from local
fruit stands.

I do not go from store to store bargain hunting. I am more of an impulsive
shopper, so I aim for one store and try to get as much as I can there. I
figure that if things are a little expensive it is better to just get it in
one stop than to go to a second or third store where I will buy more things
impulsive. I know, I know, I should get a list and stick to it, but that is
not in my impulsive nature.

Last week my wife gave me a list when I headed off to the no frills joint.
She claims I forgot things. I said they weren't on her list. She says the
list was just thin things she didn't want me to forget but I usually get
the other stuff anyway.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 17:00:55 GMT, "Gregory Morrow"
<gregorymorrowEMERGENCYCANCELLATIONARCHIMEDES@eart hlink.net> wrote:

>Christine Dabney wrote:
>

>> Christine, who thinks apartment designers don't cook.

>My apartment pantry, though small, is well - stocked (I'd even say
>"stuffed")...I am in the habit of always having prepped vegetables (common
>stuff like onions, celery, carrots, etc.) in the fridge and some frozen veg,
>homemade stocks and soups, etc. in the freezer. I am also making my own
>salad dressings. So I can throw together a decent and healthy meal whether
>it's for me or guests...usually all I'll have to buy is meat for the main
>course...
>
>This all saves time and money...I don't "plan" menus per se but I have all
>the ingredients at hand...

The thing is, this apartment doesn't have any, and I mean ANY pantry
space. It barely has space to put dishes, glassware, and pots and
pans. The freezer in this fridge has an ice maker that takes up half
the space...

I did bring my cast iron shelving unit, so I am using that for pantry
storage, but even then, it gets jammed with what I use: vinegars,
oils, spices, and the other usual staples like sugar, flour, rice,
etc. I barely have any room for any sort of canned goods.

The onions, celery, garlic and carrots, I usually have.

As soon as I get this kitchen all "unpacked", I will take a pic for
you all.

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 17:00:55 GMT, "Gregory Morrow"
> <gregorymorrowEMERGENCYCANCELLATIONARCHIMEDES@eart hlink.net> wrote:
>

> >Christine Dabney wrote:
> >

> >> Christine, who thinks apartment designers don't cook.

> >My apartment pantry, though small, is well - stocked (I'd even say
> >"stuffed")...I am in the habit of always having prepped vegetables

(common
> >stuff like onions, celery, carrots, etc.) in the fridge and some frozen

veg,
> >homemade stocks and soups, etc. in the freezer. I am also making my own
> >salad dressings. So I can throw together a decent and healthy meal

whether
> >it's for me or guests...usually all I'll have to buy is meat for the main
> >course...
> >
> >This all saves time and money...I don't "plan" menus per se but I have

all
> >the ingredients at hand...

> The thing is, this apartment doesn't have any, and I mean ANY pantry
> space. It barely has space to put dishes, glassware, and pots and
> pans. The freezer in this fridge has an ice maker that takes up half
> the space...

I hear ya. Luckily I have a full closet in my little galley kitchen and I
have okay cabinet space. But stuff is packed to the "nth", I really have
everything arranged very tightly. Toaster, blender, food processor, and
knife block fit perfectly on top of the fridge. Some things, though, I just
can't fit in. So the electric fry pan is in a bedroom closet (along with
cases of canning jars, my canning kettle, and canning equipment -- these I
should really dispense with as I don't can anymore) :-|

A friend borrowed my rice cooker, now I can fit my big crockpot in the
kitchen cabinet -- could not fit *both* at the same time. I told the
friend, "Hey, keep the rice cooker as long as you want!".

I've bought some wire hanging storage dealies for the kitchen pantry, I can
store a lot more...

My usable counter space measures about 2x3', and I have NO counter space at
all adjacent to the stove. I'm an expert at "jiggling" stuff whilst
cooking. If I have to do a lot of veg prep work I'll often actually do that
on the cocktail table in front of the teevee...more room.

I'd REALLY love to get a small chest freezer but I honestly think it'd have
to go in the bedroom...

