FoodBanter.com

-   -   5-spice plus one (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/89012-5-spice-plus-one.html)

Blair P. Houghton[_1_] 18-04-2006 02:28 AM

5-spice plus one

Oh man. I just had the BEST pork chop ever.

I mixed about a heaping teaspoon of 5-spice with a couple of aggressive
dashes of Penzey's ground chipotle powder, then sprinkled it and some
salt on a boneless pork loin chop that I'd dried and oiled with a
little evoo. Tossed it on the grill (550-600F) for 3 minutes a side.
Served with some rice that I'd steamed with a pinch of saffron and a
split clove of garlic.

Total heaven. Good spice in the front; saltiness amplified by grill
marks; sweetness from the anise; depth from the rest; grilled perfectly
juicy.

--Blair

Rusty[_1_] 18-04-2006 04:03 AM

5-spice plus one

Blair P. Houghton wrote:
> Oh man. I just had the BEST pork chop ever.
>
> I mixed about a heaping teaspoon of 5-spice with a couple of aggressive
> dashes of Penzey's ground chipotle powder, then sprinkled it and some
> salt on a boneless pork loin chop that I'd dried and oiled with a
> little evoo. Tossed it on the grill (550-600F) for 3 minutes a side.
> Served with some rice that I'd steamed with a pinch of saffron and a
> split clove of garlic.
>
> Total heaven. Good spice in the front; saltiness amplified by grill
> marks; sweetness from the anise; depth from the rest; grilled perfectly
> juicy.
>
> --Blair

You've invented 6-Spice Powder. GOOD GOD! "6" THE NUMBER OF SATAN! I
shall prey for you my brother!!

And then I'll make some and try it myself.

;-)

Rusty

Wayne Boatwright[_1_] 18-04-2006 04:23 AM

5-spice plus one

On Mon 17 Apr 2006 08:03:43p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Rusty?

> Blair P. Houghton wrote:
>> Oh man. I just had the BEST pork chop ever.
>>
>> I mixed about a heaping teaspoon of 5-spice with a couple of aggressive
>> dashes of Penzey's ground chipotle powder, then sprinkled it and some
>> salt on a boneless pork loin chop that I'd dried and oiled with a
>> little evoo. Tossed it on the grill (550-600F) for 3 minutes a side.
>> Served with some rice that I'd steamed with a pinch of saffron and a
>> split clove of garlic.
>>
>> Total heaven. Good spice in the front; saltiness amplified by grill
>> marks; sweetness from the anise; depth from the rest; grilled perfectly
>> juicy.
>>
>> --Blair

> You've invented 6-Spice Powder. GOOD GOD! "6" THE NUMBER OF SATAN! I
> shall prey for you my brother!!
>
> And then I'll make some and try it myself.
>
> ;-)
>
> Rusty

For my own taste, I think chipotle is highly overrated. My loss, I guess.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________

Blair P. Houghton[_1_] 18-04-2006 06:50 AM

5-spice plus one

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> For my own taste, I think chipotle is highly overrated. My loss, I guess.

You've smelled Penzey's and still think that?

I smelled it and asked if they had a car air freshener in that scent.

Yesterday I mixed some ancho and chipotle to make a less-spicy blend,
ground up some dried minced onion and mexican oregano and dried minced
garlic, then dumped it all in a zip-loc with some evoo and cubed
chicken and let it marinate.

Sautee'd it and served on hot flour tortillas with lettuce and tomato
and cheddar and a squirt of (sub)lime.

I thought I'd rather overdone the spicing as the chicken was positively
breaded in the stuff, but it fried up nice and tasted great with all
the other stuff in the tortilla.

--Blair

Wayne Boatwright[_1_] 18-04-2006 07:10 AM

5-spice plus one

On Mon 17 Apr 2006 10:50:02p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Blair P.
Houghton?

> You've smelled Penzey's and still think that?

Yes, I have a nearly full jar that I ordered several years ago and tried soon
after receiving it. I don't care for the taste. Maybe it's like
cilantro...you either love it or hate it. I should probably throw it out, as
I'm sure I'll never use it again.

> I smelled it and asked if they had a car air freshener in that scent.

UGH! I'd have to drive with the windows down.

Funny thing is, it's the only chile I don't like.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________

Damsel in dis Dress[_1_] 18-04-2006 07:42 AM

5-spice plus one

On 18 Apr 2006 08:10:54 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
<wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>On Mon 17 Apr 2006 10:50:02p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Blair P.
>Houghton?
>
>> You've smelled Penzey's and still think that?

>Yes, I have a nearly full jar that I ordered several years ago and tried soon
>after receiving it. I don't care for the taste. Maybe it's like
>cilantro...you either love it or hate it. I should probably throw it out, as
>I'm sure I'll never use it again.

Mail it to me! We're all out! LOL!

Carol
--

Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Stolen from "traid" on the IRC

HiTech RedNeck 18-04-2006 07:59 AM

5-spice plus one

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
28.19...

> For my own taste, I think chipotle is highly overrated. My loss, I guess.

Chipotle is a highly variable product. Depends on the quality of the
peppers and the smoking process. Ever tried the "Sierra Turkey" sandwich at
Panera (formerly St. Louis Bread Company)? They say they use a chipotle
mayo; it's poetically good. I have never found a chipotle anything else
that matches it.

Dee Randall 18-04-2006 02:44 PM

5-spice plus one

"HiTech RedNeck" > wrote in message
om...

> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> 28.19...
>
>> For my own taste, I think chipotle is highly overrated. My loss, I
>> guess.

