FoodBanter.com

-   -   Reduction ad absurdum (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/88759-reduction-ad-absurdum.html)

[email protected] 15-04-2006 12:54 PM

Reduction ad absurdum

For the life of me I cannot reduce a sauce within the time a recipe
suggests. Any recipe. Never. I know a healthy simmer, but it just
doesn't cut it. Last night 4 1/2 cups made it down to 4 in 15 minutes.
The recipe suggested it should be 2 1/2 cups. Another 10 minutes got
it down to 3 cups where I just quit. Do recipes really mean boil when
they say simmer?

Okay it's humid down here, but I don't live in a greenhouse. And my G &
T's seem to evaporate too quickly. So what's going on with this
reduction bizness?

Mr Libido Incognito 15-04-2006 01:18 PM

Reduction ad absurdum

wrote on 15 Apr 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> For the life of me I cannot reduce a sauce within the time a recipe
> suggests. Any recipe. Never. I know a healthy simmer, but it just
> doesn't cut it. Last night 4 1/2 cups made it down to 4 in 15 minutes.
> The recipe suggested it should be 2 1/2 cups. Another 10 minutes got
> it down to 3 cups where I just quit. Do recipes really mean boil when
> they say simmer?
>
> Okay it's humid down here, but I don't live in a greenhouse. And my G &
> T's seem to evaporate too quickly. So what's going on with this
> reduction bizness?

Try a larger pan...larger surface area means faster evapouration.

--
-Alan

Sheldon 15-04-2006 01:36 PM

Reduction ad absurdum

wrote:
> For the life of me I cannot reduce a sauce within the time a recipe
> suggests. Any recipe. Never. I know a healthy simmer, but it just
> doesn't cut it. Last night 4 1/2 cups made it down to 4 in 15 minutes.
> The recipe suggested it should be 2 1/2 cups. Another 10 minutes got
> it down to 3 cups where I just quit. Do recipes really mean boil when
> they say simmer?

Can't really say, can't see your secret recipe. Some reductions call
for simmer, some can handle a fast boil, but need to see your secret
recipe. Also you may have a wimpy stove and you should be using a
large diameter pot... the greater the surface area the quicker water
can evaporate... most times the fry pan, braisier, or roasting pan the
food was cooked in is used for quick de-glaze-reductions. For
thicker/creamier sauces you need to reduce more slowly, and keep
stirring... who said it's easy...

Sheldon Schvitz

[email protected] 15-04-2006 07:41 PM

Reduction ad absurdum

Sheldon wrote:
> wrote:
> > For the life of me I cannot reduce a sauce within the time a recipe
> > suggests. Any recipe. Never. I know a healthy simmer, but it just
> > doesn't cut it. Last night 4 1/2 cups made it down to 4 in 15 minutes.
> > The recipe suggested it should be 2 1/2 cups. Another 10 minutes got
> > it down to 3 cups where I just quit. Do recipes really mean boil when
> > they say simmer?

> Can't really say, can't see your secret recipe. Some reductions call
> for simmer, some can handle a fast boil, but need to see your secret
> recipe. Also you may have a wimpy stove and you should be using a
> large diameter pot... the greater the surface area the quicker water
> can evaporate... most times the fry pan, braisier, or roasting pan the
> food was cooked in is used for quick de-glaze-reductions. For
> thicker/creamier sauces you need to reduce more slowly, and keep
> stirring... who said it's easy...
>
> Sheldon Schvitz

Lots of sauces; lots of pans. This last sauce, a tomato gravy; the pan,
Farberware 3 qt. The stove, a wimpy electric; but capable of producing
a steady simmer.

Saute; deglaze with
2 strips bacon, diced
1 cup onion, diced
1/2 cup red wine

Add and simmer
14 oz. beef broth
1.5 cups tomatoes, seeded, chopped
1.25 cup ketchup
2 T prepared yellow mustard
2 T brown sugar

Onions and tomatoes may have been slightly over recommended portions,
but the entire mixture equalled 4 1/2 cups in liquid measure. 25
minutes I simmered down to 3 Cups, pushing for 2 1/2. Maybe another 5
minutes would have done it, but that's 30 minutes, double what the
recipe recommended.

aem 15-04-2006 08:07 PM

Reduction ad absurdum

wrote:
> For the life of me I cannot reduce a sauce within the time a recipe
> suggests. Any recipe. Never. I know a healthy simmer, but it just
> doesn't cut it. Last night 4 1/2 cups made it down to 4 in 15 minutes.
> The recipe suggested it should be 2 1/2 cups. Another 10 minutes got
> it down to 3 cups where I just quit. Do recipes really mean boil when
> they say simmer?

I think most recipes just say, "reduce," and for me it's a boil unless
there's milk involved. Cream is no problem to boil. It's no big deal
if it takes you longer, once you've learned that and adjusted your meal
timing for it. The main thing is to get the sauce to the taste and
mouthfeel that you're looking for. Just keep tasting and testing.
-aem