> I did bring my cast iron shelving unit, so I am using that for pantry
> storage, but even then, it gets jammed with what I use: vinegars,
> oils, spices, and the other usual staples like sugar, flour, rice,
> etc. I barely have any room for any sort of canned goods.
>
> The onions, celery, garlic and carrots, I usually have.
>
> As soon as I get this kitchen all "unpacked", I will take a pic for
> you all.

Kre8tive kitchen storage tips and pix always welcome :-)

OH, and I forgot, the rotisserie is in the coat/entry closet ;-)

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Anthony wrote:
> For those who cook for the household how do you plan menus?
> Here's what I do: My wife and I (retired) seldom eat out and have our
> main meal, which I make, at midday. I try to alternate red meat, white
> meat and seafood, so I have a three day cycle, and I make one or more
> vegetables. Yesterday, for example, we had hamburgers, slow-roasted
> tomatoes, caramelized onions and stir fried spinach with garlic.
> Toaday we'll have ham and a salad and tomorrow I'll go to whole foods
> and see what fish looks good and decide what veg to go with.
> Interested to know how others approach this.

Gee, why so difficult... for each meal I simply pop a few brewskis and
snack around that.

And it's great for maintaining my girlish figure, you'd be surprised
how much smaller the portions you'd eat after three beers.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Anthony wrote:
> For those who cook for the household how do you plan menus?
> Here's what I do: My wife and I (retired) seldom eat out and have our
> main meal, which I make, at midday. I try to alternate red meat, white
> meat and seafood, so I have a three day cycle, and I make one or more
> vegetables. [snip]
> Interested to know how others approach this.

I don't plan menus, I forage. I look to see what is ready for harvest
from the backyard veggie garden. I go to the store and react to what
looks good and what's on sale. We go to the weekly farmer's market and
do the same. If we have a master plan, it's to emphasize seasonal
foods and to maintain a very eclectic approach. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Christine Dabney > wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 09:20:17 -0700, Ranee Mueller
> > wrote:
>
> >We have family
> >favorites that I can make easily, and we do keep some convenience
> >foods/ingredients for times when we are in such a rush, or aren't
> >feeling up to cooking.

> What do you keep on hand for times like that?

Pastas and rice, frozen vegetables, jars of pasta sauces that we
like, canned tomatoes, canned beans, onions, garlic, potatoes, olives of
various sorts, things like that. In terms of actual instant food,
usually we have a couple frozen lasagnes and some frozen pizzas, so if
we really can't cope with cooking, we have something.

> Christine, who thinks apartment designers don't cook.

I am not sure that modern house designers cook either. Some friends
of ours have a nice big, sprawling house, that has an apartment sized
kitchen. They have six kids.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Christine Dabney > wrote:

> What do you keep on hand for times like that?

Oh, I also buy some boxes of chicken and beef broth for when I don't
have any in the freezer, and canned tuna. I can usually make a quick
soup or casserole or pasta dish with these kinds of ingredients, plus
any meat/vegetables I might have.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I am not sure that modern house designers cook either. Some friends
> of ours have a nice big, sprawling house, that has an apartment sized
> kitchen. They have six kids.
>
> Regards,
> Ranee

Kids came before or after they bought the house? :-)))

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 18 Apr 2006 08:49:38 -0700, "Anthony" > wrote:

>For those who cook for the household how do you plan menus?

Depends on how much energy I have, but basically, we have eight or ten
sure-fire favorites around here, and we have other stuff when I'm in
the mood to cook something new. Sometimes I plan ahead of time,
sometimes not. Just depends on how I'm feeling. Usually, I plan
(when I do) a week or ten days in advance, like this:

http://www.reluctantvegan.com/2005/1...eks-menus.html

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 21:46:50 -0700, Serene >
wrote:

>On 18 Apr 2006 08:49:38 -0700, "Anthony" > wrote:
>
>>For those who cook for the household how do you plan menus?

>Depends on how much energy I have, but basically, we have eight or ten
>sure-fire favorites around here, and we have other stuff when I'm in
>the mood to cook something new. Sometimes I plan ahead of time,
>sometimes not. Just depends on how I'm feeling. Usually, I plan
>(when I do) a week or ten days in advance, like this:
>
>http://www.reluctantvegan.com/2005/1...eks-menus.html

Those are great pictures! You make vegan meals look downright
appetizing!