> Chipotle is a highly variable product. Depends on the quality of the
> peppers and the smoking process. Ever tried the "Sierra Turkey" sandwich
> at
> Panera (formerly St. Louis Bread Company)? They say they use a chipotle
> mayo; it's poetically good. I have never found a chipotle anything else
> that matches it.

Not even your own? Why not open a can of chipotle, put it in a blender,
take out a minimal amount and mix into it a little mayo until you get the
right proportions. I'll bet it's not much more than that, and you could
make it for your sandwiches, too. Pick up some sliced turkey and an extra
baguette when you're at Panera.

Panera can vary -- although I don't know why it should unless it is the way
the food is kept after it is received. On our way to CT last week, we ate at
one Panera going up and a different one coming back. DH's seasme chicken
salad's chicken was soo good going up that I decided to have it coming
back -- wasn't very tasty.

Dee Dee

Syssi 22-04-2006 11:19 PM

5-spice plus one

"Blair P. Houghton" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Oh man. I just had the BEST pork chop ever.
>
> I mixed about a heaping teaspoon of 5-spice with a couple of aggressive
> dashes of Penzey's ground chipotle powder, then sprinkled it and some
> salt on a boneless pork loin chop that I'd dried and oiled with a
> little evoo. Tossed it on the grill (550-600F) for 3 minutes a side.
> Served with some rice that I'd steamed with a pinch of saffron and a
> split clove of garlic.
>
> Total heaven. Good spice in the front; saltiness amplified by grill
> marks; sweetness from the anise; depth from the rest; grilled perfectly
> juicy.
>
> --Blair
>===========

Yumm! That is similar to the meat marinade that I use on both pork and
beef. My lil' sister requests pork chops when she knows that I'll make them
this way:

Meat Marinade

For various types of meat :

1/2 c Teriyaki Sauce
1/4 c Honey
1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
1 TBSP Garlic, minced or powdered
1 tsp Black Pepper
1 tsp 5-Spice powder
1 tsp Tea Leaves, optional
Worcestershire Sauce, splash of

Mix all together.

Food Snob 22-04-2006 11:27 PM

5-spice plus one

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Mon 17 Apr 2006 08:03:43p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Rusty?
>

> > Blair P. Houghton wrote:
> >> Oh man. I just had the BEST pork chop ever.
> >>
> >> I mixed about a heaping teaspoon of 5-spice with a couple of aggressive
> >> dashes of Penzey's ground chipotle powder, then sprinkled it and some
> >> salt on a boneless pork loin chop that I'd dried and oiled with a
> >> little evoo. Tossed it on the grill (550-600F) for 3 minutes a side.
> >> Served with some rice that I'd steamed with a pinch of saffron and a
> >> split clove of garlic.

Have you ever tried Penzey's Aleppo chile?

> >> Total heaven. Good spice in the front; saltiness amplified by grill
> >> marks; sweetness from the anise; depth from the rest; grilled perfectly
> >> juicy.
> >>
> >> --Blair

> > You've invented 6-Spice Powder. GOOD GOD! "6" THE NUMBER OF SATAN! I
> > shall prey for you my brother!!
> >
> > And then I'll make some and try it myself.
> >
> > ;-)
> >
> > Rusty

> For my own taste, I think chipotle is highly overrated. My loss, I guess.

I agree. I think it's that I don't like the particular wood they use
to smoke it.

> --
> Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬

--Bryan

Wayne Boatwright[_1_] 23-04-2006 12:26 AM

5-spice plus one

On Sat 22 Apr 2006 03:27:01p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Food Snob?

> Have you ever tried Penzey's Aleppo chile?

I have to admit that I haven't. I'm due for a Penzey's order or visit to
the store sometime soon. Perhaps I'll give it a try.

>> For my own taste, I think chipotle is highly overrated. My loss, I
>> guess.
>>

> I agree. I think it's that I don't like the particular wood they use
> to smoke it.

Perhaps that's it. I like other things that are smoked.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________

Dee Randall 23-04-2006 02:42 AM

5-spice plus one

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
28.19...
> On Sat 22 Apr 2006 03:27:01p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Food Snob?
>
>> Have you ever tried Penzey's Aleppo chile?

> I have to admit that I haven't. I'm due for a Penzey's order or visit to
> the store sometime soon. Perhaps I'll give it a try.
>
>>> For my own taste, I think chipotle is highly overrated. My loss, I
>>> guess.
>>>

>> I agree. I think it's that I don't like the particular wood they use
>> to smoke it.

What is that wood? Is it mesquite?
Thanks,
Dee Dee

Wayne Boatwright[_1_] 23-04-2006 05:43 AM

5-spice plus one

On Sat 22 Apr 2006 06:42:51p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
Randall?

> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> 28.19...
>> On Sat 22 Apr 2006 03:27:01p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Food
>> Snob?
>>
>>> Have you ever tried Penzey's Aleppo chile?

>> I have to admit that I haven't. I'm due for a Penzey's order or visit
>> to the store sometime soon. Perhaps I'll give it a try.

>>> I agree. I think it's that I don't like the particular wood they use
>>> to smoke it.

> What is that wood? Is it mesquite?

I dunno. Penzey's bottle doesn't say.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________

Blair P. Houghton[_1_] 23-04-2006 05:23 PM

5-spice plus one

Dee Randall wrote:
> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> 28.19...
> > On Sat 22 Apr 2006 03:27:01p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Food Snob?
> >> I agree. I think it's that I don't like the particular wood they use
> >> to smoke it.

> What is that wood? Is it mesquite?

Usually. It's a scrub-tree in this part of the world. The smoke
flavor is sharp, not as mellow and as hickory or as sweet as applewood.

--Blair