Carol
--

Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Stolen from "traid" on the IRC
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 00:59:32 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:

>On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 21:46:50 -0700, Serene >
>wrote:
>
>>On 18 Apr 2006 08:49:38 -0700, "Anthony" > wrote:
>>
>>>For those who cook for the household how do you plan menus?

>>Depends on how much energy I have, but basically, we have eight or ten
>>sure-fire favorites around here, and we have other stuff when I'm in
>>the mood to cook something new. Sometimes I plan ahead of time,
>>sometimes not. Just depends on how I'm feeling. Usually, I plan
>>(when I do) a week or ten days in advance, like this:
>>
>>http://www.reluctantvegan.com/2005/1...eks-menus.html

>Those are great pictures! You make vegan meals look downright
>appetizing!

Pictures? Sure you're not hallucinatin' again? I warned you about
them magic mushrooms, darlin'.

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 17:00:55 GMT, "Gregory Morrow"
> <gregorymorrowEMERGENCYCANCELLATIONARCHIMEDES@eart hlink.net> wrote:
>

>> Christine Dabney wrote:
>>

>>> Christine, who thinks apartment designers don't cook.

>> My apartment pantry, though small, is well - stocked (I'd even say
>> "stuffed")...I am in the habit of always having prepped vegetables
>> (common stuff like onions, celery, carrots, etc.) in the fridge and
>> some frozen veg, homemade stocks and soups, etc. in the freezer. I
>> am also making my own salad dressings. So I can throw together a
>> decent and healthy meal whether it's for me or guests...usually all
>> I'll have to buy is meat for the main course...
>>
>> This all saves time and money...I don't "plan" menus per se but I
>> have all the ingredients at hand...

> The thing is, this apartment doesn't have any, and I mean ANY pantry
> space. It barely has space to put dishes, glassware, and pots and
> pans. The freezer in this fridge has an ice maker that takes up half
> the space...
>
> I did bring my cast iron shelving unit, so I am using that for pantry
> storage, but even then, it gets jammed with what I use: vinegars,
> oils, spices, and the other usual staples like sugar, flour, rice,
> etc. I barely have any room for any sort of canned goods.
>
> The onions, celery, garlic and carrots, I usually have.
>
> As soon as I get this kitchen all "unpacked", I will take a pic for
> you all.
>
> Christine

I wouldn't unpack too much (like all your books) if you're still planning to
continue looking for a house to rent

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
> Christine, who thinks apartment designers don't cook.

I know exactly why my apartment kitchen is so tiny and lacks counter and
storage space. When it was built around 1982, this was a "singles or
couples only" complex. No kids. Pretty much designed for roommates. If
they were anything like the younger folks I see moving in here, cooking was
the last thing on their minds. More like *party!* The patio in the back is
very spacious, but it's nowhere near the kitchen which isn't very convenient
if you decide to grill; you have to carry the food through the dining and
living room area which isn't very convenient. I do grill frequently, but
the architects of this place didn't have cooking in mind.

As for menu planning, I don't really plan. I look at what I have, then
consider what I'm craving, and go from there.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 23:15:33 -0700, Serene >
wrote:

>On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 00:59:32 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 21:46:50 -0700, Serene >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>http://www.reluctantvegan.com/2005/1...eks-menus.html

>>Those are great pictures! You make vegan meals look downright
>>appetizing!

>Pictures? Sure you're not hallucinatin' again? I warned you about
>them magic mushrooms, darlin'.

Dunno. Somehow, I wound up on a page full of pictures. The only one
that wasn't vegetarian was pork chops and sauerkraut. Does that sound
familiar? I have no clue what I clicked on.

Carol
--

Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Stolen from "traid" on the IRC
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 06:17:58 -0500, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

>Christine Dabney wrote:

>> As soon as I get this kitchen all "unpacked", I will take a pic for
>> you all.
>>
>> Christine

>I wouldn't unpack too much (like all your books) if you're still planning to
>continue looking for a house to rent
>
>Jill

Yeah, I know. I am going through this dilemma of how much to unpack.

Unfortunately, I am not sure how long it will take me to find a house
to rent, that I like and can afford. It could be one week, it could
be a month or two. I don' want to have everything still in boxes and
me still be here in this apartment two months down the road. It gets
really frustrating for me to live like that.

What to do, what to do....

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 11:32:19 -0600, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 17:00:55 GMT, "Gregory Morrow"
><gregorymorrowEMERGENCYCANCELLATIONARCHIMEDES@ear thlink.net> wrote:

>The thing is, this apartment doesn't have any, and I mean ANY pantry
>space. It barely has space to put dishes, glassware, and pots and
>pans. The freezer in this fridge has an ice maker that takes up half
>the space...
>
>I did bring my cast iron shelving unit, so I am using that for pantry
>storage, but even then, it gets jammed with what I use: vinegars,
>oils, spices, and the other usual staples like sugar, flour, rice,
>etc. I barely have any room for any sort of canned goods.
>
>The onions, celery, garlic and carrots, I usually have.
>
>As soon as I get this kitchen all "unpacked", I will take a pic for
>you all.
>
>Christine

Our canned goods live in a big plastic tub in the bottom of the
livingroom closet - there wasn't ANYWHERE to put them otherwise! Our
kitchen is very short on storage space. Half the rest of our kitchen
stuff also lives in that closet because there just isn't room for it
in the kitchen.
One day I'll get really efficient and buy a real bookshelf to hold our
books (which share the closet shelves) and I'll set up a better pantry
space in the closet. For now it's a mishmash and an incredible mess.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 18 Apr 2006 08:49:38 -0700, "Anthony" > wrote:

>For those who cook for the household how do you plan menus?

I'm not really into menu planning. When we go to the store I look at
what's on sale and think 'that would make a nice meal' or 'I'd like to
have lasagna this week' so I buy the required ingredients and bring
them home and put them away in the freezer/cupboard and that's about
as far as it goes. Then when I want to make it I know that they're
there...

When I come to cook I'll think 'what do I feel like eating tonight?'
or 'what would DH really like?' or 'what can I cook inside 30
minutes?' etc depending on how much time I know I have. Our staple
thirty minute meal is chicken breast fingers thawed in the microwave
then fried up while some potatos or sweet potatoes nuke, and then
frozen vegetables of some kind take their place in the microwave. The
whole meal is on the table in 30 minutes flat.

If I'm really uninspired I'll ask DH what he wants for dinner and his
answer is almost always chilli or hamburgers. If I really don't feel
like it I say no, or I'll just make it for him. He refuses point blank
to eat leftovers so we usually have something floating around that I
can finish up. We don't have the freezer space to store more than one
or two cooked meals, so if I don't eat the leftovers they end up being
tossed out.

The other consideration is what do we have in the fridge that needs to
be used up, like grated cheese or roast chicken or lunchmeat...

I don't plan lunches - DH has a sandwich or a hotdog if he's home
early enough and otherwise we try to eat dinner before six.

Breakfast depends entirely on DH's plans for the day - if he has to go
early he doesn't have any and I have a bowl of cereal. If he has a bit
more time I make us some toast with lunch meat. And if he has a lot of
time then I cook eggs and bacon and french toast.

Our last weeks' menu was:
Saturday night - frozen lasagne and a bowl of salad, baked at the same
time as I roasted vegetables for Sunday lunch at Church.
Sunday - Easter luncheon at church, so DH had a hotdog for dinner and
I didn't need anything. I took chicken pot pie and roasted vegetables
to the luncheon and everyone ate very well.
Monday I made a baked potato salad because we had a bunch of canadian
bacon that needed to be used up and I knew we had lots of potatoes in
the cupboard. And we had another bowl of salad to go with it.
Tuesday - chicken fingers, sweet potato and frozen California blend.
Tonight - Chilli
Tomorrow - probably pork chops, baked potato, green beans and
applesauce
Friday - something with chicken.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Dee Randall" > wrote:

> > I am not sure that modern house designers cook either. Some friends
> > of ours have a nice big, sprawling house, that has an apartment sized
> > kitchen. They have six kids.

> Kids came before or after they bought the house? :-)))

Long before. Their most recent is three this year, and they
moved in when he was a baby.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 07:52:16 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:

>On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 23:15:33 -0700, Serene >
>wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 00:59:32 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:

>>>Those are great pictures! You make vegan meals look downright
>>>appetizing!

>>Pictures? Sure you're not hallucinatin' again? I warned you about
>>them magic mushrooms, darlin'.

>Dunno. Somehow, I wound up on a page full of pictures. The only one
>that wasn't vegetarian was pork chops and sauerkraut. Does that sound
>familiar? I have no clue what I clicked on.

Ohhh, I got it. Maybe *I* need to lay off the mushrooms. :-)

( http://pics.livejournal.com/serenejournal )

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 18 Apr 2006 08:49:38 -0700, "Anthony" > wrote:

I cook for 4, only evenings (nobody's home for lunch). I plan once a
week, on Friday, since we go to the farmer's market on Saturday
morning, and I buy my vegetables, fruits, meat and cheese there. I
plan by taking a couple of cookbooks or cooking magazines down from
the shelf, and browsing through them. So sometimes we have a "Spanish
week", or a "Greek week", or a "Steven Raichlen week" :-). I don't see
the need to cook meat or fish at every meal, I also cook a lot of
vegetable or pulse or cheese-based meals.

Nathalie in Switzerland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Karen AKA Kajikit > wrote:

> He refuses point blank to eat leftovers so we usually have something
> floating around that I can finish up.

What is his reason for refusing reheated food? I'm curious.
One of my late BsIL was like that. A real picky SOB and my sister's not
a particularly gifted cook (that's being kind -- really). If she
prepared chicken, say, twice in three weeks, he'd say, "Chicken?! We
just HAD chicken." Meal planning was very difficult for her. Ida let
the SOB fix his own meals. But that's another story.

(Hey, Karen -- Minicon was last week. The weather was gorgeous! How's
your mom?)
--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 4-17-2006 with Easter stuffs.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:

>On 18 Apr 2006 08:49:38 -0700, "Anthony" > wrote:
>

>>For those who cook for the household how do you plan menus?
>>

>I'm not really into menu planning. When we go to the store I look at
>what's on sale and think 'that would make a nice meal' or 'I'd like to
>have lasagna this week' so I buy the required ingredients and bring
>them home and put them away in the freezer/cupboard and that's about
>as far as it goes. Then when I want to make it I know that they're
>there...
>
>When I come to cook I'll think 'what do I feel like eating tonight?'
>or 'what would DH really like?' or 'what can I cook inside 30
>minutes?' etc depending on how much time I know I have. Our staple
>thirty minute meal is chicken breast fingers thawed in the microwave
>then fried up while some potatos or sweet potatoes nuke, and then
>frozen vegetables of some kind take their place in the microwave. The
>whole meal is on the table in 30 minutes flat.
>
>If I'm really uninspired I'll ask DH what he wants for dinner and his
>answer is almost always chilli or hamburgers. If I really don't feel
>like it I say no, or I'll just make it for him. He refuses point blank
>to eat leftovers so we usually have something floating around that I
>can finish up. We don't have the freezer space to store more than one
>or two cooked meals, so if I don't eat the leftovers they end up being
>tossed out.

That man needs serious retraining. What is wrong with leftovers? A lot
of dishes are most conveniently made in quantities that will serve four
or even six people, and will if anything improve by being stored in the
fridge for a day or two. If I understand you correctly, there are days
when you, in the interests of domestic economy, eat the leftovers and
you prepare something special for His Majesty. I suppose it's nice to
know he feels you can afford to throw out perfectly good food, but it's
still a wicked waste.

Perhaps you should get a dog. :-)

>The other consideration is what do we have in the fridge that needs to
>be used up, like grated cheese or roast chicken or lunchmeat...

Ah yes, the good old bottom of the fridge frittatta!

>I don't plan lunches - DH has a sandwich or a hotdog if he's home
>early enough and otherwise we try to eat dinner before six.

Before *six*! Good grief, I don't even start cooking until after six
most days.

>Breakfast depends entirely on DH's plans for the day - if he has to go
>early he doesn't have any and I have a bowl of cereal. If he has a bit
>more time I make us some toast with lunch meat. And if he has a lot of
>time then I cook eggs and bacon and french toast.
>
>Our last weeks' menu was:
>Saturday night - frozen lasagne and a bowl of salad, baked at the same
>time as I roasted vegetables for Sunday lunch at Church.
>Sunday - Easter luncheon at church, so DH had a hotdog for dinner and
>I didn't need anything. I took chicken pot pie and roasted vegetables
>to the luncheon and everyone ate very well.
> Monday I made a baked potato salad because we had a bunch of canadian
>bacon that needed to be used up and I knew we had lots of potatoes in
>the cupboard. And we had another bowl of salad to go with it.
>Tuesday - chicken fingers, sweet potato and frozen California blend.
>Tonight - Chilli
>Tomorrow - probably pork chops, baked potato, green beans and
>applesauce
>Friday - something with chicken.

That all sounds not bad! We're having chicken tonight, one of my easy
standbys. I got the butcher to joint a chook for me since he didn't have
any thighs. Slice a chorizo sausage (I've always got one or two in the
fridge). Dice a red and a yellow capsicum, finely slice half an onion
and a garlic clove. Mix a tin of chopped tomatoes with 1/3 cup white
wine, 1 tsp paprika (preferably smoked) and 1 tsp sea salt. Add the veg
and sausage and tip into ovenproof dish. Arrange the chicken pieces on
top and drizzle with 2 tbs EVO. About 50 mins in a moderate oven and
it's done.

Because I'm using a whole chook there will certainly be leftovers (I
normally use four thighs, bone in and skin on). These are probably
destined for the freezer.

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Old Mother Ashby > wrote:

> Before *six*! Good grief, I don't even start cooking until after six
> most days.

Before we had kids, and even when we had just one infant who nursed
and went to sleep when he felt like it, we usually ate between 7:00 and
8:00. Now that we have four little ones, with two in school, and early
morning waking. dressing, getting ready for school for the children as
well as ourselves, and the evening hours give us some adult time, we eat
between 5:30 and 6:00, sometimes as late as 6:30, so we can have the
kids in bed at 7:30.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 08:29:39 -0700, Ranee Mueller
> wrote:

>In article
>,
> Old Mother Ashby > wrote:
>
>> Before *six*! Good grief, I don't even start cooking until after six
>> most days.

> Before we had kids, and even when we had just one infant who nursed
>and went to sleep when he felt like it, we usually ate between 7:00 and
>8:00. Now that we have four little ones, with two in school, and early
>morning waking. dressing, getting ready for school for the children as
>well as ourselves, and the evening hours give us some adult time, we eat
>between 5:30 and 6:00, sometimes as late as 6:30, so we can have the
>kids in bed at 7:30.
>
> Regards,
> Ranee

We were the same when the kids were little. We ate at about 5.30pm
once the kids were up to eating what we ate. The time advanced out as
they got older, but we almost always ate by 6.30-7pm while they were
at school. Mind you, in those days I finished work by 3pm. Today I
finish at 5pm and could not manage that. You need your evening time
once the kids are in bed for yourself, not for cooking.

Kathy in NZ

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kathy in NZ" > wrote in message
> . You need your evening time
> once the kids are in bed for yourself, not for cooking.

Sometimes. Many of us enjoy cooking. It is something we do for pleasure,
not just to eat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I'm one who hates to plan meals. I never shop for more than three main
meals at a time. A mental block, I think. I like to cook but not
every day, so we make a lot of meals which can be recycled, like bean
or vegetable soup.
Eat out on average twice a week.

For a while, I kept track of every main meal we had for a few months,
then relied on that for ideas. Red meat - never more than once a week
and that includes lunches. Heavy on the poultry, seafood, fish and
meatless.

We have maybe 30 tried and true meals we like to rotate. I once tried
following those menus you see in magazines and cookbooks- but the
portions were never right for 2, plus they tended to be heavy on the
fat grams.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
wrote:

> I'm one who hates to plan meals. I never shop for more than three main
> meals at a time. A mental block, I think. I like to cook but not
> every day, so we make a lot of meals which can be recycled, like bean
> or vegetable soup.
> Eat out on average twice a week.

<snip>
> We have maybe 30 tried and true meals we like to rotate. I once tried
> following those menus you see in magazines and cookbooks- but the
> portions were never right for 2, plus they tended to be heavy on the
> fat grams.

I'm wondering if the tendency to plan has something to do with family
size. If you live alone, or it's just you and one other person, it's
not such a big deal not to plan. You look and see what's in the fridge,
you decide to go out to eat, whatever. When you're cooking for four or
five or six or seven people, most of whom have early bedtimes and school
in the morning, a budget to go with that, you don't go out to eat as
often, and if you don't plan meals at least some of the time, you end up
eating junk or eating at 10:00 at night.

When we were first married, even though we had less money, we also
had more that was expendable. It also wasn't as large a splurge to get
some expensive meat or fish or vegetables or whatever for the two of us
as it is to get it for six of us. You can get away with more when there
are fewer people in a household.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:

> "Kathy in NZ" > wrote in message
> > . You need your evening time
> > once the kids are in bed for yourself, not for cooking.

> Sometimes. Many of us enjoy cooking. It is something we do for pleasure,
> not just to eat.

Do you have young children?

I love to cook, it is one of my favorite parts of being a homemaker.
However, little children are lots of work, and they are exhausting.
Even things I enjoy are not what I want to do at the end of the day when
I am drained and physically worn out. Those hours with the kids in bed
give Rich and me a chance to unwind, reconnect and catch up on the
other's day. I already spend too much of my evening doing laundry and
dishes, I don't need to be doing it at 11:00 pm on a regular basis,
after having done the cooking and helping wrangle the kids into bed.

For holiday meals, I do tend to stay up late several days cooking
things that can be prepared ahead, or doing other prep/cleaning, but I
take a day or two of rest after that, and it takes its toll. I would
hate to do it on a regular basis.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ranee Mueller" > wrote in message
news:raneemdonot-> When we were first married, even though we had less
money, we also
> had more that was expendable. It also wasn't as large a splurge to get
> some expensive meat or fish or vegetables or whatever for the two of us
> as it is to get it for six of us. You can get away with more when there
> are fewer people in a household.

Yes When I look back into the far distant past it was the same for us
too)

Once the children came along I, the same as you I think, made everything
myself I still make bread for the two of us but now I use a breadmaker.
That wouldn't have been viable when the children were home even if I could
have found such a thing I used to have one day for breads, one day for
cakes and sweets, one day for pastry

Of course the children (and their children) come home often but I just rack
up the amount of loaves I make and put them in the freezer. They still
prefer that bread to bought bread In mitigation I have to say I do work
full time

How are you doing Ranee? I often think about you)

Ophelia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ophelia" > wrote:

> How are you doing Ranee? I often think about you)

I'm doing alright. Baby is doing acrobatics, and we're enjoying
the spring weather. We've been able to be outdoors so much more lately.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ranee Mueller" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Ophelia" > wrote:
>
>> How are you doing Ranee? I often think about you)

> I'm doing alright. Baby is doing acrobatics, and we're enjoying
> the spring weather. We've been able to be outdoors so much more lately.

Wonderful)))

Menu Planning ravenlynne[_5_] General Cooking 39 21-12-2010 05:50 AM
menu planning hawoof General Cooking 4 24-01-2008 03:27 PM
Menu Planning again biig General Cooking 3 26-04-2006 09:30 PM
Menu Planning? RobtE General Cooking 8 10-06-2005 02:06 PM
Menu planning Peter Aitken General Cooking 4 09-10-2004 10:43 AM